Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Artwork, Music, and Fan-Fiction > Fan Fiction and Literature

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 15, 2011, 05:30:09 PM
Giratina

Default Soul of the Indigo Challenger

Inspired by DiamondEdge's fan fiction.

---Prologue - Childhood Memories---

It's dark out. Everything in Pewter was calm and tranquil. Even the nocturnal Pokemon of Viridian Forest were quiet, while most of the people of Pewter enjoyed the sound of the wild Pokemon scurrying about, little Dylan did not like that sound - he couldn't sleep when they were loud.

Even though it was quiet, Dylan couldn't sleep. Something was bothering him.

"Are you sure about this?" Rina, Dylan's mother, inquired.

"Yes, I'm sure," Ken, Dylan's father, replied.

"What about Dylan?"

Dylan was over-hearing the conversation, he was getting worried.

"I'm sure you can raise him to be a kind, brave young man." Ken said, as he grabbed his coat of indescribable fabric and his favorite fedora.

"But, why do you have to leave?" Rina pleaded, her eyes starting to show signs of tears.

"Because... it will make him stronger," Ken said, with his head held low so his wife couldn't see his eyes, which were also showing signs of tears.

Ken gave his wife one last hug, and left the house. Where he was going was hard to tell, because of the cold, dark night.

"Mommy?" Dylan said, now out of his room and wondering where his father had gone, "Where's daddy going?"

"He has to run an errand..." Rina said, face now red from crying, "Dylan, promise me one thing..."

"What is it?"

"Whatever you decide to do with your life, never let someone else tell you you're wrong in doing so."

"I promise."

Dylan wasn't quite sure what his mother meant, and he was even more unsure on where his father was going. He was just hoping his father would return soon.

After one year had passed, it became obvious Dylan's father would not return. It was at this time that Dylan started to doubt the things that people told him. This may have caused Dylan to be the person he his now, a loner with little care for anyone who isn't close to him.

Dylan must start trusting himself and those around him, or his journey may end before it even begins.
Old November 16, 2011, 03:17:00 PM
Giratina

---Chapter 1 - A Lucky Misfortune---

Since that night, 8 years have passed. The day was a nice one - sun was shining, the wild Pokemon of Viridian forest were scurrying about, and even a Diglett would show itself outside of the cave occasionally. This day was almost the exact opposite of that night, mainly because there was going to be a special visitor at the Pewter Museum, who is giving 3 Pokemon to 3 lucky trainers.

"Dylan!" The voice belonged to Brock, the gym leader of Pewter, who was a friend of Dylan. Brock had entered Dylan's house and started looking for him. "Dylan! Aren't you coming to the Museum today? You know who's showing up, don't you?"

"Yes, I know who's showing up today. But why should I go?" Dylan called back. He was in his bed thinking. Dylan was always thinking when he was by himself, but he never talks about what he is thinking about. "It's not like I'm gonna get lucky today, just like any other day."

"Don't be so sure of yourself. I already signed you up for the starter raffle, so you are gonna have to go." Brock had always ignored Dylan's pessimistic out look on things, and always tried to get Dylan to be a more cheerful person, such as himself. "Come on, get up. You might get lucky today."

Reluctant as ever, Dylan got up and started to head out to the Museum with Brock. It's not that Dylan didn't want to go, he just thought he had no reason to go. Being 13 and still not having a Pokemon, he thought it was too late to start a journey across Kanto, like so many others that pass through Pewter, most notably that kid in the red, who never really said anything to anyone, so people just called him "Red."

Brock and Dylan reached the Museum, but it was crowded with people from all over to see the special presentation, even a few gym leaders showed up. Brock, being a gym leader, had special privilege to enter the Museum without waiting. Dylan followed closely behind Brock as Brock made his way through the crowd.

Even though there was a large crowd outside, the inside of the Museum was relatively empty, only a handful of people were inside. Most of these people were the aspiring trainers that signed up for the raffle and 3 gym leaders - Misty, Blaine, and now Brock. The gym leaders were scheduled to speak after the special guest.

"Good morning trainers-to-be and gym leaders!" The crowd fell silent to Professor Oak's voice. "I know this presentation is a bit unexpected, but I couldn't stand having the crowds of people make a fuss in the quiet town of Pallet. I know most of you are here for the Starter Raffle, so let's not waste time!"

Even though Dylan didn't sign up, Brock signed up for him, so Dylan was getting a bit nervous. The thought of owning his own Pokemon to raise and take care of was a bit over-whelming to the novice.

