Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire > Gen VI Competitive Battling

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 12, 2014, 08:26:18 PM
Volcarona

Default Creative and Underrated Sets!

One of the most fun aspects of competitive battling in my opinion is pulling off underrated and/or innovative sets! For example the new Pyroar set I've been trying out

Pyroar (Female) Ability: Rivalry
timid nature - 252 sp attack/252 speed/4 Sp def
Item: Life Orb
-Fire Blast
-Hyper Voice
-Attract
-Taunt/Substitute

Basically the goal of this set is to nuke any other female Pokemon due to the rivalry boost while attempting to cripple males with attract. Fire/Normal has surprisingly good coverage and taunt is my preferred option because it stops many threats from setting up. Not the most reliable set but can be very useful and is definitely fun to use!

Another one I've been trying out is a natural gift Talonflame set I saw on Serebii.net:

Talonflame Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant nature 48 HP/252 Attack/208 Speed
Item: Liechi/Salac Berry
-Swords Dance
-Acrobatics/Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Natural Gift

Many of you might be thinking "What the heck is the significance of natural gift?" I'll tell you. Natural gift got a buff to 100 base power this gen. When holding a liechi berry, it becomes a grass type move and while holding a salac berry, natural gift becomes a fighting move. Rotom's premier counters are Tyranitar Heatran and Rotom-W. At +2 and after stealth rock damage, Rotom-W is ohko'd with a liechi berry and Heatran is nearly ko'd with a salac berry whereas Tyranitar is ohko'd by either berry. Setting up is easy as all you have to do is come in safely on something that fears a priority brave bird and set up a swords dance. Next, proceed to see one of Talonflame's "counters" switch in and obliterate it with natural gift. For me, acrobatics is the preferred option as this set doesn't run roost and it'd be tough to sweep with the brave bird recoil. However, many people prefer running brave bird for Talonflame to always be ready to serve as a potent revenge killer. This set is SO much fun to pull off. Reuniclus can attest to how good it can be as well.

Anyway..... I hope you guys enjoyed this thread; have fun posting!!!
Old March 12, 2014, 08:32:35 PM
Keldeo

I started seeing this a bit more towards the tail end of Gen V, but this was one that I used right from the start:

Emboar - Leftovers - Adamant nature
HP and Attack
- Flame Charge
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Superpower/Brick Break

If you get a turn or two to set up, use Flame Charge and Bulk Up. Congratulations, you now have a fast Emboar who hits like a truck. It probably won't do many 6-0 sweeps because the coverage isn't the best - Flame Charge is useful but has less than half the base power of Flare Blitz - but I've surprised quite a few higher tiered teams with this thing (and inspired a couple others to start using it themselves).
Old March 12, 2014, 11:19:02 PM
Kyurem

Heres one:
Farfetch'd-Defiant-Jolly-Stick
Evs: 252Atk/252Speed/4HP
Slash
Swordsdance
Bravebird
Knockoff

I have read and tested that, "Slash W/ Stick" has 100% Critical Hits!! Yes thats right, Farfetch'd now has 100% Crits! You just got to find a way to set-up swordsdance then hit everything that dosnet resist Stab Slash. Knockoff to get rid of items (To Hit mostly ghosts & Steels), Bravebird for extra Stab. (Be careful of recoil & no Roost to heal)
Old March 13, 2014, 07:30:10 AM
Volcarona

Hahaha interesting emboar and farfetched sets guys! I'd never see them coming... I've been testing out a new fun set online for Luxray on a rain team.

Luxray
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Bold 252 HP/252 def/4 sp attack
Item: Damp Rock
-Rain Dance
-Thunder wave
-Thunder
-Baby doll eyes

Defensive Luxray is excellent at setting up rain and stopping sweeps. With only one weakness and max investment, Luxray can set up rain on most physical attackers with ease. It can also use the element of surprise (Luxray is normally offensive) to paralyze the opponent with thunder wave. Stab thunder of base 95 sp attack certainly does not tickle. However, when a powerful physical threat switches into Luxray and you lack any good switch-ins, priority baby doll eyes (yes it gets priority) lowers the opponents physical attack therefore making it much easier to switch into. The set seems gimmicky but it is not as gimmicky as it seems due to the surprise factor. This set will most likely never become common therefore it will always have a good chance at working. Why use Luxray over much more well-rounded or bulky pokemon? Because he's one of my favorites and is fun to use and that is what this thread is about!!!
Old March 17, 2014, 07:35:50 PM
Regigigas

I don't know if it's become a thing yet, but I run this on Slowbro:

Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Relaxed 252 HP/ 152 SP DEF/ 100 DEF (it's just random, I don't do real math)
Item: Assault Vest

Annnd 4 attacking moves! I usually have it in my Trick Room team and send it out first letting others think it's my TR set up Pokemon and then they *sometimes* waste a turn on using Taunt at which I don't know why they would since Slowbro also has Oblivious, but meh.
Old March 18, 2014, 01:18:50 PM
Volcarona

Assault vest slowbro sounds awesome! Great move pool and it is a nightmare to take down even without an assault vest!
Old March 18, 2014, 01:26:58 PM
Keldeo

Here's another one I used to use a lot. So far I've never seen anyone else use it. In any case, it utterly destroys anyone who isn't carrying a Heatran or a Skarmory.

