Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 6, 2012, 10:31:09 AM
Kyurem

Default Is too much customization and freedom a bad thing on mobile devices?

I've always liked to customize things to my liking,especially when it comes to mobile devices such as smartphones. However, I don't really feel that safe installing applications from the Android Market/Google Play,because I'm a bit paranoid about malware. Given some freak occurrences of malware showing up in there, I've begun to think about the cost of freedom on mobile devices. Is it worth the trade-off of reliability just to be able to do almost anything you want? Is rooting even necessary for a regular user?

I went Windows Phone for convenience, and also for some peace of mind. When I heard that Windows Phone 8 will allow app installations from SD, though, I've begun to wonder whether it'll go horribly wrong.

Think about this: Do you want a closed garden of relative security but you're stuck with approved stuff, or do you want to get risky and be out free and vulnerable?
Old July 6, 2012, 11:37:06 AM
Giratina

I'm a bit of a risk taker and a free shaker. I don't know what that second one means, but I definitely love being able to do whatever I want freely, because I know of the dangers and the risks and I'm ready to take them all head on. And that's why 90% of the devices I have are unlocked in some way or another.
Old July 6, 2012, 11:40:03 AM
Administrator

So Windows Phone 8 will allow unsigned code to run on their device without any attempts to stop it? That's definitely a first.

Well, as a sucker for modding, I definitely think it would be a good idea for me to try out, but I get the feeling I may be reformatting every year or two.
Old July 6, 2012, 12:32:33 PM
Rayquaza

I like customise anything I have, whether it is a phone, an operating system or even a browser. I just like it, without thinking much about the consequences.
Old July 6, 2012, 09:24:55 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
So Windows Phone 8 will allow unsigned code to run on their device without any attempts to stop it? That's definitely a first.
Even I'm not sure about that - I think I might have misheard that. I don't think Microsoft would want Windows Phone to devolve into a Windows Mobile/Android mess.

I think it's probably the other way around - Marketplace installs to SD, or perhaps in corporate situations, where signed apps on SD are mass-deployed to phones.