Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old February 23, 2013, 10:12:36 PM
Kyurem

Default Headphones are darned fragile, eh?

Apparently, when I went downstairs to get pizza, I knocked over my headphones. I didn't notice it until I finished eating and went back to my room.

The speakers output... nothing.

Needless to say, I'm out of one proper headphones, and now I have to make do with earbuds.

I think I'm too much of a klutz >.<
Old February 23, 2013, 11:29:40 PM
Administrator

I always seem to have problems with the cable itself and almost never the speakers. It's usually the part around the plug that shorts out.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:33:45 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I always seem to have problems with the cable itself and almost never the speakers. It's usually the part around the plug that shorts out.
Hmm

Given that it's just the right speaker that's not outputting anything, and the left speaker plays just fine, and it's also the visible cable connecting point...

I think something inside might have come loose, and this is definitely NOT covered under warranty (I dropped it)

At least I have some consolation in that my dad decided to be a bit awesome and offered to get me a new, wired/wireless dual-mode headphones instead.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:44:31 PM
Administrator

Hm, have you considered modular headphones? They're still a pretty new idea, but they can come apart at various places, and you can replace individual parts (speaker units, cables, splitter, and headband).
Old February 24, 2013, 12:07:51 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Hm, have you considered modular headphones? They're still a pretty new idea, but they can come apart at various places, and you can replace individual parts (speaker units, cables, splitter, and headband).
Hmm...

Got a good suggestion on this? I doubt there exist Bluetooth(-capable) headphones that are modular.
Old February 24, 2013, 05:03:19 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Yeah. Three of my headphones have gone from either me wrapping the cable up wrong, or falling victim to a cat. My headphones don't seem to mind occasional 3-foot drops onto a hardwood floor.
Old February 24, 2013, 05:15:06 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
My headphones don't seem to mind occasional 3-foot drops onto a hardwood floor.
You do not want to know how much abuse my phones take... xD
Old February 24, 2013, 07:41:27 AM
Giratina

It's the right speaker that always goes bad? Great, then we have the same problem. This has been plaguing me since the 8th Grade. No matter what it's always the right ear and it's always after 3 months of usage. I think it's most likely the wire shorting out from how much abuse it takes... at least I TRY to be a good father to my baby headphones.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:10:23 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
It's the right speaker that always goes bad? Great, then we have the same problem. This has been plaguing me since the 8th Grade. No matter what it's always the right ear and it's always after 3 months of usage. I think it's most likely the wire shorting out from how much abuse it takes... at least I TRY to be a good father to my baby headphones.
Heh. Try that with some throw-away phones that just break with normal use... in the worst possible way.

I guess some headphones are not designed to be dropped all the time, too.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:29:06 AM
Volcarona

So far my headphones are doing just fine. I think I've had mine for more than five months, and they're still good. I think they were about $45, but still, these are nice! They're lasting pretty long so far, and they don't hurt my ears. :3
Old February 24, 2013, 12:18:50 PM
Volcarona

Reminds me that my headset doesn't seem to work anymore simply because the cat thought it'd be funny to knock some liquids on it's happened before without any issues but this time it bit the dust (wish it were sturdy like my Diamond version cartridge that survived the washing machine). Then my very pricey $40 earbuds accidently got squished the first week I had 'em. They're physically broke but they still work. However, the left ear-bud thingy does not work well at all, it hardly has much sound coming out of it. This stinks majorly when trying to play with panning in your music... The headphone companies make a lot o' money, that's for sure.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:04:55 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaDialga View Post
Reminds me that my headset doesn't seem to work anymore simply because the cat thought it'd be funny to knock some liquids on it's happened before without any issues but this time it bit the dust (wish it were sturdy like my Diamond version cartridge that survived the washing machine). Then my very pricey $40 earbuds accidently got squished the first week I had 'em. They're physically broke but they still work. However, the left ear-bud thingy does not work well at all, it hardly has much sound coming out of it. This stinks majorly when trying to play with panning in your music... The headphone companies make a lot o' money, that's for sure.
Sometimes I think headphones were made to be disposable.

Well, at least I decided to try out some headphones in my university's bookstore. It's hard to find a balance between quality, comfort, durability, style and price. I'm probably one of these guys that would prefer something comfy and clean...

There's a certain Skullcandy Aviator that I like a lot, but it's still expensive after a student discount. Looks like I'll have to look elsewhere for other brands.

I think I'll just go wired again.

Last edited by Twiggy; February 24, 2013 at 10:14:18 PM.