Leafeon - Leftovers - Adamant - Chlorophyll
Attack and Speed
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Last Resort

Use it on a Sun team. Might not do a 6-0 every time but it can usually take care of a few opponents before dying.
Old March 18, 2014, 01:38:13 PM
Volcarona

That's awesome!!! Might have to steal it!
Old March 19, 2014, 10:44:59 PM
Kyurem

I don't see people running Vivillon often, it's a pretty cool and evil set...

Vivillon
Ability: Compound Eyes
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spd
Item: Focus Sash
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz

One wouldn't really expect Vivillon to be a powerhouse, but it can be a really good late-game sweeper if you play your cards right. It's probably is one of the fastest and most accurate sleep inducers; Spore is unfortunately limited to Pokemon with somewhat low speed stats while Vivillon has a 97.5% accurate Sleep Powder, meaning that it will most likely put the target to sleep. Use the time your opponent is sleeping to set up with Quiver Dance and proceed to sweep with Bug Buzz (which hits through Protect now!) and Hurricane, which now has a 91% accuracy, which isn't too shabby at all.

I also put Assault Vests on other, less obvious Pokemon. Meloetta for one can be a bulky special tank when equipped with the Assault Vest, and it's a strategy that I personally enjoyed using as well:

Meloetta
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
Item: Assault Vest
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt/Dazzling Gleam/Focus Blast/Energy Ball

Psyshock is to hit things like Blissey and Assault Vest Conkeldurr which you see everywhere, Shadow Ball is for Aegislash (as everyone seems to forget that Meloetta is immune to Ghost-type moves), Hyper Voice for decent STAB that hits through Substitutes, and the last move to round out any coverage needed. It's a pretty resilient set that pretty much takes any special hit with ease.
Old March 19, 2014, 11:12:47 PM

Sylveon - Assault Vest
Modest
252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Def
Cute Charm/Pixilate
Moonblast/Hyper Voice
Shadow Ball
Draining Kiss
Psyshock

It's tough to use on occasions, but it works. You can cheat the "no recovery" part of Assault Vest by using Draining Kiss. If you're running Hyper Voice on the set, definitely go with Pixilate for an ability.
Old March 19, 2014, 11:27:54 PM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
Sylveon - Assault Vest
Modest
252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Def
Cute Charm/Pixilate
Moonblast/Hyper Voice
Shadow Ball
Draining Kiss
Psyshock

It's tough to use on occasions, but it works. You can cheat the "no recovery" part of Assault Vest by using Draining Kiss. If you're running Hyper Voice on the set, definitely go with Pixilate for an ability.
If you're running this set, Pixilate is Key. Cute Charm isn't doing many Favors.
And it'd be better to split the HP EV's and put it into defense so 152 HP/104 Def with Bold Nature. Least you're guaranteed to survive an unboosted Bullet Punch From Scizor which Resists 3 moves on this set.
I Recommend running HP Fire instead of Shadow Ball to deal with Steel Types Considering you have Psyshock to deal with everything else such as Fighting/Poison types and Moonblast to cover Dark Types, as well as Draining kiss for healing

Last edited by JDxImpetus; March 19, 2014 at 11:29:03 PM.
Old March 20, 2014, 08:54:24 AM
Volcarona

Wow really loving these sets! Especially the Vivillion!!!
Old March 21, 2014, 03:58:16 PM
Celebi

2 Yveltal Sets. One Not so Used, and the other my Personal Favorite Set

Set Name: The Road Less Taken
Yveltal @ Leftovers/Big Root
Nature: Bold
EV's: 4 HP/200 Def/52 Sp.Def/252 Speed
-Sucker Punch/Foul Play
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Oblivion Wing

-This Set. Is Basically Utility. Having Toxic/Taunt, The Ability to Cripple and Stop users from Setting up. Specifically it's Counter Xerneas from it's usual Power-Mancy set then Toxic. With 52 Sp.Def Possibly Surviving a Moonblast...Most likely not. and Being able to Toxic/Taunt everything else that isn't Poison or Steel type. Leftovers increases it's Longevity, But Big Root gives Oblivion Wing 100% Healing instead of it's usual 75% (If I'm correct). Foul Play to Deal with people who Enjoy setting up and get utterly wrecked. Or Sucker Punch for Priority

Set Name: King Crimson
Yveltal @ Choice Specs/Dread Plate/Life Orb
Nature: Timid/Modest
EV's: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Speed
-Dark Pulse
-Oblivion Wing
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball

My Favorite Yveltal Set..EVER. This set encompasses the point of it's Title of the Destruction Pokemon. The Main Crux of this Set. DARK PULSE. lets Do this Calc.
Dark Aura+STAB+Choice Specs...Dark Pulse after Dark Aura and STAB Reaches 156 BASE POWER WITH A SPECS BOOST. ONLY 3 TYPES RESIST.Even Walls In the Uber Tier such as Lugia and Altered Giratina Get absolutely Massacred. Lugia only survives with proper EV investment and Multiscale. Giratina Barely Survives cause of it's massive HP stat Yes...you get locked into something that's easily Walled by the Likes of Arceus Fairy and Xerneas. But even they Take a decent amount from it. STAB Oblivion Wing hits everything Dark Pulse Cannot with the exception of Arceus Steel and Dialga. 75% Healing from STAB Specs Oblivion wing...is A Lot Shadow Ball To Help hit fairies and everything not named Blissey or other dark types. And Focus Blast For Coverage...whenever it wants to hit. You Can Run Dread Plate To get 3 Boosts from Dark Aura and Stab with The Dread Plate. Or Life orb if you want more damage without being locked..although with Recoil

Last edited by JDxImpetus; March 21, 2014 at 03:59:44 PM.
Old March 21, 2014, 07:09:00 PM
Volcarona

Interesting sets! Specs Yveltal can be deadly... However, lately I have preferred an offensive/utility set.

Yveltal
Dark Aura
Hasty/Naďve - 72 HP/4 attack/252 spa/184
-Dark Pulse
-Oblivion Wing
-Sucker Punch
-Taunt

With good speed, bulk and power, Yveltal makes a nice fit in the current Uber's meta game being able to threaten with it's powerful dark stabs and stop sweepers/hazard setters/status inflictors with taunt. Yveltal is easily one of if not the most versatile Uber right now being able to 2HKO most of the meta game and severely damage Lugia, Giratina-A, and OHKO faster threats such as Mewtwo and Mewtwo Y with sucker punch. Oblivion wing is also a great way to inflict pretty good damage and prolong Yveltal's lifespan simultaneously.
Old March 21, 2014, 07:30:55 PM
Mudkip

I've been toying with the ability of making a Drifblim Baton Pass set. It would be illegal according to Smogon rules, but legal in VGC.

Drifblim - Bold/Calm Nature - 4 HP/ 252 Def/ 252 Sp. Def
Unburden + Sitrus Berry
-Minimize
-Stockpile
-Baton Pass
-Substitute/ Ominous Wind

This isn't the most creative set, but it's something I've rarely seen. While Stockpiling, Drifblim gains even more bulk. Those defenses, in conjunction with the evasiveness provided by Minimize, make Drifblim extremely difficult to harm. The Sitrus Berry gives recovery and provides an Unburden boost, which would allow faster stat boosts. Because of its base 150 HP, Drifblim can create beefy Substitutes to hide behind while switching out with Baton Pass. If you're worried about being Taunted, Ominous Wind provides an offensive option that has the possibility of further boosting your balloon.
Old March 21, 2014, 07:59:29 PM
Celebi

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Nature: Careful
Ability: Shed Skin
EV's: 4 HP/252 Def/ 252 Sp.Def
-Drain Punch
-Power Up Punch
-Knock Off
-Poison Jab/Ice Punch/Stone Edge/Iron Head
Here's Scrafty. Last Gen an Offensive Set Up Machine. Until the Fairies attacked with x4 Damage. Did that stop the Little Guy?...nope. With Base 115 Defenses Scrafty Can be considered a tank..if it weren't for an Abysmal HP stat. Buuut thanks to the Assault Vest All of his Problems are Gone...for the most part. But Dark/Fighting Dual type Stab is only Resisted by one Type. And giving His VAST movepool can deal with it anyway. First We have Drain Punch. Basically it's Free Recovery with STAB. And now we have Power-Up Punch. Basically it does what D-Dance was able to do for it just without the speed Boost, and After two it still becomes the Massive Wrecking Ball it once Was. Knock off for 97.5 Damage thanks to it's Effect. And it's Anti Fairy 4th Move. It can Either Be Poison Jab, Iron Head, Ice Punch or Stone Edge Just because None of them Resist ANY Of these. This set's Main issue. Speed. Scrafty is Guranteed to Go LAST Every Turn. So building a team to play around it's issue Or even a trick room team helps Substantially. Another issue is the same Issue Scrafty had Last gen. Make sure it doesn't get hit by super effective moves. It drops like a Rock even with Def. Investment

Last edited by JDxImpetus; March 21, 2014 at 08:00:36 PM.
Old March 21, 2014, 09:12:48 PM

One of my old Gallade sets

Gallade @ Light Clay
Impish
252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpDef
Steadfast
-Thunder Wave
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Destiny Bond

Paralyze --> set up screens --> D-bond, or paralyze then D-bond if you're up against something that can 2HKO you. The idea with this set is simple, I've used it in Gen 5.
Old March 23, 2014, 11:44:42 AM
Floatzel

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Adamant, Lonely, or Naughty (Unless you are passing Substitutes, defenses never come into play)
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 Other (Doesn't really matter)
Wonder Guard
- Shadow Sneak
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance
- Protect

With 31 IVs, 252 EVs, and a beneficial nature in Attack, it reaches a satisfactory 306 at level 100. Switch in on something that can't hit Shedinja, such as many Choice-locked pokémon, and use Swords Dance as many times as you can, scouting for your threats with Protect. Once you can't risk boosting any longer, use Shadow Sneak on anything that outspeeds it (most pokémon) and X-Scissor on everything else to sweep with decent efficiency. It is gimmicky, but if you plan for it you can eliminate most or all of your opponents' pokémon that can hit Shedinja to use it for a clean-up sweeper. It is also excellent at forcing switches.

