Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 22, 2010, 06:07:01 PM
Charizard

Default Is Global Warming Real?

This came up in my Biology class recently. By now, everyone should be familiar with the term "global warming." The students in my Biology class had a plethora of different opinions regarding this subject. Is global warming a real and serious problem, or is it just false propaganda so people like Al Gore can make money?

It's my belief that global warming is real. Quite simply, I believe humans causing massive emissions of greenhouse gases has to effect the world in some way.

Discuss.
Old May 22, 2010, 06:15:11 PM
Shaymin

I think it's real, it's just not gonna destroy the world as quick as they say. Considering all the effort we've done to stop it, I doubt it'll be in the next century or two.

Oh yeah and this winter it snowed in 49/50 states. SUCK ON THAT, AL GORE. :X

Last edited by OMGITSJAD; May 22, 2010 at 06:26:52 PM.
Old May 22, 2010, 06:19:50 PM
Rayquaza

The odds that humans can have such an impact is really high and in the past the planet has gone under golbal temprature changes.
Old May 22, 2010, 07:17:14 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post

Oh yeah and this winter it snowed in 49/50 states. SUCK ON THAT, AL GORE. :X
ARGH!!!! WEATHER AND CLIMATE ARE DIFFERENT THINGS!!!! That point is completely invalid and it outrages me that people throw that out there to "disprove" global warming!!!

I believe it is real, but is only being sped up by man, not completely caused my people.
Old May 22, 2010, 08:07:18 PM
Giratina

I don't think Global Warming is real, it's just the fact that scientists freak out over everything. They obviously don't realize that the earth's climate changes over time. It snowed 3 times this year, in Houston, Texas. That doesn't seem like global warming, now does it?

JAD, which state was snow-less?
Old May 22, 2010, 09:33:39 PM
Keldeo

Is global warming real? Yes it is.
Is the ozone layer slowly being wreck? Certainly so.
Do I care? I do not.

Last edited by Sunny; May 22, 2010 at 09:33:54 PM.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:06:38 PM
Shaymin

Off-topic
Paper Mario, hmm? =D
and I think it was Hawaii, SK
Old May 22, 2010, 10:20:29 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
Off-topic
Paper Mario, hmm? =D
Is that the wrong game? Yes it is.
Shall I enlighten you? Indeed I shall. =w=

This dood was from Mario and lugi rpg 3 bowsers inside storys~! =p
Hes some psychic with a weird way of talking.

Did he ask questions just to answer them himself? Yes he did.

Wow this if off topic. D:
Old May 23, 2010, 11:06:03 AM
Regigigas

I hardly care too Sunny. But I know one thing's for sure. If we continue storing heat and gas in the atmosphere, kill more trees, pollute the air, we're gonna end up like Venus. Earth's evil twin.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:10:02 AM
Regigigas

I think it's real.I sometimes believe 2012...
Old May 23, 2010, 11:12:56 AM
Regigigas

Oh not this 2012 thing again.
Well, I know its real and I've got proof. Sun is a medium sized star, and therefore, when it becomes a red giant it gradually gets bigger and bigger due to its life cycle and aging. The sun is half way through its life cycle (5 billion years approximately) so through that aging its starting to get bigger and become a giant. And when that happens the giant will basically suck up mercury, venus, and earth (I doubt reaching mars) and melt everything in its path. BUT the sun will not explode and become a black hole.
Old May 23, 2010, 03:01:24 PM
Shaymin

Here's the thing about global warming.

Are greenhouse gasses taking effect in the atmosphere and trapping heat? Yes. Are the polar ice caps melting? Yes. Will this cause any longterm damage to the Earth? No. Why?

As ice melts, water expands and then retracts back into the shape it first took place in. So when the ice melts, it'll form back into ice. So, worldwide flooding will not occur. Therefore, global warming is irrelevant.

Oh, and other man-made pollution won't cause any lasting damage for a few centuries, if not thousands of years.
Old May 23, 2010, 03:05:04 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post

Are greenhouse gasses taking effect in the atmosphere and trapping heat? Yes. Are the polar ice caps melting? Yes. Will this cause any longterm damage to the Earth? No. Why?

As ice melts, water expands and then retracts back into the shape it first took place in. So when the ice melts, it'll form back into ice. So, worldwide flooding will not occur. Therefore, global warming is irrelevant.

Oh, and other man-made pollution won't cause any lasting damage for a few centuries, if not thousands of years.
That makes sense there.:3 *claps*
See there's nothing to worry about, Global Warming isn't as believable as we thought it would be.:3

Last edited by LoPun; May 23, 2010 at 03:05:41 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 04:08:06 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post

I don't get it. You're saying that when ice melts it freezes again? Your logic doesn't make sense to me. If I take an ice cube out of my freezer and it melts it isn't going to become ice again unless I put it back. If the trend of increasing temperatures (supposedly caused by global warming or natural causes) continues, then the water won't have an opportunity to refreeze.
Old May 23, 2010, 05:32:35 PM
Volcarona

Well I believe it won't just stop raining. And when it rains, either the water immediately evaporates afterwards, takes a few days to, or it freezes. After the ice melts and turns back into a liquid, it will evaporate and go back into the sky thus making more rain clouds. So then it will rain again and the same old circle will continue over years. I hope that was the idea about freezing and such that Lite was trying to make. If not, then I completely failed. ;P
Old May 23, 2010, 05:53:48 PM
Shaymin

