Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Do gamers complain too much about games, gaming companies, and the gaming industry?
Yes, gamers are crazy about finding things to whine about. 12 48.00%
Yeah, they complain when they feel fervid about something. 10 40.00%
Nah, they only complain when something is seriously wrong. 3 12.00%
Nope; in fact, gamers don't complain enough. 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old June 16, 2013, 03:09:32 PM
Administrator

Default Do gamers complain too much?

Let's ignore the very obvious hypocrisy of this thread's coexistence with certain other threads for a moment and look at a bigger picture. Gaming is a great hobby, and it's extremely easy for many of us to complain about the quality of upcoming gaming products, existing gaming products, or simply untrue fantasies about gaming products.

What's your take on it all?

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 16, 2013 at 05:36:27 PM.
Old June 16, 2013, 04:31:39 PM
Rayquaza

We're all guilty of letting out criticism once in while, but there are certainly numerous example of gamers going going way to far.

Like the fact that so many people were upset by the ending of Battlefield 3 the developers decided to stop making games altogether.
The amount of Rage you recieve from your typial twelve year old Call of Duty Player on XBox Live.
More then half of all gamers response to whether or not they play Pokemon.

Here's the issue with all that, we're taking our games for granted because of it criticizing video games is far more common then praise. When ever a new Pokemon game would come out I would immediately see people on this other forum go on pointing out how angry they were about the minor flaws and not what made the game itself awesome.

Sure there are game reviews that try to bring out the positive aspects, but people take the criticisms so easily and the 1 to 10 rating system good/bad rating system isn't helping out much either.

The best thing to do is to just wipe it off, don't get mad if a game doesn't have multiple save files or cloning procedures be happy that you get to play a new game with all new features to pass the time.
Old June 16, 2013, 05:11:04 PM
Administrator

Yep, the amount of complaining has certainly gone up in gaming. These are some of the factors I see in it:

1. Gaming has become more mainstream. During the 80s and 90s, gaming wasn't as common as it was today. Back then just meeting anyone else who likes videogames was instantly your friend. Now practically every child has at least one gaming platform (be it an actual gaming system, web browser based game, or smartphones). Since it is more varied and everyone is into it, there are more people into it, thus more opinions, and thus more arguments.

2. The internetz. People from around the world can now talk with each other acting like "big men" while hiding behind their keyboard and monitor. Obviously with this people are more likely to be foul-mouthed and express their opinions of "I'm right, you are wrong and are dumb if you think otherwise). Of course anything in existence can fall into this.

3. Fanboy/nostalgia blindness. OMG XBOX IS BEST THING EVER!! PLEASE IT ISN'T FIT TO EVEN KISS THE GROUND PS4 IS ON!!!!! ANYTHING NOT MADE BY NINTENDO SUX!!!! People like giving blind allegiance to something and quickly dismiss anything else. There are still plenty of closed-minded people in the world who only like one thing and don't want to try something else because it might change their opinion. Honestly it's like religion, but that's another can of worms. Also as Pokemon fans, we are all well versed of nostalgia blindness (ANYTHING PAST 1ST GEN SUX!!!!!1111) and how people don't want to try anything new because it's different than what they had in the past. Some will say what they had as a child was the best, while others will say only the latest and greatest is the best.

4. People take stuff for granted. When we were younger, getting a new video was a rare occasion beyond birthdays/holidays. As such getting a new game was magical, and you wanted to enjoy it as much as you could. Yes even if it were a low quality game, we still tried to make the best of it. Now being older it's easier to get our hands on greater quantity games. As such it's easy to complain about the flaws of one game because you have all these other ones you played to compare it to. In addition, some people have busy lives and are lucky if they can complete a game within a month. Others however will race through the game as quickly as possible, and then rant about everything they saw on line. It also should be obvious that "first world problems" certainly applies here.

5. People...WILL...complain...about...ANYTHING. End of discussion.
Old June 16, 2013, 05:49:11 PM
Shaymin

I can't really say.

I have seen some extreme points of complaining where I just thought they were being childish and then some extremes where I actually understood why they were angry. Of course people are going to complain. But sometimes you have to consider the market you want to appeal to. It may kill your credibilities, but your getting what your aiming for. (For the most part.)
Old June 16, 2013, 06:07:07 PM
Rayquaza

I think one contributing factor would be companies like EA Games charging for DLC and other aspects, when we put more money into something it's only fair to expect the best.

Last edited by Magmaster12; June 16, 2013 at 06:07:55 PM.
Old June 17, 2013, 12:25:11 AM

No, gamers don't complain too much. We have the internet, where the opinions of millions flow freely. If it's popular media, it's subject to as much criticism and complaints as consumers bother to express, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Is it harsh? Is it excessive and unwarranted? Maybe if you're a naive indie game developer making a free game that demands little of its players (it probably wouldn't even be popular enough for critics to bother). But we're talking companies with dozens of people working on a marketed product in a commercial environment. I don't usually expect the concepts of sympathy and corporations to pair up.

If a fanbase is irked by a game's feature and they unanimously blast it, is that an unnecessary amount of complaining? No, you need the numbers to provide a sense of scale and perspective, in your audience's distribution of opinions. You can't hand-pick whose opinions get to represent the quality of your work; you can't just hire Chinese people to leave positive replies on your broken Sim City game and say "these people over here say it's good so it's good".

