Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 14, 2010, 04:41:38 PM
Kyurem

Default Hidden Powerhouses: Good or Bad?

Hidden powerhouses. As in Bidoof and Magikarp and all that stuff. They absolutely suck at first, but when you finally evolve it, you get an extremely powerful Pokémon. What are your opinions on them?

Discuss.
Old July 14, 2010, 04:52:57 PM
Keldeo

Bibarels a power house? xD
Well I suppose with his ability and proper set up hes good. I dunno, although there pretty dang strong for in game purposes, I don't think its worth going through half the storyline with a magikarp when you can catch gyarados later on. I prefer just waiting until there stronger forms are available. :>
Old July 14, 2010, 05:07:09 PM
Regigigas

I sort of like these Pokemon, because it encourages trainers to level up weaker Pokemon.

What's really annoying is Feebas, who is not only this, BUT COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND.
Old July 14, 2010, 05:19:28 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
I sort of like these Pokemon, because it encourages trainers to level up weaker Pokemon.

What's really annoying is Feebas, who is not only this, BUT COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND.
Not to mention you have to max out its beauty to evolve it. ;3; I never evolved a feebas because of the ridiculous conditions. .-.
Old July 14, 2010, 05:46:04 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Not to mention you have to max out its beauty to evolve it. ;3; I never evolved a feebas because of the ridiculous conditions. .-.
Its easy enough in HeartGold/SoulSilver, where I was finally able to add the thing to my Pokédex. Now its at level 1, waiting for me to raise it...

But, uh, Bibarel's a powerhouse? I personally raised a Marikarp from Level 5 to my now super-awesome Gyrados that I use in most of my competitive battles.
Old July 15, 2010, 03:16:35 AM
Rayquaza

If you raise Bibarel in a good way, it can be a power-house, not only in-game, but also competitively. With its ability and the great move pool it got, it can be useful even in the OU tier. I personally like Bibarel.
Old July 15, 2010, 09:10:32 AM
Landorus

I say they're pretty good. Especially with dragon types (and Tyranitar) That trapinch SUCKS but when you evolve him, the other guy is screwed.
Old July 15, 2010, 09:56:43 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idno58 View Post
I say they're pretty good. Especially with dragon types (and Tyranitar) That trapinch SUCKS but when you evolve him, the other guy is screwed.
Um, Flygon's actually pretty good.
Old July 15, 2010, 01:17:19 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Bibarels a power house? xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
But, uh, Bibarel's a powerhouse?
Once you evolve it, it can learn four HM moves. Therefore you can keep your competitive team and a Bibarel with you at all times and not have to go to the PC, not to mention that moves like Surf are powerful.
Old July 15, 2010, 02:57:19 PM
Volcarona

I love the challenge of making "hidden powerhouses". For example, Pachirisu--that's something you wouldn't normally see, I'm pretty sure. It has pud offensive stats, so throw in a Super Fang; Light Screen to back up an incoming Sp. Defensively-challenged teammate, Thunder Wave for a speed-challenged teammate, and U-turn for scouting purposes. I've never actually tried it in a battle, but it looks good on paper (to my untrained eye).
Old July 15, 2010, 03:03:03 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Once you evolve it, it can learn four HM moves. Therefore you can keep your competitive team and a Bibarel with you at all times and not have to go to the PC, not to mention that moves like Surf are powerful.
I wouldn't call that a powerhouse as much as a "HM slave" xD Also bibarel can't make great use of surf or any moves really because of his horribly basic stats. I consider pokemon like salamence a powerhouse, being able attack with both special and normal attacks. With moves such as outrage and draco meteor that both get STAB and can put a dent in even the strongest defenses.

Bibarels only good as an HM slave and a baton pass receiver because of his ability.
Old July 15, 2010, 04:13:03 PM
Kyurem

Hm... Would Metagross count? The thing is freakin' beast, but at first it (Beldum) can only use Take Down.
Old August 5, 2010, 10:54:03 AM
Celebi

Swinub aren't very good. But with a bit of training and teaching, it evolves into Mamoswine, who aided me in knocking out Red's lvl 88 Pikachu in SS.
Old August 5, 2010, 11:02:55 AM
Kyurem

Alakazam is a very nice hidden powerhouse! Er, that is back in Gen. 1. Back then you could only find Abra with Teleport, so getting Alakazam was a challenge. Then, you had to find someone to trade and trade back with using those funky Gameboy cables. The next generations kinda fixed that though, by adding wild Kadabra and Wi-Fi making trading easier. :<

But Alakazam can still be considered a very good hidden powerhouse!

More so than Bibarel, at least.
Old August 5, 2010, 11:19:02 AM
Haxorus

I consider Tropius a powerhouse for odd reasons. It is, isn't it?
Old August 5, 2010, 12:05:14 PM
Landorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
Um, Flygon's actually pretty good.
I just said that.
Old August 5, 2010, 12:21:50 PM
Giratina

Well, in honesty, all first-stage Pokemon suck (Not including those without an evolution line). The only time you ever use them is for the first 5 hours or so of the game, because by then they've evolved. Some first-stage Pokemon suck but evolve into beasts (Like Magikarp>Gyarados), while some first-stage Pokemon suck and evolve into Pokemon that suck (Like Skitty>Delcatty). My opinion is:
Get the ones that evolve in to good ones, leave the ones that suck.