Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 22, 2012, 12:46:56 AM
Kyurem

Default What's the use of huge hard disks, anyway?

Right now, with my computer free of any other partitions, I have around 81 GB free out of 120 (counting only the single partition accessible).

It's actually really workable with that, there being a lot of space to store practically too much music. As for Windows and games, well, I think I'll be going to and from the fridge that is the Steam Library more often than usual... (I'm planning to give it only 40-60 GB this time around.)

That got me to think about my desktop back at home. 500 GB of storage (470 in practice), but what should I do with it? It's not the fastest drive out there anymore, and the big storage seems unusable since it's stuck to a desktop. Sometimes I do miss the leeway, but having a semi-limited amount of space sometimes does induce us to manage our space more efficiently and not go digital pack-rat.
Old July 22, 2012, 01:17:24 AM
Regigigas

I don't know, Turt, you'd be surprised what some people can do with such limited hard drive space, as I have 250GB, and about 30GB is left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	You'd be surprised.PNG
Views:	376
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	3283  
Old July 22, 2012, 01:26:46 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashArmy View Post
I don't know, Turt, you'd be surprised what some people can do with such limited hard drive space, as I have 250GB, and about 30GB is left.
o.O My, that's a whole lot of music in there! And pictures, too! I back up my stuff to an external and the cloud when it starts to get a bit tight. I think I love micromanagement. (Failing that, for music, I can always redownload from iTunes)
Old July 22, 2012, 01:37:32 AM
Administrator

I edit videos. When capturing HD footage, I compress it with Pegasus Imaging's PICVideo MJPEG codec, which features a good balance of quality, CPU usage, and filesize. A typical 3-hour 720p60 or 1080i60 video may be 100 gigs or more, and a single night of gaming can eat through 300 gigs of space. Of course, these files get compressed down to only a few gigs each (and some boring videos just get deleted or scaled to smaller sizes). So yeah, I can vouch for the necessity of terabyte drives.
Old July 22, 2012, 01:43:18 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I edit videos. When capturing HD footage, I compress it with Pegasus Imaging's PICVideo MJPEG codec, which features a good balance of quality, CPU usage, and filesize. A typical 3-hour 720p60 or 1080i60 video may be 100 gigs or more, and a single night of gaming can eat through 300 gigs of space. Of course, these files get compressed down to only a few gigs each (and some boring videos just get deleted or scaled to smaller sizes). So yeah, I can vouch for the necessity of terabyte drives.
Out of curiosity, why are you recording at 60 FPS when most video uploading services throttle down to 30 anyway? I think you could make YT store and show 60 FPS videos if you try, though.

Speaking of terabyte drives... Hmm, I've wondered about the Thunderbolt port that the laptop has. Thunderbolt... well, you could consider it as USB jacked up to eleven, faster than USB 3.0, even. The problem is that such devices are so expensive, it hurts.
Old July 22, 2012, 05:26:09 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you recording at 60 FPS when most video uploading services throttle down to 30 anyway?
Because it's better to have more then lose than to have less and have to gain.

And yeah, you'd be surprised. I tend to backup DVDs that I buy so I can easily watch them whenever I want without having to pop the DVD into the DVD player. It adds up really fast.

And then there's minecraft. Depending on the size of a world you play in, a world can take up to several gigabytes of drive space.
Old July 22, 2012, 05:56:11 AM
Kyurem

For me, while my 230 gig drive may be a little cramped (after less than two years I have around 74 GB left on it), anything around 400 or more should be more than enough for me.
Old July 23, 2012, 10:07:43 PM
Shaymin

Cause if you're like me and want to have all your 200+ Steam and other games at all times without having to redownload something randomly then you're thankful for a terabyte.
Old July 23, 2012, 10:37:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you recording at 60 FPS when most video uploading services throttle down to 30 anyway? I think you could make YT store and show 60 FPS videos if you try, though.
Who said I was posting them to such services that impose such limitations (including lack of interlaced video support) and not uploading them elsewhere or burning BD backups?

Besides, I'm required to capture all 60 frames when recording in 480p or 720p, or it just won't work.