Oak spoke again, "I will pull a name out of this box, a bit old fashioned I know, but effective nonetheless. If I pull your name out of the box, come up and receive a Starter. I only have 3, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmander, to offer, so the first trainer called will have first choice."

Dylan was getting uneasy now. He was half hoping he would be chosen first so he could get either Bulbasaur or Squirtle.

"The first trainer is..." Oak rustled the names in the box and grabbed one, "Henry!" The trainer, who was much younger than Dylan, went up and grabbed the Pokeball that contained Bulbasaur. Dylan's heart sank a little. If he had Bulbasaur, the first two gyms would be easy.

"The second lucky trainer is..." Once again, Oak pulled a name out, "Jennifer!" The second trainer, who seemed to be at Dylan's age, went up and took the Pokeball that was home to Squirtle. Dylan now felt hopeless; if he got Charmander, Brock would surely win every battle.

"Last, but certain not least, we have..." Just as before, Oak grabbed a named, "Ryan!" Dylan just glared at Brock, as if he was saying 'I told you I wasn't going to get lucky today.' Brock just looked down and felt sorry for his long-time friend.

"Erm, Ryan?" Oak looked around, as did Dylan, "It appears that Ryan signed up, but did not show up. Which means I will have to draw another name." Dylan suddenly seemed hopeful.

"So, the 4th very lucky trainer to receive Charmander is..." Dylan's heart raced, time seemed to slow down, and even a drop of sweat trickled down the side of Dylan's face, "Let's see here..." Oak grabbed a name and... "Dylan!"

Dylan was overwhelmed with joy, and raced up to receive Charmander. "You should consider yourself lucky, young man," Oak told Dylan, handing over the Charmander.

Dylan looked at Brock, and Brock had an expression on his face that said 'I told you you were going to get lucky today.'

Dylan stared at the Pokeball in his hand, which held Charmander, his very first Pokemon. His hand trembled a little, he never expected to own a Pokemon. He thought about what sort of memories he could have with his new friend. The thoughts were overwhelming.

Dylan whispered faintly to himself, "We are going to have fun, Charmander."
Old November 18, 2011, 11:51:34 AM
Giratina

----Chapter 2 - A Day and a Rival----

"Waaaaaait!" A boy shouted. He was sprinting from the direction of Mt. Moon, he seemed to be in an extreme rush.

He stopped in front of Brock and Dylan, completely out of breath, "Did I *pant* miss the *pant* presen- *pant* tation?"

"I'm sorry, but you did," Brock replied, feeling a little sorry for the kid.

"Darn... well, can you tell me if I would've won the raffle or not?"

"What's your name?"

"Ryan."

Brock and Dylan were both surprised. This was the kid that was supposed to have Charmander. Neither wanted to break the bad news to Ryan.

Brock spoke up, "Unfortunately, your name was picked, but seeing as you weren't there, Oak drew another name to receive the final starter."

"Well, who was the person that got the last starter?" Ryan seemed interested in hearing who won in his place, happy even.

"I did," Dylan said. He almost wanted to say 'See what happens when you don't show up?' but restrained himself from doing so.

The intrigued look in Ryan's eyes turned into a rage.

"Then that Charmander belongs to me!" Ryan said, reaching for the Pokeball in Dylan's hand, but Brock interfered.

"You didn't show up, it's your own fault for not getting a Pokemon," Brock said, getting frustrated.

"Grr... this isn't over kid!" Ryan said, storming off back toward Mt. Moon.

'Kid? Who is he calling kid?' Dylan thought to himself.

"Listen, Dylan. I know that battling me for my badge would be unfair to you right now, so here's what I want you to do... I want you to take these Pokeballs," Brock explained, handing Dylan 10 Pokeballs, "and catch a Pikachu in the Viridian Forest. Once you do that, go challenge Misty of Cerulean City. You understand?" Dylan nodded his head. "Good. Now go start your journey, I look forward to battling you when your stronger."

"I can't wait for that day," Dylan said.

Brock held out his hand for his long time friend, and Dylan shook it.

"See you later Dylan," Brock said, "Good luck!"

"See you, Brock..." Dylan said, feeling sad that he has to leave.

Dylan headed for the Viridian Forest, waving to his friend over his shoulder. He then looked down at his hand, which held all the Pokeballs Brock handed him. He knew he wouldn't need all of them to catch a Pikachu, so he did what he normally did - he started thinking. He thought about what he could catch with those Pokeballs and got a little excited thinking about it.

