FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 2, 2012, 05:17:28 AM
Kyurem

Default Internet Explorer 10 Consumer Preview

My impressions? Well, it's going to be a long, long (or maybe not) list:
  • Graphically, still fast as heck.
  • The scripting bug that's causing the drop-down menus in vB3 forums to fail is now fixed - and now I'm browsing forums with impunity
  • Oooooh, true CSS gradients, 3D transforms, animations, transitions, all assorted goodies, and stuff!
  • HTML5Test: 314 points out of 475 + 9 bonus with WebM MF
  • Browsing a lot of sites reveal a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle improvements in rendering quality and amount of effects
  • No sub-pixel antialiasing? This is a HUGE regression from any single past IE. Even IE6 did it all right.
  • HTML5 media controls are bigger and more usable.
  • DEM METRO-STYLE SCROLLBARS.
  • There is no more overscroll and virtual scrolling on combo boxes, at least if you're using a mouse. Nice!
  • Coolest combo box effect and tooltips ever on a browser. Even the Windows 8 desktop itself still uses Windows Vista-style tooltips. IE10 is doing its own thing.
  • You know these sites that were made with Netscape Composer and made with Gecko's quirks mode in mind? IE10 now renders them fine thanks to a replacement Quirks mode that works more like other browsers'.
  • Seems like the Internet properties dialog got a bit of a makeover even in Desktop IE.
  • Text shadow support = nice, but text shadow with spread? No more four-shadow hacks for outlines?!
  • Rest in peace, conditional comments. (I blame FREEZE for putting the ICO file in a conditional comment in the VRIM source.)
  • Rest in peace, DX Transforms and Visual Filters. ...Not that we would need them anyway in IE10, since we have CSS3 for everything there now!