Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 15, 2010, 09:48:47 AM
Volcarona

Default Edit: 23rd October 2010 - I got Black! :D Mods please close this if you want.

Unless you guys can understand and read Japanese, how do you guys figure out whats going on in-game? Do you guys just try and figure out whats going on? Or do you use some kind of hacked translator. I know they follow the same formula for all the games, but are they really THAT predictable?

My country started shipping in Japanese copies of Black and White the second day they came out (we're really crazy on imported goods) , and I've been thinking about getting it. Although im worried I might not understand everything, and that it might spoil the English version for me when it comes out.

I'm semi-fluent in Chinese, which Japanese is based off, and i can read like 10 Japanese characters, but that dosent really give me much of an egde does it? ://

edit: Hurray, my questions were answered and I ended up getting Black. Mods please close this thread if you want.

Last edited by AnathemA; October 22, 2010 at 09:01:08 PM.
Old October 15, 2010, 10:29:58 AM
Shaymin

Just because it's pretty predictable, and even if you get lost, most of the time if you just look around you'll find something to progress the game, unless it's like one part where
Spoiler Alert:    
you have to return to a desert to fight Team Plasma, which if you didn't have a friend/guide to tell you to do so you'll be highly confused on what to do next
then you probably won't get stuck that much.
Old October 15, 2010, 10:56:40 AM
Giratina

Well, as long as you know that Yes is the top option and No is the bottom option, you won't have a hard time.

But like JAD said, there's one or two times where figuring out where to go next is a real pain, but for that there's the internet. It doesn't happen often, though. The game's pretty linear, so you won't have to stray too far off-course to get through. Of course, knowing Japanese helps but it's certainly not a necessity.
Old October 15, 2010, 11:00:23 AM
Volcarona

Thanks for the yes-no-top-bottom thing. And of course for all the other help

I was just about to make one of my sudden decisions to buy a game until I found that thread about the Black & White region lock.

Unfortunately, I have a DSi.. Now before I magically jump out of bed one morning and yell to myself: "LETS GET POKEMON BLACK!", I gotta work on finding a DS Lite to borrow...

Thanks once again guys

Last edited by AnathemA; October 15, 2010 at 11:01:54 AM.
Old October 15, 2010, 11:03:45 AM
Shaymin

I know what to do because all the Pokemon games follow the same format. When you go to the PC there is "Someone's PC", "<Your name here>'s PC" and so on in all the games. It doesn't change from Japanese to English. If you're a veteran to the games then it's not hard to figure everything out after a bit. I was scared I would be stuck before I even got to the first gym, but I caught on fast and I had a lot of fun playing.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:38:21 AM
Kyurem

I didn't have too much trouble because I understood enough. I got the Resort Desert plot because I saw Belle say レゾート デザート (Resort Desert). So I figured I oughta go there. 
Old October 17, 2010, 01:33:18 PM
Keldeo

I basically guessed where I was going, there was a certain spot, not where JAD mentioned though, but another area, so you just got to try the stupid things out as well to try to get to your destination.
Old October 17, 2010, 01:51:30 PM
Regigigas

I pretty much got through the game fine with the exception of what JAD said, but the games have a certain way they go and for a real true pokemon fan it does make it easier to navigate through the story.
Old October 17, 2010, 04:54:07 PM
Haxorus

For me, the games selections and questions are all quite similar if you played DPPT and HGSS, Like Ningamer said, YES is up and NO is down, for other situations you look for help by watching LP's and Text walkthroughs or get translation help from marrilands site or Pokesplash and for special events and occasions you go to Serebii for facts. Oh...and did you set it to Kanji? If you did....it's gonna be difficult..I recommend Kana...(you can change it by going to the the girl next to the new route when heading off from your hometown.)

Last edited by Turtwig; October 17, 2010 at 04:55:29 PM.
Old October 19, 2010, 01:00:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathemA View Post
Unless you guys can understand and read Japanese
^ Mostly this, but I'm still learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
Just because it's pretty predictable, and even if you get lost, most of the time if you just look around you'll find something to progress the game, unless it's like one part where
Spoiler Alert:    
you have to return to a desert to fight Team Plasma, which if you didn't have a friend/guide to tell you to do so you'll be highly confused on what to do next
then you probably won't get stuck that much.
*chuckles*
I'm going to laugh at you every time you say this because of this (not gonna let it down ):
Spoiler Alert:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Wow, I see why everyone kept getting confused. I mean, it makes perfect sense what you're supposed to do after a certain part after the seventh gym. You just need to read it!

Quote:
There's something at the Ancient Ruins! Let's go, Cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtwig View Post
Oh...and did you set it to Kanji? If you did....it's gonna be difficult..I recommend Kana...(you can change it by going to the the girl next to the new route when heading off from your hometown.)
It's also on the Options menu.
Old October 21, 2010, 05:47:18 AM
Volcarona

Hurray more comments. Well, I've decided to get B & W, but first, I gotta find a DS Lite to borrow..

Stupid DSi region lock!
Old October 22, 2010, 03:21:59 PM
Magikarp

Lol, what I do when I get stuck is I just look on YouTube for a walkthrough and see what to do if it's REALLY hard to figure out. Like what Jad said.
Old October 23, 2010, 07:57:23 AM
Kyurem

Gelocked per request.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; October 23, 2010 at 04:15:26 PM.