FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 14, 2012, 04:25:36 PM
Giratina

Default Video Games are not to Blame

*sigh*
Just... look...
Hold on, let me get something out of my system.
Vent    

Much better... not really though.

So from what I've heard, and I'm sure a lot of you guys have also heard, some people out in the world have traded their brain functions for a Rolex Watch and say that video games are a cause of violence in kids nowadays. And I have to say what I think right now:

I completely agree. I really do. There's nothing more evil or sinister out there than video games.
I mean, just look at this diabolical game that has been corrupting kids ever since the 70's:

Isn't that just pure evil? It's games like these that are to blame for all the violence that's present in kids. It's not the parents' fault, nor is it peer pressure's fault, oh no, the blame rests solely on video games.

I say we sign a petition that bans twisted video games such as this from ever being on the market. Maybe, just maybe, we can solve all the violence present in the minds of children.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:21:50 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
*sigh*
Just... look...
Vent    

So from what I've heard, and I'm sure a lot of you guys have also heard, some people out in the world have traded their brain functions for a Rolex Watch and say that video games are a cause of violence in kids nowadays. And I have to say what I think right now:

I completely agree. I really do. There's nothing more evil or sinister out there than video games.
I mean, just look at this diabolical game that has been corrupting kids ever since the 70's:

Isn't that just pure evil? It's games like these that are to blame for all the violence that's present in kids. It's not the parents' fault, nor is it peer pressure's fault, oh no, the blame rests solely on video games.

I say we sign a petition that bans twisted video games such as this from ever being on the market. Maybe, just maybe, we can solve all the violence present in the minds of children.
Yo dawg, I get what you mean.

Postal 2 is my favorite game and it's the least evil thing ever but people don't like it for some reason.

What's wrong with using cats as silencers while I dress up as a police officer to kill random civilians? They deserve it, after all they laughed at my character when I unzipped my pants in front of them.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:51:46 PM

Quote:
*sigh*
Just... look...
Vent    

I agree with your standpoint to some extent, video games are only one of hundreds of possible stimuli for violence. Psychosis and political motives are more common factors to spur massacres.

Your sarcastic straw man argument doesn't hold, though. You're trying to hint that video games as a whole don't encourage violence because children's games, a minor subset of games, exist. It's like saying some lions are trained not to kill people, therefore you can intrude on a lion's territory in the safari and not expect to get mauled. Children can be exposed to both benevolent and violent games, as shown by hearing 10-year olds on voicechat on Halo, Call of Duty, etc. Your premise doesn't support your conclusion.

Last edited by PokeRemixStudio; December 14, 2012 at 06:23:21 PM.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:00:11 PM
Giratina

PRS makes a point there, Quaddy. While it's obvious that this is a sarcastic joke post in response to the many oblivious adults who blame all games for causing violence in children, all of your games barely even scratch the E10+ rating. As we should all know, today's age has a surplus of M rated games because that's the (not very innovative or fun after the first 2 titles) popular demand. Then the children play it, and they're influenced by the content, which could mold their minds into being more violent. It happens in a similar way to you learning your first language.

However, you are right in that those adults are totally wrong. It's not the games that are causing problems, it's the PARENTS. They just LET them play adult games for some reason. ALL THESE SYSTEMS COME WITH PARENTAL CONTROLS FOR A REASON, THERE ARE NO EXCUSES.

(But I will admit, losing so many times at Pong all those years ago has turned me into the mad psycho killer I am today.)
Old December 14, 2012, 09:18:32 PM
Administrator

I'll just say this: I highly suggest watching the Penn and Teller BS episode titled "Videogames."

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 14, 2012 at 11:48:31 PM. Reason: Piracy.
Old December 15, 2012, 12:11:23 AM
Rayquaza

That episode is an example of a much simpler and older games that doesn't prove any point besides sarcasm. What we need to focus on as an example is the current video games, with the enhanced graphics and real-like experience.

