- Servine

- Alakazam
Recolored as
Any steel type.
Welp. Here it is:

Name:  Herdier Recoloured as Servine.PNG
Views: 2484
Size:  1.4 KB

It was very strange to make a dog green and yellow.

Name:  Alakazam Recoloured as Mawhile.PNG
Views: 2464
Size:  1.9 KB

I chose Mawile. I had two versions of this, but the other one had a lot of purple. I still wanted to keep the purple in this one, but I think it makes the spoons kind of look like maracas. Party time!
Old September 25, 2012, 05:58:00 PM
Shaymin

Gamernamerjj

The first thing I think we all notice is the main fur. it is contrasting, which is something that I said isn't something that we like. But this isn't some that you could have avoided with Servine, so you are okay. But just dont forget that contrast is BAD! B-

The next one actually turned out better! I really like it and how you found that little (TINY) Little shade of coal in there. Proud of you. VERY little flaws! Good job! A

If there is anything that still needs to be worked on, it is contrast.

I want to get you to the second half of this class soon, so I am going to again, make it harder.

- Chandelure
recolored as
- Cherrim

- Haunter
recolored as
- Zoroark

Last edited by teamplasma; September 25, 2012 at 05:58:14 PM.
Old September 27, 2012, 06:31:43 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplasma View Post
Gamernamerjj

- Chandelure
recolored as
- Cherrim

- Haunter
recolored as
- Zoroark
Here we are!

Name:  Chandelure Recoloured as Cherrim Redone.PNG
Views: 967

Name:  Haunter recoloured as Zoroark Redone.PNG
Views: 983
Size:  1.5 KB

I still haven't gotten the chance to fool around with Gimp yet.

Last edited by Gamernamerjj; October 1, 2012 at 01:29:04 PM.
Old October 1, 2012, 02:35:15 PM
Shaymin

GGamernamerJJ

The first one must have been easy, because this one is really good. There didn't seem to be that sense of struggle in there, and your color selection was good. I think you did well. A

Aha! You found the tail colors! That is what I wanted to see from you. Well... Not that exactly, but I waned you to dig into those other colors of that pokemon! Good job. There were little to no problems, so good job. A

This next assignment will be the half way point before we get into the second (Which is usually easier, but a harder concept).

Recolor
- Shaymin
With the colors of
- Gothorita

Recolor
- Accelgor
With the colors of
- Gyarados

Last edited by teamplasma; October 1, 2012 at 02:35:40 PM.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:11:14 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
GamernamerJJ

This next assignment will be the half way point before we get into the second (Which is usually easier, but a harder concept).

Recolor
- Shaymin
With the colors of
- Gothorita

Recolor
- Accelgor
With the colors of
- Gyarados
Well... These were interesting. Very tricky to pull off, and I'm not sure how well I did pull them off... The Accelgor was especiallly tricky.

Anyway:

Name:  Accelgor Recoloured as Gyarados.PNG
Views: 968

Name:  Shaymin Recoloured as Gothorita.PNG
Views: 954
Size:  989 Bytes
Old October 2, 2012, 03:37:59 AM
Shaymin

Gamernamer

This is a little tricky, that is why it is the midpoint of this class. So what I see in this is a little struggle, though it was pulled together. While grading it I kept thinking "I wish there was a lighter shade of blue that would still look good!" But there wasn't the only blue's that looked good on it were the ones that were close together. So I cannot tack you down for that. Also, I was a little confused about the section surrounding the eyes, but it still appeals to me. A-

I didn't like this ones as much. It was all good and everything, but the color selection and placement was a little funky IMO (Not that that does a lot for your grade). I think that the blue flower was dull, especially since you used a little grey on it. And then the dull purple leaf... I used red on it and it still was OK. So those are somethings to consider next time. B

So this new thing (which is what we are learning now) is different. The frank concept is use 2-3 sprites to recolor one pokemon. This mainly deals wit color selection and placement. This will help you in your later sprites and that is why we include it in this class. So please do ANY one of these and show it to me. If you think I should explain it more explicitly, PLEASE ask me. I just think you are apt to figure most of it out, though any question is okay
Old October 2, 2012, 06:48:03 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Gamernamer

So this new thing (which is what we are learning now) is different. The frank concept is use 2-3 sprites to recolor one pokemon. This mainly deals wit color selection and placement. This will help you in your later sprites and that is why we include it in this class. So please do ANY one of these and show it to me.
Just for the heck of it, I did two.

Name:  Milotic Recoloured as Mudkip and Kirlia.PNG
Views: 956
Size:  2.1 KB

Milotic with the colours of Mudkip and Kirlia.

Name:  Venusaur Recoloured as Espeon and Taillow.PNG
Views: 946
Size:  2.4 KB

Venusaur with the colours of Espeon and Taillow.

I think I like the second one better, even though the colours are funky.
Old October 4, 2012, 03:37:44 PM
Shaymin

GNJJ

I had to retype the one I just did... It didn't post D:

The first one I said that it isn't too good. This classes second half is ALL about making other pokemon looking good with other pokemon colors (basically what it was before). But when you had the freedom to make something great, you made it bland. Ask yourself the following: Does it look good? Do the colors look good together? Should these colors be here?

The second one is better you had a few good things! The white by the yellow, the dark leaves... This is better.

Now please do this.

