Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 27, 2010, 06:01:44 PM
Regigigas

Default Sometimes feel embarrassed?

Well, since you guys are older pokemon fans, do you sometimes get embarrassed (or at least you once did) when someone or a group of kids at school finds out?
When I get re-addicted, and a girl found out cuz' she saw me playing Platinum on my USB and she told all of her other friends (they're not nice) and they laughed. I was like, "Haha very funny. I don't give a damn of what you crackheads think!"

Ever get embarrassed like that?
Old May 27, 2010, 06:03:29 PM

Ya know, I used to worry about it. I don't now. I would openly play Pokémon at lunch if I felt like it. I actually used to. Of course, for some reason, hacked PSPs with Pokémon are all the rage at my school right now, but that's off topic.
Old May 27, 2010, 06:04:06 PM
Shaymin

I was surfing VR in class one day and one idiot mexican kid saw and decided to make Pikachu noises and crap. >.>
Old May 27, 2010, 06:04:29 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto616 View Post
Ya know, I used to worry about it. I don't now. I would openly play Pokémon at lunch if I felt like it. I actually used to. Of course, for some reason, hacked PSPs with Pokémon are all the rage at my school right now, but that's off topic.
I'm not much of a hax0r, but yeah its everywhere on my school too. Just not pokemon hacking. I bet everyone use to worry about it at first then they feel totally used to it.
@Jad: XDD Lol! I would have pointed and laughed at his insolence.

Last edited by LoPun; May 27, 2010 at 06:04:57 PM.
Old May 27, 2010, 07:31:43 PM
Shaymin

No, not particularly. The people who apparently find that there's some problem with me playing Pokemon are the same people who I see being the scum at the bottom of the pot of society. (Incidentially, a good majority of them are potheads.)

I'm the only one who outright plays it and expresses that I like it, though. I wear a Pokemon T-Shirt with a few Gen 1 Pokemon on it, I play SS on my DSi XL openly in science class, etc.
Old May 28, 2010, 07:06:35 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
I was surfing VR in class one day and one idiot mexican kid saw and decided to make Pikachu noises and crap. >.>
Ohh, I remember you telling me that on MSN!

And yes, I have.(Click the spoiler) Last last last week...
Spoiler Alert:    
People from the idiot class were laughing at me when I was playing in the PokeAthlon, then they took out my cartridge, and smashed it. (I saved my file on my SD card, I somehow knew that would happen) I raeged them. They all owed me 80 bucks (Even though the game was only $35  ) So I know have... $400! And they all got suspended for 2 months. , but unfortunately, people saw me raeg. Pretty embarrassing it was.
Old May 29, 2010, 04:21:30 AM
Shaymin

Well I do bring my DSi to school and play it in, F.A. (homeroom), lunch, math and science (but somehow I'm still like, the smartest in those classes XD). So I was playing it at lunch and all my friends know I love Pokémon, and I have a few that still kinda do (but that is a different story). So I put my DSi away, and went to go get my lunch and came back and heard people saying, "It's one of those Pikachu things" so I immediately turned my head over to where I heard it and... O_O AH CRP MY POKéWALKER FELL OFF MY PANTS (now how am I gonna get it back from 5 guys my age). So I was thinking I need it back, I went up to them and asked if I could look at it, they were too busy fooling with it, then my science teacher's kid threw it accross the room (NUUUUUUU). It hit the floor (ouch) and another guy picked it up, I said it was mine, showed him the trainer card where it says my name and I got it! Well right after the bell rings and they all run to go play basketball, give to the boys at my school who care about nothing but basketball. They forgot about it, I'm sure.
Old May 29, 2010, 07:15:33 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buizel456 View Post
Ohh, I remember you telling me that on MSN!

