Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 11, 2013, 02:54:24 AM
Kyurem

Default Anyone has a dream console revision that you wish it existed?

For me, I find the 3DS XL to be something that is just right, but after reading the "useless features of the 3DS" thread, I just thought, "what can the 3DS have to be made better?"

Aaaaand... Let's see... if a 3DS revision like this existed I'd be in 3DS heaven.
  • A proper IPS panel for the screen with impressive, high-end smartphone-like viewing angles in 2D mode. The current screens wash out horribly when viewed from the side. Hey, at least it didn't invert.
  • Likewise, automatic brightness settings. I hate having to adjust the brightness depending on the surroundings, eh?
  • It'd also make a lot of sense for the screen go way brighter than what it's like now. Even at plugged-in brightness 5, it's pretty dim for an LCD.
  • The 3DS desperately needs more working space for multitasking. Either giving it at least double the RAM and fixing the firmware to allow two concurrent "classic" 3DS games/apps to run, with one at the foreground, and another tucked away safely, easily resumed, OR allow virtual memory usage on the SD card. (Think hibernation files for apps, or app tombstoning) Beef up other things slightly to compensate for workload juggling.
  • VGA cameras are just... OK for AR and nothing much else. Even 1.2 MP is a huge improvement, and 5 MP is pretty good (and entirely printable at A4) for something low-end. (Best part? You can bin a 5 MP photo to VGA easily.) Sensor quality also needs improvement considering that the FFC snaps better than the rear, and the DSi snaps better than the 3DS (!).
    Even my feature phone with its VGA camera snaps better...

I can dream, right? I'd gladly pay up extra for a 3DS "DX" or something.
Old April 11, 2013, 01:17:05 PM
Administrator

As cool as automatic brightness is, I'll have to disagree on having it on the 3DS. My previous laptop had a photosensor on it, as did our HDTV in the living room, and they were probably the only devices I've seen that did it right. The brightness gradually faded to match the room you were in, and that TV had quite a dynamic range. The two cheap monitors I've seen, however, instantly shifted to the brightness, and it can be incredibly distracting when the tree just outside the window blows in the wind and causes the amount of light that hits that sensor to vary a lot. We've since turned it off on that TV. If the 3DS did receive such a photosensor, it'd definitely need to be the fading kind because it's mobile and can move between shade and sun quickly.

I strongly agree on the multitasking and camera, of course.

Anyway, back on the actual topic:
  • Any kind of official video capture or large screen viewing device for the current range of Nintendo handhelds. I've seen mods in the range of $150~300 to install such components into the DS and 3DS, but they really aren't practical enough for common folk to use. C'mon, Nintendo, you teased us with the Game Boy Player, and many other handhelds have composite, component, or HDMI ports (or the ability to adapt to those ports) on them.
  • No region locking on applicable systems. While this doesn't matter too much to me anymore, I know a lot of English-speakers outside the United States would love this, even more than Americans wanting Japanese games.
  • The ability to use your Nintendo Network ID in the same way as your Xbox Live Gamertag. The primary reason here is to tie purchases to the user and not to the console, with the secondary reason being to eliminate friend codes. (Friend codes aren't that bad now that you only have one.)
Old April 12, 2013, 03:57:54 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
As cool as automatic brightness is, I'll have to disagree on having it on the 3DS. My previous laptop had a photosensor on it, as did our HDTV in the living room, and they were probably the only devices I've seen that did it right. The brightness gradually faded to match the room you were in, and that TV had quite a dynamic range. The two cheap monitors I've seen, however, instantly shifted to the brightness, and it can be incredibly distracting when the tree just outside the window blows in the wind and causes the amount of light that hits that sensor to vary a lot. We've since turned it off on that TV. If the 3DS did receive such a photosensor, it'd definitely need to be the fading kind because it's mobile and can move between shade and sun quickly.
Eeyup. I think the 3DS will also need a sliding brightness if it's hard-coded... (I've seen devices whose automatic brightness do not have to be "stuck" with its own pre-set brightness levels (Windows Phones with a low, medium, and high brightness setting, but they can use anywhere from lower than low to higher than high, and anything in between with auto). The ambient light sensor also has to not be too hyper and respond only after a set period of time in a certain light condition to adjust. (Smartphones get this.)

Quote:
I strongly agree on the multitasking and camera, of course.
Indeed. It's a sore point for many, eh?

Quote:
Anyway, back on the actual topic:
  • Any kind of official video capture or large screen viewing device for the current range of Nintendo handhelds. I've seen mods in the range of $150~300 to install such components into the DS and 3DS, but they really aren't practical enough for common folk to use. C'mon, Nintendo, you teased us with the Game Boy Player, and many other handhelds have composite, component, or HDMI ports (or the ability to adapt to those ports) on them.
  • No region locking on applicable systems. While this doesn't matter too much to me anymore, I know a lot of English-speakers outside the United States would love this, even more than Americans wanting Japanese games.
  • The ability to use your Nintendo Network ID in the same way as your Xbox Live Gamertag. The primary reason here is to tie purchases to the user and not to the console, with the secondary reason being to eliminate friend codes. (Friend codes aren't that bad now that you only have one.)
I kind of want them, too. On the other hand, though, money is... well... yeah.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:13:36 PM
Giratina

I remember there being a thread like this earlier. Oh well, something about my two portable systems.

There's little I'd do to the 3DS. Shoulder buttons that don't suck, a bottom screen made to look like a WIi U GamePad thing, much much much better cameras, and, if possible, a working way of 3D that doesn't suck. Oh, and Gamertag-like things for the Nintendo Network.

For the PSP (Not the Vita, I don't have one yet) it'd be an improved Circle Pad, a SECOND Circle Pad, never again the use of UMDs ever, a more common SD card rather than the lame Memory Stick, and bigger buttons. I won't even say anything about the Go, that was just a flop. Thankfully I heard most of these revisions are on the Vita already.

For ALL systems I'd lower the price of the games. Not much, just by like $5-10. Constantly forking out 40 for one 3DS game is... it's all TOO much.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:29:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
never again the use of UMDs ever
I won't even say anything about the Go
You sure you won't?
Old April 15, 2013, 01:23:13 PM
Giratina

"Never should UMDs be used again, but when Sony tried to have the PSP without them, it was stupid and should never be done again."

In all seriousness though, with the PSP Go being download-only, it cut-out people in areas with limited or no internet. By the looks of it, the PSP Go might be the predecessor of "Always Online" functions in games (and quite possibly the Xbox 720).

If I had only one revision to consoles, I'd have two off the top of my head - For the 3DS, make the bottom portion slightly bulkier bottom-half to accommodate for people with larger hands so it doesn't feel like my fingers are trying to pinch the 3DS while my index fingers stretch to the shoulder buttons.

For the GameCube, my only revision would be make more games compatible with the GBA Connector and have more things to do with the GBA Connector on games that are compatible with it.