Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 9, 2012, 08:00:51 PM
Administrator

Default Why do they keep crippling Ubuntu?

I decided to try out Ubuntu Linux again today for fun, and...well, I could barely use it at first. It's so different from the last version I used and feels sorta like a Mac but not quite. It's a bit confusing, and I miss when it was easier and simpler.
Old July 9, 2012, 09:44:03 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I decided to try out Ubuntu Linux again today for fun, and...well, I could barely use it at first. It's so different from the last version I used and feels sorta like a Mac but not quite. It's a bit confusing, and I miss when it was easier and simpler.
Someone was probably trying a bit too hard in the user interface department. The interface reminds me of someone making a hackjob out of Windows 7 and OS X, and failing hard with it. This is what happens when your applications don't seem to be designed for it.

Poor execution killed everything it had. It's probably the worst Linux distribution that I have ever used in my life...
Old July 9, 2012, 09:50:44 PM
Administrator

It's kind of funny, too. I used to remember Ubuntu as being the distribution. It was one of the easiest and friendliest to use, and I always kept Live CDs around just in case I had to rescue data from a virus or damaged OS before reformatting. Now, I just don't know if I can keep that recommendation. I wonder if it can be "fixed" (can't believe I have to use that word) to look like it used to.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:12:51 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
It's kind of funny, too. I used to remember Ubuntu as being the distribution. It was one of the easiest and friendliest to use, and I always kept Live CDs around just in case I had to rescue data from a virus or damaged OS before reformatting. Now, I just don't know if I can keep that recommendation. I wonder if it can be "fixed" (can't believe I have to use that word) to look like it used to.
I think Kubuntu still exists. It's better than the hackjob that is Unity, at least.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:29:17 PM
Administrator

I'll have to give that a try.
Old July 10, 2012, 05:05:53 PM
Zoroark

I think I can reserve a USB for Ubuntu, but my car USB is for ReadyBoost (after research, I know I should use it for graphic computations).

Last time I stopped using Ubuntu because of tablet, Photoshop, SAI and Orbiter.
Old July 10, 2012, 05:27:46 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that's the one thing preventing Linux from taking over a large portion of the market in general consumer computing: the small number of applications in comparison.
Old July 10, 2012, 11:37:42 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Yeah, that's the one thing preventing Linux from taking over a large portion of the market in general consumer computing: the small number of applications in comparison.
If no one uses it, there won't be apps. If there aren't apps, no one will use it. That statement is a pretty hard one to digest...

Windows Phone 7.x also precisely (used to) had (have) that problem, but all its apps are well-executed, so it's quite a moot point - especially with 100,000 apps and counting.
Old July 10, 2012, 11:53:53 PM
Administrator

I think what would really help is if more Windows packages were generally available for Linux (and Mac) too. Compiling on all three systems may not be all that easy, though, especially for one-man companies.
Old July 11, 2012, 02:37:25 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
I think what would really help is if more Windows packages were generally available for Linux (and Mac) too. Compiling on all three systems may not be all that easy, though, especially for one-man companies.
I think OS X has a sort-of-sizable market share (if you count high single digits as sizable), so more and more stuff gets ported there. Performance, on the other hand...
Old July 31, 2012, 01:08:47 PM
Charizard

Nothing prevents you from installing a previous version, you don't have to systematically install the latest distribution.
Old July 31, 2012, 07:16:45 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingouin7 View Post
Nothing prevents you from installing a previous version, you don't have to systematically install the latest distribution.
Lack of ongoing support notwithstanding, that is. (One thing I like about Windows is support is guaranteed for 10 years at the very least.)
Old August 1, 2012, 02:04:03 AM
Administrator

Yep, that's exactly why I am a bit careful with out of date systems. Vulnerabilities can be a pain, too.
Old August 1, 2012, 08:47:23 PM
Volcarona

Is very handy
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Ubuntu non-stupid version
http://linuxmint.com/

My favorite version of linux right now is "ice cream sandwich" aka: android it hits the right balance of new interface and usability.

Last edited by KingOfKYA; August 1, 2012 at 08:52:12 PM.
Old August 2, 2012, 12:00:28 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfKYA View Post
Is very handy
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Ubuntu non-stupid version
http://linuxmint.com/

My favorite version of linux right now is "ice cream sandwich" aka: android it hits the right balance of new interface and usability.
I just went and downloaded Damn Small Linux instead. I'll check it out, though. As for Linux Mint, nope, I can't get over the appearance.

Android? Hate it. What's the use of a mobile platform that needs at least a capable dual-core processor to run smoothly?
Old August 30, 2012, 12:13:14 AM
Floatzel

i used to use ubuntu, now it's way too difficult.