Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 4, 2010, 12:39:25 PM
Administrator

Default Diamond and Pearl are already four years old

It seems so recent, but it has already been four years (well, roughly, depending on region) since the fourth generation debuted. I had a few friends and know plenty of people online who got started with Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. It's amazing in a way to already have significant nostalgia to something so recent, but it's also good to know that Diamond and Pearl played such an impact in my high school years that I remember it well.

I'm sure I've already posted somewhere on VR that Diamond and Pearl caused a little revolution between fans and non-fans alike at my high school, Advanced Technologies Academy. Well over a dozen people on the bus were in the Underground at the same time and people were trading and battling just like the first generation all over again, and the Action Replay wasn't a ubiquitous device either, and not many knew how to use Pokésav. Yeah, it was that "golden period" right after the game came out. I do hope BW have the same golden period for UNLV (the college I go to) as DP did for me at A-Tech.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 4, 2010 at 12:39:37 PM.
Old December 4, 2010, 12:49:34 PM
Kyurem

Wow, four years. Time flies by fast.
Old December 4, 2010, 12:51:46 PM
Volcarona

I simply cannot believe where the time has gone. It seems like just yesterday I was reading the English names of the generation four pokemon. Now generation five is upon us and I actually have a group of friends (though scattered across the world) to look forward to it with. In highs school, I was pretty much all alone xP
Old December 4, 2010, 01:05:52 PM
Volcarona

I could not believe it is the fourth year of the 4th generation pokemon. It feels like we knew them for a long time.
Old December 5, 2010, 03:12:47 AM
Shaymin

Four years already since Diamond and Pearl? That's a really long time. *Hugs 4 year old Luxray*
If Diamond and Pearl didn't come out when they did, I surely would have slowly forgotten about playing Pokemon, so thanks GameFreak for creating an amazing series that I can proudly say I met friends all around the world from it. ^~^
Old December 5, 2010, 04:10:35 AM
Rayquaza

It was Diamond that brought me back to Pokémon. It was Diamond that introduced me to many friends. It was Diamond that introduced me to multiple forums, one of them, and the best one of them, Victory Road. Therefore, thank you Diamond, and you Dialga will remain my favorite Pokémon.
Old December 5, 2010, 07:49:38 AM
Administrator

It's been four years already? Man where does the time go? As with Cat, I also remember our time during A-Tech when practically every other person with a DS was playing Diamond/Pearl. My Diamond is what helped bring me back into Pokémon (after becoming friends with Cat). I didn't actually get the game (which you lost) until October of the next year, but since I got it I couldn't put my DS down. Haven't really given it much attention since I got HeartGold other then for trading with myself. I just popped it back into my DS to look at the timer, it is currently at 165:52. thus making it one of the top games I have spent the most time with.
Old December 5, 2010, 08:25:08 AM

Wow, four years already? My, how the time flies. It seems like just yesterday I picked up my Diamond version and picked out Turtwig. Gen IV gave me a new-found passion for the Pocket Monsters again. I'm glad to say that I may have been normally waiting for Gen IV, I'm now proudly waiting for Gen V because of this generation.
Old December 5, 2010, 09:45:15 AM
Giratina

It's been four years already since the release of D/P? Man, time flies by so fast it renders me (and all of us) completely speechless and surprised. I find it fascinating that in what I might call 'a few days', I could be a full, grown-up adult before I even realize it.

