Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Announcements

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 28, 2012, 03:32:33 AM
Rayquaza

Default Victory Road Gym League: Rising from the Dead

It has been months since this forums' Gym League went on a hiatus. With the release of Pokémon Black 2 & White 2, we can finally announce that this dormant project shall be revived soon.

Work on this project has started, and we can promise that the Gym League will not continue as we left it last year, but will carry improvements that are valuable to anyone interested in the battles of Pokémon!

What should you expect?
  • First of all, everyone will be having an equal chance of getting chosen as a gym leader. There will be new gyms starting from scratch.
  • Those who are not competitive battlers will be having their chance of becoming a gym leader too, as we will be focusing on who is capable of running an entertaining gym and stay active in it, not who is strong competitively.
  • Events that carry different styles of battles every once in a while.
  • Special rewards for the first bunch of people who will defeat all the 8 gyms.

What is expected from you, right now?
  • Stay active. The preparations will not wait till the release of the games worldwide, but will be starting from now, so you might miss your chance if you leave.
  • Promote the Gym League as much as possible. If you have friends who are Pokémon fans, then ask them to join the forums and participate in this league. After all, the more participants there are, the livelier and better the league will be.

This is only a teaser trailer, so more details will be provided soon. In the mean time, tell us what you think of the rebirth of this project, and post anything you would like to see happening within this league. If we find it reasonable enough, we might include it too!
Old June 28, 2012, 07:03:00 AM
Charizard

How will these battles be conducted? Hopefully not over wifi on the games, because for some reason my new router prevents me from having a Nintendo WFC connection. If need be I could recreate my team as accurately as possible in Pokémon (DISALLOWED) if you'd accept any entries that way.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:29:34 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Swampert View Post
How will these battles be conducted? Hopefully not over wifi on the games, because for some reason my new router prevents me from having a Nintendo WFC connection. If need be I could recreate my team as accurately as possible in Pokémon (DISALLOWED) if you'd accept any entries that way.
When the Gym League was still up, they usually let people do PO. But that was decided by the Gym Leader him/herself. So if you do prehaps make it as a gym leader then you will probably get to decide the style of battling.

EDIT: I have been waiting for this... But the only confusing part is that you want me to advertise it before it is open? Well I mean it still seems far away. But if that is what it takes... Signature here I come.

Last edited by teamplasma; June 28, 2012 at 07:31:00 AM.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:46:28 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplasma View Post
When the Gym League was still up, they usually let people do PO. But that was decided by the Gym Leader him/herself. So if you do prehaps make it as a gym leader then you will probably get to decide the style of battling.

EDIT: I have been waiting for this... But the only confusing part is that you want me to advertise it before it is open? Well I mean it still seems far away. But if that is what it takes... Signature here I come.
So I might only be able to get a few badges?

What levels should the Pokemon be? What are the restrictions?
Old June 28, 2012, 07:59:12 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Swampert View Post
So I might only be able to get a few badges?

What levels should the Pokemon be? What are the restrictions?
Lol, it is still in making I assume. But I bet that will be told soon enough. Also along the lines of the last League we had, you could have any level. Most people had 100s though. That is why PO was handy in it. That and you didn't have to do friend codes.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:22:58 AM
Giratina

Yes, it's being re-opened! Can't wait! This time I might try to actually be a gym leader. Hmm...that sounds like it could be fun.
If it's not PO, and we have to use BW or BW2, does that mean Flat Battles or Lvl 100 No Restrictions with Manual Clauses?
Old June 28, 2012, 11:13:47 AM
Rayquaza

I am not giving any details now, but we are trying to provide a chance of battling to as many people as possible. Forget about the previous league and just anticipate what we are bringing to you.

