Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 28, 2013, 08:13:01 AM
Kyurem

Default The Nintendo 2DS (not a typo)

Kotaku article here, as it made it here first, somehow.

I... er... what... what's going on... I'm pretty sure today's no April 1st.

Probably will still print money for Nintendo.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:14:22 AM
Giratina

Now people who can't afford a 3DS can play X and Y!
Old August 28, 2013, 08:19:53 AM
Volcarona

Why can't you fold it? Why are the buttons on the top half??
Old August 28, 2013, 08:28:01 AM
Regigigas

K, yeah, uh...what? Ni-nintendo-- NINTENDO...Nintendo. I think you need to practice some restraint here-- oh, **** it, we need an intervention here, I MEAN REALLY NOW.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:29:09 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by randoguy101 View Post
Why can't you fold it? Why are the buttons on the top half??
This is a super-budget model. Corners are cut where it can be done. That means no hinge and some odd positioning, as well as the fact that it doesn't have 3D at all. (Still has 3D cameras, though.)

...I keep having a feeling that this one is going to outlast the 3DS XL in terms of battery life, though.

Also, timing seems just right for Pokémon X and Y. Specifically for young ones whose parents don't think it's right for 3D yet... sounds like it.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:35:12 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
This is a super-budget model. Corners are cut where it can be done. That means no hinge and some odd positioning, as well as the fact that it doesn't have 3D at all. (Still has 3D cameras, though.)

...I keep having a feeling that this one is going to outlast the 3DS XL in terms of battery life, though.

Also, timing seems just right for Pokémon X and Y. Specifically for young ones whose parents don't think it's right for 3D yet... sounds like it.
I'm...almost convinced. Just knock the price down another $30 and this is a great business move. I think maybe it's the fact that it's really not THAT much less expensive than its older brother but takes so many steps back tech-wise that really irks me about this. Also, I get the name 2DS is really for lack of a better name, but it just lacks any sort of appeal for me.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:39:51 AM

What the heck? It looks like they tried combining a Wii U controller with a 3DS. .-.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:40:15 AM
Rayquaza

It's a good idea for people who can't afford a 3DS or are to young for the 3D.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:41:55 AM
Kyurem

This is a brilliant idea, but there are a couple problems. First it looks awkward, and second, I don't think anyone would want the shame of owning a "2DS" just because they can't afford the extra $40 for a 3DS.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:57:20 AM
Administrator

3DS without 3D? I knew this was going to happen at some point when they started releasing the budget models. A lot of people don't use 3D (just look at this poll that I put up a while back), so it's obviously just a gimmick keeping the price high.

The design? It looks very...not-Nintendo. It looks more like a product designed specifically for kids by a mobile phone company. It looks incredibly easy to scratch those screens, pretty much the same way as the original Game Boy Advance. Heck, that's what it reminds me of: a Game Boy Advance handle, but with half of a Game Boy Color sticking out of the bottom.
Old August 28, 2013, 10:08:50 AM
Kyurem

When i saw the same name of the 2DS, i thought it had a way to play the GBA games at first but i guess not. But this a great idea for them non-3D likers.
Old August 28, 2013, 10:39:56 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
The design? It looks very...not-Nintendo. It looks more like a product designed specifically for kids by a mobile phone company. It looks incredibly easy to scratch those screens, pretty much the same way as the original Game Boy Advance. Heck, that's what it reminds me of: a Game Boy Advance handle, but with half of a Game Boy Color sticking out of the bottom.
This is probably what happens when you try to skimp on a lot of things, omitting even hinges, for maximum product savings.
Old August 28, 2013, 10:51:34 AM
Charizard

Ohohoh, I see what they were going for now.

The design looks like sin, but what the system is meant to do it kinda neat. Think about it- remember that it's not aimed at the older audience. Imagine you buy a regular 3DS for your little brother that's below 7 (regardless if you have one or not) and at the week, he broke the hinges. Not usable anymore, right? That thing, the 2DS, solves that problem. And it is quite cheap, really. It's not meant for the older gamers, it's for the kiddies. I complained too, but now I get the reasoning behind it.
Old August 28, 2013, 11:26:11 AM
Kyurem

I've noticed that because it doesn't have a hinge, it uses a separate "sleep" slider. Think of it as something akin to locking your smartphone with its own power/lock button when you don't need to use it.
Old August 28, 2013, 12:37:48 PM

Honestly, I believe it's better to shell out the extra money for a 3DS. This 2DS really isn't that great of a deal in terms of price to warrant all the cut backs with the design. I mean....really? It doesn't even fold?
Old August 28, 2013, 12:46:15 PM
Regigigas

I am Still getting a ordinary used 3ds for 120 bucks anyway maybe if that thing folded I would get it

Last edited by john-li; August 28, 2013 at 12:46:29 PM.
Old August 28, 2013, 12:47:33 PM
Haxorus

I liked the idea to be completely honest. I don't think it's for me or most other dedicated gamers, but it is a nice alternative. I'd take this over those stupid "XL" expansions any day. At least it's taking a turn for the cheaper, which really shouldn't make anyone complain in this economy.
Old August 28, 2013, 12:56:19 PM
Kyurem

Short of the 2DS, if you want to get a 3DS family system on the cheap, I'd advise everyone to just get a refurbished 3DS from Nintendo for those living in North America.
Old August 28, 2013, 02:00:26 PM
Rayquaza

I don't get what the big deal is, it's like Nintendo fans must expect high quality from Nintendo and need to collect every single console despite the high price. But them lowering the price for a system by cutting corners? No that's just wrong.
Old August 28, 2013, 02:43:58 PM

Well, this isn't the first time Nintendo released an odd system.