Last edited by Shadow; December 5, 2010 at 09:47:33 AM.
Old December 5, 2010, 07:39:18 PM
Keldeo

Seems Like yesterday since they've been released though
Old December 5, 2010, 09:19:29 PM

Four years already...wow. I could of swore it seemed like not too long ago I was begging my dad to buy me the "Brand new Pokemon Pearl" game. o_O

Generation Five sure did creep up on me...
Old December 7, 2010, 06:55:47 PM
Kyurem

Thank you Diamond. I got it about a year after it came out from my cousin, and the game threw me out of the "only the first Pokemon games are the best" mentality. It also started my love of competitive battling, so for that I thank you, Diamond and Pearl.
Old December 8, 2010, 11:45:08 AM
Celebi

D/P released the best pokemon in the world, Rotom.
ROTOM IS 4 YEARS OLD :3
Old December 8, 2010, 02:00:47 PM
Volcarona

Seems like a way shorter time ago I got my parents to buy Pearl. (Although that was 3 or 2 and a half years ago...) That game's what brought me into Pokemon, choosing Turtwig as a starter, then, well, power leveling it. I really neglected all my other Pokemon, lol. Then I used AR to try to get past the Elite Four, then it got corrupted. Then my DS's hinges broke from rough handling. I sure was a dummy back in the day. But without that game I would have never gotten Platinum and SoulSilver, I would have never joined this exellent forum, I would have never gotten such amazing Pokemon such as my Lucario or Typlosion, I wouldn't even be a Nintendo purist. Heck, without my DS breaking I wouldn't of had my DSi and I would have never downloaded Flipnote Studio and joined Flipnote Hatena (Which I draw a bunch of Pokmon related Flipnotes with.) and discovered my own art style. It's all thanks to these games Pokemon is my #1 favorite franchise. (And the reason Lucario's my all-time favorite Pokemon. EDIT: Well, Platinum did that. XP)

Sorry for that huge run-on sentence. tl;dr version: This is the reason I don't have a Move.

EDIT: Err...Whoops. Didn't know this was in the "For Older Pokemon Fans" section. I just clicked on the latest post. Well, whatever. 030

Last edited by LucarioMario; December 14, 2010 at 11:22:14 AM.
Old December 8, 2010, 06:57:36 PM
Kyurem

Wow, 4 years...back when I wasn't actually that fanboyish about Grass Pokemon. >.<

But seriously, it feels like only a while back when I first picked up Diamond and started playing...at can't believe its been so long...phew.
Old December 12, 2010, 07:04:45 AM
Giratina

Really? It's been four years? Wow, I didn't even notice. Wait, I was 11 years old when D/P came out? Wow, I never noticed.
Old December 14, 2010, 11:18:50 AM
Joltik

Well, gen 4 was a pretty good run I must say. I was a freshmen in high school when the games first came out in the U.S. DP was actually pretty fun for me. Chasing team Galactic, training Turtwig, catching Dialga and battling Cynthia were all halmarks for me. I'll also never forget that battle With Maylene. She was quite a doozy for me to handle. But I look back with fond memories. Although I didn't like when my idiot roommate lost my Platinum a year ago. I had to reorder it on Amazon and didn't actually complete the Platinum storyline until this year.

Good times though.
Old December 27, 2010, 07:59:53 AM
Volcarona

I remember the hype the game got with me and my friends. Unfortunately, D/P would be their last pokemon game. Now all they do is Brawl, Halo, L4D, etc...

Has it really been 4 years?
Wow.
I still remember playing Pokemon Red on my GameBoy Color for the first time while driving on vacation, and that seems like only 4 years ago.
Time flies indeed.
Old December 31, 2010, 05:57:08 AM
Zoroark

Playing Red for the first time seems that long ago for you?

But really, where does the time go? I remember being 6 years old, my friend talking about this awesome game that he loves called "Gold Version," and I remember him raving about it all the time, leaving me to wonder what the heck he was talking about, what is this "Ice Path" you're stuck on? Then I got it and I loved it so much I got all the way through Johto within a week at most, while he'd been stuck on the ice Path for months XD
Old December 31, 2010, 09:24:29 AM
Zoroark

Its been four years! *checks calender*I remember I got it when it first came out and I was like 8 years old.
Old January 3, 2011, 12:28:46 PM
Giratina