And yes, I have.(Click the spoiler) Last last last week...
Spoiler Alert:    
People from the idiot class were laughing at me when I was playing in the PokeAthlon, then they took out my cartridge, and smashed it. (I saved my file on my SD card, I somehow knew that would happen) I raeged them. They all owed me 80 bucks (Even though the game was only $35  ) So I know have... $400! And they all got suspended for 2 months. , but unfortunately, people saw me raeg. Pretty embarrassing it was.
I'd raeg as much as I could if I could get $400 out of idiots! Who cares about getting embarrassment?!
Old May 29, 2010, 09:28:42 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
I'd raeg as much as I could if I could get $400 out of idiots! Who cares about getting embarrassment?!
Me. C'mon, Would you raeg infront of a police man?
Old May 29, 2010, 11:43:14 PM
Haxorus

I do get embarrassed, but I just know that people who make fun of others are just masking their own insecurities.
Old May 30, 2010, 04:24:58 AM
Haxorus

I got made fun of, but got back at him when I started singing "diglett dig"
Old May 30, 2010, 04:52:56 PM
Charizard

I'm not embarrassed about Pokemon in the least. I PROUDLY wear my Mewtwo keychain on my backpack, even at the university.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:17:22 PM
Giratina

Two of my friends and I are now playing through a ROM of Pokemon FireRed, so every lunchtime we head off to the ICT suites to play them. People see us and hear us talking about it, and Pokemon's really frowned upon by any people who are remotely popular. However, we still get more requests to email it to people than insults.

I take my Pokewalker in to school every day but, being worried that it'll be stolen/I'll lose it/I'll be laughed at I make sure that the actual Pokewalker's on the inside of my pocket and the clip's on the outside. It works!
Old May 30, 2010, 05:17:49 PM
Keldeo

Never been made fun of it, so no. Just my sis when I was little, but I think if your open enough about it or don't act like your doing anything wrong its all good. Also having dirt on everyone else sorta helps. =w=
Old May 31, 2010, 04:40:00 PM
Volcarona

I've never felt embarrassed about it. The people of whom I know who do make fun of Pokémon will also call The Legend of Zelda "old and gay" so I don't have any respect for them anyway. Most who go to my school are indifferent or like Pokémon. It's hard for me to believe that there are still a lot of people who think pokeymon r gey n dum enough to warrant acting like idiots toward those who like it.
Old June 1, 2010, 01:29:06 PM
Zoroark

I don't feel embarased at all. Why should I? I can play whatever I want. Being looked down upon because of a game you play is retarded. Quite a few people at my school know, but they don't care, which is how people SHOULD act. Well, exept for one person who said to me that Pokemon was a waste of time. Dude if I'm having fun with this game, then I'm not wasting any time... I told him, "Kiss my ass." I probably shouldn't have. What he said wasn't even important, just another person in a sea of haters.

Hello Neko. X3
Old June 3, 2010, 12:07:54 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries View Post
I don't feel embarased at all. Why should I? I can play whatever I want. Being looked down upon because of a game you play is retarded. Quite a few people at my school know, but they don't care, which is how people SHOULD act. Well, exept for one person who said to me that Pokemon was a waste of time. Dude if I'm having fun with this game, then I'm not wasting any time... I told him, "Kiss my ass." I probably shouldn't have. What he said wasn't even important, just another person in a sea of haters.

Hello Neko. X3
Hai.>3 Lmfao at what you said, I would have been like "**** off" XD
I think everyone should just stop worrying and have fun, and the others should just leave those that are having fun alone. They're ruining it.>_>

Last edited by LoPun; June 3, 2010 at 12:08:06 PM.
Old June 4, 2010, 02:41:03 AM
Zoroark

I used to feel embarassed and out of place for a while when the only ones I could talk about it to were unrelated. Arguably one of my main reasons to get internet was to be able to relate more with other people who know and like pokemon. And yes it worked. XD I still play my DS in public, but I don't end up being seen playing pokemon much. For one I don't leave the house often. Two, I don't play a version for too long. Carrying every pokemon I caught since 2003 over to new versions has resulted in me having little reason to catch or breed anything unless it's new to the version.
Old June 4, 2010, 10:38:42 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searinox View Post
I don't leave the house often.
I'm the same!
I occasionally play HeartGold at school. I get mixed reactions, some of the chavs call ma gay, some people come and watch, and ask questions and stuff.
I like the latter, and ignore the former. Easy as.
Old June 4, 2010, 12:10:45 PM
Rayquaza

I don't ever since everyone at my school figured out and didn't care.

It gives me a good reason to stay at my school because everyone at my local school hates me for it.