"Well Charmander," He said as if Charmander was right next to him, "here goes nothing!" He took off running towards the Forest, excited to catch his first Pokemon, not just get one.
Old November 18, 2011, 07:41:40 PM
Giratina

----Chapter 3 - Bonding Issues----

It was a short jog from Pewter to Viridian Forest for Dylan.

"Well Charmander, it looks like you can come out of your Pokeball now," Dylan said, letting Charmander out of his Pokeball for the first time.

"Chaaaaar!" Screeched the tiny Pokemon, as if yawning or stretching.

Charmander gazed at Dylan while Dylan was trying to think of what to do. He wasn't used to bonding with people, let alone Pokemon.

"So... uh..." Dylan struggled for words, "Are you ready for a fantastic journey, Charmander?"

"Char!" Charmander yelped out. Charmander not only seemed ready, he seemed excited for the journey.

"Alright, so... we need to find a Pikachu..." Dylan explained, "but uh... what's a Pikachu look like exactly? This is what I get for not starting sooner... let's see here..." Dylan patted his pockets, looking for something, then gasped. "I don't have a Pokedex! I forgot to get one from Oak!"

As Dylan felt a little hopeless, Charmander was trying to help Dylan. He was tugging on Dylan's pants and pointing toward a berry bush.

"What's over there?" Dylan started walking towards the bush Charmander pointed at. "Ah, berries. These should come in handy later."

"Pika!" A Pikachu jumped out of the bush, angry at Dylan for disturbing it. "Pikaaaaa!"

"This must be a Pikachu... alright Charmander, go for it!" Dylan cried out, but to no avail. Charmander just looked at Dylan in confusion.

"Uhh... scratch it Charmander!" Charmander sprung into action and scratched at the hostile Pikachu, knocking it back a few feet.

It retaliated, "Chuuuu!" Pikachu let out a small jolt of electricity, aiming it towards Charmander.

"Get out of the way!" Charmander moved as fast as it could, but the jolt still grazed him. The pain was stinging in Charmander's stomach.

"Scratch it again!" This time, Charmander hit a weak spot in Pikachu, and it had a hard time getting back up after that hit. "Alright! Good job Charmander. Now to catch it..."

Dylan pulled out a Pokeball and hurled toward the weakened Pikachu, clonking it right on its head and was sent right into the Pokeball.

"Yes! Wait..." Dylan became nervous.

*Shake*... *Shake*... *Shake*... *Click!*

"Yes! We did it Charmander!" Dylan held up the Pokeball that housed Pikachu and felt pride in himself and in Charmander. Charmander also raised a stubby fist and let out a cheer.

Dylan got down to Charmander's level, "Can you believe it Charmander? Our first capture... our first friend... our first step on a long road. Exciting, isn't it?"

"Char, Charmander!" Charmander seemed thrilled with what Dylan told him and was ready for the next challenge.

Dylan put the Pokeball with Pikachu in it on his belt, which had special slots for Pokeballs, "As much as I would love to head for Cerulean City right now, we have to head to Oak's lab in Pallet and get a Pokedex. Otherwise, I'm gonna be clueless! Let's get going Charmander, to Pallet!"

"Chaaar!"

As Dylan and Charmander made their way toward Pallet, Dylan had the feeling the he might actually have a chance in the Pokemon League. He thought that with Charmander by his side, they will both grow and learn and eventually take on the Pokemon League's toughest trainers - the Elite Four. He decided it'd be best if he focused on the path right in front of him, rather than down the road.

And so the two headed for Pallet, wondering what awaits them at the end of the forest....
Old November 19, 2011, 05:16:16 PM
Giratina

----Chapter 4 - A Friendly Foe----

"Ah-CHOOO! *Sniff* I hate allergies" Dylan was complaining just as the two got out of the forest. "If I remember correctly..." Dylan pulled out a pocket map, "This should be Viridian City, and past here should a small route that leads to Pallet." Dylan pocketed the map.

"Hey you!" The voice was unfamiliar to Dylan. It was the voice of a girl.

Dylan looked around, a little confused.

"Did you hear me? Look over here!" The girl was getting frustrated, "Geez, can't you show a girl some kindness?"

"Oh, uh... sorry, I gue-" Dylan was interrupted.

"Yea, yea, enough of that. Let's battle!"

"Wait, what?"

"Bubble attack Squirtle!" The girl's Squirtle followed the command without the slightest hesitation. The Squirtle seemed determined to beat Charmander.

"Alright, if that's how you want to play... Scratch it Charmander!" Charmander rushed forward and attacked the Squirtle, but the attack did little to harm the Squirtle.

