Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 18, 2010, 02:48:03 PM
Giratina

Default Fable III: Review

As anyone who has played a Fable game should know, Fable has always had moral of choice sytem in its games. As expected, Fable III has not changed that LionHead studios tradition.

Fable III takes place 50 years after the fall of the spire in the 2nd game. As a coincidence, you are the hero's child. I assume Lion Head Studios did this so you don't look like some random person on your epic quest to over throw the king... who just so happens to be your brother.

You would think that seeing as this game isn't too far away in events from the 2nd game that you might recognize some people from the 2nd game. Well, unfortunately, you will probably recognize three people:

The first being Theresa - still immortal, still blind, and still ghostly. But now, she never leaves your special place - in this case, your "Road to Rule" - without pausing the world around you.

The second being Jasper - the first question I want to know about this guy is, how is he still alive? If the spire fell 50 years ago, shouldn't he be dead? Thankfully, you will only see him whenever you visit your Sanctuary... which will be quite often.

The third and final being Reaver - he was the marksman hero in the second game, does this mean he will help you in this game? NO. In fact, he tries to kill you in one part of the game. And how is he still alive? He should be around 70-80 years old by now.

Now that I got all the boring stuff out of the way, it's time to talk more about the game mechanics. The first thing Lion Head Studios decided to do was throw the inventory system out the window. You might be asking yourself now - "How do you change your weapons/clothes/magic/etc.?" Well, if you ever want to change weapons, you have to go to your Sanctuary and scroll through your swords/hammers. You also have to do this whenever you want to change your gun or MAGIC.

Yes, you have to change your spell by going into your Sanctuary. Although this is a bit tedious, it is much simpler and organized than Fable II AND I's magic system. Which leads me to spell weaving. Once you get enough followers to open up enough gates (I will get to that later), you will have the ability to open up the chest that contains "Spell Weaving." What this is, is you mix two spells together to attack with two spells at once. My personal favorite being Vortex and Blades, but enough of that.

Now to talk about the level up system. Unlike Fable I and II, you do not get experience for using a certain type of attack. Instead, you get "Guild Seals". Every time you kill an enemy, you will get some progress toward the next seal. Every time you do a good/evil expression toward a person for the first time, you get one whole guild seal. This means you can get enough seals to unlock the Shock spell by just shaking enough people's hands.

That is only half of the level up system. The other half works like this: Once you get enough followers, you can open up more gates which will allow you to get new spells and upgrade your attack/accuracy/magic. You will also have to do this to buy houses, buy shops, get married, have children, be better at a job, and color your hair/clothing. I didn't quite understand why Lion Head decided to do this. I guess it allows you to level up your magic just by smacking enough guards with your gigantic hammer.

That leads me to the hero weapons. At first, I mean around your third quest, you will get the ability to use your hero weapons. You start off with only four - two melee and two ranged - but they will mutate every time you upgrade your strength/range depending on your actions. For example, if you are incredibly greedy with your shops' prices, your weapon might turn red. On my first play-through, my hammer's handle turned arcane due to my use of Shock, the head turned into an eagle, and the entire thing turned red. I actually quite like this because I always want to see what my weapon will turn into every time I upgrade it.

Speaking on the matter of "Family", and I suppose even friends, the way you get either is ridiculous. If you want to marry a woman, you have to do a "relationship quest" just to become friends, and then another one to have her love you. This also applies to when you want to make someone who hates you actually feel neutral about you. And let me explain my thoughts to you:

"Wait, why do I have to go get something this person lost that is buried under some trees and guarded by 5 waves of mercenaries just for that person to like me? I didn't have to run to 5 different parts of the world just to get my friends to like me."

I don't know what Lion Head Studios was thinking at the time, but I am assuming they were probably curb stomped before releasing this design to the programming team. Either that or the programming team got angry for not having friends so they added their own designs to the game.

All in all, Fable III is quite fun - despite the cheesy jokes and the stupidly annoying relationship quests. At least this game wasn't as annoying or quite as tedious as Fable II, although, you are required to do similar things as, get your reknown up, which has been removed in replace for guild seals, twice.

As for my score, it looks something like this:

Controls: 7.8 of 10 - controls are simple, but they tried to shove too many commands on too little buttons
Graphics: 7 of 10 - they were good, but they could've been better for the Xbox 360 standards, especially while looking at enemies from a distance... I think they are missing a few frames.
Replability: 9 of 10 - The game itself has many ways to end the game due to its moral of choice feature, although the length of the game doesn't give you too much to replay.
Fun Factor: 8.9 of 10 - There quite a bit of fun things to do in the main adventure, and there more fun things to do for side quests. Such as shooting gnomes that insult you, collecting flowers in the desert, or simply pounding a citizen's face into the ground with your hammer.

Overall, the score is around 8.2 of 10. I had fun with this game, but it could've been longer or had more side quests worth doing.
Old November 18, 2010, 02:58:30 PM
Regigigas

I might go and pick this up now since you gave it a pretty good review!
Old November 18, 2010, 06:19:58 PM
Celebi

I give a 2 thumbs up to your Review and the game, I have it and love it!