Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming

Notices

Search this Thread
Old September 4, 2011, 09:14:27 AM
Zoroark

Default Who does not want a 6th generation?

I surely don't and here's why:
Ugly pokémon that they can't possibly make look worse
I just think that they've officially run out of ideas and need to come to a stopping point for this generation. Everything must come to an end, right?
Old September 4, 2011, 12:10:31 PM
Haxorus

I really don't think that's a legitamate reason on why there shouldn't be a sixth generation, but I'll go with it.

But still, Nintendo/Game Freak is not going to end Pokemon. It is a best selling franchise, earning them millions of dollars, ESPECIALLY when a new generation of games come out.

And there has to be SOMETHING else you don't like about Gen. 5. A few Pokemon that aren't the prettiest will keep you from buying the next games?
Old September 4, 2011, 12:26:58 PM
Zoroark

People are gonna stop buying the games if they just keep making the same old game with different characters, so their best bet is to use a new formula for the next gen if they bother to make one Also, they're economy is worse now due to the quake.
Old September 4, 2011, 01:37:58 PM
Kyurem

There are those among us who would be perfectly contempt to play with the same Pokémon, the same moves, the same items. There are those among us who just want to expand the core mechanics of the game like the Pokémon, moves, and items have been expanded (that is, since day one it was 6 Pokémon, 4 moves, and 8 badges -- we want this to change).

They aren't out of ideas -- they're just trying too hard (I think they really want to start fresh, and this shows). The 5th generation really expanded the formula yet people somehow never really recognize this (it was identical between the 3rd and 4th). Now, TMs were forever. The experience engine was rewritten. Fuller 3D was used (it only ever existed in HGSS, really -- though, from what I've heard, Platinum was rewritten to match parts of HGSS's graphic engine). Seasons, easily one of my most beloved concepts in the game, appear (this is really only paralleled by Day&Night, a feature of GSC). Triple battles expand one of the big innovations of the 3rd generation. The list goes on.

Platinum is my favourite game in the entire series; I loved its storyline, its graphics, and the fact that it /was/ Pokémon. BW really disappointed me in terms of the storyline, but I think that will change. So, yes, I /really/ want a new game.

Last edited by FreezeWarp; September 4, 2011 at 01:40:28 PM.
Old September 4, 2011, 01:39:46 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plusleplusminun View Post
I surely don't and here's why:
Ugly pokémon that they can't possibly make look worse
I just think that they've officially run out of ideas and need to come to a stopping point for this generation. Everything must come to an end, right?
People said the same thing after Gen IV. Then B/W came in and smashed records. Apparently, it takes more than just a couple of 'ugly-looking' Pokémon for fans to quit.
I don't want to argue right now so I'm going to keep it short and sweet: Game Freak almost never fails in main title games, so there's no need to put a sudden end to the highly-successful series that millions of people still enjoy.

Last edited by Shadow; September 4, 2011 at 01:42:11 PM.
Old September 4, 2011, 01:41:36 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
People said the same thing after Gen IV. Then B/W came in and smashed records. Apparently, it takes more than just a couple of 'ugly-looking' Pokémon for fans to quit.
I don't want to argue right now so I'm going to keep it short and sweet: Game Freak almost never fails in main title games, so there's no need to put a sudden end to the highly-successful series that millions of people still enjoy.
It also changed things up; B/W wasn't so much the same thing unlike Gen IV. But I'm just rehashing my last post for emphasis
Old September 4, 2011, 02:42:16 PM
Rayquaza

I don't see this thread ending well.

PlusleplusMinun if you like pokemon so much then stop complaining.

Last edited by Magmaster12; September 4, 2011 at 02:43:20 PM.
Old September 4, 2011, 04:45:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
This = good thread:
http://victoryroad.net/showthread.ph...142#post197142

Thread is not against rules.
Thread makes good points.
Thread encourages good debate.

...Message "If you like Pokémon stop complaining" = highly annoying, not appropriate, and heavily biased. People who like Pokémon are right to complain, neigh, criticize. People who like Pokémon are interested in Pokémon's future.
Old September 5, 2011, 03:40:14 AM
Rayquaza

It is crazy to stop the release of Pokémon games, because simply, they are highly successful and a good way to earn millions of profits. But if I look at my situation here, I don't think I will be interested in any new game anymore. B/W was a great game in terms of all the new mechanics, but I soon lost interest in it. Therefore, if is about me, I don't need and I no longer care about a new generation, but if you look at those who are still young and new to Pokémon (who didn't play the older generations like us, but started in Gen IV), they would still want to see more.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:28:54 AM
Landorus

You sound just like my friend, so I'll just say to you what I said to him.