Recolor Excadrill with Omanyte and Hitmonlee.
Old October 4, 2012, 04:06:41 PM
Servine

I was an Admin on The Spriter's Resource for a while. I suppose if any of you need sprite help, feel free to ask me and I will help.
Old October 11, 2012, 04:44:37 PM
Magikarp

Class:Basic Recoloring
Do you have experience with this class:little
What software do you have for spritingaint.net
Teacher of preference:none
Old October 11, 2012, 05:16:57 PM
Shaymin

Zisteau

I will warn you now, this is the longest and the hardest class (for a beginner). So please have the time, patience, and willingness to learn. You drop out, or leave for a while, any time that you want, many people choose to do this without telling me (and that doesn't bother me). So please study this, it is your beginners guide. Then please post (in an attachment) 3 of you recolors after reading this guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recolorstutorial.png
Views:	625
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	4037  

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; October 26, 2012 at 07:41:18 PM.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:24:23 PM
Regigigas

Oh, hey, new student, and I'm not ridiculously busy and without a computer anymore.

IGOTIT!!! ^^

Zisteau
Right, so, you're wanting to take Basic Recolors with Paint.NET.
POIFECT!
Okay, so here's the thing about pixel-art. The idea of recolor a sprite is that, while keeping the color's shading and design the same, you want to change every single pixel from one to another?
How do we do this? Well, it's actually something that is called the "color changer".
The first thing you want to do is record the palette of the sprite you are currently working with. This palette will usually consist of 2 or 3 shades of 2 or 3 colors. A "shade set" is a single hue's multiple shades that are in a sprite, so when you record all of the colors that make up the sprite, add them to your palette (I'd advise completely clearing it first, which is done by selecting White, clicking the "add to palette" button, and clicking on every color of the palette to make it all white) in a format that groups together shade sets on the top row of your palette.
Next, you want to do this same thing, but with the color of a different sprite, that is, the one you want to change the colors of your working sprite to. Organize these shade sets in the same manner, but this time, match them up with the shade sets of your other sprite so that they are aligned (try your best to make sure that every shade has exactly one counterpart from the other sprite)
Now for the actual recoloring. Pick the color changer, set the "Tolerance" to 0%, and disable the antialiasing (That squiggly line next to Tolerance: Make it not squiggly anymore 8P). Then, with each color pair, make the color on your first sprite the secondary color, and make its counterpart from the other sprite the primary color. Make your brush size about size 50, put your cursor so that that big circle covers the whole sprite, and just click. All of the pixels of one shade should have changed to another.
Repeat this process for the rest of the color pairs, and you're done!
(If you need clarification on any of this, either VM me or look at the Tutorial on the first post of this school)

Assignment 0:
Before I toss you into multi-part assignments without the knowledge that you know what you're doing, I'm going to give you a single basic task to see where we're at.
Take an Oshawott's sprite and change its colors to be like Cyndaquil's

Kat
If you're at all interested in helping teach in the spriting school, feel free to post a little showcase of your skills in the categories shown at the top. If you're cleared in at least 5 of them, you will be made a teacher in all of the skills you've been cleared for.
Old October 13, 2012, 11:11:17 AM
Regigigas

Syra I thought you quit but if you're back please notice I quit revamps cause no one was there to teach.
Old October 15, 2012, 04:48:07 PM
Haxorus

Sorry it's been a while, Plaz.

Quote:
GNJJ

Now please do this.

Recolor Excadrill with Omanyte and Hitmonlee.
I was very boggled by this one, so I had to make it over many times. This is my best thus far:

Name:  Excadrill Recoloured as Omanyte + Hitmonlee.PNG
Views: 946

Meh. Not much Hitmonlee, but he's just many shades of brown anyway. And green, I discovered to my surprise.

Last edited by Gamernamerjj; October 15, 2012 at 04:48:24 PM.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:10:04 PM
Shaymin

Gamernamer

This is really good! It is pretty impressive, with slight problems. This half of the class is all about color selection, so something you need to work on the the general appeal of what you could have done. Usually people might use bright colors over a dull color, but you did he opposite. hat is okay because that looked good and still dos appeal, but remember what might be better. Also the you used a darker color than the adjacent colors to blend the brown and blue. Mixing and blending colors will be something hat we work with in this next one.

Recolor Magmar with Spinarak and Magnemite.

Recolor Vespiqueen with Yanmega and Ledyba.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:52:41 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Gamernamerjj

Recolor Magmar with Spinarak and Magnemite.

Recolor Vespiqueen with Yanmega and Ledyba.
Here we are, the fruit of my frustrating labours. Colour choice is very difficult, especially with Vespiquen having so many colours.

Anyway, here are my attempts at the recolours.

Name:  Magmar Recoloured as Spinarak and Magnemite.PNG
Views: 964
Size:  2.0 KB

Name:  Vespiquen Recoloured with Yanmega and Ledyba.PNG
Views: 954
Size:  1.6 KB
Old October 15, 2012, 10:21:37 PM
Regigigas

...I thought I posted here already. Where'd it go...?

Um, Zisteau, go ahead and do my assignment 0. I'll be your instructor.

John, I need to recheck your progress, so go ahead and resubmit a couple of the assignments you've already done in this class.
Old October 16, 2012, 05:54:22 PM
Regigigas

K these are my current assignments teddiursa isn't gonna get much better
Attached Images

Old October 16, 2012, 06:21:26 PM
Shaymin

GAMERNAMER

1) Toxic Magmar! I love it, it looks really awesome. You blended the colors well. It was really good, and you targeted what I asked for. I think that the eyes, though were a but odd, and I know there were a few other choices you could have made.A

2) There is something that I love and hate. I will start with hate. You used the lighter of the 2 colors on the black part for Vespiqueen. This is something that looks bad, especially when the blending colors were too dark because of that black. You used a red to shade the green par on he bottom too, use colors that relate o the surrounding colors to outline. That is really important. What I liked was that you used colors from both of the pokemon for the wings! That is rather simple but applying colors that are similar both of the pokemon are great! Try to do that more often. B

Okay, apply all of the things that I have helped you on...