Last edited by Tarellethiel; March 23, 2014 at 11:46:48 AM.
Old March 23, 2014, 09:46:47 PM
Keldeo

*Looks through my PC*

Castform @ Choice Scarf
Modest nature
252 Special Atk/252 Speed/4 idc
Truant Forecast
- Weather Ball/SolarBeam/Fire Blast, choose 2
- Thunder
- Blizzard

This isn't "good" by any means, but if you're bored of battling like a normal person give this a shot. It actually wasn't half bad in BW OU when everyone and their grandmas ran either rain, sun or sand. Maximum SpA of 262 is not good by any means, but potential STAB + potential super effectiveness + like thirty layers of entry hazards just might be enough to revenge kill some things with lower defenses.

More importantly, it's absolutely hilarious when your opponent has a big, scary Raikou or Scizor or something and you go and send in Castform.

Rampardos @ Choice Scarf
Jolly nature
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 idc
Sheer Force
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch, Zen Headbutt, Crunch, choose 2

I think this may be fairly common in NU, but I don't battle there so I wouldn't know. Lots of people like to run Life Orb on this and maybe a Rock Polish, and I can see why (Stone Edge + Life Orb + STAB = fun).

However, Rampardos defends a little better than a Jigglypuff and unless something's Choice-locked into Fire Rampardos is probably going to die before you get the Rock Polish off. Zen Headbutt hits a base power of 104 with Sheer Force, and on top of 420-ish Attack and maybe a bit of prior damage anything weak to Psychic is probably going to take massive damage. Likewise, Fire Punch is almost as powerful as Earthquake and, after STAB, Stone Edge hits nearly twice as hard as Earthquake. Assuming it hits, that'll be killing even things that resist it in two turns.

Victini @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 idc
Victory Star
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike/Brick Break/Wild Charge
- Zen Headbutt
- U-Turn

While we're on the subject of high power levels, there's this thing. Firstly, Victini has the Victory Star ability, so moves like V-Create and Zen Headbutt will have higher accuracy than normal. Second, while LO Victini's no Rampardos, its Attack still tops out at 389 with a Jolly nature and Life Orb which isn't too shabby at all. V-Create utterly destroys everything, and the other three are good for coverage (particularly U-Turn, since it lets you switch out at the same time). Only problem is that I believe Bolt Strike was a particular event move, so if you didn't get the specific event or already deleted it I think you may be out of luck. Wild Charge has less power and recoil and ThunderPunch has a little more than half the power of BS, so I might recommend Brick Break instead for coverage or just Thunder to surprise physical walls.

I like mine Life Orb'd because it doesn't lock a move and Victini isn't as reliant on any particular stat like the above Rampardos is. However, if you want still more firepower (sorry) you can stick a Choice Band on it (449-ish Attack with a Jolly nature) and use it mainly to revenge kill or something. You'll be switching in and out, though, so beware the Stealth Rocks.

Ho-oh @ Leftovers
Careful nature
248 HP/252 Special Defense/8 idc
Regenerator
- Sacred Fire
- Substitute
- Brave Bird
- Flame Charge

I swear, nobody ever remembers Ho-oh has base-154 SpD. Is it really all because of that 4X weakness to Stone Edge or something? Urgh. Do you like Uber battling? Do you remember how there's like three Geomancy Xerneas on any given team? This thing eats Xerneas for breakfast. For no apparent reason Fire resists Fairy, which nobody ever seems to remember until the use a +2 Moonblast on Ho-oh and watch it take like five damage. Even a +2 or (probably) +3 Thunderbolt won't kill it. With Sacred Fire's 50% burn rate, this one can even be decently physically defensive with no investment (a burn is essentially a 432 numerical defense, with perfect IVs). Substitute is so you can dodge status and Flame Charge is so that you can go first in battle sometimes. Brave Bird doesn't hit fantastically hard but it's good for finishing things off.

Last edited by Dragonite; March 25, 2014 at 04:47:57 PM.
Old March 25, 2014, 04:13:42 PM
Mudkip

Boomburst Chatot is a beast

I run Timid Nature
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
with Focus Sash

-Nasty Plot
-Chatter (100% chance for confusion makes chatot very annoying)
-Encore
-Boomburst (140 bp and 100 accuracy, 210 bp with stab, nasty move)

The key to using chatot is predicting stealth rocks or coming in on spikes / ghost or ground move and getting the encore on a slower pokemon lets you get up a nasty plot and possibly sweep with sticky web support or at least take out a few pokemon before chatot eventually goes down. Make sure to get rid of those nasty steel types before you bring him out!

Last edited by Trees; March 25, 2014 at 04:14:39 PM.
Old March 25, 2014, 04:20:05 PM
Mudkip

I use Castform on my OU team actually! he can surprisingly take hit better than expected, i run

Castform (must be nicknamed testicles) @ Choice Specs
Timid nature
252 Special Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
Forecast
- Weather Ball
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball

ive seen him take a roserade sludge bomb and ohko with weather ball in hail so hes worth a try and great on any weather team
Old April 1, 2014, 01:59:36 PM
Mudkip

I've always liked Durant, and I finally got a pretty good one over Wonder Trade (5 IVs!)

