Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 26, 2015, 06:30:42 PM
Rayquaza

Default Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon Thread

Anyone got anything interesting to say about this game?

Personally I think it's the best one in the series the mechanics feels very evened out. I just wish the post game wasn't so hard.

Favorite mission I've been on so far is one where you go to Buizel's secret base and

He show's you his floatie homes 
Old November 26, 2015, 07:04:40 PM
Administrator

I picked the game up last Friday and have gotten to the summer vacation. I selected Fennekin with Riolu as a partner.
Old November 26, 2015, 07:39:04 PM
Administrator

I got the game last Sunday, I'm right at the start of Chapter 15. I'm a Charmander, with my partner a Totodile.

Liking the game so far, but it can be pretty brutal at times.
lol lets have your attack randomly miss half the time! Oh and half the moves will be able to 1-hit KO you. Oh only one step away from entering the room with the stairs? Let's put three enemies right in front of you. Also the one to befriend Houndoom is BRUTAL/ANNOYING.
Old November 26, 2015, 08:30:10 PM
Keldeo

Just got the game up to the feild trip and Charmander and Pikachu.
Old November 27, 2015, 08:35:25 AM
Kyurem

I finished the main story the other day, and I guess here's what I have to say on it:

Good Things    
  • Graphics from Gates to Infinity carry over, with all the major problems of GtI, such as the lack of Pokémon variety, being fixed.
  • Personality quiz is back, while not completely restricting you to the Pokémon you end up getting on the quiz. This is a very nice feature that I'm surprised wasn't implemented sooner.
  • Mixed-and-matched elements of all of the preceding main series of PMD seem to be used; R/B Rescue Team is definitely seen during much of the Serene Village arc, the attendance of the School and Expedition Society, along with the Voidlands arc, felt very Explorers of T/D/S-esque, and the overarching plot and final dungeon were very reminiscent of the GtI plot.
  • This game's main story is FAR more difficult than any other I have played. I completed the main story at Level 26, far lower than any other, and the level curve is pretty brutal. Nice for a challenge.
  • At the same time, the game grants you high-level Pokémon that you can recruit from the very beginning (if the Salamence mission wasn't any indication... *shudders*) while also forcing you to use your lower-level Pokémon often by making the powerful ones only usable every so often. This is also interesting and a great way to get the player to not simply rely on their powerhouses.
  • Immunities are indeed immunities now. Was that a thing in GtI? I don't remember.
  • Connections are a nice way of putting a spin on rescue-and-recruit missions while maintaining the whole idea of going to a mystery dungeon to complete missions. Kinda miss having rewards, because I find myself running low on money a lot...
  • Almost every single side character travels with you through one dungeon. That's pretty nice for character.
  • The gold exchange shop...whatever it's called...is a really nice feature. It grants really easy access to Reviver Seeds, which are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY in this game.
  • Alliance attacks are fun.
  • The original soundtrack of this game is very nice. Sometimes a little out-of-place, but still quite nice.
  • The remixed songs (like Great Canyon, Crystal Cave, and Amp Plains) are really nice, and the soundtracks that they brought back are some of my faves (Northern Desert, Forest of Shadows, etc.)
  • For all the difficulty that this game presents, the Looplets and Emeras are actually pretty useful. Type Bulldozer and Barrage are SO useful in tough dungeons, especially in ones where you have a type disadvantage.
  • If your partner faints in a dungeon and you have no Reviver Seeds, YOU DON'T AUTOMATICALLY LOSE! This is amazing, I love this. No longer do I have to be brought down by my partner's incompetence! Similarly to guests you bring on missions.
  • AI is surprisingly good in this game. Obviously there are some holes; some Pokémon completely forget about Abilities, but overall most Pokémon will go for ranged attacks to avoid approaching you and partners tend to have a very good grasp on when to use ranged attacks and on the type matchup.
  • In the same vein, the partners generally know how to avoid sleeping Pokémon and traps.
  • Also, traps break after a single use. This is also very nice.
  • A lot of dungeon variety.
  • The plot is...fairly intricate. Perhaps a little weaker than previous installments, but certainly engaging due to how many different aspects there are to it.
  • The final dungeon is pretty darn cool.
  • The twist ending at the end was...unexpected, to say in the least. It almost seems to push the bill that the ending will be similar to previous installments with the player returning to the human world, but this time they pull a fast one and change the roles...something I was not expecting at all.