"Squirtle, Tackle!" Before Charmander could recover itself from attacking, the Squirtle knocked Charmander down. Charmander struggled to get back up.

'Argh... this does not look good. What to do...' Dylan thought over something to do.

"Oh!" Dylan had thought of something, "Charmander! Ember!" Charmander sprung up and launched several embers at the Squirtle, making a direct hit on it's stomach.

"You really think that's going to hurt a water type like Squirtle?" The girl said, feeling victorious.

"By the looks of your Squirtle, I'd say yes," Dylan replied, not even phased by the girl's smug attitude.

"What do you mean?" The girl looked at Squirtle, who was clenching its stomach in pain. Its stomach had a red mark where the embers landed, indicating a burn. "Wha?! How'd you do that?!" The girl went over to her Squirtle and tended to it.

After tending to the wounded Squirtle, the girl went up to Dylan and then smiled, "I didn't think you'd be that good after just one battle, Dylan!"

"Umm..." Dylan thought for a moment, "I'm sorry, but do I know you?"

"Oh! I never introduced myself! I'm Jennifer! I was at the Museum for the raffle as well, remember?" Before Dylan had a chance to answer, Jennifer noticed the second Pokeball on Dylan's belt, "Oh, you already caught your first Pokemon? I'm impressed! I haven't even caught a Pokemon yet...."

Dylan didn't feel any sympathy for Jennifer, yet he spoke up, "I'm sure you'll catch one soon." Jennifer looked up at Dylan and smiled, "By the way Jennifer, why are you here? Shouldn't you be heading for Cerulean City?"

"Well, yes, I should be seeing as I already got the Boulder Badge, but I wanted to say goodbye to my Mom in the outskirts of Pallet. What about you?"

Dylan looked down and felt ashamed in himself, "I forgot to get a Pokedex from Oak...."

"Oh, I see. Well, seeing as I'm headed there as well, why don't we go together? Traveling is more fun with more people after all. What do you say?"

'Is she serious? Why would I say yes to that?' Dylan thought, "Sure, I'll go." 'I don't want to hurt her feelings.'

Jennifer had short brown hair that curled out right at the end. Her eyes were brown that seemed to always shine, and she almost always smiled, but not always a smile that said 'I'm happy,' sometimes it said 'I'm better than you.' She was Dylan's age, and barely shorter than Dylan. She wore a navy blue blouse with a white undershirt underneath and a navy blue skirt with the fabric ending just above her knees. The skirt was perfect for running, however.

"How about we go to the Pokemon Center and heal up before we go to Pallet?" Jennifer asked.

"Sounds good to me," Dylan replied.

The two made their way to the Pokemon Center with their both of their Pokemon giving each other angry looks behind the two trainers' backs. Dylan started wondering how it all happened - how he became friends with Brock, how he got Charmander, and how he became friends with Jennifer. He decided to just go with it and see where he ends up.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; November 20, 2011 at 10:38:44 AM.
Old November 20, 2011, 03:01:20 PM
Giratina

----Chapter 5 - More than Just Basics Pt. 1----

After Dylan and Jennifer rested up at the Pokemon Center, and stopping their Pokemon from fighting with each other, they started to head out for Pallet Town.

"So when do you plan on catching your first Pokemon, Jennifer?" Dylan asked, trying to get a conversation going.

"As soon as I ca- Oh that reminds me!" Jennifer then rushed off.

"Hey! Where are you going?" Dylan called out, but there was no answer, "Grr... well then, she asks me to go along with her than leaves soon after."

Dylan started heading to Pallet by himself, not expecting to see Jennifer again for awhile. But then he heard someone running behind him just as he entered the Route 1.

It was Jennifer, out of breath, "Oh I see, leave me why don't you?" She had an armful of potions and other various medicines with her, "I guess you don't need all this stuff then, huh?"

"No! It's not that! I just didn't know where you were going!" Dylan was desperate for an excuse.

"So you just left? Well, you're lucky I'm nice, or I probably wouldn't give you all these items. I figured you could use them, too."

"Oh, uh... thanks," Dylan held open his bag and Jennifer put all the medicine items in his bag, "Anyway, Pallet isn't too far from here. And you could probably find a Pokemon for yourself in this Route."

About halfway through the Route, Squirtle stopped and turned around.

"What is it Squirtle? You see something?" Jennifer then looked up at what Squirtle was looking at, "Oh! A Pidgey! Alright Squirtle, let's catch it!"