Oh, and we would appreciate if you promote even outside the forums, among friends of yours who are Pokéfans.
Old June 28, 2012, 11:36:39 AM
Regigigas

Given that the details you're all enquiring about are still under development, as Teamplasma pointed out, there's no guarantee your questions will be answered here for the time being. The best thing to do at the present is wait for further updates from Spirit, and given that it is crucial said updates be seen by users when this thread is viewed, please try to avoid using this thread for conversations on the topic unless in response to an update.

Last edited by AuraKshatriya; June 28, 2012 at 11:44:08 AM.
Old June 28, 2012, 11:43:02 AM
Rayquaza

It is true that details won't be given, but it is all right to write what you would like to see in this league. I can't guarantee that everthing you ask will be there, but if it is a good idea, then we might include it.

Last edited by The Spirit of Time; June 28, 2012 at 12:12:01 PM.
Old June 28, 2012, 11:49:37 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
It is true that details won't be given, but it is all right to write what you would like to see in this league. I can't guarantee that everyone you ask will be there, but if it is a good idea, then we might include it.
I know that it's been said that the platform to be used will be decided by the Gym Leaders, but it'd be nice to see PO support for all gyms. After all, if the person is selected to be the Gym Leaders, shouldn't they be expected to go the extra mile to fufil their duties?
Old June 28, 2012, 01:21:55 PM
Administrator

Pokémon (DISALLOWED) is going to remain banned from the VRGL. This is a firm decision, not open for debate.
Old June 28, 2012, 03:52:45 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Pokémon (DISALLOWED) is going to remain banned from the VRGL. This is a firm decision, not open for debate.
*Flips desk*

Well, I'm outta here. See ya.
Old June 28, 2012, 04:13:11 PM
Giratina

Lol, yes. You weren't here when we talked about this Blood, but it was established before when we talked about having this Hiatus. We established that this new league shall be a Wi-FI thing because Cat absolutely does not like PO! Also, PO doesn't show any skill in training and hard work for your pokemon. Besides, PO is supposed to be a simulator. So I am perfectly fine and accept this.

Anyways, I am very excited!!! Oh I am gonna try so hard to be a gym leader xD I have been soooooooo eager for this to open. I remember I was sooo waiting for this, dont know if you other people remember me spazzing in the chat about it WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VRGL PROJECT HAS BEEN REBORN! (soon.)

Hold on wait.. But the leader must have some competitive or any battling skill, right? Because it would just be too easy if a challenger challenged an unexperienced trainer..
Old June 28, 2012, 04:19:25 PM
Kyurem

I'm ready to take a shot at my old status as Bug Leader again. I'm ready as I'll ever be.
Old June 28, 2012, 04:22:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Hold on wait.. But the leader must have some competitive or any battling skill, right? Because it would just be too easy if a challenger challenged an unexperienced trainer..
Well, like Spirit said, we're going to keep things under wraps for a little while longer while we continue to discuss what the best format is for this. We want to try to make something enjoyable and fun for as many people as possible while not being too taxing on the players by requiring a bunch of Lv. 100s, but not being cheap like Pokémon (DISALLOWED).
Old June 28, 2012, 04:27:31 PM
Giratina

Soo..I CAN HAVE A 6 vs 6 LV. 1 GYM?!?!?! Lol that'd be exciting, and no one else can copy that idea for a gym if thats acceptable, CALL IT.
Old June 28, 2012, 04:46:39 PM
Administrator

As I mentioned moments ago in VRIM, I don't want to spread rumors.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:03:54 PM
Haxorus

Ok, I won't say much and keep it all inside.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:59:47 PM
Giratina

Here's what you should expect from the reborn VRGL:
Wait? You're expecting something? Get any sort of ideas that you may be thinking of for the new VRGL and get them out of your head. You'll just have to wait to see what the new VRGL will be like.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:22:52 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Here's what you should expect from the reborn VRGL:
Wait? You're expecting something? Get any sort of ideas that you may be thinking of for the new VRGL and get them out of your head. You'll just have to wait to see what the new VRGL will be like.
I'm expecting battling. Should I throw that out of my head, too? *shot*
I think anyone could safely assume that and type related teams. It's a staple of the words "Pokémon Gym"
Old June 28, 2012, 08:44:44 PM
Kyurem

