Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 23, 2012, 06:12:28 AM
Kyurem

Default I dug out an iPod out of the drawers

And it does charge and I'm actually syncing it with iTunes 11 right now. Still works like a charm. Just a bit scratched on the screen, though. They don't make things like they used to... I'm actually surprised that iTunes 11 still works with 2005 hardware in the first place.

(Yes, the screen is TFT. It lit up when the camera flash fired, unlike most modern backlit LCDs.)

60 GB is a lot of space for music and videos, that's for sure. Lots of photos, too? And I can plug it in and use it as a regular disk drive in Windows?

*thinks it's probably worth nothing for trade-ins, though*
Old December 23, 2012, 10:42:35 AM
Administrator

Color screen? Booooring! A buddy at my step-dad's work gave him his old iPod with a monochrome screen. That still works with iTunes 11, too. I can try to provide pictures later if you want.

(Of course, I still prefer drag-and-drop flash drive style MP3 players. Neither the iPod nor discontinued Zune make it quick enough to manage your media.)
Old December 23, 2012, 11:25:54 AM
Keldeo

Probably but its larger the the line green 16 gigabyte one that I have that is second of third generation nano, which replaced the first generation one I had back in highschool and someone liked to lock up a lot not sure which of you here on this site did that -looks at Cat-
Old December 24, 2012, 04:36:52 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
(Of course, I still prefer drag-and-drop flash drive style MP3 players. Neither the iPod nor discontinued Zune make it quick enough to manage your media.)
For some reason, I feel that drag-and-drop is much slower than automatic sync, or right-click and "Sync with Haxy". Maybe it's the amount of folders that I did went through just to get things organized in my last phone.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:17:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
They don't make things like they used to... I'm actually surprised that iTunes 11 still works with 2005 hardware in the first place
I still love how you think every piece of technology more than a year old is ancient obsolete technology that cavemen used.

And with Cat, I much prefer manual drag-and-drop of which files I want vs waiting for some program to start and sync every file I ever downloaded ever.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:31:40 AM
Kyurem

Guess I'm that lazy guy that prefers a sync client, huh?

I think... well, at least old stuff that works is stuff that works.
Old December 24, 2012, 05:01:24 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Color screen? Booooring! A buddy at my step-dad's work gave him his old iPod with a monochrome screen. That still works with iTunes 11, too. I can try to provide pictures later if you want.

Tell me about it. I miss my Creative ZEN. So easy just to pop everything ever on there, and best of all, it doesn't make it look ugly. Beautiful little Portable Media Player for it's time.

...That thing lasted me two years, too, built like a TANK.
Old December 24, 2012, 05:19:07 PM
Kyurem

Oh, by the way, somewhere in my house is my sister's old iPod Shuffle, c.2005. I wouldn't be surprised if that worked with iTunes 11 as well.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:31:04 PM
Kyurem

Hm...

I think I'll repurpose the iPod as my emergency media player and external disk drive from now on. The battery is still working pretty well from what I've seen.

Still bugs me a bit that most of my video require pre-conversion using an external converter before iTunes will sync them, though, unlike how Zune automatically converts unsupported files for my phone.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:35:59 PM
Administrator

Now only if the Zune software actually wasn't so bloated...
Old December 25, 2012, 04:35:45 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Now only if the Zune software actually wasn't so bloated...
Define "bloated"? Anyway, if anything, it takes up 106 MB of space on my computer's disk drive, and you can blame most of it on localization, graphical assets, and application-specific fonts. If you removed them, you'd end up with a bare-bones client, and that HURTS in the modern world.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:50:46 PM
Mudkip

Man, this makes me miss my Creative Zenstone that I had back in high school. It was really simple and very easy to add music.

Not to mention that the speakers of this thing was amazing.
Old December 26, 2012, 09:10:10 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikochu View Post
Man, this makes me miss my Creative Zenstone that I had back in high school. It was really simple and very easy to add music.

Not to mention that the speakers of this thing was amazing.
Speaking of speakers on PMPs, I suppose I have to get by with the fact that the iPod classics don't have any but the clicker which won't play audio. I mostly use my smartphone, anyway.

I wish I got to try other PMPs before the smartphone era, too.