Recolor Wartortle with Scolipede and Sandshrew.

Recolor Sigilyph with Luvdisc, Honchkrow, and Tympole.
Old October 19, 2012, 07:18:38 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
GAMERNAMERJJ

Recolor Wartortle with Scolipede and Sandshrew.

Recolor Sigilyph with Luvdisc, Honchkrow, and Tympole.
Name:  Wartortle Recoloured as Scolipede and Sandshrew.PNG
Views: 948

Name:  Sigilyph Recoloured as Luvdisc, Honchkrow and Tympole.PNG
Views: 933
Size:  2.0 KB

I had fun with these, there's so many of colours to choose from! I know there is a big contrast in Wartortle, but I liked it.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:54:02 AM
Shaymin

GamerNamerJJ

The firs thing hat I noticed while grading the Wartortle was that he outline was so close to the main color that a lot of the details weren't visible. That is a problem that you do not want while spriting, that is really bad. So you need to choose what colors can be outlines more carefully if you are going o make the dark color the main color. So he way you could fix that is use darker outlines or use a lighter main color. C+

This one is a lot better, though it has its ups and downs. his pokemon has A LOT of colors, so you couldn't have made it perfect. The blue by the pink is a little hard to see, but that is really it as for things that are hard to see. And then he blue and pink at the bottom have really bad outlines and you might want o look that over next time, they look like random pixels. B

Okay, this is going to be a little harder, and then if you do well on it you can take the test if you want.

Recolor Quilava with Klink and Shuppet

Recolor Ivysaur with Tirtouga and Trapinch
Old October 21, 2012, 05:20:18 AM
Charizard

Uh... I'd like to re-enroll. I'm pretty sure I had Syra as a teacher with basic recolors previously, but I'm pretty sure, at this point, I'm about ready to take a test, because I've been doing a lot of practice in my absence.

So, yeah, would it be ok for me to just take the test?
Old November 6, 2012, 04:03:53 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Gamernamerjj

Okay, this is going to be a little harder, and then if you do well on it you can take the test if you want.

Recolor Quilava with Klink and Shuppet

Recolor Ivysaur with Tirtouga and Trapinch
Here they are!

Name:  Quilava Recoloured as Tirtouga and Trapinch.PNG
Views: 926

Pretty purple. I love the purple. <3

Name:  Ivysaur Recoloured as Tirtouga and Trapinch.PNG
Views: 938

Nothin' else to say, I guess.
Old November 6, 2012, 04:54:16 PM
Shaymin

GAMERNAMERJJ

QUILAVA: There is ONE MAJOR problem. YOU DIDN'T RECOLOR IT ALL! That is one of the biggest rules. You should always and every time recolor it all. Other than that it looks so good, and it could have beenbetter if you recolors all of it.
Please remember the biggest rule in recolors. D

IvySaur: This is a whole lot better! It is all very pleasing and very well colored. Not much to say in this but you did a good job!

I am going to give the test upon your request. You seem to get the concepts really well, but be forgetful occasionally. So just say what you want to do next.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:18:20 PM
Haxorus

Okay, I'll take the test!
Old November 6, 2012, 05:27:51 PM
Shaymin

GamerNamerJJ

Recolor
601 - Klinklang
with the colors of
360 - Wynaut
349 - Feebas

Recolor
612 - Haxorus
with
371 - Bagon

Recolor
344 - Claydol
with
364 - Sealeo
Old January 24, 2013, 02:37:08 PM
Mudkip

Well...I guess I'm starting over, because my internet was down for a few months, and I lost nearly all of my skill....

Class: Basic Recolors
Do you have experience with this class: Quite a lot, but I forgot more than most people will ever learn. :L
What software do you have for spriting: MS Paint, Paint.Net, GIMP, Photoshop
Teacher of preference: None
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?: This thread
Old January 24, 2013, 06:38:33 PM
Shaymin

Well well well, a "new" student.

Basic Recolors:

So basically you know what you are doing, right. What I usually do is tell the student the basic concept and just ask them to show me what they can do. You understand the basic tools and concept so please make brand new recolors of any Pokemon. I wish that you only swap the colors of 2 pokemon, I will teach you +3 later.

So lets see what you got:
Old January 26, 2013, 06:20:24 PM
Mudkip

Yeah, but like I said, I forgot most of my tricks.

Anyways, here you go:
Attached Images

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 26, 2013 at 11:24:10 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:30:29 PM
Shaymin

Golurk: This is a good recolor, and most of the colors are visible. It could be a little cleaner. The color selection wasn't the best, so if you would have selected ones that would have been better shades to compliment Golurk then it would have been cleaner. You usually develop an eye for color selection through a class.

7/10

Gorebyss: This one is very clean, and nice. Truthfully better than the last. The simplicity is good.

8/10

Things for next time: So I am sure that this will come easy to you once you start getting into it again. You should make sure that you are recoloring everything, that is the #1 rule in my book. Planning before hand on what colors are going to go where and what colors will work is key for when you are using a Pokemon with >2 colors. Also trying multiple ways for a recolors is a good idea, but won't always be required.