Last edited by Magmaster12; June 4, 2010 at 12:11:29 PM.
Old June 4, 2010, 01:08:30 PM
Mudkip

I'm not at all embarrassed about Pokemon. There are a few others at my school that like it a little bit, and some just hate it when I even mention the word Pokemon, but I don't mind (mostly because I'm antisocial).
Old June 6, 2010, 11:12:38 AM
Volcarona

Do I feel embarrassed? Yes. Should I feel embarrassed? No.
I've never been in a situation when someone made fun of me, fortunately, but I have thought about what I'd say if it did happen: I'd basically bluff. I'd tell them that they couldn't call it stupid/childish/whatever until their skill surpassed my own and they still thought it was stupid. I think if someone goes to the time to get good at something, no matter what it is, they will begin to enjoy it (that's what I believe). Then, if they call my bluff, I can rub it in their face when they admit that it isn't stupid.
Old June 6, 2010, 11:17:05 AM
Haxorus

I don't really get embarrassed because it's the first game I've ever bought and I kept playing it over and over again, some idiots at school say I need to play COD all the time, well that's not the case, "So what if I still play Pokemon" I play other games, People just assume that you suck if you play Pokemon, well that's not true. They only point at games that look crappy when they can't even play the game, sheesh the nerve of people.
Old June 8, 2010, 07:53:11 AM
Mudkip

I used to back in my early junior high days but as I grew, I stopped caring and even began to wear my Pokemon 10th anniversary state championships t-shirt all the time. Playing Pokemon at school was also enjoyable as well!

Sure, people mock, I just laugh it off with my friends later! Sometimes I'll try to have an in depth conversation about some of the newer 350 and will totally bamboozle them because they have no clue what I am talking about. The people that make fun usually tend to stick with mentioning Pikachu, Bulbasaur, or occasionally Squirtle.

-Pichu
Old June 8, 2010, 08:21:25 AM
Giratina

I love playing Pokémon, but I just can't tell the people at my school that I play the games regularly. If I ever do that, I know that I'll be mocked for the rest of my life. I do realize there's nothing to be ashamed of, but I really care for my reputation. I don't want to spoil it just because of a bunch of retards who would tell me: "Oh man you still play Pokémon? GROW UP!" (or something similar) if I confess to them.

So yeah, I don't feel embarrassed in reality, but in school I have to put the disguise on just to be on the safe side. I still have a couple of friends who trade, battle and talk with me about Pokémon stuff though, so that makes up for it.
Old June 8, 2010, 10:55:44 AM
Rayquaza

I'm totoally not embaressed anymore now that I've gotten nearly everyone in my class interested in pokemon again.
Old June 9, 2010, 12:47:57 AM
Mudkip

I remember in Middle school I played the original game boy color games. One day I started humming to the music of the game, and some kid knew what it was.. He mad fun of me but I asked him how he knew that. So alot of people started laughing at him. Now even though he mad fun of me for playing, I stood up for this kid. Now today, we are good friends and hang out on a regular basis (Sometimes even playing Pokemon).
Old June 9, 2010, 09:48:04 AM
Mudkip

I believe that this image sums all of this up quite nicely!

Gottta love college!

-Pichu

Last edited by Pichu_theworld_ruler; June 9, 2010 at 09:49:31 AM.
Old June 20, 2010, 07:40:32 AM
Kyurem

I used to be embarassed, but then I found a few people who shared this interest. Now the Mighty Tsutaaja isn't slone!
Old August 16, 2010, 10:50:45 AM
Pikachu

lol when i was going to school back in may pokemon was getting to be pretty popular again.
alot of the "popular"kids would talk about it openly and even play it in class along with many others.
and even before then i still wasnt embarrased. no one made fun me lol.
pokemons getting back in to style with the older generation
Old August 16, 2010, 11:20:03 AM
Landorus

Some Jackass from my school noticed me playing My DS and said "What're you playing? OMG Pokemon!?" Then Ran away. Then his friend came over And shouted POKEMAN!! in my face and continued to do so for two months. How did this all end, you ask? Well, let's just say we were both suspended for a week.
Old August 16, 2010, 11:21:06 AM
Volcarona

