Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 9, 2012, 07:16:19 AM
Kyurem

Default Smartphone keyboards - how do you like them?

This Lumia 900 I have is probably the first time I find vertical orientation typing to be actually fun. Probably because there's enough space on the keys this time around.

What about you guys?
Old July 9, 2012, 08:54:10 AM
Giratina

In Portrait, typing on a keyboard can be pretty hard for me. My thumbs are huge, but with Swype, things are a lot easier, if I want to put up with the constant word errors. In Landscape, I can put up with pretty much any keyboard. With my Xperia Play, I prefer to use the Android Keyboard over the Swype keyboard, even thought it doubles some letters there are a lot less mistakes in my typing, AND it's fast.
Old July 12, 2012, 12:40:30 PM
Kyurem

With my iPod Touch, it took a while to get used to it, but I actually prefer portrait to landscape when typing. Or browsing for that matter. Relying on autocorrect, I can still type at a decent speed. It's just that typing "I'm" is a big pain.
Old July 12, 2012, 01:50:15 PM
Administrator

I personally dislike virtual keyboards and prefer something tactile. Then again, I haven't been forced to use one unless using someone else's phone.
Old July 12, 2012, 01:53:53 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I personally dislike virtual keyboards and prefer something tactile. Then again, I haven't been forced to use one unless using someone else's phone.
I'm the opposite; I hate being forced to use those keyboards on phones with the tiny keys. MY THUMBS TAKE UP THE WHOLE KEYBOARD WHAT IS THIS.
Old July 12, 2012, 02:49:31 PM
Giratina

I'm actually okay with both kinds of keyboards. When I had a texting phone, my speed was the same as with my Xperia Play and comfortable, too. However, my favorite will always be the large enough one I have sitting safely under my desk.
Old July 12, 2012, 11:44:15 PM
Shaymin

Touch screen phones are my specialty. I can type faster on them, without looking (which is impressive, considering there isn't anything on my screen to use as a landmark for where my fingers are), than I can on my laptop. And I don't mind actual keys, it just takes about 5 seconds to adjust and I'm off typing at my regular lightning speed.
Old July 13, 2012, 01:09:46 AM
Shaymin

I'm okay with either orientations, the auto correct kills me though.
Old July 13, 2012, 01:46:09 AM
Kyurem

I've noticed that Windows Phone autocorrect is awkwardly passive compared to iPhone and SwiftKey autocorrection. It seems to want to be really, really sure that it's really a typo before doing something to it. That might have something to do with me liking my new phone.

Last edited by Twiggy; July 13, 2012 at 01:46:24 AM.
Old July 13, 2012, 02:02:15 AM
Rayquaza

With the iPhone I bought yesterday, I got to experience its virtual keyboard. Needless to say, a laptop's materialistic keyboard is way more convenient, but the iPhone's is still manageable. I remember having a Nokia Xpress Music with a virtual keyboard and that was a true pain.
Old July 13, 2012, 02:12:44 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
With the iPhone I bought yesterday, I got to experience its virtual keyboard. Needless to say, a laptop's materialistic keyboard is way more convenient, but the iPhone's is still manageable. I remember having a Nokia Xpress Music with a virtual keyboard and that was a true pain.
I guess a 3.5" screen isn't a whole lot of screen real estate when it comes to keyboards.

I still have memories of T9 input before our family went all touch.
Old July 13, 2012, 09:07:06 AM
Giratina

I prefer laptop keyboards > my windows 7 phone keyboard.. But still, I like the perks of the smilies on the phone keyboard
Old July 13, 2012, 09:12:09 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
But still, I like the perks of the smilies on the phone keyboard
Different languages may get different set of smilies! The Chinese keyboard has a different extended set of smilies to be used. xD

Did you know that you can long-press on keys to reveal accented characters and alternate characters (other currency signs, other kinds of brackets, smart quotes...)

You don't have to switch keyboard maps when you type normally - hold on the period key, and other nice stuff shows up.

Last edited by Twiggy; July 13, 2012 at 09:12:40 AM.
Old July 13, 2012, 09:24:09 AM
Giratina

oh no mine has a smilie button and it changes the keyboard map. But still, its still helpful. My most used one is probably the <3 xD
Old July 13, 2012, 02:13:48 PM
Giratina

When I was playing around with my iPod, I noticed all the different things each key would activate when pressed down, so I started playing with those. And that's why I never type the word "Pokemon." I always use "Pokémon."
Old July 22, 2012, 05:30:00 AM
Regigigas

I myself prefer the actual physical keyboard, but there are a few third-party software keyboards that work really well. I use Swiftkey X myself and it has some really smart auto-completion, so it's at least livable.
Old July 22, 2012, 07:43:17 AM
Shaymin

I can only speak for an iPhone, and the keyboard for that seriously is bad. It is completely glitchy. It sometimes pops up on the main screen, which is utterly annoying. Sometimes (which I call sticky keys) the keys pop up to show that I pressed it and then stays. That is one thing that is annoying. So that is why I don't like it. But I do like how you can download other keyboard to make symbols and such.
Old July 22, 2012, 03:55:23 PM
Regigigas

I can't stand virtual keyboards unless I have to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no virtual keyboards allowed.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	3287  
Old July 22, 2012, 04:07:47 PM

My old smartphone, a Palm Pre Plus, had tactile buttons that were hard to press. You had to really squash your thumbs against the knobby keys to get them to click and it made me sore. Typing was a workout. I'll take the iPhone's autocorrecting virtual keys any day.
Old July 23, 2012, 03:53:37 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio View Post
My old smartphone, a Palm Pre Plus, had tactile buttons that were hard to press. You had to really squash your thumbs against the knobby keys to get them to click and it made me sore. Typing was a workout. I'll take the iPhone's autocorrecting virtual keys any day.
I guess that might be the reason why QWERTY keyboards on smartphones went out of style when capacitive touchscreens became the norm, no?