Large Image    

Last edited by Reuniclus; August 28, 2013 at 02:44:19 PM.
Old August 28, 2013, 02:50:50 PM
Administrator

I've seen and used one of those before. It's ridiculously small but still looks quite clear.
Old August 28, 2013, 04:01:48 PM
Giratina

At least there won't be confusion about whether there's a mic or not.

When I first saw this my first reaction was "I'm no longer a Nintendo fan. I can't support this stuff, it's embarrassing." After talking with my huge nerd friend, I now see that this is pretty much an awkward business strategy and also not meant for the older people. The only problems I actually have with it are the fact that it's large and not foldable (referring to the other thread: This is NOT portable) and that there's one speaker. As much of a Beatles fan as I am I can't stand being limited to mono sound. I'm content with just knowing I will never in my life buy this, and I hope I never have to see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post

Large Image    
My friend Max touched up upon that, too. It was a failure. The only thing it was praised for was the backlight and easily customizable faceplate. I personally just believe it's too small for practical use.
Old August 28, 2013, 04:12:08 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
My friend Max touched up upon that, too. It was a failure. The only thing it was praised for was the backlight and easily customizable faceplate. I personally just believe it's too small for practical use.
At least we can be absolutely certain it's portable
Old August 28, 2013, 04:50:33 PM
Giratina

Quote:
At least we can be absolutely certain it's portable
Ooh, and if it follows the weird Game Boy Micro lifespan, then it'll also be a failure but have that weird unknown quirk that will cause everyone to want one in the future! Positive thinking!

I just hope my worst fears don't come true. I feel like downgrading the 3DS will open up some kind of gateway for piracy. Maybe not that bad, but I can taste something going wrong...
Old August 28, 2013, 05:12:17 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post

Large Image    
You're treading on thin ice, man. I loved the Micro.

Also, this looks like the kind of knockoff crap that Ashens would review.
Old August 28, 2013, 05:24:37 PM
Volcarona

For the record, the unprotected touch screen shouldn't be a problem (someone mentioned that on another site, don't know about here). The video showed a kid putting the 2DS in a special case, which we can only hope comes with the system.
Old August 28, 2013, 05:29:49 PM
Giratina

Quote:
For the record, the unprotected touch screen shouldn't be a problem (someone mentioned that on another site, don't know about here). The video showed a kid putting the 2DS in a special case, which we can only hope comes with the system.
It's $12.99. Scroll to accessories.
Old August 29, 2013, 07:38:56 AM
Regigigas

The button positioning on it is indeed odd, but I like the fact they brought back the old start/select buttons. The power button on the 3DS is where the old start button used to be, and at times I find myself accidentally pressing the power button and losing game progress in the process.

Still would've been better to have the controlls on the bottom half regardless.
Old August 29, 2013, 01:10:55 PM
Giratina

Here's an interesting tidbit that'll make this system seem like less of a fail: The dual screens are an illusion, it's actually just one large touch screen. The "top screen" just has that feature disabled (or something guessing.) Remove the casing and you see the truth. This already starting to sound like the Game Boy Micro (removable/customizable faceplates) and that's a somewhat good thing. If the price drops to $99 I might actually pick one up for experimental use. (And to trade with myself in X and Y. Hey, gotta do it somehow!) This could be an early Nintendo Tablet design in the making.

Last edited by TurtwigX; August 29, 2013 at 01:12:37 PM.
Old August 29, 2013, 10:11:23 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Here's an interesting tidbit that'll make this system seem like less of a fail: The dual screens are an illusion, it's actually just one large touch screen. The "top screen" just has that feature disabled (or something guessing.) Remove the casing and you see the truth. This already starting to sound like the Game Boy Micro (removable/customizable faceplates) and that's a somewhat good thing. If the price drops to $99 I might actually pick one up for experimental use. (And to trade with myself in X and Y. Hey, gotta do it somehow!) This could be an early Nintendo Tablet design in the making.
It'd be an interesting look in the future. A Nintendo portable gaming tablet? It probably needs to also do web browsing well for me, but I think it might have potential. The time is not now, though, as it'd make market fragmentation a real issue by splitting the 3DS user base to "two screens with one touch screen" and "one giant touch screen".
Old August 30, 2013, 08:45:54 PM
Regigigas

Couldn't this also serve for an alternate 3DS for younger kids who drop and break a regular DS in half because, you know, that's how it is cause it folds. Anyways, I won't be getting it, but it's fine nonetheless.
Old September 3, 2013, 04:04:38 PM
Regigigas

And now, introducing the Nintendo 1DS.
Old September 3, 2013, 04:10:02 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor78 View Post
And now, introducing the Nintendo 1DS.
This is a ridiculous joke. It's even missing Start/Select buttons. But surprisingly, it's also a very good concept. Wouldn't it be cool to pair up a large screen TV for the ultimate quality? There are so many possibilities... though I still think the Nintendo DSTablet would sell more.

But then again... isn't the Wii U basically the 1DS thing? Pairing up a single screen touch tablet with buttons to an HDTV?
Old September 3, 2013, 04:28:59 PM
Regigigas

Just imagine how blocky the gameplay on the TV screen would be for the 1DS.