Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 8, 2011, 04:53:47 PM
Kyurem

Default Sunday - First Day of the Week and a Weekend?

Well don't you think it is a bit weird Sunday is the first day of the week but it is consider the weekend.
Old October 8, 2011, 04:57:17 PM
Shaymin

I thought Monday was the start of the week... Oh well!
Old October 8, 2011, 05:00:40 PM
Kyurem

Well on the calender the week begins with Sunday and there are people who think Sunday is the first day of the week but I think Monday should be.
Old October 8, 2011, 05:05:55 PM
Administrator

I'd like to point out that in some cultures, notably Latin American ones, Monday is the first day of the week.
Old October 8, 2011, 05:09:11 PM
Kyurem

I really meant for America but I am not sure which other countries do the same thing.
Old October 8, 2011, 05:29:56 PM

This ruler has two ends. 0-inches and 12-inches are the ends.

This week has two ends. Sunday and Saturday are the ends.

End does not necessarily mean "last". It also means extremity, whether it be at the very beginning or the very last, it is an "end".
Old October 8, 2011, 05:36:16 PM
Landorus

I agree with Cat and PRS. In Germany, Sunday is the last day of the week, so it is the end of the week there, Also, if there are two ends on a stick, there are two ends of a week. If you use a flexible mind, it makes sense.
Old October 8, 2011, 05:49:52 PM
Landorus

Monday has always been the end of a week for me. I don't get why people think that Sunday is the begining of the week in my perspectives.
Old October 8, 2011, 10:33:10 PM
Kyurem

I had always grew up thinking Monday was the beginning of the week with Sunday being the end.
But that's just how I was told it was.
Old October 9, 2011, 05:57:47 AM
Rayquaza

I am not an expert in this topic, but hasn't Sunday become the weekend because Sunday is considered the holy day for Christians. If I am not mistaken, didn't they continue following the same tradition in accepting Sunday as the last day. I might be wrong for being in a different culture, but I always thought of it in this way.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:05:35 PM
Regigigas

Spirit, as a Christian myself, I think we even disagree on this subject!

What you're referring to, we call the Sabbath day. Thing is, though, I've heard it claimed to be both Saturday and Sunday. The Sabbath day is, in fact, not even known as to whether it's the first day of the week or the last! We don't really care too much about the technical details, though.

Here's the thing: The Sabbath was very important in the time of the Old Testament, but it's not quite the same today, and here's why (story time yayz?)-- The Pharisees were a group of people between the Old and New testaments that slaved over making sure everything was done correctly and for God's glory, which if you read the Bible, you know that it was done quite hypocritically. There's a funny little rule my pastor told me they once kept:

You must not spit on the ground on the Sabbath. I'm dead serious.

The Pharisees believed that if you did, the saliva might just accidentally germinate a seed, therefore rendering you guilty of having worked on the Sabbath by farming. /faceboneclub/

When Jesus arrived, he changed it around. The commandment is "Honor the Sabbath and keep it Holy", although that does not involve doing absolutely nothing but worship and stuff like that. Jesus proved that what's important is that you keep the Lord in mind on the Sabbath in all that you do, which, in theological theory, is not really different from every other day of the week to Christians.

In the end, though, nobody really knows for certain whether the "Sabbath" is present-day Saturday or Sunday, or even if it's supposed to be at the beginning or the end of the week. Moreover, though, we don't really care.

All that's important is that I was born on a Saturday, therefore Sunday is the second day of the week, because Saturday was the beginning of my life, which is all that matters. XD

Okay, sorry about that biblical scholarly journal (I'm not even that knowledgeable on the Bible, really). I just wanted to clear up what the Christians think about this topic, if there even is any sort of consensus regarding it.
Old November 6, 2011, 12:50:32 PM
Servine

I always thought Monday was.
Old November 12, 2011, 01:33:24 PM
Giratina

I had always considered Sunday just there. Saturday seemed to be the last day of the week for me while Monday was always the start of the week.

I think this is because Saturday is the day I can relax and sleep in a little and not have to worry about the next day, where Friday is a school day and Sunday I have to worry about Monday.
Old December 10, 2011, 03:01:05 PM
Pikachu

I'd like to think that Sunday comes first, as some horizontal calendars start their week lines off with Sunday instead of Monday. Even if it is the weekend.

Also, consider the days' etymologies:
Sunday - sun.
Monday - moon.