"Squirt, squirtle!" Squirtle got ready for battle. Determined to make Jennifer proud.

"Tackle attack!" Squirtle charged forward and knocked the Pidgey down, catching it off-guard. The Pidgey looked angry, but was too weak to get up and fight back. "Alright! Time to catch it!"

Jennifer pulled a Pokeball from her bag and threw it at the weakened Pidgey, hitting it right on the back. The Pidgey was sent into the Pokeball.

Jennifer was thrilled on her catch, so thrilled that she started giggling, "This is great! I caught my first Pokemon!" She looked at Squirtle, "You did good Squirtle."

She put the Pokeball that housed Pidgey on her bag's strap, which had special slots for Pokeballs, just like Dylan's belt.

"That was a nice catch, I didn't expect you to get it so easy. And your Squirtle is incredibly strong," Dylan seemed impressed, but it's possible he was just trying to say something nice."

"Thanks," Jennifer had a very large smile, but then regained focus, "We're not far from Pallet now, Dylan. Let's go!" And she took off, as did Squirtle.

"Hey, wait up!" Dylan started running, trying to catch up. Charmander was trying to catch up to Dylan.

Dylan didn't expect for his journey to take a detour like this, but he was kinda glad it did. He couldn't imagine his journey without having someone to travel with. It probably would've been really boring if he didn't go with Jennifer. Plus, now he has someone to compete against.

The two made it into Pallet Town, each for their own separate reasons, eager to get their journeys into full-swing.
Old November 21, 2011, 04:30:25 PM
Giratina

----Chapter 6 - More Than Just Basics Pt.2----

As the two made it into Pallet, Jennifer turned around and looked at Dylan.

"OK, I'm off to see my mom for the last time in a long time. I'll head over to Oak's Lab if you aren't over after you get your Pokedex," Jennifer smiled and turned around, "Bye!" She started heading for her house, which was clearly visible from where Dylan was standing.

'Well, I guess I'm off to Oak's Lab,' Dylan thought to himself, as he started walking towards the largest building on the other end of Pallet.

At Oak's Lab, Dylan noticed there was a massive amount of land behind the lab, ranging from plains, to forests, to even lakes with many Pokemon roaming about the different areas, all of them belonging to trainers.

As Dylan entered the Lab, he noticed it looks just like a normal house, so he was wondering if you entered the wrong building.

Dylan called out, "Uh, hello? Is this Oak's lab?"

"Oh, yes! Up here!" The voice came from upstairs and belonged to Oak.

Dylan walked up the stairs and Oak greeted him, "Ah, hello there young man! What may I help you with?"

Dylan was looking around the lab, half paying attention to Oak, "Oh, right! I was hoping to receive a Pokedex from you. You see, I'm new to being a trainer so..."

"I already know the story, don't worry! New trainers come here all the time to get a starter Pokemon or a Pokedex. I just need your name so I can make the Pokedex personal and you'll be good to go!"

"My name is Dylan."

"Dylan? Ah, yes. You're the very lucky trainer who got Charmander back in Pewter."

"Yep, that's me."

"Alright, I'll be just a minute," Oak started to tinker with the Pokedex.

"Hello?" Jennifer walked in the door to the lab.

"Ah, hello Jennifer! Come right in!"

Just as Dylan did, Jennifer walked up the stairs into the real Lab of Oak's Lab, "Hello Oak. I can see you've met Dylan already."

"Yes, I did," Oak said, still tinkering with the Pokedex.

"You know, he seems completely clueless when it comes to being a trainer."

"It's true," Dylan said without shame, "I didn't even know what a Pikachu looked like until one jumped out of a bush and attacked me."

"Is that so?" Oak asked just as he finished the Pokedex, "In that case, it's a good thing I added a prototype function on this Pokedex," Oak handed Dylan the Pokedex and pressed one of the buttons, "this function should allow you to not only see what moves a certain Pokemon can learn, but it should show you what moves a Pokemon has."

"Is that so?"

"Yep! In fact, let's test it right now. Send that second Pokemon on your belt out, Dylan."

Dylan did as he was told, sending out his Pikachu.

"Pikachu!" The Pikachu seemed happy to be out of its Pokeball.

Oak was surprised to see the Pikachu Dylan caught, but didn't show it, "Now just point the Pokedex at the Pokemon and press this button," He pushed the largest button on the Pokedex.

The Pokedex spoke, "This Pikachu knows Thundershock, Growl, and Quick Attack."

"That's impressive," Jennifer said, truly impressed by the prototype function.