Not as Good Things    
  • They kept how few spaces around you can see from GtI. I really wish I could see more of the map at times...
  • The plot, with all of its intricacies, is pretty linear. It doesn't allow for that much deviation.
  • Those Pokémon who invite you over to their Secret Base and spring a Monster House on you. Screw those guys. Screw you, Houndoom.
  • Pushing vs. changing spots with your allies is actually a little wonky when first getting used to it.
  • You level up EXTREMELY SLOWLY and all the Pokémon in the dungeons level up EXTREMELY RAPIDLY. The level curve really needs some adjustments because I keep getting OHKO'd by things that are super-effective and 2HKO'd by moves that are not very effective.
  • Unless you sell your Gold Bars, money is pretty tough to come by.
  • Too many dungeons just use rehashed GtI songs, especially Ragged Mountain. Ragged Mountain and its Illusory counterpart get used all over the place...
  • The addition of a Tiny Reviver Seed and a regular Elixir seemed a little unnecessary, especially considering that the regular Reviver Seed and the Max Elixir aren't any harder to come by.
  • The trailer got us all hyped for legendaries everywhere but some of them only appeared in those cutscenes that were shown during the trailers, like Lugia, Dialga, Reshiram, and Zekrom. Disappointed that they didn't get to do much of anything, even in the final battle.
  • After the novelty of the Bittercold final battle, the Dark Matter final battle just seemed like a cop-out. Still a good boss battle, mind you, but not as novel.
  • The whole idea of deception in the plot feels beat to death. Practically every single character deceives you over something or other, and it gets predictable after a while.
  • For a Grass-type starter, Yveltal's boss battle is BRUTAL! Oblivion Wing + Dark Aura boosted Dark Pulse is just painful to deal with.
  • In the post-game, Pokémon being out or "closed" gets a little irritating.
  • This game has a lot of dungeons, but few are actually memorable. Some of them use remixed versions of old songs or just flat-out use old songs, mostly from GtI, but...only the ones used in the plot are memorable.
  • The ending also felt like a bit of a cop-out in a bid to make the partner disappear instead of you. It dunks a whole bunch of exposition at the end to justify making the partner disappear as opposed to the player. And from what I can tell of the epilogue, it's just a wild goose chase trying to get the partner back. It's kind of...well, I won't say dumb, but poorly executed.

I'm getting pretty close to game completion. At last save, I had about 520/720 Pokémon. This game certainly isn't as difficult to complete as the first two installments.

Last edited by GrassPokemonFTW; December 5, 2015 at 03:39:02 PM.
Old November 27, 2015, 09:04:47 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Oh and half the moves will be able to 1-hit KO you. Oh only one step away from entering the room with the stairs? Let's put three enemies right in front of you. Also the one to befriend Houndoom is BRUTAL/ANNOYING.
You think that's bad one dungeon in this game where nearly all the pokemon know Sheer Cold.
Old November 27, 2015, 11:31:12 AM
Volcarona

This game is amazing. I believe I'm nearing the end of the main story.
Old November 27, 2015, 11:39:06 AM
Zoroark

I skipped out on GTI mainly cause I didnt have a 3ds, but I may pick this up for Christmas. Besides the graphics (I REALLY dont like the look of it personally), It sounds really fun
Old December 2, 2015, 11:34:38 PM
Kyurem

Im hoping pretty soon that i can get to mc donalds and grab a few pokemon toys they have especially a hoopa toy. Plus i was able go to a Mc D's before and grab a hoopa for my Y and sapphire games.
Old December 13, 2015, 11:11:49 AM
Administrator

I've been informed that it's wise to hoard Reviver Seeds and that the game gets really difficult towards the end of the story. Anyone else want to vouch for that? No spoilers.
Old December 13, 2015, 07:25:56 PM
Administrator

Yeah, the ending gets a bit difficult (final boss is fairly easy once you learn the attack pattern). I was a bit under leveled so hoarding reviver seeds in exchange for gold is a good thing. I finished the main story and epilogue with my partner and I being about level 28.