So! I was planning on running either a Truant-Scarf set or a Life Orb-Hustle set. Since the latter is more common, I'll post my Truant set.

Durant - Jolly - 4 HP/ 252 Spd/ 252 Sp. Def
-ENTRAINMENT
-Any other three moves.

This set is supposed to be as annoying as possible. Make sure that this Pokemon is paired with a Shadow Tagger! Entrainment will either force a switch or allow a free switch for yourself. Once you have your trapper in, switch between a boosting move of your choice and Protect until your at maximum sweeping potential.
Old April 1, 2014, 02:29:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees View Post
Boomburst Chatot is a beast

I run Timid Nature
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
with Focus Sash

-Nasty Plot
-Chatter (100% chance for confusion makes chatot very annoying)
-Encore
-Boomburst (140 bp and 100 accuracy, 210 bp with stab, nasty move)
I've tested this set out before, but I used a Substitute strategy with Leftovers. Everything's good until your opponent brings out a Pokemon with Soundproof.
Old April 1, 2014, 02:42:51 PM
Administrator

I have a few sets that I came up with some time ago that has been rather beneficial for me when using them in battle.

Zoroark @ Black Glasses ("Pure Power")
Hasty/Illusion
- Hone Claws
- Nasty Plot
- Double Team
- U-turn

Typhlosion @ Charcoal ("Burning Disaster")
Bashful/Blaze
- Sunny Day
- Swift
- Earthquake
- Flame Charge

Linoone @ Life Orb ("Risk-Taker")
Impish/Pickup
- Belly Drum
- Thunder
- Blizzard
- Rest

Aegislash @ Sitrus Berry ("Pure Defense")
Relaxed/Stance Change
- King's Shield
- Protect
- Reflect
- Iron Defense

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; April 1, 2014 at 02:43:49 PM.
Old April 1, 2014, 02:51:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I have a few sets that I came up with some time ago that has been rather beneficial for me when using them in battle.

Zoroark @ Black Glasses ("Pure Power")
Hasty/Illusion
- Hone Claws
- Nasty Plot
- Double Team
- U-turn

Typhlosion @ Charcoal ("Burning Disaster")
Bashful/Blaze
- Sunny Day
- Swift
- Earthquake
- Flame Charge

Linoone @ Life Orb ("Risk-Taker")
Impish/Pickup
- Belly Drum
- Thunder
- Blizzard
- Rest

Aegislash @ Sitrus Berry ("Pure Defense")
Relaxed/Stance Change
- King's Shield
- Protect
- Reflect
- Iron Defense
These sets are amazing! The amount of flaws I see here are nonexistant; you could win against any competitive team with these guys!
Old April 1, 2014, 04:28:10 PM
Keldeo

Cat, but how could you forget this one?

Magikarp @ Stick ("Armageddon")
Modest/Rattled
- Explosion
- Explosion
- Explosion
- Explosion
Old April 5, 2014, 05:12:18 PM
Volcarona

LOVING the sets Trees! LOL DRAGONITE!!!!!!!!!
Old April 16, 2014, 05:07:00 PM
Regigigas

Slapping the Assault Vest of a number of high Defense based Pokemon works relatively well. I haven't tested this since I have yet to create the Pokemon, but I do plan on using it on XY Wifi:

Steelix @ Assault Vest
Nature: Careful/Adamant
Ability: Sheer Force
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Rock Slide

I planned on having this set paired with a stat passer (Scolipede/Gorebyss) to boost it's speed to something more acceptable, lol. I haven't tested and I don't really do calcs, but it's relatively interesting and stuff.

Edit: I forgot to add the EV spread. I haven't really thought of how to make the spread yet. Hmm.. Any recommendations?

Last edited by Sub-zero; April 16, 2014 at 05:08:26 PM.
Old April 16, 2014, 09:55:29 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero View Post
Slapping the Assault Vest of a number of high Defense based Pokemon works relatively well. I haven't tested this since I have yet to create the Pokemon, but I do plan on using it on XY Wifi:

Steelix @ Assault Vest
Nature: Careful/Adamant
Ability: Sheer Force
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Rock Slide

I planned on having this set paired with a stat passer (Scolipede/Gorebyss) to boost it's speed to something more acceptable, lol. I haven't tested and I don't really do calcs, but it's relatively interesting and stuff.

I think this set has really great potential!!!
Edit: I forgot to add the EV spread. I haven't really thought of how to make the spread yet. Hmm.. Any recommendations?
That set has great potential especially in tandem with a baton passer!

Last edited by Reuniclus; April 17, 2014 at 08:02:07 AM. Reason: Mergy merge time!
Old April 17, 2014, 08:12:14 AM

Aurorus @ Assault Vest
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 Def
Ability: Refrigerate
-Discharge
-Ice Beam
-Dragon Tail
-Echoed Voice/Hyper Beam
Old September 29, 2014, 09:35:50 PM
Keldeo

None of these are necessarily creative, but they've been doing pretty well for me against higher-powered teams recently.