"Thanks for the Pokedex, Professor Oak. I guess I should head off now," Dylan said, returning the Pikachu. He was happy that he got his Pokedex.

"OK, good luck on your journey young man, and you too Jennifer," Oak replied, showing his usual smile.

"Thanks Oak. See you around!" Jennifer said, heading down the stairs and out the lab. Dylan followed closely behind.

Once outside, Dylan pulled out his Pokedex and turned the prototype function on, "So this function can tell me when a Pokemon learns a move, huh?" He then pointed the Pokedex at Charmander, who has been waiting patiently.

Just as in Oak's lab, the Pokedex spoke, "This Charmander will learn smokescreen very soon."

"That's good to hear. Now maybe I wont be so lost when I look for Pokemon to add to my team."

The two started making their way back to Pewter, both knowing it would be a long walk before they made any more progress on their journey. Jennifer had her usual smile on, while Dylan was thinking his journey may end abruptly and wouldn't be surprised if it did.

"Something on your mind, Dylan?" Jennifer asked, starting to worry about her friend.

"No, it's nothing. Don't worry," Dylan put a fake smile on to make sure Jennifer doesn't worry about him anymore for awhile.

Dylan just wondered why Jennifer was so concerned, 'It's not like anything's wrong,' Dylan thought. He just refocused, and continued on his way back to Pewter.
Old November 22, 2011, 05:08:42 PM
Giratina

----Chapter 7 - A Re-encounter----

Back in Pewter, the two stopped at the Pokemon Center to heal their Pokemon and rest up before heading to Mt. Moon. Dylan was still thinking.

Jennifer never looked more worried for Dylan, "Hey Dylan, are you sure nothing's on your mind? You seem to be deep in thought."

Dylan was deep in thought, in a trance even. He snapped out of it, "Oh, nothing's on my mind," he thought of a lie so Jennifer wouldn't worry, "Just wondering where to go from here," he already knew the answer though.

"Well, from here, you need to challenge Brock!"

"Uhh... actually, I'll be challenging Brock at some other time."

"Are you sure you can do that? You know the league has gotten really strict ever since some kid turned the sprinkler system on Brock's Pokemon."

"I'll be fine. Plus, Brock told me to challenge him some other time."

The two gathered up their stuff and started walking towards Mt. Moon. Coming from the direction of Mt. Moon was Ryan, who had a fire in his eyes, glaring at Dylan.

Ryan pointed at Dylan, "You, kid!"

Dylan was getting aggravated, "Who are you calling kid? You definitely look younger than me, kid."

"Argh, don't call me kid!" Ryan was also getting aggravated, but seemed more aggravated than Dylan. He sent a Sandshrew out, preparing itself for battle.

"Huh..." Dylan pulled out his Pokedex.

The Pokedex analyzed the Sandshrew, as well as figuring out what moves it has, "This Sandshrew knows Scratch and Defense Curl."

"Good to know," Dylan took Pikachu's Pokeball out.

Jennifer looked at Dylan in confusion, "Dylan, what are you doing? An electric type doesn't stand a chance against a ground type."

"Normally no, but this Sandshrew doesn't know any ground type moves. As long as I don't tell Pikachu to use thundershock, I should be fine," Dylan sent out Pikachu, feeling confident.

Ryan chuckled, "Are you kidding? That electric rat's not going to stand a chance against Sandshrew," Ryan laughed again, "Scratch it!"

Dylan waited for the right time, right before Sandshrew got to Pikachu, "Quick Attack, Pikachu!" Pikachu side-stepped with blinding speed, completely avoiding Sandshrew's attack, then struck Sandshrew as it was trying to recover from missing.

Ryan was aw-struck, "No way! Erg... Defense Curl!" The Sandshrew then stood up and balled up. It didn't move.

"What an odd move... Quick Attack again, Pikachu!" Pikachu charged towards the motionless Sandshrew, and had a direct hit. At first glance, it looked like the attack did nothing, as it was still in a ball and bounced a little bit.

Ryan felt confident suddenly, "Sandshrew is too tough for your rat's attack."

"Are you sure about that?"

Just then, the Sandshrew unballed itself and fainted. Ryan couldn't believe what he just saw - a ground type losing to an electric type.

Jennifer spoke up, happy with her friend's victory, "Critical hit - a hit that blasts through any defense a Pokemon may have setup for itself. Pikachu must've hit a weak spot on your Sandshrew."

"Grr... I can't believe I lost," Ryan returned Sandshrew to its Pokeball, "By the way kid, what's you name?"