I remember when that came out...it was my 3rd Pokemon game(Not mainstream, in general)
I do have much more nostalgia for the Mystery Dungeon series, seeing as how it started me off, but there was so much hype around Diamond and Pearl. The commercials, the promos, the styli, it was really great. I made many good friends from having started off with it, heck, my favorite Pokemon are all from Sinnoh (excluding Charizard) and that region gave me my current love of Grass Types, and I do think and hope that Black and White will receive just as much love and excitement as Diamond and Pearl did.
(Pokemon Diamond or Pearl as your first Pokemon game FTW)
Old January 25, 2011, 09:24:23 AM
Linoone

Wow, 4 years? I remember back in 2007, I bought Pearl. Best 3 nights of my life, and I was hooked further.

Geez, it's like yesterday. I remember everything, even parts before the Japanese version was released. That. Was. Awesome.
Old January 27, 2011, 03:23:29 PM
Servine

4 years ? Doesn't sound that long but it does seem very,very long. I remember seeing commercials for Pearl and Diamond.
Old January 31, 2011, 08:13:11 AM
Zoroark

To think I still never got Diamond or Pearl. Been thinking about jumping straight to Platinum but I still can't find it any cheaper than the $35 they want for it at Best Buy.

It's like I'm stuck in a time warp again.
Old January 31, 2011, 09:54:31 AM
Administrator

Pokémon games have and always will be expensive. Oddly, it seems like the game stores have caught on. Everything since the Game Boy Advance ones ('coincidentally,' the ones that are still compatible to have their 'mons sent up to Black and White indirectly) are still quite overpriced.

Used prices (US Dollars)
Ruby/Sapphire: ~$18-25
Emerald: $25-40
FireRed/LeafGreen: ~$20-25
Diamond/Pearl: $30
Platinum: ~$35
HeartGold/SoulSilver: ~$40

Yep, I don't see this changing until the 3DS comes out. The main series Pokémon games on that will follow the same high-price pattern...except from what I heard, they will probably be a whopping $50 to $60 each USED.
Old January 31, 2011, 10:58:57 AM
Shaymin

Doubt it. 3DS games should have an average normal price of $40(except for a couple 3rd parties upping it to $50 for some reason, however all the Nintendo stuff is at $40), Pokémon games will probably be no different. The normal DS game was $35 and the only reason HG/SS was $40 was because of the Pokéwalker. Unless Gray or the R/S/E remakes have some sort of extra physical item tossed in, they should be about $40 - $45, though i'd bet my money on $40.

Last edited by OMGITSJAD; January 31, 2011 at 11:00:49 AM.
Old January 31, 2011, 03:52:02 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Pokémon games have and always will be expensive. Oddly, it seems like the game stores have caught on. Everything since the Game Boy Advance ones ('coincidentally,' the ones that are still compatible to have their 'mons sent up to Black and White indirectly) are still quite overpriced.

Used prices (US Dollars)
Ruby/Sapphire: ~$18-25
Emerald: $25-40
FireRed/LeafGreen: ~$20-25
Diamond/Pearl: $30
Platinum: ~$35
HeartGold/SoulSilver: ~$40

Yep, I don't see this changing until the 3DS comes out. The main series Pokémon games on that will follow the same high-price pattern...except from what I heard, they will probably be a whopping $50 to $60 each USED.
I can't even remember what I paid for Emerald, and I've yet to buy anything used on my own so far. HG/SS still selling for $40 apiece brand new months after I bought them in October.

I'm not entirely sure myself why I'm so weary of buying games used, but then again I've only shelled out for stuff I know I really want. (Like HG/SS. )

Old January 31, 2011, 04:12:06 PM
Administrator

Well, the only thing you really have to worry about when buying used games is getting scratched discs. Those are really annoying, especially when the game freezes before you get a chance to save, and you can't just eject the disc and put it back in to continue (such as on the original Xbox).