You can whine and moan and complain about the new games all you want, that's fine, I'll just sit back here and enjoy them. And be happy.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:35:23 AM
Zoroark

Well I guess if they don't make anymore new pokémon people are gonna complain and want more new ones.
Old September 6, 2011, 04:26:11 PM
Cyndaquil

Yeah. Pokemon is quite popular. I really don't care about the 6th generation because the 5th's only begun.
Old September 7, 2011, 04:19:06 AM
Shaymin

Personally, I like them coming out with new generations. It is exciting playing the games and figure out the new pokemon. When ever there is a generation there ALWAYS one that looks well... bad, but that doesn't mean they are "running out of ideas" it means You don't like there new ideas. True, food-based pokemon is a little dumb, but they make up for it with awesome ones that (almost) everyone loves (Mew2, Lucario, and Zoroark). So yea, i do want to see another generation.
Old September 7, 2011, 11:29:06 AM
Kyurem

If the topic of discussion is ugly and uncreative Pokemon, then I think we should go back to Gen. 1 .

A seal named Seel.
A pile of sludge that evolves into bigger sludge.
Purple rat.
Pokeball that flips over and gets angrier when it evolves.

Most people remember the first 151 with great fondness solely due to nostalgia value. I love the first generation Pokemon as much as the next guy, but I can still see that some of them certainly were not the most original. Conversely, I see the ones that really stand out, much like I do with the Pokemon of all generations.

Sure, there will always be Pokemon that I don't much care for, but every generation has successfully been able to add Pokemon that are on my list of favorites! I await the 6th generation's Pokemon with bated breath, but since Gen. 5 just came out I am willing to wait.
Old September 25, 2011, 06:52:31 PM
Cyndaquil

I wouldn't mind a 6th Generation, it's fun seeing what they come up with. Personally, though, I love Gens 1 and 3 the most. I'm hoping for an updated version of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, as long as they don't mess it up, sometime in the future. It's seems unlikely, since they seem to be moving forward quickly, but HG and SS renewed my hopes.
Old September 25, 2011, 07:01:47 PM
Charizard

I want more games for the sole fact it's fun to be new trainer and meet new pokemon with a whole new cast. If you just replayed the first 5 gen again and again, it'd get boring fast. And I think 5 was a HUGE step up from 4, so hopefully it will only get better.
Old September 26, 2011, 01:24:51 PM
Charizard

It does not matter how many "ugly Pokemon" each new generation has, every generation has good looking Pokemon and bad looking ones, just as long as people buy the games, it's fine.

It would also be nice if they did something different than the usuall "get 8 Badges, stop Team *insert something here*, defeat Elite Four, become champion, repeat in the next region" formula that has been used for the past 15 years, and when it comes to evil teams, they should at least try something different for the naming other than "Team *insert something here*", Black and White was very close to breaking the formula, but it still had the Gym Leaders and Elite Four, they should try something like Pokemon Special does, and have an overarching storyline that has much variety, rather than just recycling the same plotlines again and again.

On another subject, they should try and do something to appeal to the older fans of the franchise, rather than aiming every single game towards the same target audience every time. Yes, I know Pokemon is a kids game, but it would be something very unique to the franchise, having a game aimed towards an older audience than the usuall one...

I'm not complaining at all, I love the games the way they are, but it would be nice if they added a little more "variety" to the story rather than having the same recycled plot every single time.

Last edited by Masterge77; September 26, 2011 at 01:29:48 PM.
Old October 2, 2011, 11:34:36 AM
Mudkip

I would certainly like a Gen 6, but like what Masterge77 said, I think they should change something to make it better and more original. I also like the idea of having two rivals (Gen 3/4 (?)/5).