Dylan contained his anger, "My name is Dylan, and I'm not a kid."

"Dylan huh... alright Dylan, I'll make a bet with you! If I become the League Champion before you, you owe me 5000 Poke."

"And if I become Champ first?"

"I'll owe you 5000 Poke."

Dylan pondered it for a moment, "Alright, it's a deal."

He shook Ryan's hand, both of them knowing they had made a rival in each other. They gave each other a look that told the other 'good luck.' Ryan made his way to the Pokemon Center, while Dylan and Jennifer headed out for Mt. Moon.

Dylan was getting hopeful; he made a friend, a rival, and a partner in both of his Pokemon. It's hard to believe that only a week has passed since Dylan started his journey. He imagined the rest of his of journey wouldn't be as easy as this, but he was prepared for it.

Dylan turned his head to Jennifer, "Together to the end?"

Jennifer turned her head to Dylan and smiled, "Together to the end."

They both read the other's mind, and at the same time shouted out, "To the Indigo Plateau!"

Last edited by Quadcentruo; November 24, 2011 at 03:28:10 AM.
Old November 24, 2011, 05:04:06 AM
Giratina

----Chapter 8 - A Wild Path----

The two made their way through Mt. Moon, thinking about what wonders await them inside the mountain. Jennifer was still confused about why Dylan is choosing not to challenge Brock first, like most others, but she went with it.

"So Jennifer," Dylan was getting curious, "do you know what Mt. Moon is like?"

Jennifer thought for a moment, "From what I've heard, it has a winding path right through it that's full of Zubats. If you're lucky, you'll find a Clefairy, which are said to come from the moon along with all the Moon Stones inside it."

Dylan was intrigued, "Sounds interesting. I'll keep my eye out for one of those... huh?" At that moment, Dylan saw a large eared Pokemon in the grass.

Dylan pulled out his Pokedex to analyze the Pokemon, "Nidoran Male - This is the Male form of Nidoran. Males tend to be more fierce in battles, however they also tend to be more reckless. Beware of its poison tipped horn."

Dylan knew he wanted Nidoran for his team, "Let's do this Charmander!"

"Chaaar!" Charmander ran out in front of Dylan, challenging the Nidoran.

"Let's get started with an Ember attack," the little Pokemon followed the command perfectly, launching small embers at the Nidoran, but it dodge quickly.

"Argh, that thing is quick..." Dylan was getting angry. He saw the Nidoran charge towards Charmander, "Look out Charmander!"

Charmander stopped the Nidoran's charge by grabbing its horn, but only barely. Charmander was struggling to keep the Nidoran's poisoned horn away from him.

Dylan saw an opening, "Charmander, Ember now!" Charmander launched the embers now from point-blank, hitting Nidoran directly on its head, "Now Scratch it!" Charmander, still holding onto Nidoran, attacked the Nidoran with a sharp claw, knocking it down.

Dylan pulled out a Pokeball, "You're mine now, Nidoran!" Dylan threw the Pokeball in such a way that there was a curve on it, hitting the Nidoran right on its horn.

Dylan walked over to the Pokeball and picked it up, "You did good Charmander. We got a Nidoran Male to call our own."

"Char, Chaar!" Charmander examined the Pokeball and noticed a purple spot on the Pokeball.

Dylan took a look on at the spot where Charmander was looking at, "Huh... must've been where I hit Nidoran's horn," Dylan tried to wipe off the mark, but it was stained on the Pokeball.

Jennifer saw everything, "Just leave it, I think it makes the Pokeball unique. Plus, you'll be able to tell which one is Nidoran if you ever need to make a quick decision."

"Yea, I guess you're right," Dylan put Nidoran's Pokeball on the third slot of his belt, "Isn't there a Pokemon Center around here?"

"Yes there is, right up ahead. Next to the entrance of Mt. Moon."

"Alright, let's go!" Dylan and Charmander took off.

"Hey, wait up!" Jennifer took off after Dylan, as did Squirtle.

Once the two made it to the Pokemon Center, it was getting late, so the two decided to stay the night at the Pokemon Center. As Dylan was settling into a couch, he saw Jennifer shaking from the cold - the Pokemon Center ran out of blankets, but Dylan brought his own.

"Jennifer, do you want to share my blanket? It's large enough to share."

Jennifer smiled, "Sure. And thanks." Jennifer sat next to Dylan and put half of the blanket over her then rested her head on Dylan's shoulder and fell asleep.