Spoiler Alert:    
I fell in love with Cresselia today. I don't remember what exact EVs I gave it but it goes something like:

Cresselia @ leftovers
Calm nature
Levitate, obviously
EVs in HP and (I'm guessing) Special Defense.
Reflect, Light Screen, Thunder Wave, Moonlight

Core of my triples team. It's essentially centered around dismantling teams with Thunder Wave and then chipping away at them, setting up screens, etc. If it can do one of the Thunder Wave/screens operations, this thing is near immortal as you can get for a Pokémon without being hacked. Moonlight even lets it sponge things like Burn and Poison pretty well, and since paralysis is only 25% immobilization it doesn't really care about that, either. Crunch, Shadow Ball don't do a whole lot, with Light Screen or Reflect up. Surf, Fire Blast, Brave Bird? Forget it.

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Modest nature
Compoundeyes
EVs in SpA and Speed
Thunder, Volt Switch, Bug Buzz, Sucker Punch

Long time ago in the days of Black and White I sort of forgot Sucker Punch was part of this set and forgot about it. Then when I transferred it to X Ifigured I'd either replace it with some new TM or chuck an Everstone on it and breed a new one, but again I forgot about it until I threw it out into battle. As it turns out, Galvantula is actually not too fast with a Modest nature, and even with the Modest nature Sucker Punch can still do enough to take things down at low health. (Okay by that I mean things with Focus Sashes but still.) Compoundeyes brings the accuracy of Thunder up to 91%, and the live orb + STAB brings the power up to a blistering 214. (That would be a better pun if the attack was Fire type.) And then you naturally have Bug Buzz for strong coverage (effectively 156 power) and Volt Switch if you need to get out in a hurry.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Timid nature
Trace (before going Mega), Pixilate (after)
EVs in SpA and Speed
Psychic, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt and Hyper Beam

I searched the Internet before running Hyper Beam and couldn't find a single word in favor of it, even after Pixilate was introduced. Hyper Voice is safer, no recharge turn, powerful enough, people said. As it turns out, Hyper Beam's probably the most valuable move on this set. Most situations where I'd want to avoid a recharge turn can be covered with one of the other three moves, which are no joke in front of a Mega Gardevoir. Meanwhile, Pixilate turns Hyper Beam into a Fairy attack, giving it a 30% boost as well as STAB, a good 292 points of power. OHKOs any dragon except Dialga, and Neutral Hyper Beam actually does more damage than super effective Thunderbolts and Shadow Balls should the situation call for it.
Old September 29, 2014, 11:35:09 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
None of these are necessarily creative, but they've been doing pretty well for me against higher-powered teams recently.

Spoiler Alert:    
I fell in love with Cresselia today. I don't remember what exact EVs I gave it but it goes something like:

Cresselia @ leftovers
Calm nature
Levitate, obviously
EVs in HP and (I'm guessing) Special Defense.
Reflect, Light Screen, Thunder Wave, Moonlight

Core of my triples team. It's essentially centered around dismantling teams with Thunder Wave and then chipping away at them, setting up screens, etc. If it can do one of the Thunder Wave/screens operations, this thing is near immortal as you can get for a Pokémon without being hacked. Moonlight even lets it sponge things like Burn and Poison pretty well, and since paralysis is only 25% immobilization it doesn't really care about that, either. Crunch, Shadow Ball don't do a whole lot, with Light Screen or Reflect up. Surf, Fire Blast, Brave Bird? Forget it.

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Modest nature
Compoundeyes
EVs in SpA and Speed
Thunder, Volt Switch, Bug Buzz, Sucker Punch

Long time ago in the days of Black and White I sort of forgot Sucker Punch was part of this set and forgot about it. Then when I transferred it to X Ifigured I'd either replace it with some new TM or chuck an Everstone on it and breed a new one, but again I forgot about it until I threw it out into battle. As it turns out, Galvantula is actually not too fast with a Modest nature, and even with the Modest nature Sucker Punch can still do enough to take things down at low health. (Okay by that I mean things with Focus Sashes but still.) Compoundeyes brings the accuracy of Thunder up to 91%, and the live orb + STAB brings the power up to a blistering 214. (That would be a better pun if the attack was Fire type.) And then you naturally have Bug Buzz for strong coverage (effectively 156 power) and Volt Switch if you need to get out in a hurry.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Timid nature
Trace (before going Mega), Pixilate (after)
EVs in SpA and Speed
Psychic, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt and Hyper Beam

I searched the Internet before running Hyper Beam and couldn't find a single word in favor of it, even after Pixilate was introduced. Hyper Voice is safer, no recharge turn, powerful enough, people said. As it turns out, Hyper Beam's probably the most valuable move on this set. Most situations where I'd want to avoid a recharge turn can be covered with one of the other three moves, which are no joke in front of a Mega Gardevoir. Meanwhile, Pixilate turns Hyper Beam into a Fairy attack, giving it a 30% boost as well as STAB, a good 292 points of power. OHKOs any dragon except Dialga, and Neutral Hyper Beam actually does more damage than super effective Thunderbolts and Shadow Balls should the situation call for it.
I see, i see. That explains alot.
Old September 30, 2014, 05:27:43 AM
Volcarona

awesome sets! Hyper beam mega Gard is so much fun to use!
Old November 29, 2014, 02:16:35 PM
Keldeo

Coulda' sworn more people have posted in this thread since two months ago.