Just like what many other people said, there are good designs and bad designs. That's like saying every region/generation has their own ups and downs. You shouldn't just stop because of the downs, because you should look at the bright side. That's also how life is.
Old October 3, 2011, 03:09:53 PM
Pikachu

I think, there would be a 6th generation, but I personally won't like it.
Since the 5th generation, Gamefreak doesn't create beautyful Pokémon any longer.
They aren't just not beautyful, they are worse! (my opinion)
Old October 3, 2011, 03:14:50 PM
Kyurem

Honestly, Generation V was one of my favorite Generations that I will always remember.
The Pokemon were what made it great. I hear people all the time complaining about them, but ya got to appreciate them. As a matter of fact, I thought that this Gen's Pokemon had the best design out of every Gen. I really wouldn't have imagined a Chandelier Pokemon like Chandelure.

Hopefully a possible Generation VI will surpass the greatness of BW and make the series even better.

Last edited by Shiny; October 3, 2011 at 03:15:10 PM.
Old October 3, 2011, 03:17:23 PM
Landorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulnona View Post
I think, there would be a 6th generation, but I personally won't like it.
Since the 5th generation, Gamefreak doesn't create beautiful Pokémon any longer.
They aren't just not beautiful, they are worse! (my opinion)
...Looks don't show a pokemon's power. When I first saw Timburr, I thought I would only use it for the Normal Gym. After I beat the mad woman and her evil watchog, I became attached to that pokmon. Looks can't defy what power a pokemon has. I always thought looks defyed pokemon's power. That's inncorrect.(Am I sounding too much like Alder?) I now continue to train my pokemon, Ugly or not, pokemon will always seem beautiful to me.

Last edited by 7dewott8; October 3, 2011 at 03:18:16 PM.
Old October 7, 2011, 04:44:22 PM
Zoroark

I just noticed something: The more ugly the pokémon look the more they look like monsters! Isn't that what they're supposed to be? So I now think they're going in the right direcction with uglier, more monster-like deigns.
Old October 7, 2011, 11:18:52 PM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterge77 View Post
It does not matter how many "ugly Pokemon" each new generation has, every generation has good looking Pokemon and bad looking ones, just as long as people buy the games, it's fine.

It would also be nice if they did something different than the usuall "get 8 Badges, stop Team *insert something here*, defeat Elite Four, become champion, repeat in the next region" formula that has been used for the past 15 years, and when it comes to evil teams, they should at least try something different for the naming other than "Team *insert something here*", Black and White was very close to breaking the formula, but it still had the Gym Leaders and Elite Four, they should try something like Pokemon Special does, and have an overarching storyline that has much variety, rather than just recycling the same plotlines again and again.

On another subject, they should try and do something to appeal to the older fans of the franchise, rather than aiming every single game towards the same target audience every time. Yes, I know Pokemon is a kids game, but it would be something very unique to the franchise, having a game aimed towards an older audience than the usuall one...

I'm not complaining at all, I love the games the way they are, but it would be nice if they added a little more "variety" to the story rather than having the same recycled plot every single time.
You cannot claim that kids were the target audience of BW. BW had a more sinister and complicated plot and than a small kid would understand. It definitely aimed at older players, but yet again, they cannot make the game totally bloody and rated as T or R, otherwise Pokémon would lose its friendly image. Furthermore, I assure you that competitive battling was never something that a kid can understand. Even I find it hard to get some of the formulae used.

As for the plot that goes on circles, I think people got used to it that many might not like a change. Honestly, the games were originally made to serve the purpose of defeating the gym leaders and becoming the champion. Removing such thing means removing the whole purpose of the game. They would never do it, but probably add more interesting twists to it, like what they did in BW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7dewott8 View Post
...Looks don't show a pokemon's power. When I first saw Timburr, I thought I would only use it for the Normal Gym. After I beat the mad woman and her evil watchog, I became attached to that pokmon. Looks can't defy what power a pokemon has. I always thought looks defyed pokemon's power. That's inncorrect.(Am I sounding too much like Alder?) I now continue to train my pokemon, Ugly or not, pokemon will always seem beautiful to me.
I agree with you on that. I used too hate both Bronzong and Magnezone, but after using them competitively in my gym, I started liking them more.
Old October 8, 2011, 07:41:16 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plusleplusminun View Post
I just noticed something: The more ugly the pokémon look the more they look like monsters! Isn't that what they're supposed to be? So I now think they're going in the right direcction with uglier, more monster-like deigns.
...Mmmeh...I understand your point, I mean it is "Pocket Monsters", but if all of them looked like savage beasts, no one would be interested. I personally like the concept of a tiny cute looking pokemon that you just want to squeeze eventually turning into this giant monster who can squeeze you. To death.