One cannot deny that current video games contain gruesome images of people getting slaughtered and smothered. They also contain extensive amount of blood and weaponry. Those who are subjected to such ideas and at a young age are greatly influenced by them. They get attached to an extent where seeing such things in real life becomes normal to them.

Whether these children become violent or not could be debated, but the fact that children lose their innocence with what they are experiencing is not a good sign to a brighter future.

Last edited by The Spirit of Time; December 15, 2012 at 10:11:15 AM.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:01:25 AM
Giratina

You see, I purposely went with a majority of EC games in that sarcastic post because adults are blaming video games in general for violence in kids. Because they aren't specific, that would mean they think all games are to blame. I do think some M rated games affect a child's behavior to an extent, but it would be the parents' fault for buying the M rated games in the first place, which is why I sarcastically said "It's not the parents' fault."

Kids could always buy M rated games over the internet via Steam because they can easily lie about their age on the internet, but that would also be the parents' fault for not monitoring what their eight-year-old child was doing on the computer.

It's obvious I was trying to make a point in my post and I didn't feel like typing out a gigantic rant about how adults are quick to blame video games for violence in kids - that would be boring to type and to read. The point of the post was to see how invalid of a statement "Video games cause violent kids" is without being specific and adults should look for other causes of violence in kids before jumping to conclusions.

In the end, I blame the parents for violent kids. Maybe because they bought the bloodiest and most violent game for their kid when he was only 6 or because the parent is neglectful and doesn't really care what their child does. Can't jump to conclusions, otherwise you've just sold your brain for a Rolex Watch.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; December 15, 2012 at 05:04:53 AM.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:16:40 AM
Rayquaza

Video games are only a piece of an endless chain of factors that are spreading violence. If you want to discuss violence itself, then the list continues to include parenting behaviour, wars across the globe, crimes in the cities, etc. Nevertheless, it is not bad to say that video games are a source of violence, as this should encourage us to try and halt the spread by awakening parents to the effects and ensuring stricter rules and laws that prevent children from buying a matured rated game.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:24:12 AM
Administrator

How about what Nintendo is doing about it? Now if only parents were charged this same fee (or a refundable fee or something) to confirm they at least have a bank account.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 15, 2012 at 10:24:27 AM.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:53:46 AM
Rayquaza

Just going to say this, Japan has has all the same violent video games we have and they have one of the lowest violence rates in the world.

In all honesty I think all of you people are overreacting it's just something we shouldn't care about at all.

Last edited by Magmaster12; December 15, 2012 at 11:55:16 AM.
Old December 15, 2012, 12:31:25 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Just going to say this, Japan has has all the same violent video games we have and they have one of the lowest violence rates in the world.
Japanese parents are also very strict on how they discipline their kids while some US parents don't discipline their kids at all and find discipline to be a bad way of teaching a kid.

Which brings me back to my point of the parents being at fault for violent kids.
Old December 16, 2012, 06:17:35 AM
Regigigas

I actually find violent video games to be more of a stress reliever than a violence creator. Sometimes, when I'm really upset about something [something that's extremely rare] I pop in Mad World and take it out on pixels instead of others. So in some instances, violent games are a good thing.
Old December 16, 2012, 06:44:51 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Japanese parents are also very strict on how they discipline their kids while some US parents don't discipline their kids at all and find discipline to be a bad way of teaching a kid.

Which brings me back to my point of the parents being at fault for violent kids.
And how do you know that?
Old December 16, 2012, 10:45:19 AM
Giratina

Quote:
And how do you know that?
One of the things we learned in my Japanese class was the culture of the people. Kids know their place and never step out of line. If they do, they can be punished by any adult, even if they aren't the parents.

In the US, more laws are being passed that try to protect kids from violence, making it harder to discipline kids because now parents can't even touch their kids if it's just a light smack that would normally tell them they can't do that.
Old December 16, 2012, 12:04:21 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Speak of cultures you are familiar with for yourselves. Junko Furuta has never had justice.

Last edited by hinorashi; December 16, 2012 at 12:06:48 PM.