Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Announcements

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 2, 2009, 05:17:07 PM
Administrator

Talking VERY IMPORTANT regarding forum and chatroom

As you may or may not know, Floatzel.Net and the Victory Road forum are hosted on what is known as a shared platform, where many customers share the same server and IP address. According to the host, this site (as well as my dad's sites) has been exceeding the resource limit. After investigating, I found that the chatroom and adoptables are the two most popular scripts (by number of file accesses), followed by the forum files. In the coming few days, the site may be upgraded to a server designed for resource-intensive sites (with less customers) or to virtual private server. A VPS is a server that is divided into multiple virtual servers, intended for customers who have high-trafficked sites. (Within a couple years, I'll probably have to use a dedicated server, which is $200 a month. )

What does this mean for you? First and foremost, I've increased the chatroom refresh delays from 5 to 10 seconds. If it may seem slower, that's because it is. Secondly, I'd like people to reduce their usage of the chatroom, at least until I announce that it's not a problem anymore. If there are only two or three of you in the chat, consider talking through the forum or an external service. Also, if you aren't saying anything or you are leaving for anything longer than 5 minutes, please close the chat window. Each refresh uses valuable resources and as mentioned above, I currently don't have a whole lot of those. Failure to comply with this will result in shutdown of the chatroom. For now, you may continue using the forum like normal.

As for the forum itself, I will be upgrading from phpBB to vBulletin in the near future. The exact date of this upgrade cannot be confirmed, but it will be soon. I will attempt to use included converters to retain all members and posts from the board. This will cause the forum to go offline for at minimum a few hours, possibly up to a few days. The main reason is to confirm that the move was successful. There will be another notice on the board when this is about to happen.

TL;DR version: Please minimize chatroom usage as it is a resource hog. The forum will be upgraded to vBulletin in the future. Please excuse any downtime this weekend.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 30, 2014 at 04:44:41 PM.
Old December 2, 2009, 06:29:25 PM
Regigigas

Default Re: VERY IMPORTANT regarding forum and chatroom

The fact that your site has been hosted on a shared platform without issue until now boggles the mind. Does access to other hosted files, like the music section, have much of an impact on your resource allotment? I've been visiting the R/S/E Orchestral Soundtrack a bit much recently.
Old December 2, 2009, 06:46:52 PM
Administrator

Bandwidth skyrocketed (but it's still significantly under the limit), but that's not why the host is giving a warning. It's because of heavy PHP script usage.
Old December 3, 2009, 12:45:12 PM
Giratina

I was wondering why we can't post attachments any more. Or why I can't post them on a lot of sites.
I think I know a couple of people who over-do the chatroom - Me and OMGITSJAD. We don't even say anything relevant to anything. I'll stop now though.
Old December 3, 2009, 01:43:17 PM
Administrator

When I get on the new hosting plan, I'll re-open the chatroom. It will remain closed until then. Attachments should work; I haven't disabled them.
Old December 3, 2009, 01:48:07 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon
Attachments should work; I haven't disabled them.
Strange, I couldn't a while ago (And don't say it's 'cause I was on the wrong board - I couldn't attach on the Pokénews board)