Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 6, 2012, 04:33:45 AM
Kyurem

Default What do you think of removable storage in general?

Removable storage has come a long way since its infancy. Remember floppy disks? I sure don't remember much about them anymore these days. Now we're flooded with USB flash drives and DVDs and memory cards and all that new stuff.

It sure is convenient being able to store loads and loads of data on tiny devices, considering the fact that SD cards are apparently on the 64GB train and the size can only go higher with SDXC XD Flash drives and portable hard disks are also pretty convenient and sizable respectively.

What do you think of removable storage, especially modern removable storage?
Old May 6, 2012, 04:49:28 AM
Giratina

It definitely makes working on projects easier when you have to move from computer to computer (say going from home to school/work). Had removable storage not been made the way it is now, it would be difficult to transfer software from one computer to the next, at least, when it's your own software that you are working on.

I'm not sure if anyone could think of what life would be like without removable storage. Or rather, I'm not sure if anyone would want to.
Old May 7, 2012, 03:04:43 AM
Rayquaza

They are great, and can't be any more comfortable. If USB drives didn't exist, most of our work couldn't be accomplished, or would be way slower. Plus, portable hard drives are exceptionally well when it comes to storing movies and games, and can still be portable in my pocket.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:36:37 PM
Giratina

They're excellent pieces of technology that I rely on like every single day. Though I found myself without the need for my personal flash drive nowadays, months ago I wouldn't leave the house without my Flash Drive attached to my hip.
In fact, for last year, we would fail English if we didn't bring at least a 4 Gig flash drive.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:45:51 AM
Regigigas

I've found more and more uses for it every now and then. From storing my Xbox Live profile to sign in on other Xboxes, to keeping small games and favorite web browsers, I'm not sure what I'd do without it. I wish I had a whole basket full of thumb drives in all shapes and sizes so I could just reach down and grab one for use.

When 3.0 USB drives become more of a standard, I'll probably start keeping my music collections on, though I keep my 10.05 GB library on a 16GB microSD card for my Android.

Wow, I love removable storage.
Old May 28, 2012, 09:25:53 AM
Zoroark

I am using microSD memories in USB mSD readers for removable storage. My current one has 8GB and everything is actually in the \Content folder, with the root being protected from read/write at NTFS level to prevent autorun viruses from hitching a ride.

I love removable storage. The following picture illustrates my relationship to USB drives.

Old June 1, 2012, 11:52:08 AM
Administrator

I love having a flash drive and portable hard drive. Well, nowadays, cloud synchronization takes care of most of the duties of the flash drive, but the portable hard drive is definitely a must. I work with multi-gigabyte video files often, and transferring those between computers in a few minutes is certainly convenient. It's also a great way to install lots of large programs for multiple computers without them eating away at internal space on each. (Anyone know where to find a laptop IDE drive larger than 40 gigs cheaply?)
Old June 25, 2012, 04:11:44 PM
Zoroark

I have a Dropbox and a USB drive, and I lost a good one because I forgot to take it out from school computer.

I still use my USB drive for my final project because:
- Internet can fail, the teacher spent hour to hook up library Internet to the laptops
- USB drive is faster

Then, I spent some of my time unloading my Dropbox files into my school's personal storage because school does not allow installing Dropbox client and even if it does, the data get wiped after I log out ("deep freeze" OS image).

At home, I scan my drawing on another computer, and use USB drive to transfer.

Now I have a car USB drive. I tried to kludge it into the speaker.

Last edited by SpaceMan++; June 25, 2012 at 04:14:22 PM.
Old July 3, 2012, 05:28:11 PM
Administrator

I use a USB drive to transfer large files or quickly transfer files between computers where I don't have access to my SkyDrive account. (I used to use Dropbox, but 25 GB on SkyDrive for older users made me drool, and the Web interface works fine on most devices.)

It definitely is quite convenient, and I absolutely use them for quick, local backup of important stuff. My external hard drives get quite a work-out (except when the power outlet decides it doesn't want to work >_<).
Old July 31, 2012, 01:16:47 PM
Charizard

DropBox?
I have 100GB of free storage space on Filetrip, much better deal IMO.

I have a 2GB USB drive which I've had for three years and used it to store pretty much everything.
Recently got a 4GB one instead and transfered everything onto it, noticed there was a folder full of "folders" (read: corrupted mess showing up as folders taking tens of GB's each) on the 2GB one.
But nothing was corrupted on my drive, so it was okay.

A friend of mine was still using floppy disks to get stuff from his computer to the school's computers three years ago, since he had a very old computer (It had a "Ready for year 2000 sticker" on it.)
Old July 31, 2012, 01:39:57 PM
Giratina

I've found USB drives very useful throughout school, from bringing work to and from school to exploiting the school's security system. >:3

Also without SD cards I wouldn't have been playing Twilight Princess earlier with loads of cheats on. The super Spinner and Infinite Clawshot are bloody awesome!