Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire > Gen VI Competitive Battling

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 27, 2014, 04:27:25 PM
Keldeo

Default Smogon Discussion Thread

I feel like opening a bottle of soda that's been in the back of a bus for five hours, but unfortunately I don't have anything of the sort so I figured I'd just make this thread.

So, for those of you who don't know, Smogon is a web site dedicated to competitive Pokémon battling. Discuss. (I'll write a "real" post later when I have time.)

Edit: Oh yeah, standard forum rules apply, as in don't insult each others' mothers and don't say anything that you normally wouldn't on this forum.

Last edited by Reuniclus; March 19, 2015 at 01:43:03 PM. Reason: fixed something
Old July 27, 2014, 04:41:27 PM
Volcarona

I feel like this thread may start a few potential qualms so I am just going to say guys that I DO NOT agree with many of Smogon's bans BUT without it, we would not have many of the meta games that we have today. Keep that in mind before you bash it completely.
Old July 27, 2014, 05:39:02 PM
Kyurem

I just inform people on current & upcoming Smogon bans. Sometimes i dont mind, but when it sounds insane thats when i get concerned.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:24:34 AM
Regigigas

I respect them, but they seem a little dry at times. Some of them, anyways. It's boring when everyone just uses OU Pokemon just to have better probabilities at winning. A lot of these Smogon users just use OU Pokemon. I still don't understand why Terrakion is OU. That thing is a monster. Garchomp I can take with priority and efficient walling, but Terrakion. Nah. I've always had trouble with this Pokemon. I just don't like running one specific Pokemon for extremely common Pokemon, such as said and Talonflame.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:30:28 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero View Post
I respect them, but they seem a little dry at times. Some of them, anyways. It's boring when everyone just uses OU Pokemon just to have better probabilities at winning. A lot of these Smogon users just use OU Pokemon. I still don't understand why Terrakion is OU. That thing is a monster. Garchomp I can take with priority and efficient walling, but Terrakion. Nah. I've always had trouble with this Pokemon. I just don't like running one specific Pokemon for extremely common Pokemon, such as said and Talonflame.
I respect them too, but they just make me hate them so much sometimes. As for having trouble with pokemon in OU, the only mon that would be is T-Flame, the dang thing somehow barley takes any recoil from its attacks no matter how damage it does to me. I rather battle against Mega Kankhaskon-(Cant spell it) at least he was easier to deal with than T-flame. Most of my random teams i make either lose to T-flame (If i have no counters for it) or Mega Pinser & Mega charizard X.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:57:32 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero View Post
It's boring when everyone just uses OU Pokemon just to have better probabilities at winning.
Me too. But at the same time there's plenty of variety in the lower tiers . . . and at the same time as that, I just don't like a lot of the lower-tiered Pokémon because a lot of them don't do anything well enough to be really interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
I rather battle against Mega Kankhaskon-(Cant spell it) at least he was easier to deal with than T-flame. Most of my random teams i make either lose to T-flame (If i have no counters for it) or Mega Pinser & Mega charizard X.
Not that I had too much of a problem dealing with Talonflame (80 attack backing a base-120 move is still 80 attack, even banded) but Kanga never seemed to be Uber to me, either. Maybe because using it well requires a lot of good prediction or something. Ferrothorn walls it to death, and a number of other physical Steels can take at least a turn, probably two, of Power-up Punch before they really feel anything, either.
Old August 8, 2014, 11:21:07 PM
Zoroark