I know a kid who loves pokemon, but he's afraid of playing it openly because he dosen't want to be looked down upon. I don't really care if people make fun or look down upon me because OF A GAME. I play it when I want to, and where I want to.
Old August 18, 2010, 01:32:52 PM
Volcarona

Not at all. I still try to avoid people who are insecure enough to mess with me about it, but I know many people who do play, so its all cool with them.
Old August 18, 2010, 01:54:47 PM
Joltik

No, I don't get embarassed. There is no reason to be embarassed over something like that. I've ran into people in college who like Pokemon. Some of them get embarssed, but I don't see why. It's a game. I mean, it's not like we're admitting to doing something childish. It's fun. We like it. So what?

And besides... I'll probably be 80 years old and playing this stuff. It's not like it's really anything bad. lol
Old August 18, 2010, 02:13:57 PM
Haxorus

Only my friends like pokemon, and my worst enemy nerdo friend PATRICK is always in mah faec. "POKEYMAN?! NO, IT'S POKEYMAWNN" Is what he'd say every time I walked near him, and he avoided me at lunch. I am the kind of dude who is the typical nerd guy that is bullied for no apparent reason...
Old August 19, 2010, 05:35:27 AM
Shaymin

The only thing that embarrasses me is when my friends find out I still like Pokémon, they quiz me old questions. And sometimes they're just the lame puns sometimes.
Old August 27, 2010, 06:39:11 PM
Giratina

I think everyone is embarrassed at first, but then should be relieved when they admit they are playing it.

If someone taunts you for playing Pokemon, start taunting them for NOT playing Pokemon.
Old August 31, 2010, 05:46:24 AM
Volcarona

Sadly the people in my school are quite agianst pokemon, only about 3 people i know play it. man.. 10th grade sucks.

hopefully college will be different
Old September 6, 2010, 03:54:05 PM
Mudkip

Every day, I find myself less and less embarrassed as I find more and more friends that enjoy this amazing series.

In fact I have lengthy discussions with my manager at work about Pokemon!!

-Pichu
Old October 3, 2010, 07:54:59 PM
Zoroark

I remember in Middle School when I would stay play Pokemon Silver and felt like I had to sneak it around in my backpack. Then I get into high school and I don't feel that way anymore since everyone was playing Pokemon openly.
Old October 3, 2010, 07:57:11 PM
Volcarona

piplup-smug.jpg
Most of the people in my town play Pokemon anyway, or they don't care.
Old October 4, 2010, 12:27:11 PM
Giratina

Something I heard that made me less embarrassed.

While in my Biology class, I was talking to my friend about some random Pokemon stuff. Somewhere along that line, we both started talking about Pichu. The girl that was across the table from me said:

"Did you say Pikachu? I love Pikachu!"

Even though we didn't say Pikachu, that shows that people that you might not expect might be a fan of Pokemon.
Old October 4, 2010, 05:42:08 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I love playing Pokémon, but I just can't tell the people at my school that I play the games regularly. If I ever do that, I know that I'll be mocked for the rest of my life. I do realize there's nothing to be ashamed of, but I really care for my reputation. I don't want to spoil it just because of a bunch of retards who would tell me: "Oh man you still play Pokémon? GROW UP!" (or something similar) if I confess to them.

So yeah, I don't feel embarrassed in reality, but in school I have to put the disguise on just to be on the safe side. I still have a couple of friends who trade, battle and talk with me about Pokémon stuff though, so that makes up for it.
This is exactly me.

Though last year, at the end of the year (I was in 8th grade) and a kid with a jailbroken iPod was playing FireRed on the bus to SixFlags, and watching him play and reminisce about the old days we used to love is all that anyone did, so then I knew Pokémon is something I could be open about there from then on.

But then my parents decided to make me switch schools, and this "safe side" disguise is how I need to act again. But our conversations are actually getting larger and larger glimpses of Pokémon, leading me to believe I'm not the only one who still really plays. Like it used to be a little tiny nod to the series maybe once a week or so, but it's gotten to the point where we're actually talking a fair amount. For example, one of my best friends, said that "Rocket" from Team Rocket was really hot with his red hair. (But I could tell she knew that James' hair is actually purple )

EDIT: To supplement this, my best friend's school has tons of kids battling and trading Pokémon during class. I'm so jealous of that. There's a bunch of other stories I might share some time, but I REALLY need to do homework.

