Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 26, 2010, 04:36:59 PM
Pikachu

Default Pokemon Anime vs Manga

~Not sure if this has been done before but I'm new here so I will post it.

Well to start of I would like to say that my love for Pokemon came from watching the anime. To tell the truth I haven't read a single chapter of the Pokemon Manga though many ppl seem to like it alot.

I know right now the Anime is a bit cruddy due to some of these simple reasons:
1. Team Rocket keeps blasting off and off again. They need a new role in the anime. Getting annoying.
2. For the English version the voice actors keep changing.
3. Ash has yet to become master (then again Rome wasn't built in a day)
4. Story never gets any darker or deeper ( I want some mild deaths or something)
5. Misty is not there
6. Best Wishes sucks in my opinion and mostly all the 5th generation pokemon so far
7. there are more but I want ur guys opinion

~Now talking about the Manga, from what I know it's very different to the anime. Lance and the elite 4 are evil. Red is better than Ash. That's about it. I really don't understand the manga info from wikipedia - to confusing. Even if the creator of Pokemon said that the manga most resembles what he thought of Pokemon, I think the Anime is still better if they adjusted some things and brought ppl from the manga into the anime.

Last edited by Shadow; September 7, 2010 at 08:15:00 AM.
Old August 26, 2010, 05:30:04 PM
Regigigas

OH YES THE MANGA

The manga is infinitely better than the anime. It:
• has no filler
• swaps out protagonists but comes back to the old ones occasionally
• has a much darker plot
• showcases the games better

Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of pokemon, has actually said that it best conveys the world he was trying to create.

Incidentally, the manga we are talking about here is Pokemon Adventures/Special. There are actually many Pokemon manga, but Special is the best one.

Last edited by Sableyed; August 26, 2010 at 05:31:04 PM.
Old August 26, 2010, 06:20:45 PM
Rayquaza

I see this as more of an excuse for people to rant about the anime with many not know much about the manga.

The manga, pokemon special is a lot better, the characters are more interesting and diverse, each game character appears, they're usually closer to the plot then the original anime.

The creator even admitted it as the world he has trying to convay.
Old August 27, 2010, 11:19:41 AM
Volcarona

I read the pokemon special manga volume 1-4 and I think it's better because the characters are more interesting and we get to see the characters play a part in the plot. In the anime, Ash gets the spotlight while other main characters (especially Brock) doesn't get develop well as him.

Plus the villians were way more interesting and they are not a comic relief which makes the plot more serious. Team Rocket in the anime were comic relief but they did the same gag over and over and it's just not funny anymore.
Old August 27, 2010, 12:44:33 PM
Regigigas

Honestly, I think team rocket are the only good part of the anime. But they don't make for very good villains. Team Rocket in Special is REALLY threatening, all of the teams are.
Old August 27, 2010, 01:02:43 PM
Landorus

I'm with Girouette. The show has definitely gone downhill. And only a few of the new pokemon are satisfactory to me. (Kibago, the rock guy, Desukaan, The amplification Pokemon, the legendaries, and Wooguru) I've never read the manga though. except for some PMD stuff.

Last edited by Idno58; August 27, 2010 at 01:03:01 PM.
Old September 7, 2010, 07:26:08 AM
Volcarona

I never really read the manga much. But even if i did, im still pretty sure i'd prefer the anime. I much prefer seeing things happen on TV, rather than seeing it on paper. I've been watching the anime since i was about 4 or 5. Ive actually been meaning to give the manga a read one of these days, but sadly schoolwork and other obligations keep me quite. No matter how bad the anime gets, id still watch an episode every now and then.

*Go go gadget, Flame suit*

But being an anime fan, i've observed that the plot HAS actually matured a little bit, from the previous seasons. The show IS targeted at kids after all, so i cant blame the producers for not having such a dark story. In the Kanto saga, i dont blame the producers for the plethora of filler episodes. As the anime was young, the producers didnt really have much of a story in mind, apart from the Pokemon League. Johto was significantly better, an upgraded version of the Kanto saga. I wasnt really feeling the Hoenn season though.. IMHO Gen 3 was the worst (not saying it was bad, just the worst) generation, but i digress.

I dont really mind the filler episodes, some are actually quite interesting, like the most recent one about Togekiss, but then again, some are abyssmaly horrible, like the one with that machine that made all electric and water pokemon in this small town fall in love. Oh god.. that episode was just a sin against mankind.
I also dont mind the fact that Misty is gone, i dont really see whats so bad about May and Dawn. *Moar flame suit* Maybe its just cause Misty was the first female protagonist, i guess i can understand that.

The whole journey of Ash and his quest to be come a Master isnt really anything specific. A Pokemon Master isnt really an official title, its more of a self proclaimed status. Of course, one must pass some trials to be worthy of calling themselves that. IMO Pokemon Masters are like, the really really old people who have lived with Pokemon all their lives. Sort of like, martial art "grand masters".

Although slightly over the top, Team Galactic one of the most interesting goals of all the villainous gangs. Unlike money hungry Team Rocket, and Fanatical Terrorist Groups Team Aqua and Magma, Team Galactic had a unique goal, different from all other protagonists. If you think about it, the whole obsession Cyrus had, was a kind of Hitler-esque, crackpot idealist plot. I found that much darker and mature than the plain old Team Rocket/Magma/Aqua.

If you overlook the cheezy appearance of the anime, the THEME is actually quite admirable. Anyone else agree?

And for the record, my favorite saga is the ongoing Sinnoh saga, following closely behind is the Kanto+Johto saga.
Old September 12, 2010, 05:23:47 AM
Zoroark

I've been reading about the manga on bulbapedia. I should definetly give it a try, it sounds much better than the anime.