Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 16, 2012, 09:54:12 AM
Administrator

Default Rockstar wants a "dream" GTA title?

It looks like Rockstar has been contemplating the idea of a Grand Theft Auto game where you can go to all currently available cities, similar to the dream idea I've heard a lot for the Pokémon games.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/rocksta...report-6401593

Looks pretty interesting, but I'm curious how they'd pull something of that magnitude off.

What do you think?
Old December 16, 2012, 09:57:09 AM
Shaymin

I assume that it can mean you going to the airport and buying a ride to one of the other cities.

But damn, that would feel good to be able to travel to different cities so I'm not just creating havoc on one city scape.
Old December 20, 2012, 01:30:33 PM
Haxorus

Wow that would be awesome, imagine the amount of missions you would have to do lol..
Old December 20, 2012, 01:59:42 PM
Charizard

It would have the same problem as the "All regions in one game" game has: As soon as a new game is out, the game doesn't have all regions/areas anymore.
Old December 20, 2012, 02:15:37 PM
Zoroark

Spoiler Alert:    

Here's what I've been told is the leaked map.

Last edited by PokeRemixStudio; December 20, 2012 at 02:27:47 PM. Reason: Spoiler for large image
Old December 20, 2012, 04:40:33 PM
Shaymin

Where is Liberty City? or am I an idiot for not mistaking it with Vice city...

...Also Bacon County.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:45:26 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubab_107 View Post
Where is Liberty City? or am I an idiot for not mistaking it with Vice city...

...Also Bacon County.
I think Vice City is supposed to be more of a Florida setting, not NYC. So, the map seems to be wrong.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:59:43 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
I think Vice City is supposed to be more of a Florida setting, not NYC. So, the map seems to be wrong.
Like I said, I was only told it was the leaked one, I never said I was sure
Old December 20, 2012, 05:29:05 PM
Administrator

First off, that map isn't leaked of anything. Rockstar merely said they were just considering the idea, we got no mention of it even possibly being a reality yet. Besides, the map is missing something very obvious: Liberty City (New York, which they wouldn't just rename to Sin Lake City). It also can't be the map for V since it is only Los Santos (Los Angeles) and the surrounding desert area (so no San Fierro (San Francisco), Las Venturas (Las Vegas) and certainly not Vice City (Miami, Florida)).

Another problem Rockstar said would be the more "modern day" Vice City. The charm of Vice City wasn't so much the city as it was the theme. A perfect caricature of the 80s (bright neon colors, exotic cars that look like space ships, "mobile phones the size of a briefcase", all while jamming to synthesized music) plus the sunny drug-laiden town of Miami was a perfect match. Re-imaging Vice City to a more modern world would just seem bland compared to the big city of New York and the gang and drug crimes of LA.

Would I love to see everything combined into one giant country? Absolutely! Is it going to happen? Certainly not anytime soon.

Last edited by Yoshi648; December 20, 2012 at 05:34:07 PM.
Old December 20, 2012, 06:33:06 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
First off, that map isn't leaked of anything. Rockstar merely said they were just considering the idea, we got no mention of it even possibly being a reality yet. Besides, the map is missing something very obvious: Liberty City (New York, which they wouldn't just rename to Sin Lake City). It also can't be the map for V since it is only Los Santos (Los Angeles) and the surrounding desert area (so no San Fierro (San Francisco), Las Venturas (Las Vegas) and certainly not Vice City (Miami, Florida)).

Another problem Rockstar said would be the more "modern day" Vice City. The charm of Vice City wasn't so much the city as it was the theme. A perfect caricature of the 80s (bright neon colors, exotic cars that look like space ships, "mobile phones the size of a briefcase", all while jamming to synthesized music) plus the sunny drug-laiden town of Miami was a perfect match. Re-imaging Vice City to a more modern world would just seem bland compared to the big city of New York and the gang and drug crimes of LA.

Would I love to see everything combined into one giant country? Absolutely! Is it going to happen? Certainly not anytime soon.
Well not so fast. It could happen very soon. The Elder Scrolls: Arena is a rather old game by todays standards, and they fit an entire continent into it, so why can't rockstar fit one country in a CD, if Bethesda can make an entire continent on a floppy disk (that's what the save button on most things looks like for all you youngsters)?
Old December 21, 2012, 11:53:09 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheKiller View Post
Well not so fast. It could happen very soon. The Elder Scrolls: Arena is a rather old game by todays standards, and they fit an entire continent into it, so why can't rockstar fit one country in a CD, if Bethesda can make an entire continent on a floppy disk (that's what the save button on most things looks like for all you youngsters)?
You realize how much content would be in a game if Rockstar put the the entire map of Liberty City, Vice City, and Los Santos? Games are drastically more detailed than they were in the days of floppy disks and as a result they are drastically larger. Back then, you could store an entire game in a floppy disk, but now you'd hardly be able to store 5 pictures taken from a camera on a floppy disk.

We all know just how massive each GTA game is, but try placing three massive GTA games into one disk - sure, it could happen, but would we want it to happen? Ever play Just Cause 2? That game's setting was an island country and travel times were awful because of the map size, even with magic grapple hook, infinite parachutes, and the ability to purchase jets with ease. Trying to get around a map with three GTA maps in it while being restricted to travel methods available in any GTA game would be a nightmare. A majority of your playtime would be traveling from one place on the map to the next.