Assignment:
Recolor Hitmontop with the colors of Kirlia
Recolor Cacturne with the colors of Scraggy
Recolor Ivysaur with any Flying Type (specify upon entering)
Old January 26, 2013, 09:50:11 PM
Mudkip

Name:  Assignment1Variant1_zps874e3295.png
Views: 904
Size:  1.2 KB
I'm proud of this one. I think it's the best one I've done in a really long time. (Gliscor was used)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:  Assignment2Variant1_zps4ae2cf69.png
Views: 930
Size:  1.2 KB
This one didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but it was still fun to make.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:  Assignment3Variant1_zps96f47e8c.png
Views: 935

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 26, 2013 at 11:25:20 PM. Reason: Please use attachments
Old January 27, 2013, 11:06:05 AM
Shaymin

_414_

Ivysaur: This IS your best, but it still isn't great. The colors placement is really good for the most part, but a few problems have become apparent. The spots on Ivysaur are very close in color to the surrounding color, which would be better if it was a darker spot. The darker spots on the back of Ivysaur are much darker than the surrounding area. I think you need to find a happy medium and make them both the same color.

7.5/10

Hitmontop: This one has a few problems. I don't like how you made the base of it white. That was a mistake because then the outlines for it are hard to produce without them either looking too dark or too light. In this case you did both. If you look at the middle circle the outline for that is really light and almost like the colors inside the border. On the tail and a little on the foot there are black out lines on the white (which is a huge contrast and a huge no-no). The head looked good

6.25/10

Cacturne: There isn't any REAL problems, like nothing technical, but there are a few things to point out here. The belly spikes are rather strange, since they are the same color, they run up it's body in a very.... (for lack of a better word) '2D' way . It is close to color on the darker side and far from close on the light shades. So maybe red wasn't a good choice for the base, like I said, 'planning is key'.

6.8/10

Things for next time: So next time I want them to look clean and well rounded. Try and use light colors were light colors were on the original sprite and dark were dark was, it usually looks better that way. I also want you to pick on of the assignments and make 2 different ways of making it.

Assignment:
Recolor Wartortle with Servine
Recolor Numel with Basculin (either of them)
Recolor Kirlia with Any Fire type
Old February 1, 2013, 03:45:40 PM
Mudkip

For the last one I used Chandelure.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 4, 2013 at 12:53:57 PM.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:13:17 PM
Shaymin

Hey, I just meant to say to pick on assignment and make two, so which one do you want me to judge?
Old February 1, 2013, 05:57:24 PM
Mudkip

The second one on the first two, and the first one on the third.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:58:09 AM
Shaymin

You are not understanding. I will grade the original 3 and one of the redoes. I also only wanted you to do one of the assignments twice.

Wartortle 1: This one is okay. There is a little too much green, then is how it has to be :/ The ears are rather strange looking.... Lastly, not everything was recolored! Shame.

6.5/10

Wartortle 2:This one was a disappointment. None of the green colors were from the actual sprite. I couldn't find any like that. And they are super dark too, which isn't really found on Servine. This all maybe a problem that is do to you not using sprite sheet on the title post of this thread.

2/10 In your next post please include where these colors are from.

Numel 1: I think that this is the best you have done in this batch. The colors are cool. I really like the color-placement! the black and read look pretty good were they are, good job.

9/10

Kirlia 1: This too is rather good! Very good job. There isn't much to not like, the colors are really good and everything. The body could be a little more interesting, but that is okay.

8.75/10

Things For Next Time: USE MY SPRITE SHEET! There are a lot of websites with slightly different sprites than mine, so it is really hard grade them. Remember to recolor everything, that is a priority from now on.

Assignment:

Recolor Cinccino with any of the Semi-Monkeys
Recolor Tirtouga with Seedot
Recolor Carvanha with any whole Dark Pokemon
Old March 1, 2013, 03:37:54 PM
Regigigas

Hey since it's bin a while can I take a new class
Class: Fusions
Do you have experience with this class: Yes I sprite already but haven't in a while so I'm a bit outta practice
What software do you have for spriting: I use MS paint I believe whatever the default one is
Teacher of preference: The one the only team plasma!
How would you take the class: This thread right hear
Old March 1, 2013, 04:28:08 PM
Shaymin

Johny-Darling
Hello, John! You have been accepted into the school, as of now you will begin your basics in fusions, I am going to treat you like you haven't done this before.

PLease read the Fusions tutorial on the front page.

After reading it, please report back to this thread and post 3 original sprites you made after reading it.

REMINDER: Please you the sprite sheet on the front page Thanks

Last edited by teamplasma; March 1, 2013 at 04:28:38 PM.
Old March 1, 2013, 04:59:17 PM
Regigigas

Can I use my own method and not the one in the tutorial
Old March 1, 2013, 05:27:35 PM
Shaymin

As long as it doesn't make the sprite come out different. But the tutorial is pretty helpful!
Old March 8, 2013, 01:12:29 PM
Giratina

Curious; What spriting program is there for Macbooks? Paint isn't available unfortunately
Old March 9, 2013, 04:16:06 AM
Shaymin

A lot of people seem to use Paint.Net. But I use, and is harder for spriting (but better for recoloring), Gimp.

There seems to be programs for Mac specifically that are alternatives for MS Paint. Here is one that I haven't use but many people have said is just as good for Mac (but I wouldn't have experience with it).

Sorry I could help sooner, my internet was out!
Old March 9, 2013, 09:04:25 AM
Mudkip

Sorry this one took so long. I've been REALLY busy.
Name:  Assignment4_zps177b8d9c.png
Views: 908
Size:  2.9 KB

Carvahnna was recolored as Mightyena.

