Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 31, 2011, 01:00:42 PM
Servine

Question Can anyone help me set up Wi-Fi for battles?

I have a router, but I do not know how to set it up to allow Wi-Fi battles. I once called Nintendo about it, but they said it'd require me to reset passwords for my router and others things, is this true? I have a free Netgear router from Comcast [ Netgear WNR1000v2 ], if you're wondering.
Old March 31, 2011, 01:11:59 PM

Netgear routers are kind of tricky. First of all, DSes can only do certain kinds of security. If you can, you should try to change it to a WEP password. I know the Netgear I used to have was set up only to let devices in which the MAC code of the device is within the router information. Perhaps if you can figure out how to do that, you may be in luck.
Old March 31, 2011, 02:12:47 PM
Regigigas

There is an local address for your router. It varies by model, but most likely you'll need a password to get in. This allows you to set pretty much everything including passwords and what not. DS'es only take open (unsecured) and WEP Key security. First, try opening a Wi-Fi compatible game, opening up the settings (in this case it would be on the main menu and you can't possibly miss it) pick any of the slots and tap "Search for Access Point." There would be a unlock icon if your router is open. In that case, you should be good to go.

Alternatively, I would ask the person that set it up if I were you. Netgear routers are really tricky as well.
Old April 1, 2011, 07:59:12 PM
Servine

@Ditto616: I see what you mean. Do you know what website you go to change it to WEP? I looked for the site on Google, but whatever websites I went to, my browsers wouldn't open it.

@AshArmy: I don't know who set it up, it was a Comcast cable guy who came in to also fix my cable box.
Old April 1, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

You actually have to go into your router's settings. I believe you can do that by typing your IP address into the address bar. I'm not sure how else you can do it.
Old April 1, 2011, 09:17:04 PM
Servine

I see. Sorry for bugging you, but do you know how I can find my IP?
Old April 1, 2011, 09:47:04 PM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeMaster View Post
I see. Sorry for bugging you, but do you know how I can find my IP?
It depends on which operating system you are using. If it is Windows, then in the Start Button menu, you will find 'Run'. Click it and type CMD, then press Enter. A DOS windows will appear. Type there IPCONFIG and then press Enter. All kinds of addresses with appear, and your IP address will be one of them.

I used to have a Netgear router and I actually found it quite easy to access WiFi. After you access the Netgear maintaining website, you will be easily able to change the settings of the password to WEP. Once that is done, the DS should easily be able to access WiFi.
Old April 2, 2011, 01:24:38 AM
Giratina

Your default IP is 192.168.1.1 on almost every home network. If you have a DSi and you only want to play online with Pokémon Black or White, then having WPA doesn't matter, since those games support it when being used on a DSi (Earlier Pokémon games don't support WPA).
Old April 2, 2011, 10:44:45 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Your default IP is 192.168.1.1 on almost every home network. If you have a DSi and you only want to play online with Pokémon Black or White, then having WPA doesn't matter, since those games support it when being used on a DSi (Earlier Pokémon games don't support WPA).
I'm using a 3DS for Pokemon White, and it's still telling me to go configure the internet in the system settings. Is "WPA" a short way of saying "WPA2-PSK (AES)", or is the latter some completley different overprotected IP?

EDIT: Never mind, I realized that doesn't matter after going into "Mystery Gift" and connected to the internet from there.

Last edited by LucarioMario; April 2, 2011 at 10:52:54 AM.