As far as what Vulnona said, I have to disagree to an extent. I think there are plenty of pokemon from Gen V that look adorable, despite the demand for originality that would normally deform a pokemon's design beyond its own existence. Yeah, there are pokemon that just look like...why...? But there are plenty of others that look just plain boss.
Old October 15, 2011, 01:44:35 PM
Charizard

First off, this whole "Ohhhh, all the new Pokemon are stupid and unoriginal, *inserts more whining here*", they're Pokemon, and to me, every generation, they're all original, and I don't care that some of them are ugly, because they're Pokemon. I'm not gonna stop playing the games becasue there's two Pokemon I don't like {I generally like most of the Pokemon that are released generation after generation}. So stop it, it's dumb :I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterge77 View Post

Masterge, it's Pokemon. They're not gonna change they 8 gyms and Elite Four, it's tradition, and it won't, or it better not, change. That's what Pokemon was based off of, and it should always be the same, otherwise it's just not Pokemon, plain and simple, end of story. They could have other things you have to do, but they should never take out/edit the 8 gyms and Elite Four.

Now, I really can't wait for a new generation, and hopefully they'll come up with good original ideas that will capture audiences of all ages and keep us entertained, as they did the past 5 generations. And personally, BRING ON THE FOOD BASED POKEMON! God I loved Vanillite, Vanillish, and Vanilluxe, by FAR my favourite Gen 5 Pokemon. Why? Because they're awesome, deal with it :I
Old October 16, 2011, 06:58:10 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenova View Post
And personally, BRING ON THE FOOD BASED POKEMON! God I loved Vanillite, Vanillish, and Vanilluxe, by FAR my favourite Gen 5 Pokemon. Why? Because they're awesome, deal with it :I
Did we not have mushroom from before?
Old October 16, 2011, 07:51:07 AM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariothecellist View Post
I really don't think that's a legitamate reason on why there shouldn't be a sixth generation, but I'll go with it.

But still, Nintendo/Game Freak is not going to end Pokemon. It is a best selling franchise, earning them millions of dollars, ESPECIALLY when a new generation of games come out.

And there has to be SOMETHING else you don't like about Gen. 5. A few Pokemon that aren't the prettiest will keep you from buying the next games?
I remember reading somewhere that Generation V is the all time best selling Pokemon game, or the second best. [I remember Ruby being in the Genesis Book of World Records for being the all time best selling gameboy game with Sapphire just behind]
Old October 16, 2011, 01:40:39 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
Did we not have mushroom from before?
Yeah, but everyone complains about Vanillite and them.

And also, mushrooms aren't always considered food.

Last edited by JJ; October 16, 2011 at 01:41:49 PM.
Old October 16, 2011, 03:35:42 PM
Servine

I didn't make it, but THIS. :U
Old October 17, 2011, 05:57:42 AM
Rayquaza

Well, this is arguable. Many people look at Chandelure as an interesting and creative Pokémon, with I being one of them. Some Pokémon aren't appealing, but this has happened in every generation. People just want to rant, whether their ranting is reasonable or not...
Old October 17, 2011, 08:01:39 AM
Charizard

While that's true, what she's arguing is that the newer ones are more creative than the older ones, which I agree with.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:11:45 AM
Floatzel

I don't care if a few pokemon are ugly. Personally 5th Gen is my favourite yet because we have Zoroark, and many others I like. I think if they wanted to make new pokemon, they should go back and make some more animal-like pokemon, like back in Gen I and II.

Also, not only is there the main games, but spin-off games, like Pokemon Ranger, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and now, we're gonna get Nabunaga's Ambition + Pokemon. The plots don't get lame, they just think up new ideas for a new/old series! With all the pokemon related stuffs out there, pokemon is still going pretty strong. I don't think it'll be dying out / ending any time soon.

Last edited by SilverX; January 14, 2012 at 07:06:00 AM.
Old January 16, 2012, 07:17:43 AM
Kyurem

I still only memorize 493 so far. 5th gen for me was enough. 6th gen is just too much. Besides I'm sure they're running out of ideas.
Old January 16, 2012, 07:52:15 AM
Giratina

As long as Gamefreak/Nintendo are making money from Pokemon products, they will continue to make new generations.

Personally, I don't care if they do or don't add another generation.