On my last assignment, I really don't remember where those colors came from. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 4, 2013 at 12:54:40 PM.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:16:27 PM
Shaymin

Name:	red-rounded-with-number-4-md.png
Views:	559
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	4645Click image for larger version

Name:	one.png
Views:	542
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	4646Click image for larger version

Name:	661dd600899aee2c6b69060aabcf54ab.png
Views:	537
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	4647

Sprite 1 : This has one major mistake, but the rest of it is good. The problem was the ears. They are the same color as the original color, and one of the rules in spriting is you must recolor everything. So that is something you always need to remember.. B-

Sprite 2: This second one is MUCH MUCH better! It follows all of the rules the colors selection was good and I really don't have much to say about it! A+

Sprite 3 : Redo. This has NONE of the colors from Seedot. I don't really know what you did.

My Question: What did you do to sprite 3????
Do you have any spriting questions?
Old March 10, 2013, 03:31:06 AM
Mudkip

Done. Sorry about that, I used Sunkern istead of Seedot. :L

Last edited by fouronefour414; March 10, 2013 at 03:39:16 AM.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:28:47 AM
Shaymin

Redone Sprite: This is much better, really, it is. I looks bland but still follows the rules and is intriguing. The ONLY THINK wrong (like in most of them that have something wrong) is that you didn't recolor everything.

So I know you are capable, but you just don't recolor everything.

Try to do this and recolor everything, because you cant pass this is you can't grasp the basics.

Recolor with colors from
Recolor with colors from
Recolor with any Yellow pokemon.

Last edited by teamplasma; March 10, 2013 at 09:30:58 AM.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:19:10 AM
Mudkip

What did I not recolor? Do you mind showing me?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:  Assignment5_zps6a339ceb.png
Views: 886
Size:  4.2 KB

Audino was recolored as Galvantula.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 4, 2013 at 12:55:09 PM.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:07:28 PM
Shaymin

I will grade your others later, but what you forgot to recolor is the eye, which isn't a big deal.
Old March 12, 2013, 03:02:57 AM
Giratina

Quote:
A lot of people seem to use Paint.Net. But I use, and is harder for spriting (but better for recoloring), Gimp.

There seems to be programs for Mac specifically that are alternatives for MS Paint. Here is one that I haven't use but many people have said is just as good for Mac (but I wouldn't have experience with it).

Sorry I could help sooner, my internet was out!
Paint.net with the link you gave me doesn't seem to be compatible with what I have. I tried Gimp, downloaded it, but it was too difficult for me to grasp. I might try Paintbrush later
Old March 12, 2013, 01:14:24 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Paint.net with the link you gave me doesn't seem to be compatible with what I have. I tried Gimp, downloaded it, but it was too difficult for me to grasp. I might try Paintbrush later
Lols, I was actually thinking of making a "Gimp 101" for spriting.
Old March 12, 2013, 05:46:04 PM
Shaymin

Sprite 1: This is good, I am really glad that you followed my instruction. A
Sprite 2: This one is also good. You are improving. A
Sprite 3: Galvantula was a good pick because it has enough colors to color Audino with, so the variety in the recolored sprite made it appealing.

So you obvious can handle these, so do you think you need more assignments? Or the test?
Old March 16, 2013, 03:40:58 AM
Mudkip

I'm ready for the test. :3
Old March 16, 2013, 08:33:36 AM
Shaymin

Your test will be kind of hard. AND time consuming...

Recolor any one pokemon that is fully evolved and is in its second stage (in other words has two pre-evolutions). Recolor that pokemon with all the Eeveelutions (I want 7 total recolors, and this doesn't include Eevee itself).
Old May 4, 2013, 10:27:03 AM
Joltik

Is this school still open? If so, I'd like to take a class, Basic Recolors. I think I have the skills to pass already, so I'd like to take the last test.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:47:32 PM
Shaymin

Yeah! You PMed me, so I already know a little, but could you please fill out the form on the front page so I could see whats your status.
Old May 10, 2013, 04:18:26 PM
Joltik

Class: Basic Recolors
Do you have experience with this class: Yes
What software do you have for spriting: PAINT.NET
Teacher of preference: No clue, dont really know anyone...
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?: PM
Old May 10, 2013, 08:13:16 PM
Shaymin

Thanks! I will sign you up and PM you!
Old May 11, 2013, 07:32:23 AM
Mudkip

Finally done. Sorry it took so long.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TEST_zps9a4591d0.png
Views:	426
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	4842  

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 11, 2013 at 04:33:02 PM.
Old May 11, 2013, 01:28:09 PM
Shaymin

I am going to give this all in one.

Your sprites vary in quality. Sprite 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 are the best you did, those all score a 9/10. But 2 is kind of odd. I don't know if you realize this, but there is transitioning colors that are the same color as the outlines. It should be a color in between the two colors, so the black dots are pretty... off. Number 2 gets a 4/10. The number 6 has a similar problem to Number 2, it has those dots. I am not going to repeat myself with the problems in that, but besides them, it looks okay. This one is better and gets a 5/10. Averaged out you get a 7.7/10. That is a passing grade, so you... PAASSSSED!!! Good job and I hope you enroll in another class.
Old May 11, 2013, 01:45:21 PM
Joltik

Class: Advanced Recolors
Do you have experience with this class: Yes, its basically recoloring with a custom pallette of a certain theme, correct?
Teacher of preference: teamplasma
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?: Thread this time
Old May 12, 2013, 07:16:02 AM
Shaymin

Chaoz
Yes, that is what it is, do you want to take the test, if you know how?
Old May 12, 2013, 08:49:03 AM
Mudkip

I want to join basic fusions, Please.

I dont have any software, though.

And id like TeamPlasma for a teacher.

I would like to be taught on this thread, and I have no experience.