Dylan tried to think of something, he wanted to think of anything, but he was too tired to do so. He was exhausted from the past few days and fell asleep faster than he ever has before.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; December 10, 2011 at 04:42:13 PM.
Old November 26, 2011, 08:30:49 AM
Giratina

----Chapter 9 - Mt. Moon----

When Dylan woke up, the first thing he noticed was Jennifer was gone. He looked around, half asleep, and only saw the Pokemon Center staff at their posts.

He went outside and looked around. Still, he didn't see Jennifer anywhere.

Dylan scratched his head, "Maybe she went through Mt. Moon without me," Dylan shrugged, "I guess I'll be off then."

As Dylan turned to the entrance of Mt. Moon, he heard his name in the distance, "DYLAAAAAAAN!" It was Jennifer running from Route 4.

'What was Jennifer doing in Route 4?' Dylan thought to himself.

Jennifer stopped in front of Dylan and caught her breath, "Morning Dylan!"

Dylan was confused, "What were you doing in Route 4?"

Jennifer was still smiling, even though she was still catching her breath, "I went to catch a Pokemon," she took the 3rd Pokeball on her bag strap and let the Pokemon out. It was a Nidoran Female.

"Very nice catch," Dylan refocused on Mt. Moon, "Anyway, we should be heading off."

"You're right, let's go!"

Inside Mt. Moon, the two noticed all the lights inside the cave. These lights were to light the path of trainers going to or from Cerulean City and allow miners to see what they were doing while working. These lights did disturb the Zubats, however, so they attack trainers more than not.

As the two made their way through the cave, they heard something approaching them. It sounded like screeching and tiny wings flapping.

Dylan turned around, "This isn't good," he took Pikachu's Pokeball from his belt and sent out Pikachu. A large group of Zubats were headed straight for Dylan and Jennifer, "Jennifer, run!"

Jennifer turned around in horror and saw the Zubats. Without thinking, she did what Dylan said and started running. Dylan was getting angry.

"Pikachu, Thundershock on the Zubats!" Pikachu cried out in anger, shooting out a small bolt of lightning, striking a Zubat. This caused a chain reaction in which all the Zubats were struck. They all fell to the ground, fainted.

Jennifer ran over to Dylan and wrapped her arms around him, "I was so scared... and you were so brave...."

Dylan's heart was racing, "I wasn't being brave, I was just doing what had to be done. In reality, I was scared. I don't think I've ever been scared like that in my life."

The two continued through Mt. Moon. Dylan was on edge, while Jennifer was still scared and didn't go more than a few inches from Dylan.

Dylan felt something tugging at his pants, "Huh?" He looked down and saw a Clefairy holding up a moonstone for him, "Oh, uh... thanks!" He pulled out his Pokedex while taking the Moonstone from Clefairy.

The Pokedex read, "Clefairy. This Pokemon has been said to have come from the moon. They are very friendly and love to help people."

Jennifer completely forgot about her fears and gazed at the Clefairy adorably, "Aww, it's so cute!" Another Clefairy went up to Jennifer and held up a moonstone for her, "Aww, thank you!"

Dylan looked at Jennifer, who was obsessing over the Clefairys, and couldn't help but show a smile. Then heard a familiar sound, "They're back."

Jennifer looked up and got behind Dylan in fear. Dylan backed up a little bit, but the Clefairys didn't look scared - they stood their ground.

"You little guys gotta go!" But the Clefairys didn't listen to Dylan, they just started waving their arms and their fingers started glowing, "What are they doing?"

Jennifer was intrigued, "They're using Metronome."

Before Dylan had time to ask what that was, a strong, icy wind rushed forth in front of the Clefairys headed straight for the Zubats.

Dylan was impressed, "Blizzard." Jennifer was clinging to Dylan's arm in shock and awe.

The madness had stopped and the two realized they were already at the exit. They didn't think they would cover that much ground in such a short time. The two waved to the Clefairys and exited the cave.

"That was more exciting than I thought it was going to be," Dylan said with a small grin.

"Are you kidding? That was really scary!" Jennifer said, still clinging to Dylan's arm.

"You know, you can let go of my arm at anytime..."

"Oh, right," Jennifer's face turned red and she let go of Dylan's arm.

Dylan was still unsure of why Jennifer cared so much for him. He think he had an idea of why she cared so much, but he didn't think it was true. He valued his friendship with Jennifer, yet something seemed off. Not missing, but he thought Jennifer had different feelings towards him.

Beyond all that, Dylan thought about his journey. He made it to Cerulean City, where he would get his first badge.