Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old September 7, 2010, 07:41:08 AM
Volcarona

Default What do you think the actual "Pokemon Reality" is? Anime, Game or Manga?

As the title says. This isnt a debate about wether the manga or anime is better.

In the actual "Pokemon Reality World", do you think it would follow the reality of the manga? Where Jessie and James get married, Red stops after Kanto, etc. The reality of the games? Where the events of Spear Pillar take place, Red takes down Team Rocket, etc. Or the reality of the anime? Where.. anime stuff happens?

Websites like Bulbapedia state that all 3 mediums, game, manga, and anime, are all considered canon. (Which really, REALLY, messes with my head) Do you think they are all one? Or do you think there are 3 dimensions where each of these realities exist?

I spend alot of time inside my head, and Ive always it would be cool to have the manga, game and anime reality be the same thing. Meaning that Ash, Red, Gary, Blue/Green, Gold, Kenta, and all counterparts co-exist in the same world, and that they all might actually know each other as other people from their starting towns, and go their separate ways after turning 10.

What do you think?

(Mods, should this be in casual debate or something? Meh, i dunno, you decide)

Edit: WHOOHOO, I JUST REALIZED I MADE 30 POSTS, IM A MUDKIP DD

Last edited by AnathemA; September 7, 2010 at 07:42:51 AM.
Old September 7, 2010, 08:18:16 AM
Landorus

I think the reality is the game because that's what came first.
Old September 7, 2010, 09:13:34 AM
Rayquaza

I would prefer it to be the game. The game is more organized and to the point.
Old September 7, 2010, 11:07:31 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idno58 View Post
I think the reality is the game because that's what came first.
I agree with this. If it wasn't for the game, there would be no pokemon, making the games the original version of the reality.
Old September 7, 2010, 03:10:30 PM
Charizard

Yeah, the game started it and overall makes the most sense.
Old September 7, 2010, 03:55:19 PM
Haxorus

it has to be the game it started it all.

Last edited by Jaredvcxz; September 7, 2010 at 03:59:09 PM. Reason: No losing the game here >:C
Old September 8, 2010, 05:39:08 PM
Volcarona

I think the game is the closest thing we can get for Pokemon reality. The plot is more simple than the anime and the manga and makes more sense.

But the anime sometimes goes deeper in the mechanics of Pokemon. I like how the anime gets creative and adds more information to make it more interesting. One example would be in the game, it didn't explain how the 3 starters from each generation are given the same level, but in the anime starters are raised secretly by breeders.
Old September 8, 2010, 06:15:14 PM
Celebi

I would say the anime, because stuff that is in the game like speed priority and stuff, that doesnt count in the anime, plus you can tell your Pokemon to dodge every attack so you would never get hit.

Last edited by [TRDRS]PokeTrader; October 31, 2010 at 05:03:21 AM.
Old September 9, 2010, 09:29:43 PM
Regigigas

Personally, I prefer the manga canon. It has the best story, and conveys the world well.
Old September 9, 2010, 09:39:37 PM
Cyndaquil

I'd prefer the Game because it gets to the point.
Old September 9, 2010, 11:22:51 PM
Keldeo

The Games... No not The Game, Well anyways the games came out first so I hear, because the Anime and the Manga is both based off the games, but that isn't my opinion, there is a certain point of strategy involved with the games.

Plus: I never read the Manga

Last edited by Jaredvcxz; September 10, 2010 at 10:50:56 AM. Reason: NO LOSING THE GAME HERE >:C
Old April 10, 2011, 07:04:02 AM
Linoone

The games definatly, they came first so without them we wouldn't have the anime or the manga.
Old April 10, 2011, 06:46:14 PM
Regigigas

I'd say the games. For the most part.

I hate how there are so many variations of the same events in different Pokemon games, i.e., in Diamond, Cyrus only wants to take control of Dialga, but in Pearl, he wants to take control of Palkia, and then in Platinum, he wants both, but Giratina intervenes. And they confirmed in Black and White that the slightly differing events in both games are actually taking place in different universes. So basically, if you believe the games are canon, then you have to believe that there are alternate universes, some of which may be those of the anime or manga.

I, however, like to believe in a mix of the games and anime. I consider the third versions the most canonical, along with some aspects of the anime (that do not include plot), like a further explanation of the design and history of the Poke ball, lack of levels, etc.
Old April 18, 2011, 04:22:32 PM
Regigigas

I do believe that in semi-rare cases, the anime and manga come exceedingly close to being in the same universe, due to battle mechanics and areas not in the games. However, the manga has multiple iterations and personalities of the same core characters; For example, Red. The anime uses a select few main characters with single set personalities, and leave the Character/Pokémon of the Day to create a temporary spark of personality change. The games are much simpler personality-wise, however sometimes I wish your player character could say more than a simple yes or no depending on the situation.

Overall, I would say the anime is the most realistic reality, the games are the best reality, and the manga(s) is/are the most abundant and diverse reality.
Old April 20, 2011, 06:49:40 AM
Haxorus

I would like to think that the game is the most "real." Just because the manga and anime were spin offs of the game.

If you did consider all three as one world, I think it might work. The games portray one story of our protagonists/antagonists. The manga is another story that they all have. Then, the anime has Ash and another protagonist, both of which you never regularly see in your in-game adventure. So, they all could be in the same world.
Old April 20, 2011, 07:44:55 AM
Servine

The anime is too much of a spin-off, with moves and pokemon that doesn't hurt people, too many towns and places that doesn't exist in games, itens, characters, rules...I think Pokemon Adventures is a good take on how the game could convert into "reality", even Satoshi Tajiri said so. So I'll go with the manga, which is heavily based on the games.
Old April 21, 2011, 05:37:53 PM
Kyurem

I sadly have to say that the anime is the true Pokemon Universe. The games just had too weak of a plot. "Cyrus has captured a bunch of legendary Pokemon, oh no. Let's go beat him up and capture the legendary Pokemon for myself. Yay." The anime, while it may be... horrible in some people's opinions, actually conveys the story better than the games, whatever the story may be.

Although I don't have any experience with the manga so my choice is a bit limited.

Also, another point I forgot to include, everyone when they think of the games think of the metagaming, not the plot or anything like that. It's all about strategy nowadays.

Last edited by NismoZ; April 21, 2011 at 05:39:42 PM.