Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 27, 2010, 08:54:38 AM
Haxorus

Arrow Lets Trade! Oh wait..

Hey Forums,
I was thinking about something while reading an Article, related to the Zoroark event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
Trading between game generations

Pokémon can be traded between Generation I and Generation II games using the Time Capsule feature. For compatibility purposes, the Pokémon to be traded from the Generation II game must be a species that existed in Generation I and cannot have any moves introduced in Generation II.

Using Pal Park, players can transfer Pokémon from their Generation III games to Generation IV games, however, Pokémon cannot be returned from Generation IV to Generation III. Additionally, Pokémon sent through Pal Park cannot know any Generation III HM moves. It is also known that between Generation IV and the upcoming Generation V, Pokémon at least can be transferred from a Generation IV game to a Generation V game, due to the announcement that an alternate-colored Legendary beast can unlock an event where one can capture a Zoroark.

Trading between Generations I and II and Generations III and IV (and soon likely V) is impossible due to the vastly different data structures that were introduced in Generation III, as well as the difficulty in linking a Game Boy Color game to a Game Boy Advance game and the lack of any link cable ports on later systems.
If you didn't know, you will have to Trade a Shiny Suicune, Entei or Raikou from the 13th Film in Japan. Trading one of them to Pokemon Black and White triggers a Zoroark In-game event. (The Zoroark is level 25)

My Question is, how will the trading work?
Yes sure.. both games are on the DS.
But its a New Generation and many new Pokemon, what D/P/Pt/HG/SS can't read. Will trading 5th Gen pokemon to older games be forbidden like in R/B/Y - G/S? Will it be similar to the migrating system what was Introduced in Diamond and Pearl?

So how do you think the trading will work from the Current games to Pokemon Black and White? Discuss.

Last edited by Dilster3000; May 27, 2010 at 09:05:33 AM.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:15:58 AM
Administrator

I'm guessing it will be the same way as the time capsule between the first and second gens where any Pokemon from the fourth gen can go into the fifth, but only fourth gen Pokemon can be traded out of the fifth.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:17:08 AM
Giratina

I think it'll be like Gen I/Gen II, with the time capsule thing. But better, obviously. And the Gen V GTS should be compatible with the Gen IV one.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:37:22 PM
Haxorus

Yeah Ningamer, you sure have a point with the GTS.
Maybe 5th Generation Pokemon in the GTS will show up on B/W but won't show up in D/P/Pt/Hg/SS.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:45:43 PM
Rayquaza

I think it'll be like the time capsule in GS also.
Old May 27, 2010, 01:43:59 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilster3000 View Post
Yeah Ningamer, you sure have a point with the GTS.
Maybe 5th Generation Pokemon in the GTS will show up on B/W but won't show up in D/P/Pt/Hg/SS.
Well, considering you can't look up Pokemon in the GTS that you haven't seen, then of course not.
Old June 4, 2010, 04:13:30 AM
Zoroark

I have put alot of thought into trading between these generations. If BW were on the 3DS one could assume that the 3DS would support both 3DS and DS games, and one could just transfer like they did between GBA and DS. However, because they are on the same platform, trading will be problematic.

Up to date, same-platform trades between different generations of games were not pretty. RBY and GSC had to use a Time Machine. Different platform trades took a very good and a very bad turn. Between GB and GBA there was no connectivity. However, between GBA and DS pokemon could be conveniently transferred, resolving the need of trading junk pokemon and making sure that no new pokemon/moves/items were being traded.

This does not seem to be a possibility between BW and gen4. One way transfers could be used instead of trades would involve taking the BW cart out upon instruction, then placing the gen4 game in. This would ofcourse allow for a great potential in duplicates or destruction of pokemon. It appears that indeed 4to5 gen trading will be much like the Time Machine, which is tedious, requires alot of junk pokemon, and restrictive.

In short, when imagining the trade system between 4 and 5, I am expecting the worst.

Last edited by Searinox; June 4, 2010 at 04:13:55 AM.
Old June 4, 2010, 04:30:00 AM
Giratina

The time machine was as good as it could be, it stopped the trading of non-existant items/moves/Pokemon, and let through everything that was possible. Perfect.

Trading between R/S/E/FR/LG and D/P/Pt/HG/SS was fine. It made sure you didn't lose your HM moves, so you could still complete the game.

Trading between D/P/Pt/HG/SS and B/W will most likely be like the G/S/C time machine, which was FINE. It will be FINE, Searinox. Game Freak know what they're doing
Old June 4, 2010, 02:41:02 PM
Zoroark

I hated the time machine. It slowed down the process even more, but I guess one advantage is that you can trade stuff BACK to gen4 which makes them retain value for longer, especially if certain moves can only be learned in gen4 games...

I am REALLY hoping they let people trade the griseous orb this time around, I didn't understand why, while Pt/HG/SS cannot trade it with D/P, it can also NOT be traded among themselves?!

Last edited by Searinox; June 4, 2010 at 02:42:27 PM.