Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 20, 2010, 05:34:29 PM
Kyurem

Default Is hacking right?

I used to hacking a long time ago but than I just did the rest of the game not hacking since Pearl.
Old November 20, 2010, 05:43:54 PM
Regigigas

What's your definition of "Hacking" because there are many different ways.
Old November 20, 2010, 06:00:26 PM
Volcarona

Game save hacking? Only if you need a specific piece of the game, and wish to be there ASAP. Otherwise, a sign that you're a poor sport and quit at the slightest hint of difficulty
ROM hacking? Always right! Great practice for a learning game designer, and it's fun, with little to no experience required!
Hacking other people's computers? Eh, depends on why you're doing it (hell, you could be some creepy improv guy that hacks computers and upgrades software or some **** I dunno)
Old November 20, 2010, 06:07:22 PM
Landorus

I don't think that there's anything wrong with it, but it takes all the fun out of playing the game, doesn't it?

Last edited by SpikyEaredPichu96; November 20, 2010 at 06:07:38 PM.
Old November 20, 2010, 07:07:27 PM
Celebi

I dont think it is right. Hacking games is mainly for babies that are to lazy to beat and play the game right. In Pokemon, its for People to lazy to train/breed their Pokemon on their own instead of using 5 minutes to make a Pokemon on ******* or something else!

Last edited by [TRDRS]PokeTrader; November 20, 2010 at 07:08:09 PM.
Old November 20, 2010, 07:28:01 PM
Kyurem

I think the one valid use of it is to explore a game inner workings; the entire foundation of game data hacking (where as we're talking about game save hacking) is understanding what already exists in the subject matter. The former creates truly impressive fan-made games - especially in the Mario Kingdom (few good Pokémon hacks exists in my opinion).

...To answer strictly to your question, then really no. If it's to gain an edge over multiplayer hacking than your a sinner in the video game world (I'd have a much better streak in Mario Kart if it wasn't for hackers...), and if not then its generally lazy.
Old November 20, 2010, 08:54:05 PM
Haxorus

There's nothing wrong with hacking, so long as no harm is being done to the party.

If you, say, actually sliced into Nintendo's mainframe and slipped in some personal message in the games which caused them to be shipped out and cause irreparable damage to people's systems, then that's hacking.

What I did was "bad" hacking, although for a justifiable cause.

What you're doing is no worse than starting up Fallout 3/New Vegas, hitting "`", followed by "player.modAV strength 5". You're modifying personally owned property for personal use or non-monetary oriented gain.

Now, if you modded one of them games, slapped a new label on it and tried to hawk it to vendors, it would be illegal.

But yeah, I agree. Modding Pokémon, or any multiplayer-abled game for hope in winning nonstop is lazy. Like some people on Starcraft. They hack Marines, send two into your fully defended and powered base, and annihilate it for lulz. It's all in bad sport.
Old November 21, 2010, 02:54:15 AM
Giratina

There's nothing wrong with hacking on a singleplayer game, since it only affects your experience. But if you hack on a SP game with online rankings or a multiplayer game to provide a blatant unfair advantage*, then there's something wrong.

*By blatant unfair advantage I mean something like setting all your skills in Runescape to 999999999999. If you did something small; like giving yourself some good armor, a lot of gold, or infinite inventory space, then there's no real problem because it doesn't truly affect the gameplay of others.
Old November 21, 2010, 07:04:41 AM
Kyurem

Well, it depends why your hacking. If you're at a very hard part, then not really. If you're hacking for fun, like this code I made for SMW to keep bouncing around, then it's alright, as long as it doesn't give you a huge advantage.

If you're hacking for an advantage in multiplayer, then you have no idea on what's fair.
Old November 21, 2010, 08:08:31 AM
Kyurem

There is notthing that bad about hacking but it take out the fun of the game. Sometimes on hard games you may need to hack.
Old November 21, 2010, 08:18:06 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotblast64 View Post
There is notthing that bad about hacking but it take out the fun of the game.
That all depends on the hack itself. Like, when I turn on godmode for Fallout and storm a building full of feral ghouls, it gets boring because it's just running around and spamming my shotgun.

