Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Battling and Trading Archive > Rate My Team

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 25, 2010, 01:43:47 PM
Charizard

Cool My 3rd Gen Tourney Team!

This is the team which I used to win the tournament held today, which had very special rules:

RULES    
1. Golden Rule: No illegitimately obtained, modified, hacked, or otherwise meddled with Pokemon allowed in this tournament. Due to a certain event regarding the last tourney, the RNG method of manipulating a Pokemon's stats is allowed.

2. Only Pokemon within the National Pokedex numbers 252-380 are allowed in this tournament, excluding 360 ( Wynaut). The reason the entire Hoenn National Pokedex list is not included is due to banned Pokemon.

Full list of banned Hoenn Pokemon: Wynaut, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquayza, Jirachi, Deoxys (all formes)

3. This tournament will be conducted in a forced Lv. 100 Doubles style.

4. Latias may not hold Soul Dew. Clamperl may not hold DeepSeaTooth.

5. The Doubles moveset, in which a trainer sends out a Pokemon and a Slaking, and have the two Skill Swap, or having one Pokemon use Gastro Acid on Slaking to eliminate Truant, is banned from use in the tourney.

6. LIMIT ONE: Only one of these Pokemon may be included on a team: Salamence, Metagross, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias (i.e, if you have a Metagross on your team, you are prohibited from using Regirock on your team as well)

7. Some clauses in effect:

Evasion: Moves that boost or lower evasiveness are forbidden.
OHKO: No usage of OHKO moves.
Sleep: No two Pokemon may be asleep, whether on or off the battlefield. Since this tournament is conducted in Doubles this rule is especially emphasized.
Species: Only one of the same Pokemon may be on one team.
Doubles Items: Only two of the same items may be held on two different Pokemon. Items with similar effects can be held by two different Pokemon, and multiples of the same Berry genus may be held by more than two Pokemon.
SelfDestruct/Explosion: If the user KO's both the opponents and his/her final Pokemon, user loses.

So I decided to make a Trick Room team.

If you don't know what Trick Room does, it basically makes slower Pokemon go first and faster Pokemon go last. So normally Jolteon will attack before Slowbro, but under Trick Room, Slowbro will attack before Jolteon. And this effect lasts for 5 turns.

Banette @Focus Sash
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
Nature: Brave (+Atk, - Spd)

-Shadow Claw
-Shadow Sneak
-Trick Room
-Destiny Bond

I use Banette as my lead Trick Roomer for two reasons:
1. It has Insomnia, which means it can never be put to sleep.
2. It's a Ghost type, which means it is immune to Fake Out and Explosion.

These two facts combined with Focus Sash means that Banette will pretty much always be able to use Trick Room on the very first turn, which is extremely important for this team.

Once Trick Room is activated, I use Shadow Claw until Banette is at low health. Then I use Destiny Bond. Since it affects both opponents, as long as Banette gets defeated by one of their attacks, it will take down an opponent as well.
Shadow Sneak is there as a priority move in case an opponent is slower than it (which means it will go first under Trick Room).

Hariyama @Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def

-Fake Out
-Close Combat
-Facade
-Protect

Hariyama is Banette's lead partner.
First, Hariyama uses Fake Out on which ever opponent is more threatening, giving Banette time to use Trick Room. If both opponents are equally threatening and can take Hariyama out in one hit, it will use Protect.

After the first turn, Hariyama's Flame Orb activates, turning it's 372 Attack into 558 Attack!

Then it just uses Close Combat until it dies. Facade is for opponents who resist Fighting, but don't resist Normal. As you may know, Facade doubles in power if the user has a status condition.

Hariyama and Banette are best buddies since Banette defeats Ghost opponents that Hariyama can't hit and Hariyama defeats Normal opponents that Banette can't hit.

Solrock @Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate

-Trick Room
-Rock Slide
-Explosion
-Earthquake

Solrock is my second Trick Roomer in case Trick Room runs out before the battle is over. Its attacking moves work well because all three hit both opponents. Rock Slide also has the ability to flinch both opponents.

Claydol @Leftovers
Ability: Levitate

-Trick Room
-Rock Slide
-Explosion
-Earthquake

Claydol is my third Trick Roomer and has the exact same moveset as Solrock, so there's not much else to explain.

