Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 10, 2010, 08:56:19 PM
Kyurem

Default Black and White... or will they have DIFFERENT names?

To some, Black and White may be simple and sweet (that's what I think), but who knows? Nintendo may change the names of the games while translating it. If this were the case, what names do you think the games would have? I personally thought Ebony and Ivory would be great names, if Black and White weren't chosen.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:57:41 PM
Shaymin

As someone said before on another thread "they have always been translated right to english" which means I think they won't change them.
Old April 10, 2010, 09:43:41 PM
Volcarona

I'd like to see Ebony and Ivory.
<3 my cats. :3

though lux is probably right.
Old April 10, 2010, 10:05:35 PM
Mudkip

I think it's so unnecessary to change them == calling them racist is just stupid..... @@
pretty sure Japan won't care anyways x3
Old April 11, 2010, 10:06:55 AM
Giratina

I actually think that the names are classic, and therefore shouldn't be changed at all. Only a very small group of people (probably ones who already hate Pokémon) will try to raise problems because of them.
Since the Pokémon company had had history with racial controversies before, I think it is fully aware of the problems that the names might cause. Therefore, there is a possibility - perhaps a slight one - that they might change the names.

Last edited by Shadow; April 11, 2010 at 10:23:50 AM.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:12:07 AM
Rayquaza

Nintendo isn't going to change the names, you're overeacting.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:15:07 AM
Kyurem

"Black and White" is a saying most commonly used to refer to something as being a stark contrast to something else, like "Night and Day". I'm a Minnesota boy, and we're pretty excepting of everybody: other races, other sexual orientations, etc, so maybe I'm not the best person to say, but the title really doesn't invoke any thoughts of racism what-so-ever.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:18:25 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
I'm a Minnesota boy, and we're pretty excepting of everybody: other races, other sexual orientations, etc, so maybe I'm not the best person to say, but the title really doesn't invoke any thoughts of racism what-so-ever.
I live in Georgia. I'm not racist and I don't judge people, but A LOT of people around me do. I can see how the names could cause a problem.
Old April 11, 2010, 11:04:24 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshizard View Post
I can see how the names could cause a problem.
Precisely. I love the names Black and White, but if worse comes to worse and the American names had to be changed, Ebony and Ivory would be my top pick.
Old April 11, 2010, 02:46:07 PM
Charizard

i personally think it shoud stay pokemon black and pokemon white for the translations. i mean its like pokemon red/blue/green
Old April 11, 2010, 03:25:23 PM
Shaymin

Ebonyyyyy and ivoryyyyyy sit together in perfect harmonyyyyyy side by side on my piano, keyboard, oh Lord, why don't weeeeeeeeeee...

No, seriously.

If push comes to shove, Nintendo would win any lawsuits accusing BW of being racist. It'd be like saying "I got a black shirt" and someone being "OH MY GOD YOU SAID BLACK fhe4io;rg RACIST!" It's just a moot point.
Old April 11, 2010, 03:30:13 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
Ebonyyyyy and ivoryyyyyy sit together in perfect harmonyyyyyy side by side on my piano, keyboard, oh Lord, why don't weeeeeeeeeee...

No, seriously.

If push comes to shove, Nintendo would win any lawsuits accusing BW of being racist. It'd be like saying "I got a black shirt" and someone being "OH MY GOD YOU SAID BLACK fhe4io;rg RACIST!" It's just a moot point.
The sad thing is that I don't doubt that last part would happen.
Old April 12, 2010, 12:51:28 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
Indeed. The way I see it, accusing anybody of being racist here is putting us back 40 years, and racism in itself.

Anybody remember the episode of The Office where a race-guy-lecturer (whatever you want to call him) came in? I think his point of not being "colorblind" is what Nintendo would be doing by changing the names - that is, we need to embrace other races, benefit from that uniqueness, and not pretend color doesn't exist.
Old April 14, 2010, 08:40:27 AM
Shaymin

I really doubt it, the only times they've had nothing but straight colors/gems/etc. are for the remakes, not the main series games.

Plus, if you think that B/W is a racist thing, then you are being ignorant, are the true racist, and just want to attract attention to an unneeded situation. Seriously, it's an old and worn out joke, I knew the second the names were released that people would need to just use them as reasons to call out nonnexsistant racism when these are VIDEO GAME NAMES, not slurs.