I also hope that Pok‚mon Black and White are able to give me the same nostalgia that Diamond and Pearl provided for me.
Old January 31, 2011, 04:15:01 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
I also hope that Pok‚mon Black and White are able to give me the same nostalgia that Diamond and Pearl provided for me.
You should know by now considering you played B/W in Japanese already. :V
Old February 10, 2011, 10:48:08 AM
Administrator

I am more referring to the social atmosphere of being with others (in person) with BW than actually playing the game.
Old April 20, 2011, 01:58:11 AM
Servine

Four years...long, long four years. Thank you, Gamefreak, for the wonderful Black and White. I was hoping that Diamond and Pearl would not be the last one. Although there are some very, very few likeable monsters, the game itself was not my thing. It's a pity that RSE was released on the GBA and DPPt on the DS and not the inverse.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:33:55 PM
Cyndaquil

Yeah first year of high school with a pokemon diamond on my hand.. Now im in college with a white lol!!
Old October 27, 2011, 02:25:56 PM
Joltik

Default Its been 4 years already? o: your stupidest D/P/PT moment ever!

Wow I get nostalgia goosebumps when I listen to the ancient music ;D.
What is your stupidest moment in D/P/PT history?
I was on the quest for a shiny pokemon, I finally encountered one and... every pokemon collecter's nightmare... empty pokeball compartment. -.-'' I was so mad and yet so embarrassed. xD

Last edited by Feraligatr; October 27, 2011 at 02:26:23 PM.
Old October 27, 2011, 03:28:28 PM
Landorus

I was battleing ghost type pokemon, when I used A normal type move even though I knew that Normal types didn't affect Ghost types. XD
Old October 28, 2011, 04:53:29 AM
Rayquaza

When I first bought Platinum, I made my team consisting of the six basic and main Pokémon: Infernape, Empoleon, Torterra, Staraptor, Luxray and Bibarel. I thought that was good, but now I think of it as boring and monotonous.
Old October 28, 2011, 04:56:40 AM
Giratina

Whoah boy... Was I stupid :I

Remember the void? And tweaking on the bike to get there? Yeah, just a heads up - Don't save in there.

I lost everything :l
Old October 28, 2011, 04:12:40 PM
Kyurem

I loved using the Action Replay to enter Mystery Zones previously unreachable without the use of hacking.
'Twas fun.
Old October 29, 2011, 09:45:36 PM
Regigigas

My stupidest moment with D/P/P? Just about everything from when I first bought Diamond to when I lost it on a bus a year or so later. Like, all of it-- I was still horrible at pokemon at the time, believe it or not.
Old October 30, 2011, 07:06:37 AM
Shaymin

For the life of me I COULD NOT figure out how to get to Volkner's gym! It took 3 game restarts and a video walkthrough to help me figure it out... I felt dumb.
Old October 31, 2011, 10:08:02 AM
Zoroark

water vs grass
Old October 31, 2011, 02:20:45 PM
Charizard

My most fond memories were of back when I first got Diamond all the way up to the end of Grade 8th at school.
I remember one of our friends had an Action Replay, and one day I came to school and told the others that we could catch Darkrai and Shaymin if we used the Walk Through Walls code (I later found out about the cheats that directly gave you the event items.)

One other memory was when I already had Platinum, I believe.
I found out that by using Action Replay, you could add Wondercards and mystery gifts to your save file.
I had to input every single cheat by hand because I couldn't figure out how to use the ARCM with my AR.
But then when I finally got a green man in the PokéMart to show up and give me a TRU Manaphy, I was really happy even though I had cheated for it.
I spent a good part of the night picking up the various event Pokémon that were released in the USA.