I see what Lite means by the water cycle still going, but I also see Amir's side too. If global warming does take effect, then the temperatures will eventually go above freezing point, so the water won't melt & turn into ice again. Therein lies the trouble.
Oh well...it's not like it'll happen in my or my great great grandkids' lifetime so i'm fine. xP

Last edited by OMGITSJAD; May 23, 2010 at 05:54:23 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:20:30 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir View Post
I don't get it. You're saying that when ice melts it freezes again? Your logic doesn't make sense to me. If I take an ice cube out of my freezer and it melts it isn't going to become ice again unless I put it back. If the trend of increasing temperatures (supposedly caused by global warming or natural causes) continues, then the water won't have an opportunity to refreeze.
It won't freeze again, but the water molecules will expand and flow (like they would when melting ice is placed on a solid surface), then they will retract and pool together again (like a puddle after it rains). That, combined with the temperatures at the poles would mean that the water will have an opportunity to freeze over again.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:34:19 AM
Charizard

^But if the temperatures at the poles get too high, they would not be able to freeze again. I think global warming is a serious issue, because educated scientists have contributed much research to it and believe in it.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:06:37 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
^But if the temperatures at the poles get too high, they would not be able to freeze again. I think global warming is a serious issue, because educated scientists have contributed much research to it and believe in it.
Global warming itself is a serious issue, but the effects theorized aren't actually real, nor are they threatening to mankind. And manmade gasses in the atmosphere won't actually have an impact in our lifetimes.
Old May 24, 2010, 01:49:58 PM
Charizard

They will be threatening to humankind in the future though. Which is why we should act now, so our great great great great great great grandchildren will have better lives.
Old May 24, 2010, 05:34:03 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
They will be threatening to humankind in the future though. Which is why we should act now, so our great great great great great great grandchildren will have better lives.
Assuming every "great" and "grand" is 50 years, that means that you want to act now to prevent a crisis from occuring 350 years from now, which, by then, we'll probably have developed a proposed technology that traps carbon emissions and puts them underground for use as fuels.
Old May 24, 2010, 07:48:54 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
It's my belief that global warming is real.
I have no problem with you believing what you believe. I, for one, disbelieve in global warming.
Old July 24, 2010, 09:07:59 AM
Charizard

To say that it exists to the extreme that some environmentalist wackos think it does is bad and to say that it doesn't exist entirely is also not the way I'd think.

Does this make sense?

I'll drive a regular car over an SUV, I'll use more environmentally friendly products (if they'll save me money in the long run), so on and so forth.
Old July 24, 2010, 11:12:46 AM
Landorus

Global warming IS happening. It's just whether what's causing it that's the question. My theory is cattle. Cows emit more methane gas than any other living organism on the planet. But wait, to save the Polar bears, we have to wipe out cows? I mean, come on. Cows Produce Milk, Meat, leather, bones, Fertilizer, and even Glue. What have Polar bears ever done for us? Sure, they're cool to look at, but so are cows!
Old July 25, 2010, 01:21:37 PM
Keldeo

yeah the heat is rising, but i do not think it about global warming, in fact every other 30/40 years it gets hot, other 30/40 it gets cold, i think the climax of the heat will be at 2011, it should be going down afterwards

Last edited by JC; July 25, 2010 at 01:22:22 PM.
Old July 25, 2010, 01:35:19 PM
Landorus

Al Gore: My friends, this global warming problem is more serious than you think. Look at this data. On January 1st, 2009, the temperature was 24 degrees Fahrenheit in the District of Columbia. Now look at this. Six months later, the surface temperature in DC has skyrocketed to 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this a coincidence? I think not.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:39:00 PM
Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idno58 View Post
Al Gore: My friends, this global warming problem is more serious than you think. Look at this data. On January 1st, 2009, the temperature was 24 degrees Fahrenheit in the District of Columbia. Now look at this. Six months later, the surface temperature in DC has skyrocketed to 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this a coincidence? I think not.
Oh, no! Al Gore has proven that seasons are real! What must we do? That agrees with our 7,000 years of human finding!

On the issues of global warming, however... Al Gore aside, I honestly believe in global warming as a pattern the Planet Earth takes. Over the period of time we can't begin to comprehend, the Earth itself sometimes cools off and sometimes heats up. (See: Ice Age.) As we are coming out of an ice age, we can of course expect to see some ice caps melting.

Are we contributing to it? That's anyone's guess. As for me, if it'll happen naturally, why bother trying to stop nature from taking its course? If we're speeding it up, so be it. Nature will bring itself back to equilibrium, as it did after many other environmental disasters. (Read: Methane Gas Explosions, Meteor that Killed the Dinosaurs, Great Extinction of Sea Animals After A Large Period of Drought, etc.)
Old July 27, 2010, 09:24:49 AM
Kyurem

Uh...maybe? Probably? Yes? Yeah, yes.

Last edited by GrassPokemonFTW; July 27, 2010 at 09:25:32 AM. Reason: YES.
Old July 29, 2010, 04:56:39 AM
Charizard

yes I think it is because it feels like the temperatures are rising