Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 20, 2011, 12:34:17 PM
Volcarona

Exclamation Akamai NetSession Client (virus?)

I've noticed a few days ago something new appear on my Processors list but it never did occur to me that there were two of the same thing listed, each one with different amount of Memory in use. It goes by the name of netsession_win.exe or simply "Akamai NetSession Client".

As I sit here reading from many different places upon a google search of the name of this interesting thing, I find that it is supposedly some sort of networking software however the description of what it actually does is a tad odd, from what I gather it's supposedly supposed to boost the speed of downloading or streaming on your computer system however it installs itself without permissions to do so. I've not read much but it may possibly have the potential to increase internet bills or something of the sort, obviously this thing is not good if it's installing it'self on your own machine without your knowing of it.

Now I am typically more aware of maleware/trojans/viruses/ect. and can remove them manually, however this is just another new one I've acquired on my laptop, I'm currently running a full PC-scan with Maleware Bytes to make sure that nothing comes up with that, but I'm suspecting something might as this is not the only problem I've had this week, a file of mine for FL Studio (a virtual instrument, to be precise), has randomly become corrupted, if it's related to this then that wraps up this question of it being a virus or not. I'm curious to see if anyone else knows of this 'software' and/or has had it on their own computer, or simply can provide more input on this as I'm completely clueless about it's exact "purpose" yet.

Here are two screen-shots of the Possesses menu and the actual folder of Akamai on my computer. Sorry for the dark screen color, it's a customized Win7 theme. x3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Processes.png
Views:	465
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2383   Click image for larger version

Name:	AkamaiFolder.png
Views:	466
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	2384  
Old December 20, 2011, 06:09:47 PM
Giratina

If you have no idea what it does and it's installing itself without permission, I'd get rid of it as soon as possible. If you don't get rid of it soon, it might ruin your computer.
Old January 18, 2012, 01:15:50 PM
Zoroark

Likely it came installed as a freebie or prerequisite of another program, third party useless software is something I dislike too and disable whenever I can. As a last line of defense you can upload the file to https://www.virustotal.com/ for a scan. Right-click the process and select "open file location". Once you know where it is, use the browse button on VT's page to select it for upload.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:08:25 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searinox View Post
Likely it came installed as a freebie or prerequisite of another program, third party useless software is something I dislike too and disable whenever I can. As a last line of defense you can upload the file to https://www.virustotal.com/ for a scan. Right-click the process and select "open file location". Once you know where it is, use the browse button on VT's page to select it for upload.
Hmm I see, that would make sense though I don't remember what I would have installed around that time anymore, oh well. I uninstalled it a couple of weeks ago and it's not re-appeared thankfully, I also rand a full scan with maleware bytes and though it came up with a few things and cleaned them out, I've not had any more problems in that area at least. I'll just have to keep an eye out more often for such stupid 3rd party programs like that.
Old January 21, 2012, 07:50:23 PM
Kyurem

This is not malware (it's legitimate software most of the time). However, it does uses up your Internet connection like a P2P program, so if you're capped, might want to take a look at its data usage. There should be no harm in disabling it.

This is used by a lot of software vendors to get things downloaded and installed to your computers.