Ok, this isn't concerning to anything related to tiers, or Pokemon, but I hate how the new Smogon is styled. The Strategy Pokedex is plain ugly, and outdated browsers can't use it? I hate it. I hope it gets fixed. Maybe it's only on this computer/mobile devices, but I still hate it
Old August 9, 2014, 05:22:05 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
I respect them too, but they just make me hate them so much sometimes. As for having trouble with pokemon in OU, the only mon that would be is T-Flame, the dang thing somehow barley takes any recoil from its attacks no matter how damage it does to me. I rather battle against Mega Kankhaskon-(Cant spell it) at least he was easier to deal with than T-flame. Most of my random teams i make either lose to T-flame (If i have no counters for it) or Mega Pinser & Mega charizard X.
I haven't gone against those 2 as much, but I carry MManectric ALL the time, so Pinser is usually not a problem for me. I love MManectric. <3 So probably the same for Talonflame. I only have a greater probability of losing to Talonflame when I see they aren't banded. Then I get a little worried cause of Tailwind and whatnot. Kangaskahn is different, though. It can get boosts while attacking and access to priority without having to worry about it's defenses, typing, or recoil. By the time I wanted to revenge kill it, it was already at +4 and just Sucker Punched the rest of my team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
Me too. But at the same time there's plenty of variety in the lower tiers . . . and at the same time as that, I just don't like a lot of the lower-tiered Pokémon because a lot of them don't do anything well enough to be really interesting.
Indeed. D: Well, it's still fun when those lower tiered Pokemon win against a team which consists of OU Pokemon. Just gotta have fun! D:
Old February 9, 2015, 04:34:02 PM
Volcarona

Mega Metagross is currently being suspected.
Old February 9, 2015, 06:37:18 PM
Giratina

For those who haven't seen the new tier updates, tiers are now based on usage. Read http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads...-2015.3528836/ for more information. These are the changes, bolded ones are the main important ones (imo):

Celebi moved from UU to OU
Heracross moved from OU to UU
Armaldo moved from NU to PU
Pidgeot moved from RU to UU
Gligar moved from RU to UU
Heliolisk moved from RU to NU
Glalie moved from NU to RU
Salamence moved from OU to UU
Manaphy moved from BL to OU
Torkoal moved from NU to PU
Sceptile moved from RU to UU
Terrakion moved from OU to UU
Pawniard moved from NU to PU
Diancie moved from UU to OU
Serperior moved from BL2 to UU
Quagsire moved from RU to NU
Virizion moved from RU to NU
Claydol moved from RU to NU
Mawile moved from RU to NU
Raikou moved from UU to OU
Kabutops moved from NU to RU
Musharna moved from BL4 to NU
Bouffalant moved from PU to NU
Scyther moved from PU to NU
Pinsir moved from OU to UU
Jirachi moved from UU to OU
Probopass moved from NU to PU
Accelgor moved from NU to RU
Starmie moved from UU to OU
Old February 9, 2015, 09:08:13 PM
Keldeo

I think I might have posted this somewhere else on this forum already, but I never thought I'd be alive to see (vanilla) Salamence and Pidgeot in the same tier.
Old February 9, 2015, 11:24:47 PM
Kyurem

Whats PU tier? Stinky tier lol
Old March 29, 2015, 12:39:58 PM
Volcarona

So.... Giratina-O is being suspect tested for Smogon's Overused tier.... thoughts?
Old March 29, 2015, 12:44:14 PM
Keldeo

Never thought I'd see it happen, but now that I think about it, I rarely see either forms of Giratina in Uber without being part of a gimmic team so it doesn't entirely surprise me.
Old March 29, 2015, 05:34:54 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
Never thought I'd see it happen, but now that I think about it, I rarely see either forms of Giratina in Uber without being part of a gimmic team so it doesn't entirely surprise me.
Yea same. Also I kind of like the idea because it's the opposite of Smogon's typical ban-happy manner. Another thing, Giratina-O does a nice job checking a lot of the over-centralizing Pokemon in the current meta game such as Landorus-I, Keldeo, Mega Manectirc, Starmie, and many more!!!
Old March 29, 2015, 08:51:06 PM
Keldeo

Both forms were some of the best not-Lugia walls in BW, unfortunately the generation shift did not do nice things to it but 150/100/100 defenses are still no joke.

Oh yeah and STAB Griseous Orb Shadow Force hits like a bloody train, even if you resist it.
Old April 1, 2015, 11:06:57 AM
Volcarona

Giratina-O suspect was an April Fools joke. Sigh, I saw it coming, but I had really hoped it wasn't a joke

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; April 1, 2015 at 01:02:15 PM.
Old April 1, 2015, 11:17:20 AM
Keldeo

Same. Guess it's back being to something we'll see like twice a year.