Last edited by Cyrus; May 12, 2013 at 09:25:44 AM.
Old May 12, 2013, 09:13:30 AM
Joltik

Yeah, I might as well. I think I know what I'm doing, at least.
Old May 12, 2013, 02:55:39 PM
Shaymin

GOLD
You must pass the Basic Recolors class before you take fusions.

Chaoz
You test will have the theme of childrens shows (I like to put themes to tests).

Recolor Zebstrika to resemble Rainbow Dash from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Recolor Kangaskhan to resemble Barney from the show Barney
Recolor Seaking to resemble Nemo from Finding Nemo
Recolor any Pokemon to resemble Kevin from UP
Old May 12, 2013, 02:59:40 PM
Joltik

Great...I've seen 2 of those...Well, I'll just look up the other ones. I should have my test done in a couple hours.

Wait...The last one is ANY Pokemon? WHY!!!!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! (I need something to go off of...) Crap.

Last edited by Cyrus; May 12, 2013 at 06:02:27 PM. Reason: merging
Old May 12, 2013, 05:25:57 PM
Joltik

OMFG I FINISHED AGAIN! YAY! Ok, I probably could have done better on some of these, but I think they all look pretty good. I dont know if there's a rule against too many shades though...(Dear god I hope not)

Name:  ChromaticZebstrika_zpsf1b14630.png
Views: 1506
Chromatic Zebstrika:
Species: Epilleptic Pokemon
Dex Info: A non-zebra zebra pokemon that has a rainbow mane.
Abilities: Causes seisures and EXTREME frustration when recoloring from the original Zebstrika.

Name:  DinoKangaskhan_zps002a843a.png
Views: 1514
Dino Kangaskhan: Nothing to really say about this one. Not bad, but I don't consider it incredible, either.

Name:  WaldoSeaking_zpsfc83f0c6.png
Views: 1510
Waldo Seaking: Cuz I can't find Nemo.

Name:  FluffyAltaria_zps52ed5a4f.png
Views: 1310
Fluffy Altaria: And THIS is the one I'm worried about for too many shades. If it doesn't break that rule, then I'm good. If it does, I'm pretty sure I'm screwed.

Yay for another finished assignment. Hopefully I've passed this one, and if I do, I'm moving on to fusions. Yay! (I noticed that under Trainers it said the requirements are fusions. Does this mean basic or advanced?)

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 12, 2013 at 10:02:06 PM.
Old May 13, 2013, 05:42:22 PM
Shaymin

Chaoz

Hmm... This is good. I think that is you colored it a little differently, it would be a little more effective. Maybe if you didn't make the rainbow colors confined into the spikes, it would have a different effect. You this is also about how you interpret the sprites, so I cannot tack you off for seeing it in your own way. 9/10

This is good, but not better than your last. You didn't recolor the whole sprite with the theme of Barney. The toes were not green. It is a small thing, but on assignments I do stress recoloring EVERYTHING. So I guess that sort of goes with my rules. 8.5/10

This is interesting XD The first thing I notice is the hard and soft outlines, and the second I notice is the black line across the fin. I think it could have been cleaner, and had better, or a more consistent outline theme. They have so much of a contrast at someparts that it looks strange. The horn especially looks strange. But it obviously has effort and I can understand how hard someone can work on something. 8/10

Best for last, right? This is REALLY good, you probably put the most time into that. The blending was done well, you stuck to the theme, it was just good. I am going to leave it at that and say that you did VERY well. 10/10

YOU PASSED ADVANCED RECOLORS
Old May 13, 2013, 05:59:51 PM
Mudkip

ok, I will take basic recolors. I have no software and I would like TeamPlasma for a teacher, please.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:06:37 PM
Joltik

YAY!!! I passed again!
Ok, I think I'm ready for fusions now. I don't have too much experience with it, so...

Class: Basic Fusions
Do you have experience with this class: Nope
Teacher of preference: teamplasma
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?: Thread

Side notes: The picture I found of barney had tan toes. I don't know why, but all the ones on the page were tan. Also, the nemo picture had a bright blue on the fins, so I think any problems were really caused by me completely FAILING to find a good picture.
Old May 14, 2013, 01:52:54 PM
Shaymin

G O L D
Read the tutorial here. Read it and practice making recoloring a few times. Then afterwards, make 2 recolors and send them to me.

CHAOZ
See the tutorial here. When you have read that and practiced a little, send me 3 fusions you have made.
Old May 15, 2013, 06:45:49 AM
Mudkip

TeamPlasma, could you recommend a spriting software? I have never made any sprites in my life.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:54:43 PM
Shaymin

MS Paint is wonderful.
If you are using a Windows computer then it is just "Paint".
If not then Paint.Net or Gimp is fine too.
Old May 15, 2013, 06:33:56 PM
Joltik

Default Basic Fusions Assignment 1

Ok, I'm finally finished. This was a LOT easier than I expected it to be. The first one is Nidopix♂, which I'm proud of. The next is Nidobat♀, which was my first fusion, and it looks pretty good to me. The last is Castblu, which isn't all that grand, but hey, I tried. I think that even thought the base is Castform, it looks WAAAAAY too much like Swablu...
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2013, 03:36:44 AM
Shaymin

_.CHAOZ._
- This is one of your better ones. It is really simple, and it both Pokemon's features on it. I will give it a/an... B

- This one has an issue I want to address. It literally looks like you put Zubat directly behind Nidoran and recolored it... That is because you didn't put the wings in proportional places. The wings right now are on the rear end of the Pokemon, it you would have put one close to the biggest dot on it's back. Then you could match up the other side to match it. B-

- This is the best that you did. I say that because it is clean and has the parts shared so it looks like both Pokemon. B+

Something else that you didn't do in any other them was exchange parts, you only added parts. Try to take off a part of a Pokemon and replace it with another Pokemon's body part in one (or more) of your next assignments.
[B]

Fuse Tyrogue with Riolu
Fuse Petilil with any Normal Type Pokemon
Make any other fusion.

