Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 7, 2012, 01:04:12 AM
Kyurem

Default I'm a trackpad convert.

I've always hated trackpads and insist on using a mouse on pretty much every computer. I almost always try to plug in a USB mouse on a laptop if I'm going to use it for extended periods because laptop trackpads on Windows computers are notoriously poor. They're too insensitive and clunky to use.

Then I got a MacBook Air.

I must say that it's probably one of the best trackpads that I've ever used. So good, that I could skip the mouse on even FPS games if I ever need to play one. It's responsive, it's durable, and it's super-convenient - you can always click on the trackpad no matter the location, and it makes precise input heaven.

What do you think? Would you rather use a mouse than a trackpad on a laptop?
Old July 7, 2012, 01:08:47 AM
Administrator

It really depends on the application. For most normal uses, either one is fine as long as it's not a crappy touchpad (I can't count how many laptops I've used that have poor pads) or a gimmicky mouse with too many buttons (I hate forward/back browsing buttons). For precision or first-person view games, I usually prefer a mouse. (Touchscreens can never replace this.) For compact design, I prefer a touchpad.
Old July 7, 2012, 03:48:55 AM
Kyurem

I've always hated trackpads. Like, really hated them. I'll use one if I absolutely have to, but I'll use a mouse whenever I can. Now I'll admit, the Air's pad is very nice, but there's just too much to remember. Four fingers to drag, swipe three to the right for the dashboard, etc.; and I'm not even sure if I'm getting those right. My Synaptics-enhanced pad just seems more... intuitive.
Old July 7, 2012, 04:10:20 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
I've always hated trackpads. Like, really hated them. I'll use one if I absolutely have to, but I'll use a mouse whenever I can. Now I'll admit, the Air's pad is very nice, but there's just too much to remember. Four fingers to drag, swipe three to the right for the dashboard, etc.; and I'm not even sure if I'm getting those right. My Synaptics-enhanced pad just seems more... intuitive.
You don't need to remember all that.

Just remember that the entire trackpad can be physically clicked.

I only really need to know the single click and the right click (two-point-click) commands in both OS X and Windows, really. Or tap, if you're feeling lucky. And the two-finger scroll (did you know that your fingers can be spread apart?)

Last edited by Twiggy; July 7, 2012 at 04:10:46 AM.
Old July 30, 2012, 09:55:25 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
or a gimmicky mouse with too many buttons (I hate forward/back browsing buttons).
This is probably because you may not play many competitive FPS games afaik. Being able to bind those buttons to a melee stab or scope is a bit more convenient than binding to V or something, and allows you to keep your fingers on the movement keys instead of having to adjust your fingers back or around on the keyboard when you can just use one of your free fingers on your mouse instead.
As seen when it's probably the main reason my knife is my #3 weapon. :>
Old August 28, 2012, 01:11:28 AM
Kyurem

Personally, I do see the hate of trackpads. I've used recent Windows laptops, and even then, most of the time, it's either the speed's that's wrong, or the feel of the trackpad itself. I've seen a lot of them with unresponsive scrolling, or that feels icky while moving my finger on it. It's usually a very good idea to have the trackpad to be one smooth, shiny surface. And it better not be smaller than around 4.3" and also has to be wide enough, or it'd be super-annoying trying to scroll with precision.

Tell me: what do you think of your trackpads?
Old August 28, 2012, 01:12:23 AM
Regigigas

I use a track pad cause I don't have a mouse.
Old September 19, 2012, 06:47:05 PM
Charizard

I totally agree with you. I hated using the trackpad on my laptop when I first got it but after a while I've gotten used to it. I still prefer using the mouse over the trackpad, especially when playing games.