Yanmega @ Sky Plate
Modest nature
Speed Boost
Guess the EVs
- Protect
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash

Okay, okay, this is basically the only set Yanmega could run. And I would probably have a Life Orb over Sky Plate, except my Life Orb is already being used by Galvantula and in any case Battle Spot doesn't let you carry multiple items. Maybe a Focus Sash would work, but I do prefer the added power to Air Slash, considering it's the move I use most often. This thing isn't really a powerhouse of any sort, but when paired with Cresselia it can do some really fun paraflinching. Especially because Air Slash can hit any opponent on the field in Triples.

Gallade @ Assault Vest
Adamant nature
Steadfast
252 Attack/4 Special Defense/252 Speed
- Shadow Sneak
- Drain Punch
- Leaf Blade
- Psycho Cut

Note: I have not used Mega Gallade yet, but I probably will soon.

It's not the most amazing physical attacker in the world. Or even in Sinnoh. But it gets the job done. Shadow Sneak, Leaf Blade and Psycho Cut all do okay damage to things (most importantly, Psycho Cut one-shots any species of Gengar) and Drain Punch gives me HP back, but it isn't a physical sweeper by any means. However, it eats special attacks for breakfast. Assault Vest raises the special defense up to roundabout 400, and even if the opponent resists Drain Punch they still won't be able to do much to me without a physical attack. It's awesome. Gallade as a wall, who thought.

Klinklang @ Choice Band
Some useless ability, i forget which one
Adamant nature
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Wild Charge
- there is no 4th move with having

It's not good by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been using it a bit lately. Its main claim to fame is that Diancie recently got released, and Diancie has a 4X weakness to Steel, and Diancie happens to have nothing to touch Klinklang with unless you're weird and like HP Fire or something. It's crazy how many people whip out their Diancie and think it's invincible or something, through the tremendously crappy typing.

If only it had Speed Boost. Then I'd give it a Life Orb, slot Protect as its fourth move and then conquer Battle Spot. I think Clear Body is its Dream World ability, but even that isn't as useful as advertised.

PorygonZ @ Choice Scarf
Adaptibilty
Modest nature
252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 that you can just throw away
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball/Psychic/i think it might have a Fairy move now but I'm not sure

This was the first Pokémon I ever trained competitively, way back when I didn't know anything in Black and White and had nothing better to do than grind against the Elite 4 all day. (Forget I said that last part.) Fortunately for me, that particular PorygonZ had some pretty decent specs and I had a Choice Scarf from trolling the Battle Subway and this was like the only semi-usable competitive Pokémon I had for months until I finally discovered Smogon and figured out what I was doing with my time.

Finally dusted the thing off about a week ago for Battle Spot because I need a Scarf user and wanted something with less firepower than Victini because I have no life. Tri Attack hits most things pretty hard, given the 2X multiplier from Adaptibility, and after PorygonZ's Special Attack the other three moves are pretty nice, too. Only real downside is that it's pretty frail and most attacks of any type will do some not-so-nice things to it if I don't have my Screens up.

Whee.
Old January 30, 2015, 09:45:14 PM
Keldeo

You people need to experiment more o~o? Anyway I've been having fun with this on Battle Spot for the last two or three days.

Modest Latios, Weakness Policy, 0/0/0/252/0/252
Draco Meteor, Psyshock, Surf and Thunderbolt

Used it mainly in Triples (okay, exclusively in Triples) but in theory it should work the same in all systems. Or with a Latias, if you prefer that route. Anyway, sponge a super effective Ice Beam or Shadow Ball with that lovely, lovely Special Defense, get the free +2 on Special Attack and proceed to destroy lives. Psyshock's there to torture special walls and most forms of Kyogre/Primal Kyogre.

Speaking of which, I remember being legitimately worried about having to deal with the Primal Duo and Mega Ray without using Ubers myself going into ORAS Battle Spot, but this thing more or less eats them for breakfast. And lunch.

Also when paired with Cresselia and some screens, this thing laughs at almost any SE special attack and most physical ones. That's pretty nice, too, but the Lati@s really don't even need them.
Old January 31, 2015, 12:27:47 AM
Regigigas

^ I have 2 problems with your sets! First off, your Lati@s set! Why no Earthquake?! EARTHQUAKE EVERYTHING YEAH!!!! Second, and lastly, Klingklang can totally spam Rock Smash! THAT NORMAL TYPE COVERAGE!! Actually, that's not too bad. Imagine if KlingKlang had Technician... Wait, nvm.
Old January 31, 2015, 06:42:36 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
You people need to experiment more o~o? Anyway I've been having fun with this on Battle Spot for the last two or three days.