Last edited by pokemoneinstein; October 4, 2010 at 06:36:31 PM.
Old October 4, 2010, 05:45:23 PM
Giratina

How you can tell Pokemon will never die:

I saw a man, about his mid-twenty's, running on my school's track and he had a tattoo of a Pikachu on his left leg. And it was a fairly new tattoo as well.

How does this show that? If we have adults liking Pokemon, I don't think kids will hate Pokemon ever.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; October 4, 2010 at 05:46:06 PM.
Old October 13, 2010, 02:33:59 PM
Zoroark

That's pretty awesome.

And by the way, I'm so close to cracking down on who the lingering Pokémon fans at my school are. SO CLOSE!
Old October 26, 2010, 05:24:10 PM
Volcarona

I feel embarrassed when I admitted I like pokemon to the public. I prefer to share it with my friends who likes pokemon. It's the same thing with me playing video games since I am a girl. I don't like opening up I like video games because people would judge me based on the stereotype. It amkes me mad that there are people who are shallow who wouldn't take the time to know me.

What I don't like people do is making fun of people because other people are different or do something different from society. I took a advance class and there were few people who made fun of me and I felt bad about it. I know I shouldn't but I can't believe I lost my self esteem because some people make a comment about it and I was pretending that it didn't really hurt me. It made me feel really pathetic. Now I gain my confidence and I have people who support me.

What I learn myself is that I don't let my emotions control by other people and haters are going to be keep hating something so don't let them tell you what to like and what to hate. I confess I like pokemon and video games to a few of my friends and they don't mind. I feel like I don't need to hide it or get embarrassed that I like pokemon and I glad I have friends who have the same interest as me.
Old November 11, 2010, 04:56:02 PM
Volcarona

What reason would I have to be embarrassed? I am who I am, and if others don't agree with that, then that's fine. Besides, I've seen those people slip Pokemon red/yellow to school before. ha
Old November 12, 2010, 01:16:56 PM
Kyurem

I think it is unfair that people make fun of you for liking Pokemon. Most of the people who do used to like Pokemon. Techinally that they are make fun of themselves.

Last edited by Aquablast; November 12, 2010 at 01:17:53 PM.
Old November 28, 2010, 03:58:58 PM
Zoroark

I've only had one somewhat-awkward moment related to Pokemon during the 4 months I've spent in college...I think around two weeks ago, I was riding the bus home when a guy around my age noticed me playing my DSLite and asked what game it was.
I showed him the HeartGold start screen somewhat reluctantly, then the next thing I knew we were talking for a good 10 minutes up until his stop came up. Not too incidentally that was the fastest I've gotten to know someone by a first-name basis.

I still tend to keep things like that to myself, though...other reasons and whatnot
Old April 9, 2011, 04:49:00 PM
Linoone

I used to get embarased but now I don't. Anyone who knows me knows that i'm a huge Pokemon fan. I still get made fun of by many people but who cares, I simply turn the volume up. Although it does get a bit annoying because even the few Pokemon fans in my school make fun of me by calling me nostalgic because I like to play the first 2 gens on my special edition GBC. even though I started with the older games, i'm in the age group of the 3rd gen players. All I have to say to them is nostalgia works both ways.
Old April 20, 2011, 01:45:43 AM
Servine

I don't feel embarrassed, but I don't have many friends that play it. I play my DS at my university (with my metal pinsir charm attached to it), and sometimes some curious people gather around and ask about it. But since Pokémon is not an action game, and since it has a reputation, people just lose interest.

I think it's because of that anime...I really don't like it, never have...sorry if I offended anyone, but since it was never true to the games it never got much of my attention. There should be different Pokémon anime, like there are different Pokémon mangas...