Last edited by Yoshi648; December 13, 2015 at 07:26:33 PM.
Old December 14, 2015, 10:14:03 PM
Kyurem

I'm nearing full completion of the Connection board. The only Pokémon I've yet to connect with are Mewtwo, Kyogre, Groudon, Deoxys, Arceus, and Genesect. I still have to collect most of the treasures and I only have 80% map completion so I've still a ways to go before full game completion. It certainly is a lot easier to complete the game than the R/B Rescue Team and Explorers of T/D/S.
Old December 20, 2015, 04:16:45 PM
Administrator

I have finally completed the main story. *reads GPFTW's spoilerific post above* I've got a few of my own thoughts to share, as well:
Spoiler Alert:    
The ending is definitely quite different than in past games, but here is my own commentary:
  • The story and dialog is quite well written, but the pacing is little bit of a mess. The school was fun, but the chthonic dungeons in the Voidlands felt a little contrived.
  • Leveling up doesn't seem to be of much use in this game. You barely gain any stats at each new level.
  • I much more prefer the Connection Orb with its guaranteed recruitments over the old system of getting lucky with someone's offer. That was particularly horrid with bosses. The bad thing is evolution serves practically no purpose, as you can only acquire one of each Pokémon and evolving would goof that up, and you can't form teams of purely Smeargle.
  • The limit of three team members instead of four is a little saddening, but you can get around it with Hoopa.
  • This game made you REALLY break out the items. I had to carry a selection of wands and Tiny Reviver seeds everywhere. Orbs and non-reviving seeds seem to be decently rare, and Kecleon's shop seems to love selling looplets.
  • Speaking of looplets, that system is a lot of fun and helps makes each adventure unique. Some emera combinations are quite broken, but it can make the forced nightmarish story dungeons more bearable.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 20, 2015 at 05:38:26 PM.
Old December 29, 2015, 10:12:27 PM
Volcarona

Best PMD ever! This game got me to sob! Am I the only one?
Old December 29, 2015, 11:08:08 PM
Administrator

Mystery Dungeon games have always gotten me to become teary-eyed. This entry is no exception.
Old December 30, 2015, 09:15:08 AM
Kyurem

Ugh, Mewtwo was a pain to get, but I'm now down to only needing to connect with Arceus. It'll probably be a while and I'm going to wait until I have a full Level 100 team before I tackle the final mission.

So far, though I've been using several different teams, I've really liked using Ludicolo, Gastrodon, and Politoed on a team, as a rain-based team. I can make the weather rain immediately upon changing a floor, and attack multiple enemies at a time with Ludicolo's Surf, which would normally damage my allies, but Gastrodon's Storm Drain makes its Special Attack go up instead, and Politoed's Water Absorb will heal it a little. And, due to Ludicolo's Swift Swim, I get to use the move twice in a round. So Ludicolo ends up dealing TONS of damage, Gastrodon gains +2 Special Attack to back up its potent Water Pulse and Earth Power, and Politoed heals ~30 HP per use of Surf. Not to mention that Ludicolo's other moves, Energy Ball and Ice Beam, hit twice as well! And to top it all off, all Water moves become more powerful, so Ludicolo's Surf, Gastrodon's Water Pulse, and Politoed's infamous Hydro Pump are all strengthened. And I don't need to worry about setting up Rain Dance either because unlike in the main series, I'm not wasting my turn setting up since most enemies spawn so far away from me. Altogether it's a pretty tough strategy that has only really failed me against weather-negating opponents.