Im sure if this isn't on topic but what about pokemon that have there hidden abilitys on B/W2, can they be used in battles cause i see that ditto has finaly got its hidden ability

Last edited by kakashidragon; June 28, 2012 at 08:51:35 PM.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:58:04 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
Im sure if this isn't on topic but what about pokemon that have there hidden abilitys on B/W2, can they be used in battles cause i see that ditto has finaly got its hidden ability
Well, the Hidden Ability is the Pokémon's Dream World ability, so I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed in battles (unless it's Blaziken).
Old June 28, 2012, 09:11:33 PM
Giratina

If it was released, whether in the actual game or through Dream World, it should be good.
Old June 28, 2012, 09:44:33 PM
Kyurem

Im just trying to figure out if B/W2's pokemon that get hidden abilitys can be used in the B/W1's metagame right now, or do we have to wait to get these games in english. I just figured there released now and we should be able to use them in B/W1.
Old June 28, 2012, 11:20:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
Im just trying to figure out if B/W2's pokemon that get hidden abilitys can be used in the B/W1's metagame right now, or do we have to wait to get these games in english. I just figured there released now and we should be able to use them in B/W1.
The way you are asking that question almost implies that you are hacking your Pokémon. Are you?

Of course you can use the BW2 hidden abilities if you legitimately obtain them from a Japanese game.
Old June 29, 2012, 12:03:36 AM
Rayquaza

Guys, questions about what Pokémon to be used and other rules will be answered once we are done with guide. We are not going to launch a full project without guidelines, are we?

And don't think things will wait till October. No, we are working on getting most of the things done now in summer.

Oh, and just a slight announcement: The GL Staff are currently me and AuraKshatriya.
Old June 29, 2012, 05:37:17 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Oh, and just a slight announcement: The GL Staff are currently me and AuraKshatriya.
Does that mean you guys are running/moderating Gym battles or something else?
Old June 29, 2012, 05:50:22 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pichu62 View Post
It essentially means they make any decisions when it comes to VRGL rule changes and they ultimately decide the gym leaders.
Old June 29, 2012, 07:40:19 AM
Shaymin

It did sound (sorta like what SUper Pichu said) that the staff would run it. But I do see not.
Old June 29, 2012, 08:05:58 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
I am not really sure about what you mean by "moderating gym battles," but as Quad says, we will be the ones running the whole league, in terms of creating the rules and battling system, choosing the gym leaders, organising the league and solving any disputes. This also means that if you have any issues with the league, you would contact me and Aura, instead of creating a thread or contacting another staff who is not responsible for the league.
Old June 29, 2012, 09:17:06 AM
Giratina

Quote:
This also means that if you have any issues with the league, you would contact me and Aura, instead of creating a thread or contacting another staff who is not responsible for the league.
Oh I thought we were just gonna have a VRGL feedback thread
Old June 29, 2012, 09:17:49 AM
Giratina

Well, I guess you could think of it like this. In the games, there are the 8 Gym Leaders, and then there's the unseen Pokémon League Federation. The first gym leader always has about 2 or 3 Pokémon, and at low levels, while the 8th has like 4 or 5 at higher levels. The Federation, which would be Aura and Spirit, regulate the gyms. Set rules and guidelines and changing things up when necessary and stuff.
Old June 29, 2012, 09:21:58 AM
Giratina

Oh.. so its gonna be like the in-game gyms with low levels and stuff? Or is that just a rumor started by turt?
Old June 29, 2012, 09:23:06 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Well, I guess you could think of it like this. In the games, there are the 8 Gym Leaders, and then there's the unseen Pokémon League Federation. The first gym leader always has about 2 or 3 Pokémon, and at low levels, while the 8th has like 4 or 5 at higher levels. The Federation, which would be Aura and Spirit, regulate the gyms. Set rules and guidelines and changing things up when necessary and stuff.
So are you saying that they are going to make them like the game?
Like this one should be the easiest and you should battle first, the second is a little harder... Like in every game?
Old June 29, 2012, 09:37:21 AM
Giratina

