Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 27, 2013, 03:24:18 PM
Keldeo

Default Playstation Vita

Since there isn't a thread already, bit surprised, I'll start one. Since I've got the shiny black system now along with a few games which so far I'm very positive about, well apart from one point but that has two sides to that coin.

Without further adeu the cake bit to this portion, well main course, the system. Handing it and playing it for long periods of times can be problem-matic but that may come down to how I hold the thing. I've lost blood flow a bit and that's a bit annoying when you play the games, most the action game Gravity Rush. The thumb sticks aren't to bad size wise but with such large and lanky hands as I have I wish they were larger, but they are better then the PSP (another fantastic system).

The layout is like your PlayStation controller which makes it look like a Wii U control pad. The buttons as small as they are work, very responsive and far enough apart your thumb doesn't have a tendency to try to press them all at once.

The system in weight doesn't seem to be much more then the 3DS or a DSi XL systems that I tend to play for long hours which means less stress on you wrists.

The games I have make minimal use of the fact it's a giant touch screen (very crisp and gives off a clear picture I might add) but the features it does have that use it work well. Dodging in Gravity Rush by swiping the screen, swiping is also used to go through the comic book like storytelling which again works it's purpose. It's there but the game play doesn't seem to be built around hey look you can touch me. I haven't gotten a game that uses the back touch pad so far but I'll likely go get one at a later date (probably used). The Start and Select buttons are a bit fiddly to hit as they only barely pass the face of the system making it hard to know where they are, thankfully they aren't used in quick game play so not sure if to raise the good or bad flag yet.

Games:
The thing that can drive or kill a system is the games. A reason I didn't get this system until now. The games it did have out didn't seem interesting enough at the time and I had my DS and 3DS with all their glory keeping my nose from wandering. I ended up getting a playstation tittle; Little big Planet, a sports game; hotshot golf, along with Gravity Rush; more of an action tittle but I haven't gotten that far into it.

Little Big Planet PSVITA
Overall I'd say a good game, not terribly tough yet (haven't beaten it so I'll get back to you) the controls are pretty crisp and carry over from Little Big Planet on the PS3. Grabbing things is a shoulder button instead of one of the face buttons. Walking speed depends on how hard you tilt the left thumb stick.

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
For a golf game I'm very happy with how well it plays, you are given a lot of options, like the ability to play it like if your actually playing the round or flying to where your hitting your ball to scope thing out. Putting is the toughest part and requires a lot of finesse which makes making those long puts so much more worth it because you don't get a line that says PUT HERE *cough cough* Kinect Sports season two *cough cough*. When your hitting the ball you can control the spin by where the impact zone is on the ball along with whether it slices or a draw. You get points for completing rounds which you can buy new characters, clubs, balls, outfits, music; standard guff really. The clubs and balls play with your stats which gives you flexibility to working the character to compensate where your weak or have issues. You like any of the Mario Golf tittle I do suggest this game it's wonderful.

Gravity Rush: One that happened to catch my eye while in best buy I didn't end up doing any research on it and dived in. It's a purchase I'm very happy about. The controls are a bit more difficult as they require thought in battle and quick control of the mechanisms, which makes it fun because it's not something I get from other games. You start out as a women who has lost her memory and the ability to control gravity around her for a limited time, can be expanded by getting the upgrades. "Mini games" show up as you fix the city and give you a large opportunity to real in the points you need so you can upgrade.

I'm liking all my purchase except one thing: no manual. Which opens me up to getting 'em used since I'm not losing anything by doing so, well except the online pass which I will keep in mind; something I will likely use on both LBP and HSG.

Overall great system that for me finally has tittles that I got the system and a couple games. The idea I can use it with the PS4 intrigues me and think it has remote play with the PS3 which I will later have to mess with.
Old July 27, 2013, 04:10:50 PM
Rayquaza

*Looks*

Yeah Good Luck.
Old July 28, 2013, 11:04:42 AM
Kyurem

I think the decision to drop any physical BC (rendering all the UMDs essentially stuck in the past) and a high price tag relative to the 3DS at the PlayStation Vita's launch essentially killed it in most markets (you have to factor in the proprietary card system the Vita uses, that is mandatory for some games to even save. All Nintendo 3DS games, like Nintendo DS games, almost always have a non-volatile save area to store at the very least simple save information.). It's a nice system, but... a healthy game library, bolstered by BC, without being priced out of reach to be usable, is important, especially to new buyers.
Old July 28, 2013, 03:30:30 PM
Keldeo

I do agree that the price to just get a memory card is nuts it's cost me 20 dollars just to get an 8 gb one and that's only because it was on sale. In that sense I hope a company makes a micro to Vita save card here soon, so you can have a work around. All the games I have required to be able to install to the memory card to be able to play them.
Old August 12, 2013, 09:36:17 AM
Charizard

Good job on getting the Vita. While I do prefer the 3DS over the Vita and DS over the PSP, I still say that both the PSP and Vita are good portable game systems with good game libraries.