Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 12, 2012, 05:30:28 AM
Giratina

Default GPU fan issues

A couple of months ago, my computer started making a rattling noise, as if something was shaking or a fan was hitting a wire. I open up my computer and find that my GPU was the cause of this. The fan was slightly loose and was shaking as it spun. I fixed it to the best of my ability and it stopped shaking for awhile. Now it is shaking again, but it won't stop. I tried to fix it and stop it from being loose, but it keeps shaking and making a rattling noise. It's not effecting my computer at all, but the sound is annoying and seems unsafe to leave it as is.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? I considered popping the fan off, but that would be a horrible idea because it would overheat (due to my lack of cooling systems).
Old May 12, 2012, 08:05:40 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
A couple of months ago, my computer started making a rattling noise, as if something was shaking or a fan was hitting a wire. I open up my computer and find that my GPU was the cause of this. The fan was slightly loose and was shaking as it spun. I fixed it to the best of my ability and it stopped shaking for awhile. Now it is shaking again, but it won't stop. I tried to fix it and stop it from being loose, but it keeps shaking and making a rattling noise. It's not effecting my computer at all, but the sound is annoying and seems unsafe to leave it as is.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? I considered popping the fan off, but that would be a horrible idea because it would overheat (due to my lack of cooling systems).
*thinks that the fan might be headed off the tech graveyard*

If you're able to, get a replacement fan for the GPU. In the meantime, keep the amount of GPU stress low just in case the fan suddenly does do something unexpected, like falling off.

Also, I wonder whether the blades are hitting anything? If there's nothing being hit, chances are something inside the fan is loose, and not outside.
Old May 13, 2012, 04:11:39 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
If you're able to, get a replacement fan for the GPU. In the meantime, keep the amount of GPU stress low just in case the fan suddenly does do something unexpected, like falling off.

Also, I wonder whether the blades are hitting anything? If there's nothing being hit, chances are something inside the fan is loose, and not outside.
I checked and the fan is not hitting anything (that's what I first thought). I don't need a replacement fan. All I need is apply enough force on it and it will stop. However, this is not an optimal solution in my book.

At the time of this post, the fan is not loose and making any sounds that it shouldn't be making. However, I get the feeling that it will make the dangerous sounds again when I turn my computer on.