Modest Latios, Weakness Policy, 0/0/0/252/0/252
Draco Meteor, Psyshock, Surf and Thunderbolt

Used it mainly in Triples (okay, exclusively in Triples) but in theory it should work the same in all systems. Or with a Latias, if you prefer that route. Anyway, sponge a super effective Ice Beam or Shadow Ball with that lovely, lovely Special Defense, get the free +2 on Special Attack and proceed to destroy lives. Psyshock's there to torture special walls and most forms of Kyogre/Primal Kyogre.

Speaking of which, I remember being legitimately worried about having to deal with the Primal Duo and Mega Ray without using Ubers myself going into ORAS Battle Spot, but this thing more or less eats them for breakfast. And lunch.

Also when paired with Cresselia and some screens, this thing laughs at almost any SE special attack and most physical ones. That's pretty nice, too, but the Lati@s really don't even need them.
That's a cool set, I like it. The only thing I would recommend is timid nature over modest. The Latis hit the 110 bench mark that is very important in ORAS. They need at least chance to out speed fellow 110s including monsters like mega metagross, mega gallade, and gengar.
Old January 31, 2015, 07:32:06 AM
Keldeo

Now that I think about it, that's probably true. There are a LOT of new Pokémon (especially Megas) that clock in at 100-110 Speed nowadays, the 315-ish from last generation doesn't quite go as far as it used to.

Also I actually looked at my game today and apparently my Latios is Timid, thought that's more on my head than yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00032.png
Views:	543
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	6615  
Old January 31, 2015, 12:09:21 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Now that I think about it, that's probably true. There are a LOT of new Pokémon (especially Megas) that clock in at 100-110 Speed nowadays, the 315-ish from last generation doesn't quite go as far as it used to.

Also I actually looked at my game today and apparently my Latios is Timid, thought that's more on my head than yours.
Yeah you are much better off with Timid.
Old February 2, 2015, 04:14:28 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBrollic View Post
Yeah you are much better off with Timid.
Oh yeah speaking of latios and timid nature, i forgot to go catch my Eon-Ticket one. I know i have a awsome latios, but i dont have one with the blue pentagon thing.
Old February 2, 2015, 06:20:18 PM
Keldeo

On that note, the Synchronize trick does work on stationary Pokémon in this generation, right? *checks* Okay, they can. Go do that. Wish I'd gone and done that for all the other stationary legendaries in this game now, too. stupid recording
Old February 4, 2015, 03:13:09 PM
Kyurem

Got my latios....But it has like 0-1 IV in HP tho -.- But i did manage to nab 4 31 ivs in def to speed Its mostly going to be a all out attacker with life orb, so the hp wont matter to much.
Old February 4, 2015, 05:14:53 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
Got my latios....But it has like 0-1 IV in HP tho -.- But i did manage to nab 4 31 ivs in def to speed Its mostly going to be a all out attacker with life orb, so the hp wont matter to much.
Yea that's still really good.
Old February 5, 2015, 12:23:08 PM
Keldeo

Messed around with these two recently and they're decently good.

Braviary, Choice Scarf, Adamant nature, you have one chance to guess the EVs and if you get it wrong I'm going to be sad.
- U-Turn
- Brave Bird
- Thrash
- Superpower

Brave Bird and Superpower do most of the heavy lifting on this one, U-Turn is to get out in a hurry and Thrash is only there because I don't feel like abusing the infinite cycling thing for long enough to get its happiness up for Return. Hits pretty hard, Brave Bird has indefinite range in Triples and it's not a Smogon OU so nobody ever sees it coming.

Also the scarf means I outspeed unscarf'd Darkrai, meaning that my problems with Dark Void in Triples are over.

Tauros, Life Orb, Jolly nature, same stat spread as Braviary.
- Earthquake
- Return
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Slide

Still not quite sure the logic behind Sheer Force negating Life Orb damage since that seems kind of primary and not secondary, but I'll take it. Anyway here's another low-tier'd Normal Pokémon nobody ever seem so expect that hits decently hard. All four of its moves hit pretty hard, Return's got a base power of near 200 after all the math is done, and the other three aren't any joke, either.

It's not quite as good as the Orb'd Galvantula I replaced with it, but it still does some work and is fun to use. Plus it's not a cookie cutter Smogon OU, either.
Old March 4, 2015, 10:24:50 PM
Keldeo

I'm officially insane.

Cosplay Pikachu, Light Ball, Timid, Lightning rod, SA/SP
- Protect
- Nuzzle
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Pairs up nicely with the Cresselia in Triples, who has Thunder Wave, and my fancy new Greninja with Mat Block. Mat Block to protect the entire team for a turn, Thunder Wave anything to activate lightingrod, and see how much you can kill with Thunderbolt or Grass Knot. Currently trying to do an Uber sweep with it. That ought to be fun.
Old January 30, 2016, 12:46:36 AM
Kyurem

Tested this sucker out and it did quite well:

Spritzee-Bold nature
Item-evolite
Moves:
Wish/Torment/Toxic/Moonblast (Protect can be used as well)
Ability-Either one (i think mine is its HA?)
Evs- 252HP/252def/4sp.def

Protect works good if you dont want toxic, but then you might get walled easier. (I think i got toxic on it? Gotta check)

Last edited by kakashidragon; April 2, 2016 at 04:41:39 PM.