For the record my starter (Serperior now) is at Level 68, so I've got a ways to go. But some of my faster-leveling connections (the Flabébé family comes to mind) are already Level 100. It also seems that evolving does not affect base stats, so for those of you who would rather use Pikachu instead of Raichu, for example, there's nothing hindering you outside of a more shallow movepool (or not, in the case of Stone evolutions).
Old January 25, 2016, 11:29:53 AM
Administrator

So, after a good deal of playing and recruiting a lot of monsters, I have found a good way to break the game, as have many others.
  1. After completing the story, defeat Cobalion at Pledge Hill to acquire the Water Looplet.
  2. Empty your entire inventory into the Deposit Box, except the Water Looplet. You may also withdraw items like Joy Seeds and Sitrus Berries. If bringing many rare items, a Progress Device + is also recommended.
  3. Purchase a large quantity of vitamins (Protein, Iron, Calcium, Zinc, Carbos) from Cofagrigus. You may also purchase Golden Bananas (+5 levels) and move-enhancing drinks.
  4. Take three Pokémon (two of which you wish to buff up) to Open Pass on the Water Continent.
  5. If using any move-enhancing drinks, switch to them as leader and have each of those two Pokémon use the move before throwing the drinks.
  6. Equip the Water Looplet to the extra Pokémon.
  7. Switch to that Pokémon as leader.
  8. Line all three members up (in a corridor, for instance).
  9. Throw each vitamin. Assuming the vitamin does not miss, both Pokémon will appreciate a stat boost.
  10. Use the Progress Device + before and after throwing anything really valuable (Joy Seeds, Golden Bananas, Sitrus Berries, move-enhancing drinks). Reset if one of those misses either Pokémon to get its full effect.
  11. Finish the dungeon. It's only four floors.
  12. Enjoy going around most of the game with fewer worries. Some later dungeons practically require doing this, however.
Old February 19, 2016, 12:45:38 PM
Charizard

I want to enjoy this game, but I'm pretty much stuck on a mission. I have to beat Salamence, but I can't even do that when I have Sylveon in my party. It feels as though I make no progress unless I do take a mission, but the Axew Mission is the only one I can take at the moment.

Any advice? I tried burning Salamence and trying to run away from him and that kinda worked but it didn't keep me away from him forever...
Old February 19, 2016, 02:39:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondEdge View Post
I want to enjoy this game, but I'm pretty much stuck on a mission. I have to beat Salamence, but I can't even do that when I have Sylveon in my party. It feels as though I make no progress unless I do take a mission, but the Axew Mission is the only one I can take at the moment.

Any advice? I tried burning Salamence and trying to run away from him and that kinda worked but it didn't keep me away from him forever...
Biggest thing is to stock up on Blast Seeds, they do 100 damage each and Salamence has 450HP. If you have any Pokemon that can cause a status like burn on paralyzed, it can help a bit too. Definitely a really annoying battle that early in the game, but once defeated he joins you as a powerful lvl 50 ally.
Old February 19, 2016, 10:06:18 PM
Administrator

Salamence is supposed to be really hard. Its purpose is to show you that brute force is not the solution this time around. Items are very important, particularly the new wand items. I suggest looking through what wands you've collected so far and trying them out. (I don't suggest Stayaway Wands for that particular mission, however.) Wands will be your bread and butter of later dungeons.

Another tip is to explore dungeons fully, even if there's nothing further on your mission list. You'll acquire more items and possibly gain a few extra levels. Try to hoard items when possible, and use them otherwise. Oran Berries temporarily boost your HP in addition to healing, and Elixirs are always handy. Vitamins in particular are broken. Don't sell anything except Fresh Apples, and when you do that, buy the regular ones from Kecleon.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; February 19, 2016 at 10:07:01 PM.