Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 29, 2014, 05:52:20 PM
Kyurem

Default So Mega Rayquaza is banned from Ubers

Well i guess smogon has banned Mega Rayquaza from ubers to the new and improved tier: The "Anything goes tier". So hes the first banned from Ubers, i can undetstand tho, a mega that can use items is to OP. I kinda figured this would happen.

So basicly we got a No endless battle clause, a No evasion clause, a No species clause, u name it.
Old November 29, 2014, 05:54:20 PM
Keldeo

Me and some other people were talking about this like two years ago.

I like the Uber tier. Sometimes it's fun to just use your stupidly overpowered Groudon and Palkia and Arceus and whatever other fancy tools they have in that tier nowadays, but it's also nice to have balance and there are some things that just upset that balance, even around the stupidly overpowered Groudon and Palkia and Arceus.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 29, 2014 at 06:09:06 PM.
Old November 29, 2014, 06:04:52 PM
Administrator

I want a lolsmogon clause.
Old November 29, 2014, 07:08:32 PM
Keldeo

I mean, I guess that is basically VGC. They even have a Free Battle mode on Battle Spot that throws away most of the VGC restrictions.
Old November 29, 2014, 07:35:08 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I want a lolsmogon clause.
Playing Devil's Advocate:

Smogon is like an unfavorable programming language. Let's say Assembly because that is complete BS to deal with. It has its flaws and it's so basic that it just can't properly be applied to each situation. That's where the high level interpretation comes in. We can mold what Smogon has already done for us into something useable and a thousand times more effective. However, you know you wouldn't rewrite your own tier list from scratch, nor would you automatically go full liberal and say "Screw it, everything goes and have fun!" Smogon's done the hard part for you, now from that you can form something that's your own, like the Victory Road Rules (something I bet that you still haven't done.)
Old November 29, 2014, 07:59:03 PM
Administrator

Nah, I mostly laugh at those who are true Smogonites who follow their rules to a T, and I especially laugh at those who lack creativity and follow their movesets and team structures enough to have cookie cutter teams. How many times can you see Talonflame on Battle Spot before it gets boring and typical? It reminds me too much of the boring Smash Bros. players who gave rise to the "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination" meme.
Old November 29, 2014, 08:02:21 PM
Kyurem

Besides there playing lv100 all the time so they dont understand how pokemon are like at lv50 in singles.
Old November 29, 2014, 08:10:46 PM
Keldeo

Well, everywhere you go on the Internet you're going to have the No Items, Fox Only people. Ran into plenty of them who are that way about VGC, too. But I think most people are willing to mod the Smogon sets to some degree and would let you use a Blaziken in an OU battle if you asked, it's just the minority of stiff people who make up most of the noise.

True about Talonflame, though. I don't get how it's still so popular, it must have several dozen established counters at this point in Gen 6. Probably more, now that we have the ORAS megas.

(Also not sure about ranked battles but in Free mode you run into far more Darkrai and Xerneas than Talonflame. You should try it someday :^) )
Old November 29, 2014, 08:13:04 PM
Volcarona

I'm still using Mega Rayquaza in any Victory Road Uber battles.... Sorry, but I'm highly against the whole banning from Ubers idea.
Old November 29, 2014, 08:14:18 PM
Keldeo

Oh fiddlesticks, now I have to go make a real Uber team to fight you with . . .
Old November 29, 2014, 08:17:43 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Nah, I mostly laugh at those who are true Smogonites who follow their rules to a T, and I especially laugh at those who lack creativity and follow their movesets and team structures enough to have cookie cutter teams. How many times can you see Talonflame on Battle Spot before it gets boring and typical? It reminds me too much of the boring Smash Bros. players who gave rise to the "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination" meme.
How many times can you do anything before it gets boring and typical?

They follow those rules to a T for a reason any sensible person would: because they work. Even with the movesets. A meringue is made by whipping egg whites, and until people want to find another more interesting or more effective way of making a meringue they'll keep whipping egg whites. I'll admit that when I don't know what direction to go with when making a Pokémon I consult Smogon for some guidance. I don't follow it to a T, I still like having some creativity, but even those who do still have to put in work to get up there. And if they beat me, I wouldn't laugh at them for using some cookie cutter team, I could only do that if I prove myself better. It's like making a terrible paper airplane but still parading around because you didn't print yours from an online template.

And, continuing use of metaphor, there's nothing wrong with using a cookie cutter if you're afraid of making horridly ugly cookies. You just can't pass it off as your own invention. (Again, hypocritical because I even criticize people for using cookie cutters and box cake.)
Old November 29, 2014, 09:37:13 PM
Kyurem

Heck when i get myself a mega rayquaza im using it too But still they have trouble dealing with M-Quaza for some reason, i bet i'd find a way to beat it even if irs Ice/Rock weakeness is gone.
Old November 30, 2014, 01:16:03 AM
Kyurem

The only rules I follow are the rules that are stuck in the games themselves. Anything else goes in there so long as I'm not limited by my game.

Competitive battling can be such a mess, anyway. (I prefer Triples. Almost nobody does that. >.<)
Old November 30, 2014, 06:15:46 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Competitive battling can be such a mess, anyway. (I prefer Triples. Almost nobody does that. >.<)
Whoa, I thought I was the only one who did that . . .
Old November 30, 2014, 06:52:27 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
Whoa, I thought I was the only one who did that . . .
Aww.