But anyway, most of my friends know that I play Pokémon, and most of them don't even play videogames.
Old June 28, 2011, 06:11:23 PM
Cyndaquil

My I have a friend in high school, he's a senior he just graduated and he openly admits that he plays Firered and Leafgreen on his PC via emulator, he posts stuff on his facebook related to that, its like the fact of playing Pokemon at age 19 doesn't bother him. I like his attitude with that! He's showing everyone that it doesn't matter what you play its your life, and yep he has a girlfriend too. So apparently he's showing that playing Pokemon doesn't mean you have no life.
Also I would play Pokemon in front of my friends too, it doesn't bother me.

Last edited by BuizelMaster; June 28, 2011 at 06:16:02 PM.
Old June 28, 2011, 06:15:16 PM
Landorus

You know, their is really nothing to be embarrassed about. Pokemon is just to watch pokemon beat up each other, correct?
Old June 30, 2011, 06:07:23 PM
Servine

I have no reason at all to be embarrassed. Pokemania at my school has actually gotten to the point where people think you're not cool if you don't play some kind of Pokemon... -.-"
Old June 30, 2011, 06:10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonite_234 View Post
I have no reason at all to be embarrassed. Pokemania at my school has actually gotten to the point where people think you're not cool if you don't play some kind of Pokemon... -.-"
Same thing happened at my school...(yay)
Old July 1, 2011, 01:45:40 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio View Post
Same thing happened at my school...(yay)
That's.....absurd.....ly awesome!

Anyway, relating to this thread, I may have been more weary of talking about it in early Junior High, maybe, but I openly talk about it, now, at least. Even nag my friends to get some Pokemon games (and a few play the games, anyway, two in particular). Sometimes I'll just randomly go "Needs more Pokemon." when something they say doesn't seem good enough as is. So yeah, I kind of flaunt it, if that makes any sense.
Old July 2, 2011, 12:11:58 PM
Pikachu

Heck no. I'm so proud to be a sixteen-year old female Nintendo freak. You don't even know.

But yeah, most of my friends are still into Pokemon too, so it's not that big a deal. And I've played it all my life, so it's not a big surprise to anyone (since I'm always blabbering about what happened while playing Crystal the other day, etc.).
Old July 2, 2011, 01:44:20 PM
Mudkip

I'm not embarrassed, I just don't tell anybody. Mainly cus I don't think there are any people at my school that play it, let alone have a DS.
Old July 2, 2011, 01:47:51 PM
Regigigas

Hmm, not really. I made it pretty public that I played Pokemon. I used to sing the first anime theme song in the hallways and, especially, during lunch.

I was, somewhat, a class clown, so I dunno if anyone took me serious.
Old July 2, 2011, 01:59:43 PM
Magikarp

I'd never dream of telling anyone I play Pokémon, outside of my close friends, as most of my community consists of COD-obsessed, stuck-up, immature idiots who like to make fun of people for being even the slightest bit different due to their own insecurities. I just keep my hobby to myself and my friends. However, I've never been embarrassed about the fact that I still play Pokémon. I just don't want to publicize it to make my life even more stressful.

However, my best bud is a Pokémaniac just like me. I think he's actually trying to make a wearable Cubone skull out of clay as I type this.
Old July 4, 2011, 07:20:24 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraKshatriya View Post
I may have been more weary of talking about it in early Junior High, maybe, but I openly talk about it, now, at least. Even nag my friends to get some Pokemon games (and a few play the games, anyway, two in particular).
This. I've gotten to the point in my school where pretty much everyone would be totally happy to have a conversation with someone who likes/d Pokémon. I wouldn't walk up to a random person and be all "Hey, Pokémon is awesome!" but most of the people I know and talk to are, coincidentally, people who all have some familiarity and acceptance of the fact that the series is... well... awesome. I go to a private school, and it's a bit... nerdy. There are strong academics, but it's more a culturally nerdy thing. Doctor Who, Minecraft, Memebase... You know, things that are awesome, but enough to provoke mocking from "that crowd." You know, the type of people who would love that stuff if they tried it, but are too prideful in being "cool" to try it in the first place. It's good that the very few people like that who come to my school are pretty easily converted into being pridefully quirky. Pokémon fits right in with that group of things, though (Doctor Who, Minecraft, Memebase, etc). It's, in fact, even closer to "that crowd," considering that there's not a single one of them who wasn't as obsessed with Pokémon as the rest of the school was in 2nd grade.