Last edited by teamplasma; May 16, 2013 at 12:56:12 PM.
Old May 17, 2013, 09:00:29 PM
Mudkip

Class:Basic Fusions
Do you have experience with this class: Yes
What software do you have for spriting: Paint, Paint.NET, GIMP, PhotoShop (Need I go on?)
Teacher of preference: TeamPlasma
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?: This Thread

I would like to skip to the test, if I may.
Old May 18, 2013, 06:31:48 AM
Shaymin

Okay...

Fuse Porygon 2, Celebi, and Mawile with Celebi as the base.
Fuse Sharpedo, Gyrados and Feraligatr
Fuse Suicune and Liepard
Old May 18, 2013, 06:12:57 PM
Mudkip

Can you tell me how to upload a picture on to my message please? I made a sprite I would like you to see, TeamPlasma.

Last edited by GOLD; May 18, 2013 at 06:13:19 PM.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:15:16 PM
Shaymin

Click "Go Advanced" > Scroll to Additional Options > Click Manage Attachments > A new Window should open, click Choose File > Choose and Upload the file > Scroll up to the text box > Click the Paper Clip > Click name of file to upload it
Old May 19, 2013, 07:32:47 AM
Mudkip

OK, Thanks for telling me how to upload this! I hope you like it.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Mew Recolor 1.bmp (34.6 KB, 468 views)

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 19, 2013 at 12:48:29 PM.
Old May 21, 2013, 01:09:11 PM
Shaymin

GOLD, I would like to tell you that BMP formats ARE NOT good to use. They can distort the file and make it look really bad. Do you know how to save a file as PNG ?

If not, here is how to do that:
Open they file that is BMP.
Press "Save As"
Name it a name like "Recolor", then but ".png"
The name should look like "Recolor.png"
Now save it and upload it to here.
Old May 22, 2013, 03:48:55 AM
Mudkip

Finished.

Name:	TEST.png
Views:	498
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	4888
Old May 22, 2013, 12:21:46 PM
Mudkip

Ok, I wont save it to BMP anymore. But do you still like it, TeamPlasma?
Old May 22, 2013, 12:56:40 PM
Shaymin

I couldn't see it, GOLD, it was BMP.

Sprite 1: This is a neat little sprite. The colors are good, but I wish there was more of them. I think that the design is interesting too. The only thing I don't like are the placement of the legs and the shading. The shading doesn't stay consistent and color the body, and then the legs look a little too far left. 8.4/10

Sprite 2: This is an okay sprite. I don't like how you can clearly tell the parts of each pokemon... There isn't much creativity to it, so that is a little disappointing. It doesn't have anything particularly wrong with it besides what I aid it. 7.5/10

Sprite 3: This one is my favorite, though again it isn't too creative. I like how you used your advanced recoloring skills. There isn't much more to say, because it is so land, but it still has been done well. 9/10

In conclusion, you passedd!

Last edited by teamplasma; May 22, 2013 at 01:25:12 PM.
Old May 22, 2013, 03:22:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
GOLD, I would like to tell you that BMP formats ARE NOT good to use. They can distort the file and make it look really bad.
I believe you are mistaken. JPEG is the format that distorts images in its most common form, as well as the implementation of GIF in Paint (which uses a fixed palette rather than an optimized palette based on the colors used in the image; if the palette is optimized and the image has fewer than 257 colors, GIF format will work fine). 24-bit (or more) BMP and PNG are equally fine for the quality of the image when there is no transparency. (BMP can store a transparency color, but it's rare.) BMP simply lacks compression, while PNG is capable of compressing based on exact color neighboring pixels. For the sake of this thread, if you're using Paint, then PNG, BMP (24-bit color), and TIFF are all equally fine. If using GIMP (or Paint.NET, I think) you can save as GIF as well. (There are lots of other kooky formats you can save as, but you want others to be able to actually see your image, right? )
Old May 22, 2013, 06:14:16 PM
Shaymin

I have never had good experience with BMP, personally. I used to say my sprites to that file and and after so many colors were used then a blue/red bitty patty would overtake the colors in the image. The variety of colors that can be used in Advanced Recolors can be bad with BMP. I had never had this problem with PNG, so I strongly advice people to use PNG while spriting. But I guess if you are just starting basic recoloring, then it would be fine, because not many pokemon have huge palettes.
Old May 22, 2013, 06:36:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The variety of colors that can be used in Advanced Recolors can be bad with BMP.
I would suggest learning more about image formats.

Bitmap (BMP) images are a map of bits for each position on the pixel grid. In a 24-bit bitmap, this ratio is 24 bits for every pixel, with 8 bits each for blue, green, and red. This means that each of those three colors has 256 possible shades/intensities. There are a total of 16,777,216 (or 256ł) possible colors for every pixel. That should be more than enough colors for any kind of spriting work.

PNG, on the other hand, can use either the aforementioned bitmap method (which is how Paint saves), or it can use an indexed palette (like GIF images). The palette contains a list of all colors used in the image, simplified to as few bits as possible, saving a lot of space. Bitmapped PNG images use either one color (grayscale), two colors (grayscale and opacity/alpha), three colors (RGB), or four (RGB and opacity/alpha). Regardless of method, the image is typically compressed.