The same applies for film, if your movie was mediocre to your audience, the disappointment must be adequately counted to demonstrate that your movie was in fact, lame. Regardless of how much effort it took to produce. (very arbitrary example)

Such is life in the realm of money-making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Like the fact that so many people were upset by the ending of Battlefield 3 the developers decided to stop making games altogether.
EA Dice and its founders are still around, they went on to make Battlefield 4.

Wait, you mean Mass Effect 3, right?
Quote:
More then half of all gamers response to whether or not they play Pokemon.
What's this referring to and how is it representative of gamers complaining too much?

One last note: the wording of the poll is wack. I'd like to say that gamers complain when they're irked to the slightest degree, which is not an excessive amount of complaining the way I see it. Objective observations and subjective evaluations aren't universally paired.

Last edited by PokeRemixStudio; June 17, 2013 at 12:50:59 AM.
Old June 17, 2013, 12:55:29 AM
Zoroark

The wording of this thread and arrangement of this thread create a false dichotomy. As an entertainment media, video games are targeted towards their audience. Their success or failure is measured by whether or not people purchase their game or console. My apologies if this is a shock to anyone currently wearing a fedora and jeans, but considering video games as an art form created for the developer and immune to criticism is a selfish view which will lead to commercial failure. Video games should be made for the audience.

The complaints provide feedback which the company can tap in to see what is wrong if it's constructive. Even in the case of deconstructive criticism, the company has failed to provide a desirable product and knows that they have done something wrong. The game company is held responsible to its share holders and customers to ultimately make a profit to keep its doors open. If it fails to meet this obligation, it will not stay in business. If customers are unhappy, they will ultimately take their business elsewhere.
Old June 17, 2013, 03:57:07 AM
Giratina

A lot of gamers never seem to be happy with anything that a developer/publisher seems to do. They complain about a certain game not having a certain feature, so the developers add that in for the next game, but then the gamers complain about other features in the game. It's like no matter what a developer does, a large amount of people are going to be unhappy with their game.

A good example I can think of in recent time is the cancelled MegaMan Legends 3 project. If I remember correctly, MegaMan Legends 1 and 2 were received with iffy-looks, but when MML 3 was cancelled, a lot of Capcom fans were insulted and flew into a rage over the cancellation. It confused me because of the iffy-looks MML 1 and 2 got and made me think fans complain to their favorite companies just to annoy them.
Old June 17, 2013, 04:22:47 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio View Post
Yes that's what I was referring to.
Quote:
What's this referring to and how is it representative of gamers complaining too much?
This must not happen to you a lot but nearly every person I run into and ask about Pokemon has a complaint to share about it.
Old June 17, 2013, 05:30:54 PM

Quote:
Yes that's what I was referring to.
I don't know if you've read the article but that's not what happened http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Bio...ity,18015.html
Old June 17, 2013, 05:32:35 PM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio View Post
I don't know if you've read the article but that's not what happened http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Bio...ity,18015.html
Still, it's the ending the everyone seems to talk or even care about.
Old June 17, 2013, 06:52:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinorashi View Post
The wording of this thread and arrangement of this thread create a false dichotomy.
Should I add any more poll options?
Old June 17, 2013, 07:07:51 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
A lot of gamers never seem to be happy with anything that a developer/publisher seems to do. They complain about a certain game not having a certain feature, so the developers add that in for the next game, but then the gamers complain about other features in the game. It's like no matter what a developer does, a large amount of people are going to be unhappy with their game.

A good example I can think of in recent time is the cancelled MegaMan Legends 3 project. If I remember correctly, MegaMan Legends 1 and 2 were received with iffy-looks, but when MML 3 was cancelled, a lot of Capcom fans were insulted and flew into a rage over the cancellation. It confused me because of the iffy-looks MML 1 and 2 got and made me think fans complain to their favorite companies just to annoy them.

I couldn't agree more man. Almost everywhere I go I see people complaining about the game devs work on games. Like fable 3 for example, since it was the last thing that I saw. Now yes, could they have done a better job on the game, other than to make a game? Yeah. But the thing gamers have to realize is that there are deadlines that the devs have to reach, and they sometimes can't be pushed back, Sonic '06 for example. Making a game takes time and effort. But making a great game take dedication, and can't be held back by deadlines.
Old June 18, 2013, 04:26:28 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheKiller View Post
But the thing gamers have to realize is that there are deadlines that the devs have to reach, and they sometimes can't be pushed back, Sonic '06 for example. Making a game takes time and effort. But making a great game take dedication, and can't be held back by deadlines.
From what I remember, Sonic '06 was rushed to "completion" just so it could be released for Sonic's 20th year (I also heard the demos that were set up in stores were less buggy than the actual game). It was not Sega's intention to release it on the 20th year, but the fans wanted a Sonic game for Sonic's 20th year and Sega did not want to disappoint.
Unfortunately, the disappointed a lot of people.

Sometimes, game developers need to take a step back and look at a very successful developer; a good dev to look at would be Valve - Yes, they take awhile to develop games, but that's because they don't set deadlines, they don't rush their employees, and they work on making the game as enjoyable as possible. Listening to the developer commentary on some Valve games is actually quite interesting.

When it comes down to it, I think gamers complain as much as they do because they expect perfection out of every game and want the next game faster than developers can develop them.
Makes them sound spoiled, doesn't it?

Last edited by Quadcentruo; June 18, 2013 at 04:28:36 AM.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:28:01 AM
Giratina

There is always something somewhere inside one person that they will dislike about news. And they well say it, get it out to the public, and have followers in their dislikes. You cannot 100% please a large heterogeneous mixture like gamers all the time.

I just feel the people who dislike something and then take it too far because everyone else does are unnecessary.