Even Single Battles would be more fun if it was "Bring 6, choose 3, Team Preview".
Old November 30, 2014, 08:38:24 AM
Keldeo

Pretty much, the main reason I got into Triples in BW in the first place was that I like to be able to use all 6 of the Pokémon on my team in random matchup instead of the 3 for singles and 4 for doubles.
Old November 30, 2014, 09:22:47 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
How many times can you do anything before it gets boring and typical?

They follow those rules to a T for a reason any sensible person would: because they work. Even with the movesets. A meringue is made by whipping egg whites, and until people want to find another more interesting or more effective way of making a meringue they'll keep whipping egg whites. I'll admit that when I don't know what direction to go with when making a Pokémon I consult Smogon for some guidance. I don't follow it to a T, I still like having some creativity, but even those who do still have to put in work to get up there. And if they beat me, I wouldn't laugh at them for using some cookie cutter team, I could only do that if I prove myself better. It's like making a terrible paper airplane but still parading around because you didn't print yours from an online template.

And, continuing use of metaphor, there's nothing wrong with using a cookie cutter if you're afraid of making horridly ugly cookies. You just can't pass it off as your own invention. (Again, hypocritical because I even criticize people for using cookie cutters and box cake.)
Thank you Turt. Could nto have said it better myself.
Old November 30, 2014, 11:40:46 AM
Administrator

I'm a fan of Doubles myself, only because certain tricks that are common in Singles just don't fly in Doubles, and prediction is paramount when there are two possible Pokémon that can be attacked. Triples make that even more hectic, but a few particular moves (Tailwind) are broken in Triples.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 30, 2014 at 11:41:12 AM.
Old November 30, 2014, 12:00:57 PM
Keldeo

I swear, they ban anything, they should ban Cresselia from Triples. Even with no attacking moves it's probably the only reason I ever win with things like Yanmega and Gallade against Ubers.
Old November 30, 2014, 02:57:53 PM
Administrator

Default lolsmogon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Playing Devil's Advocate:
I missed my opportunity to respond with this:

Spoiler Alert:    
Which, by the way, is the entire reason this debate exists. 

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 30, 2014 at 02:58:32 PM. Reason: lolholly
Old November 30, 2014, 04:10:56 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
I missed my opportunity to respond with this:

Spoiler Alert:    
Which, by the way, is the entire reason this debate exists. 
Turt wasnt wrong though... He made a very good point. No one agrees with every decosion or rule that Smogon makes. However, a lot are quick to completely bash it when they do not even know a great deal about it. Whether you like it or not, Smogon has the intention of providing order to competitive battling. If you don't like them, you do not have to play by their rules. Hearing everyone constantly bash them for the same reasons gets old.
Old November 30, 2014, 04:11:38 PM
Administrator

Nah, I'm just bashing them to be Devil's Advocate here. I just get tired of hearing folks treat Smogon as a holy deity.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 30, 2014 at 04:12:11 PM.
Old November 30, 2014, 04:47:15 PM
Volcarona

Who on Earth does that??? Even die-hard Smogon players disagree with a lot of Smogon's bans/policies/rules.
Old November 30, 2014, 05:22:49 PM
Keldeo

Most people who actually know what's going on and follow the news and stuff disagree with Smogon somewhere or another. Some people think PranksterSwagger ban is dumb, some people think they should do something about, idk, Aegislash. I highly doubt even their inner circle agree on everything all the time.

Following anything blindly is a really, really bad idea unless you really know what's going on.
Old November 30, 2014, 06:42:58 PM
Kyurem

Plus they ban stuff before the cartridge players get the chance to try it out ourselfs. I bet if they actually tryed making a team on cartridge, they would see how wrong they are most the time.
Old November 30, 2014, 08:47:52 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
Plus they ban stuff before the cartridge players get the chance to try it out ourselfs. I bet if they actually tryed making a team on cartridge, they would see how wrong they are most the time.
what?
Old November 30, 2014, 10:45:50 PM
Regigigas

I knew it'd be OP, but I was thinking it would have a stone of it's own. Didn't know you could slap a Life Orb or whatever on that sucker.

I don't really have an opinion yet. Haven't read about it. I don't see why there's another tier about it. Why not just ban Dragon Ascent Rayquaza instead of creating a tier on it's own? Meh.
Old November 30, 2014, 11:07:29 PM
Administrator

I think I'm going to duck out of this thread because I've caused a fair bit of grief.
Old December 1, 2014, 10:20:32 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
I think I'm going to duck out of this thread because I've caused a fair bit of grief.
Yeahhhhhh i didnt execpt this thread to that far into detail.
Old January 3, 2015, 03:53:18 AM
Regigigas

Figured I'd partially bump this since Greninja is being suspected by Smogon. From my own experience, Scarf Greninja is freaking monster. I can't send anything out guaranteed save Blissey/Chansey or whatever SpDef wall you have. I can handle Life Orb Greninja easy. No problems. But once my own scarfer can't scare it away, I get into problems. I dunno about banning it, but is it centralizing the metagame? Yeah, I think so. Unless you're hyper-offensive priorty freak, Scarf Greninja will probably take your team down. It's coverage with Gunk Shot is like, Godly. Lol.

Edit: In honesty, if Steel didn't lose resistance to Dark, it'd probably be easier to check it. But then Metagross and Aegislash would be that much stronger. Gah!

Last edited by Sub-zero; January 3, 2015 at 04:01:49 AM.