Last edited by OMGITSJAD; April 14, 2010 at 08:43:30 AM.
Old April 14, 2010, 09:02:18 AM
Zoroark

Most fans are just cracking jokes on it being racist, we know there is no intent of that placed into Pokemon. It is good to have a joke now and then with the Pokemon Series.
Old April 14, 2010, 09:12:43 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricThePelipper View Post
It is good to have a joke now and then with the Pokemon Series.
Problem is it's not a good joke, it's a bad one. ._.;
Old April 14, 2010, 03:30:40 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
Plus, if you think that B/W is a racist thing, then you are being ignorant, are the true racist, and just want to attract attention to an unneeded situation. Seriously, it's an old and worn out joke, I knew the second the names were released that people would need to just use them as reasons to call out nonnexsistant racism when these are VIDEO GAME NAMES, not slurs.
Quote:
Problem is it's not a good joke, it's a bad one. ._.;
Agreed on both accounts. Anybody know any big civil rights activists who would agree here (I'm thinking Larry Platt)?
Old April 14, 2010, 03:33:44 PM
Keldeo

Its not racist obviously but someone might peg it as racist and sue. Just like what happened with jynx. =w= Theres always someone looking to make a quick buck.
Old April 14, 2010, 03:57:42 PM
Shaymin

If they do sue, then Nintendo would just sue back if the courts even decided to take the case.

If people want to sue, fine.
They'll lose so much money from legal and such fees it's not even funny though.
Old April 14, 2010, 04:11:33 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
If they do sue, then Nintendo would just sue back if the courts even decided to take the case.

If people want to sue, fine.
They'll lose so much money from legal and such fees it's not even funny though.
Nintendo has the money to go to the Supreme Court, and obviously I don't see any high court calling it racist, so... you'd be taking a major gamble: make a quick buck or be eternally in debt (as in garnished wages, etc.). It would be an interesting one for the history books, though.
Old April 14, 2010, 04:24:50 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
...make a quick buck or be eternally in debt (as in garnished wages, etc.). It would be an interesting one for the history books, though.
No, there's no way you'd ever get any money for trying to sue for such a case. You couldn't make a quick buck, you'd do nothing but lose money for it. :\
Old April 17, 2010, 07:28:55 AM
Servine

As well as some of you I like the names BLACK and WHITE it refers to (in my opinion) the old kinds of pokemon games. Even though it's not possible that they will make a new RED, YELLOW, BLU E, or GREEN it would be nice for the DS LITE.
Old April 20, 2010, 09:36:52 PM
Shaymin

Well, let's analyze the names so far.

Red, Blue, and Yellow: Two of three primary colors, Yellows introduction completes the triangle. As for Red and Green, those two colors are opposites on a typical color wheel.

Gold, Silver, Crystal: Two precious metals and a precious gem.

Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald: Three birthstones. A possible homage to Red, Blue, and Green.

Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum: The reverse of GSC. Two precious gems and a precious metal.

Black and White: Black is the absence of all color in the spectrum of light. White is all colors combined in the spectrum of light.

Usually the color themes have some sort of significance. Ebony and Ivory would take the themes back to rocks and materials. I don't see why Nintendo would change the names to avoid a lawsuit they'd win.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:18:45 AM
Joltik

If people immediately think racist thoughts connected with the words "black and white" then that is their problem, not Nintendo's. It's the same level of stupidity as insisting black people should be called "African-American" even though there are blacks that are neither African nor American... Racism is about context and intention, not simple innocuous words.
Old May 5, 2010, 06:04:36 PM
Haxorus

I think the name might stay the same, not very sure though.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:00:12 AM
Giratina

To avoid the fact that Localization Censorship may consider the names to be "Racial Slurs" they might change the names. But seriously, Black and White is so vague and awesome. Just like the originals R/B/Y.
But still, noone shouted "ASIAN!" when Yellow came out. Although, they also didn't ban the slots, so many possibilities.
Trust me, a worse name for those games is "Pokémon African-American and Pokémon Caucasian Versions!" <---I'd SO buy those.

EDIT: OH YEAH! And yall best be expecting Pokémon Gray to come out a little while after.
And this time, it'll center in on the awesome-est of the trio.
I don't rly know, but isn't that always the case?

Last edited by TurtwigX; May 26, 2010 at 12:03:32 AM.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:47:32 AM
Servine

or "INDIAN" for Red Version.

The idea that political correctness will affect these games is a bit over the top, though. I think Pokemon has more than outlived its time being "controversial" here in the United States, so I doubt these two games will be renamed.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:50:51 AM
Regigigas

There won't be any problems when they are released in US because everyone will forget what racism is because of the awesomeness of the game
Old May 26, 2010, 03:08:39 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bela View Post
or "INDIAN" for Red Version.
Or clown for Blue version~!!1 Heheheeh
Old May 26, 2010, 01:52:40 PM
Servine

POkemon JADE AND OPAL thats a good name
Old May 29, 2010, 04:36:21 AM
Administrator

They are Black and White outside of Japan, confirmed by the English site.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:09:53 AM
Rayquaza

I'm confused why Cat didn't close this.