No no no, they'll probably be all the same levels, I'm just saying, Spirit and Aura will be regulating the gym leaders and the league itself as if it was the game.
Old June 29, 2012, 09:38:53 AM
Giratina

Quote:
No no no, they'll probably be all the same levels, I'm just saying, Spirit and Aura will be regulating the gym leaders and the league itself as if it was the game.
oh. That makes a lot more sense.
Old June 29, 2012, 10:17:10 AM
Rayquaza

You guys are touching some sensitive topics here and there, but still can't grasp it completely. I am not saying you guys are wrong in what you are expecting, but you are not totally right as well. Just keep guessing!
Old June 29, 2012, 11:12:15 AM
Haxorus

If for example I am picked, will I be able to create my own gym badge? Or does somebody else create them?
Old June 29, 2012, 11:47:34 AM
Charizard

I'm excited!!! Can't wait! I finally got some time now to be more active on this!
Old June 29, 2012, 12:14:23 PM
Rayquaza

Quote:
If for example I am picked, will I be able to create my own gym badge? Or does somebody else create them?
You will have the privilege of providing a design of your badge, but a staff of ours will accustom it to meet the requirements in terms of dimensions and basic structure.
Old June 29, 2012, 09:21:14 PM
Giratina

Quote:
You will have the privilege of providing a design of your badge, but a staff of ours will accustom it to meet the requirements in terms of dimensions and basic structure.
Ahhh like Nin did before? I think I remember him doing that..
Old June 30, 2012, 06:39:18 PM

Ahh, I was waiting for this day to come, I can't wait to try out to be a Psychic gym leader. One thing that I did with my old gym in order to keep it active was to give extra challenges. It's just a suggestion, but maybe gym leaders will want to have extra challenges in order to keep their gym active. Such challenges could involve beating the leader 3, 5, or 10 times; with a special prize given to the challenger for completing each challenge. ^^
Old July 4, 2012, 05:00:01 AM
Rayquaza

Two new threads have been added in the Gym League. Was that soon enough, as we promised?

Last edited by The Spirit of Time; July 4, 2012 at 05:00:08 AM.
Old July 4, 2012, 08:33:39 AM
Celebi

This is exciting! I'm glad to see that the gyms are coming back to VR! I don't know if I'll join because I have become horrible at competitive battling but I sure will challenge it!
Old July 4, 2012, 11:44:37 AM
Giratina

I have given the first feedback!
Old July 6, 2012, 07:28:58 AM
Kyurem

I may decided to challenge the league but I am not going to apply for a Gym Leader spot, since I don't got WiFi. Hey, I am glad the league is back, good luck to all those who are applying to become a gym leader.

Last edited by Aquablast; July 6, 2012 at 07:29:32 AM.
Old July 6, 2012, 08:35:50 PM
Kyurem

I might want to consider to be either a challenger or a leader. If I were a leader, then I might want to say that I'm usually too lazy to specialize, but dragons might work, too
Old July 6, 2012, 10:22:31 PM
Giratina

Even if I don't make it as a leader, I can't wait till it's up. I'm a tad bit more confident in my battling skills now, so I'd love to take EVERYONE on. Whether it's with my skillful in-game team or my Grass/Fire team of death!
All in all, I'd like to see how it turns out.
Old July 6, 2012, 10:38:23 PM
Kyurem

You know i could be a good leader, back in pokezam times i was the psychic gym leader and i think only nytz was the only chanagller i had back then.
Old July 11, 2012, 09:43:54 AM
Haxorus