Like I said before: PNG and BMP are equally fine for the purposes of this thread. GIF is fine if you know how to automatically optimize the palette with software like GIMP. If your image has transparency, you're likely using software where both PNG and GIF should be fine.

Edit: If that isn't enough colors, you could always use 48-bit bitmaps. 281,474,976,710,656 colors should be more than enough for anybody.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 22, 2013 at 06:39:39 PM.
Old May 23, 2013, 06:56:55 AM
Mudkip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I believe you are mistaken. JPEG is the format that distorts images in its most common form, as well as the implementation of GIF in Paint (which uses a fixed palette rather than an optimized palette based on the colors used in the image; if the palette is optimized and the image has fewer than 257 colors, GIF format will work fine). 24-bit (or more) BMP and PNG are equally fine for the quality of the image when there is no transparency. (BMP can store a transparency color, but it's rare.) BMP simply lacks compression, while PNG is capable of compressing based on exact color neighboring pixels. For the sake of this thread, if you're using Paint, then PNG, BMP (24-bit color), and TIFF are all equally fine. If using GIMP (or Paint.NET, I think) you can save as GIF as well. (There are lots of other kooky formats you can save as, but you want others to be able to actually see your image, right? )
So... I can use BMP?

Quote:
I couldn't see it, GOLD, it was BMP.

Can't you just click the link? It works fine for me.

Last edited by Reuniclus; May 23, 2013 at 07:06:06 AM. Reason: Merging Posts
Old May 23, 2013, 01:26:45 PM
Shaymin

GOLD

If this is the sprite you want to submit, I have a few things to say. A recolor is to follow the color pallet of one Pokemon. You didn't use a Pokemon, you used miscellaneous colors and put them on Mew. Do you think that your recolor looked good? You should always stay with a set of colors of a pokemon. Here is an example of what I am saying: If you are recoloring a Ditto with the colors of Nidoking, stick to one set of colors (either purple or tan). It would be bad if you switched back and forth between tan and purple when recoloring Ditto.

If you have any questions, please ask before I give you another thing to work on.
Old May 23, 2013, 01:51:45 PM
Mudkip

I just mainly wanted to show you that I have some good software. I am ready for an actual assignment.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:50:34 PM
Shaymin

Oh? What software are you using?

Here is your assignment:
Recolor Weedle with the colors of Venonat
Recolor Hoppip with the colors of Jumpluff
Old May 24, 2013, 02:59:14 PM
Mudkip

I use MS paint.
I call this one weedonat. I will work on the next one later.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp weedonat.bmp (1.24 MB, 538 views)

Last edited by GOLD; May 24, 2013 at 03:23:27 PM.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:01:45 AM
Shaymin

GOLD

Okay... first things first, you didn't do both of the assignments, so I expect to see the other one. Onto the sprite.

Never resize a sprite - EVER. I am simply going to say that you shouldn't do that again. If you want to see a larger image, then zoom in with the magnifying tool.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 805
Size:  5.4 KB

Next: Another thing that you should know is not to erase the outlines. There are no outlines on 66% of this image. The original sprite of Weedle has outlines around all of his parts. You ALWAYS want your new sprite to looks like your old one (but of course recolored).

Moving on: As you can see in this image, Weedle has shading.
Name:  013.png
Views: 819
Size:  645 Bytes
Shading is the darkening of colors in curtain places to add some dimension. When you are recoloring, all you have to do is take the shading from the pokemon and put it on the other, it is as easy as that.

That is all I need to say for now. Please do the assignment that you didn't do and post it.
Old June 17, 2013, 06:32:34 PM
Kyurem

Can I take an exam for fusions?
Here some examples of my fusions.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 17, 2013 at 06:35:01 PM.
Old June 23, 2013, 10:09:58 PM
Giratina

I'd like to retake fusions I guess. It's something to do, plus I got worse at spriting.
Old June 29, 2013, 05:58:42 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquablast View Post
Can I take an exam for fusions?
Here some examples of my fusions.
Aquablast
Fuse Nidoking and Cloyster, use the colors of Rhyperior.
Fuse Quasire and Ludicolo, pick your own base.
Fuse Salamance and Lapras, color it with the colors of Walrein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
I'd like to retake fusions I guess. It's something to do, plus I got worse at spriting.
Phantom
If you recall, I usually give you a tutorial on the subject and ask you to sprite using the information that the tutorial gave. In this case, would you make 2 sprites using our fusions tutorial?

Name:	splicetutorial.png
Views:	602
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	5002

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 29, 2013 at 08:35:30 AM.
Old July 14, 2013, 08:58:35 PM
Magikarp

Class:basic recoloring
Do you have experience with this class:no
What software do you have for spritingaint.net
Teacher of preference:team plasma
Old October 18, 2013, 01:16:51 PM
Servine

Hey. Could I take a class from the top to bottom?
Old May 23, 2014, 08:16:27 AM
Floatzel

Hello... I am back. I would like it if I could re-try ALL of the lessons, since I'm rusty on my skills now... Is it ok if someone can give me lessons?
What I tried to do when I was experimenting on my own when I was younger:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...an-d7jfaea.png
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...an-d7jfakq.png
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...an-d7jfar3.png
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...an-d7jfb36.png
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...an-d7jfbd1.png

Last edited by ReshZek200; May 23, 2014 at 03:52:09 PM.
Old June 17, 2014, 10:19:37 PM
Regigigas

I no longer have a computer so i cant sprite but i would love to help teach recouloring if thats okay.(if you cant do teach!)