Camerupt @Passho Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 SAtk
Nature: Quiet (+SAtk, - Spd)

-Eruption
-Heat Wave
-Explosion
-Protect

*shiny* Camerupt is one of my sweepers after Hariyama dies. It's also the slowest Pokemon on the team, which means it will pretty much always go first under Trick Room. Eruption does massive damage to both opponents. If Camerupt has taken a lot of damage, it switches to Heat Wave (which also hits both opponents) or explodes. Protect lets my other Pokemon use Earthquake or Explosion without harming Camerupt.
Passho Berry + Solid Rock means it can survive Water attacks pretty well.

Metagross @Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body

-Meteor Mash
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Explosion

Metagross is one of the most powerful sweepers in 3rd gen. It has a very similar moveset to Solrock and Claydol, but it can deal way more damage.
Old April 25, 2010, 01:54:23 PM
Shaymin

Woah, dude. This is a really creative moveset. I love how the Hariyama basically becomes a freakin' powerhouse and three of your Pokemon are designed to just wipe out the field with an Explosion.

Also, METAGROSS > : D

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; April 25, 2010 at 01:54:40 PM.
Old April 26, 2010, 10:30:36 AM
Giratina

Here are my comments:

-Why have Rock Slide on 3 different Pokémon?
You could've instead used other moves which cover more types.

-Did you realize before starting the tournament that Water-type attacks are super-effective against half of your team? (Solrock, Claydol, Camerupt)
This would've been a really big threat, if you ask me.

Otherwise, like Lite, I gotta applaud you for being creative in making a Trick Room team. Such teams are very uncommon, and often require a good level of skill in making them work as you want them to.
Old April 26, 2010, 11:06:40 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
-Why have Rock Slide on 3 different Pokémon?
You could've instead used other moves which cover more types.
What other move hits both opponents, has a 30% chance of flinching, and covers types that are resistant to Ground?

-Did you realize before starting the tournament that Water-type attacks are super-effective against half of your team? (Solrock, Claydol, Camerupt)
This would've been a really big threat, if you ask me.
I already knew that, but there's no Water-type I've faced that has given this team any trouble. Milotics and Swamperts have been used in all of my battles and they all die to a Guts-boosted Close Combat or Explosion.
Old April 26, 2010, 12:58:40 PM
Kyurem

Very impressive! I am sure Milotic could take a Close Combat though, since I have the thing EV'd to be extremely bulky, and nearly impossible to OHKO. Alas, I made some a bad mistakes and also expected different things in our final battle. I though that Banette was going to use Skill Swap on Hariyama, getting Guts, and Banette would have a Flame Orb or the like and start a sweep. I also forgot about Insomnia, mostly because Banette is so rare in competitve play I forget what he has. XD Oh, and would you mind if I posted my team here, since you clearly know alot about battling?

Swampert @Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def. 4 Atk.
Nature: Impish (+Def -Sp.Atk)

~Yawn
~Stealth Rock
~Earthquake
~Protect

What's there to say? I try to get the rocks up early, since they help me deal with threats easier, especially flyers like Salamence, Swellow, or even Altarias that could catch me off guard. Yawn is a fun HG/SS exclusive move that can ruin sweepers and the like, Earthquake is a must-have in Double Battles and works well with Swampert's partner, while Protect is for general scouting and Leftovers recovery. The only problem is that this guy's usefulness gets used up if he stays around too long, because you can only put one thing to sleep, gets one layer of rocks up, and Protect once before you have to Earthquake.

Swellow @Toxic Orb
252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def / 252 Spd.
Nature: Jolly (+Spd - Sp.Atk)

~Protect
~Brave Bird
~Facade
~Quick Attack

Need I explain? I Protect turn one to get the Orb going, and then I fight until I die. Swampert can Earthquake as much as he likes with Swellow around, and Swellow will be killing the Grass types that terrify Swampert. Facade and Brave Bird offer sheer power that runs off a now massive attack stat, while Quick Attack is for the always useful priority.

Milotic @Wide Lens
252 HP/ 150 Def/ 102 Sp. Atk
Nature: Bold (+Def. -Atk.)

~Hydro Pump
~Toxic
~Blizzard
~Recover

A variant of my regular Milotic I use in single battles! Since Leftovers were needed my Swampert and my next Pokemon, I had to opt for a different strategy. I also couldn't use Surf and hurt my fellow Pokemon. So what to do? I decided a Wide Lens set would do the trick, and I would trash Surf and Ice Beam for Hydro Pump and Blizzard. There were a few times when Blizzard hit both foes, to my immense joy. Using Hydro Pump may have been a problem though, since it only hits one foe and if it misses I just wasted a turn. As luck would have it, this factor screwed me over in the finals.