Hmm
I really would like to be a gym leader. I just don't know what type I'd be yet...
Old July 11, 2012, 09:51:29 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Even if I don't make it as a leader, I can't wait till it's up. I'm a tad bit more confident in my battling skills now, so I'd love to take EVERYONE on. Whether it's with my skillful in-game team or my Grass/Fire team of death!
All in all, I'd like to see how it turns out.
Grass and Fire. I hear those two types in the same sentence and I think I have an idea of what kind of team your gonna use I think I can expect to see... Ninetales, Venasaur and 4 other fillers. Am I right? FFFFUUUUU DROUGHT >:0
Old July 11, 2012, 10:51:23 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Grass and Fire. I hear those two types in the same sentence and I think I have an idea of what kind of team your gonna use I think I can expect to see... Ninetales, Venasaur and 4 other fillers. Am I right? FFFFUUUUU DROUGHT >:0
Oh you wish. But I never use the Dream World, so I'm out of a Ninetales unless someone wants to be a generous trader. And by Grass/Fire I meant grass OR fire, but now I think I'm just gonna stick with grass so I can stay Turtwiggy.
Old July 11, 2012, 10:59:59 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Oh you wish. But I never use the Dream World, so I'm out of a Ninetales unless someone wants to be a generous trader. And by Grass/Fire I meant grass OR fire, but now I think I'm just gonna stick with grass so I can stay Turtwiggy.
Oh. BE MORE SPECIFIC NEXT TIME >:0 lol jk, but yeah I figure you would try for grass..
Old July 11, 2012, 11:26:33 AM
Rayquaza

If you guys are that excited to become gym leaders, you better start preparing yourselves. Until then, spread this information among the members who are interested, or any of your real life friends who have interest in Pokémon.
Old July 11, 2012, 11:53:58 AM
Giratina

Already peppering now. Got my list ready of who to breed, catch, and EV train. I've had this team ready for a while, though. I like to make type teams for everything.
Old July 11, 2012, 11:56:59 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Already peppering now. Got my list ready of who to breed, catch, and EV train. I've had this team ready for a while, though. I like to make type teams for everything.
Peppering? Why are you putting pepper on your Pokémon games? That can't be a healthy thing to do.

Also, I should probably start preparing my team for the Gym League (I also plan to try out, but info on what team I wish to be will stay on a need-to-know basis).
Old July 11, 2012, 12:02:53 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Peppering? Why are you putting pepper on your Pokémon games? That can't be a healthy thing to do.

Also, I should probably start preparing my team for the Gym League (I also plan to try out, but info on what team I wish to be will stay on a need-to-know basis).
YES I AM PEPPERING THEM. My Pokémon must be properly peppered as to be full of spice and hot tango as they battle!
But since you have to be the Boring Billy that you are, yes, I am preparing my team so that I won't have a bunch of purely Audino trained Grass types and no strategies. Actually trying this out seems fun.
Old July 11, 2012, 12:04:27 PM
Haxorus

Do we have to use a certain type of Pokemon? Like, could someone have a Starter Gym or an Eeveelution gym?
Old July 11, 2012, 12:38:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueumbreon View Post
Do we have to use a certain type of Pokemon? Like, could someone have a Starter Gym or an Eeveelution gym?
I don't think there are plans to have those kinds of gyms open. It's not a bad idea, but I think the Gym League is going to follow the traditional style of gyms; being you are a gym leader assigned to 1 type of Pokemon to use in battles.
Old July 11, 2012, 12:46:18 PM
Shaymin

And I would recommend that your questions and such go to the discussion thread. Because like it was aid before, this is mainly for announcing thing.
Old July 11, 2012, 12:46:26 PM
Charizard

If the gym league reopens, I might become more active in these forums ;D

who knows? I might set up a team and apply as a Gym Leader?
Old July 11, 2012, 12:51:25 PM
Administrator

I'm going to have to agree with teamplasma here. If you wish to continue discussing the league, please use this link:
http://victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=10217

I must also re-interate that the only things confirmed are the things stated by staff members. We're certainly open to new ideas on interesting ways to utilize Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.