I also remember that on November 6th 2009, I had to go to my friend's house and he doesn't have internet access.
Arceus was released in Toys'R'Us on November 7th, so I was not able to obtain the Wondercard online and generate a cheat code for it, but I was happy to find out the Australian Arceus was released on November 5th, so I was able to make an AR code out of it and get it + give it to my friend. (My AR messed up later this weekend and the entire code list for Diamond would freeze my AR whenever I would attempt looking at it.)
Old November 4, 2011, 01:57:21 PM
Kyurem

I remember the underground, I miss that.
Old November 4, 2011, 02:26:07 PM
Landorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquablast View Post
I remember the underground, I miss that.
Guess what? You aren't alone. I only play Platinum because thats the reason.

And that reminds me of when I was striking that black rock that you can't get just because it said I could get 4 things.

Last edited by 7dewott8; November 4, 2011 at 02:26:26 PM.
Old November 5, 2011, 02:32:41 PM
Administrator

Merged with the existing thread. My story is on a previous page.
Old November 12, 2011, 06:08:40 PM
Charizard

On Diamond I obtain all 493 without cheating, months after the save data got corrupted :/

Last edited by Manny1250; November 12, 2011 at 06:10:39 PM.
Old November 12, 2011, 06:11:23 PM
Giratina

My only regret in 4th gen was not paying enough attention to events.

Now I don't think I will ever get a legit Arceus.
Old November 13, 2011, 04:41:01 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post

They never released the Azure Flute in the first place. I hate them for that.
Old November 22, 2011, 08:30:31 PM
Servine

Holy... they felt like yesterday!
Old November 23, 2011, 04:56:39 AM
Giratina

Thinking back to 4th gen, I already have a feeling of nostalgia. I now want to go back and playthrough Diamond again. In fact, I think I will.
Old November 27, 2011, 02:10:13 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post

Got Black/White?
I can pretty much guarantee at this point that Arceus will win the poll, so you'd be able to get one on there.
Old December 11, 2011, 01:29:03 PM
Kyurem

Honestly, it felt like four years. With the releases of Platinum, HG/SS, and B/W, D/P just feel obsolete.
Old December 28, 2011, 11:29:37 AM
Regigigas

Never forget
Old January 12, 2012, 03:53:57 PM
Zoroark

Oh my. Gosh I'm old. It's certainly has been awhile though.
Old January 15, 2012, 03:34:16 PM
Floatzel

That means...I was 8 1/2 when I played Pearl! Wow, that was such a long time ago...My adventure started Dec. 25th...the day I got back into pokemon after missing 3rd Gen entirely...(And thus, Silver started stalking forums she vowed to one day join!)

LOL, I had no idea I was supposed to get the HM Surf..I spent almost an entire month trying to figure out where the heck I was supposed to go after Hearthome city. x)

Last edited by SilverX; January 15, 2012 at 03:36:43 PM.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:18:09 PM
Kyurem

I replay my diamond or plantinum version every once and awhile. I havnt played my old yellow or red version since well cause they are lost 0.o, but i do play my old gold or crsytal versions sometimes.

Last edited by kakashidragon; January 15, 2012 at 11:18:28 PM.
Old January 29, 2012, 07:52:52 AM
Cyndaquil

I know the feeling xD I often catch myself playing my old silver version xD
Old February 7, 2012, 12:10:43 PM
Administrator

Interestingly, ever since HeartGold and SoulSilver, I've barely touched Diamond/Pearl/Platinum except for breeding.
Old February 7, 2012, 03:19:46 PM
Kyurem

I went back to playing diamond with action reply just try some things with AR. Normally i just use AR for items but i just wanted to play around with it on diamond.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM
Magikarp

Dear god 4 years feels like just yesterday i picked up emerald version for the first time my first ever game and my first pokemon Treecko
Old May 16, 2012, 10:11:49 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Interestingly, ever since HeartGold and SoulSilver, I've barely touched Diamond/Pearl/Platinum except for breeding.
Quite the opposite here, actually. HeartGold had a nice plot that kept me engaged with the game for a very long time. However, for post-game experience, Platinum remains as number 1. This is probably due to the fact that my competitive battling was in Platinum.