Registeel @Custap Berry
252 Atk/ 100 Atk/ 156 Sp.Def
Nature: Sassy (+Sp. Def -Spd.)

~Endure
~EXPLOSION!!
~Thunder Wave
~Iron Head

The point of this set set is to GUARANTEE an Explosion. I spread paralysis around using my impressive Defenses, Iron Head to deal minor damage, and when things are getting tough, I Endure. Custap Berry activates, which allows me to go first only one! (in a pinch) This allows for a free Explosion! This usually takes my friends out too, which is actually necessary for my trump card strategy.

Medicham @Lum Berry
252 HP/ 4 Sp.Atk /252 Spd.
Nature: Timid (-Atk + Spd)

~Mud Slap
~Helping Hand
~Toxic
~Endure

This thing makes me sick to my stomach. It is completely useless in any another position than to which I was using it. It is bad to say the least, and it's only purpose in life is to help my final member by first Enduring, then Helping Handing until it dies. Mud Slap could be useful just to hope for hax, and Toxic is filler.

Duslopcs @Leftovers
252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def.
Nature: Adamant (-Sp.Atk +Atk)

~Skill Swap
~Ice Punch
~Sucker Punch
~Earthquake

Meet Dusclops, the physical attacker! This thing must be sent out with Medicham for my gimmick strategy to work. Medicham Endures to make sure it survives, while Dusclops Skill Swaps, and as such gets a base 140 Atk. Sucker Punch absolutely destroys things that try to outspeed and kill, while Earthquake is for overall strong damage. Ice Punch helps because of Ice's fantastic offensive abilities. Dusclops is hampered by a lack of good STAB however, as Shadow Sneak was just too weak.

That's it. Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Old April 26, 2010, 01:21:31 PM
Charizard

Don't you think you would be better off posting your own thread?

Yeah, your last 2 Pokemon are pretty useless.
As you have seen, Sucker Punch boosted by Helping Hand and Pure Power didn't even do 50% to my Metagross.

A much better strategy would have involved Role Play.

Medicham @Focus Sash
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly (-Sp.Atk +Spd)

-Fake Out
-Brick Break
-Psycho Cut
-Helping Hand

Banette @Focus Sash
252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def.
Nature: Adamant (-Sp.Atk +Atk)

-Role Play
-Sucker Punch
-Shadow Sneak
-Destiny Bond

Medicham uses Fake Out while Banette uses Role Play and copies Pure Power. After Role Play, Banette will have 722 Attack! Then use priority moves to attack first while Medicham uses Helping Hand or attacks.
Old April 26, 2010, 01:48:07 PM
Kyurem

It seems silly to run Destiny Bond on a Pokemon with 722 Atk, and those two moves are absolutely halted by Registeel and the like. I would have used Role Play, but I'm not far enough in HG so I am not at the tutors yet. It's also not surprising Sucker Punch didn't do 50%, because of:
-Lack of STAB
-Metagross' High Defense
-Sucler Punch's Base 80 Atk
Old April 26, 2010, 02:29:34 PM
Charizard

It's not like Dusclops can do better. I mean, did you really think you can sweep anything with 25 base speed? And if you can name a physical move Banette learns that is supereffective against Steels, go ahead. Besides, Registeel is covered by Medicham's Brick Break.

Last edited by aragornbird; April 26, 2010 at 02:30:30 PM.
Old April 26, 2010, 02:51:54 PM
Kyurem

Registeel could easily take a Medicham Brick Break, and foil Medicham's plans with Thuder Wave. Dusclops' 25 Speed doesn't make much of a difference because Sucker Punch would be my main form of attacking and it has the Defenses to take a hit if I really must use Ice Punch or Earthquake. Plus, if the oponnent catches on and stop using attacking moves to ruin Sucker Punch, I can immediately switch to Ice Punch or Earthquake and it won't really matter that I move second. I would have used Banette if it woeren't for the Registeel complex.
Old April 26, 2010, 03:56:37 PM
Shaymin

Oh my gosh Aragorn, that team is insane. No wonder you won. That team is REALLY hard to beat. Good job and congrats!