Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 3, 2012, 08:48:31 AM
Kyurem

Default Do you bother with software-based audio processing?

You know, most computers and many portable devices allow you to set up a software-based equalizer and tweak the sound output in one way or another. There are also options for improving audio output on deficient hardware, as with a lot of Windows laptops and Dolby/other tech used to male the laptop speakers not sound tinny.

I don't use them, to be honest. I prefer my audio unaltered. Sometimes the "improved" audio sounds wrong.
Old October 27, 2012, 02:50:09 PM
Administrator

I usually leave them off unless attached to a cheap speaker system. A common issue with cheap speakers is very poor bass reproduction, and sometimes that bass is heavily distorted.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:02:38 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I usually leave them off unless attached to a cheap speaker system. A common issue with cheap speakers is very poor bass reproduction, and sometimes that bass is heavily distorted.
There do exist speakers so cheap that no amount of processing will save the audio - the dynamic range can only go so far even at 24-bit output.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:21:01 AM
Administrator

I did once have a set of speakers that made everything sound like FM radio due to strange waveform compression, similar to automatic volume leveling, except it went just a little too far and clipped.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:36:55 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I did once have a set of speakers that made everything sound like FM radio due to strange waveform compression, similar to automatic volume leveling, except it went just a little too far and clipped.
Or was it Loudness Equalization left on? I know Realtek's implementation leave a lot to be desired - the audio volume is very uneven.