But if I'm playing a racing game and giving myself infinite money, I'm still working to unlock all the cars and parts, andI'm only eliminating a nuisance.
Old November 21, 2010, 11:32:40 AM
Volcarona

Hacking for fun, like NismoZ's SMW hack mentioned before, is fine because it's not for getting an unfair advantage in a multiplayer game, but rather for a little amusement.

Hacking to get through either a part of a game is also fine. I find that to be kind of boring, but if there's no harm done to other peope it's OK. You could also do it for a whole game, but that would take out all the fun, right?

Hacking to pwn everyone in a multiplayer game, like hacking Pokemon to be way more than battle worthy as opposed to actually training the Pokemon just to be "the best" is really stupid, takes the fun away from everyone, and people can think you're cheap. (Ex: "Well, this guy won by a long shot, but we all know who the real winner is.") Basically, it's like taking steroids.

I also think if you don't know what you're doing you could corrupt your memory, so it's best if you don't hack if that's the case. That's what happened to my Pearl game.
Old November 21, 2010, 02:10:27 PM
Giratina

Like everyone else said, there are a few different types of hacking.

Personally, I find hacking games to add something of your own "personal touch" perfectly fine AS LONG AS you aren't messing with other people's copies of games.

Now, hacking someone else's, say, Xbox 360 so you have access to all of their info (Address, email password, credit card info, etc.), that is completely wrong.

I guess whether or not you find hacking right or wrong depends on what kind of person you are. If you are a complete a-hole to people, you would find hacking people's info fine. If you are a kind person, you would find hacking your own copy of a game necessary just for some quick laughs.
Old November 21, 2010, 02:24:30 PM
Kyurem

I'm not sure what you mean by "hacking", but there is a simple rule of thumb that I use, that says that if any of my hacking affects someone trying to have a an unaffected experience, then a line has been crossed.

If someone were to hack a ROM to make difficult levels for themselves or for friends who want to have a go at it, then I say that it's fine. (unless of course they are selling it for money, which is a whole different story.)

Or, if you hacked a Pokemon game to teach Earthquake to your Staraptor for an in-game team, then such an example would be fine. Once you start using it for multiplayer battles though, then you are being unfair to anyone that you are playing with.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; November 21, 2010 at 02:24:46 PM.
Old November 21, 2010, 02:24:45 PM
Haxorus

I think it fine to hack as long as you completed the game (5 star trainer card), you don't use hacked pokemon, and your bored and waiting for the next game to come out. (i'm just using pokemon as an example but you should still have completed the game you're hacking)

Last edited by 11Trident11; November 21, 2010 at 02:25:43 PM.
Old November 22, 2010, 12:35:05 AM
Volcarona

This depends on what you define as hacking.

For me I find using Gameshark/Codebreaker/Action Replay/******* to be cheating. For me, it's fine as long as it's not being used in online play and tournaments, unless it is specifically allowed by the other person/people in charge of the tournament. Also messing around with saves is what I'd call cheating.

Hacking for me would be using a program that can change parts of the game. For example, Lunar Magic, Advance Map, etc. This is fine as long as you don't sell the hacked game. Online play/tournaments with hack games should only be limited to that hacked game.
Old November 22, 2010, 07:20:02 AM
Volcarona

Depends on what you do with it.
I'm going to use Mario Kart Wii as an example.

Hacking would be wrong if:
1-Used to get MKWii without paying
2-Used to always win online and ruin others experiences (by items, speed, etc.)
3-Used to get impossible times on Timetrials or competitions just so you can say you have the #1 time WW on that course

Hacking is okay if:
4-Used to mess around with the computers offline
5-Used to help online users by hacking your VR to an impossibly high amount then always getting last
6-Used to modify the games textures and music to customize it to your own liking

Debatable if it's okay:
7-Used to do exactly #5, but involves barraging the race with millions of endless items while doing so