Also imo a better joke would have been suspecting Dunsparce or Primal Kyogre or something but whatever.
Old April 18, 2015, 11:05:54 AM
Volcarona

Hey guys! I know the forum has been pretty inactive lately, but I wanted to share with you guys an RMT. It's of a really fun and surprisingly solid team I built around the very uncommon yet awesome Mega Steelix!

Intro

I've been wanting to do this for a long time so I'm finally gonna go for it. When building teams, I get an especially huge thrill from successfully using some of my favorite Pokemon despite some of their low viability in the OU tier. Upon the first day of Mega Steelix's reveal, I knew I wanted to build a team around it and its fantastic design. I decided that the best way to utilize Mega Steelix was as a bulky attacker that can reliably set up hazards as well! I also found that Mega Steelix's combination of bulk, power, and coverage made it a pretty nice fit for a Trick Room team! So I went ahead and built a fairly competent Trick Room team around one of my favorite megas, Mega Steelix. It is by no means a great team. It gets worn down fairly easily and many times requires aggressive playing to really perform well. However, it can catch people off guard, and it is a LOT of fun in my opinion! Let's hop into the squad.

Team In Depth Analysis

Steelix-Mega Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 Def
Nature: Brave
IVs: 0 Speed
-Stealth Rock
-Heavy Slam
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang/Stone Edge

Look at that design. So damn cool. Despite being for the most part inferior to Mega Camerupt under Trick Room and Mega Aggron in general, I found that Mega Steelix is actually somewhat underrated and even possesses a few tricks up its sleeve. As shown by Excadrill, Steel/Ground STAB can be very effective in the OU meta. The reason I opted for Heavy Slam over Gyro Ball is because Mega Steelix is so absurdly heavy that Heavy Slam is pretty reliably at its full 120 BP as opposed to Gyro Ball being much less consistent and only having 8 PP. Earthquake hits nearly everything that resists Heavy Slam for solid damage. I originally used Stone Edge for flying types like Zapdos, Gyarados, and Talonflame, but I found that Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn were exceptionally difficult for my team to handle, so I had slightly more success using Fire Fang. I often lead with Steelix because it can set up rocks, hit taunters or opposing hazard setters very hard, and also because of how difficult it is to OHKO. Its massive physical bulk, even when un-invested, allows it to take on the majority of physical attackers. Lastly, it cleans up unprepared teams surprisingly well.

Cresselia (F) @Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 Sp Def
Nature: Relaxed
-Trick Room
-Moon Blast
-Moonlight
-Lunar Dance

Cresselia is the premier Trick Room setter of the team. There may be more optimal EV spreads out there, but the one I used worked well enough. Mental Herb is essential as it allows me to lead against taunt users and still set up TR. Her massive physical bulk allows her to eat up hits from threats as powerful as Bisharp and M-Metagross and reliably set up Trick Room multiple times per game. Moonblast is for chip damage, Moonlight to aid me in setting up more Trick Rooms, and Lunar Dance is one of the key moves of the team, allowing me to heal up a heavy hitter and plow through teams.

Crawdaunt @Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 Def
Nature: Brave
-Crabhammer
-Knock Off
-Superpower
-Aqua Jet

The star of the team. This monster deals huge damage to EVERYTHING that is not Chesnaught. Adaptability plus very high powered stabs, good coverage in Superpower plus priority in aqua jet allows Crawdaunt to put major dents in teams. A little playful prediction with this thing has many a time put me in a great position to win. I opted for Superpower over Swords Dance for an immediate way to deal heavy damage to Keldeo, and reliably knock out mons like Heatran and Bisharp reliably without having to rely on Crabhammer's 90% accuracy. Crawdaunt is in my opinion the most threatening Pokeon under Trick Room and is usually the one I look to pass a Lunar Dance to.

Porygon2 @Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Sp Def/ 8 Sp Atk
Nature: Sassy
-Trick Room
-Recover
-Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
-Tri Attack/Thunderbolt

Porygon2 and its incredible special bulk allows it to tank hits extremely well and set up Trick Room multiple times a game like Cresselia. People usually use more offensive P2 sets on Trick Room teams, but being that my team is relatively frail and that ORAS has brought a plethora of powerful new threats, I opted to maximize its special bulk to better compliment Cresselia. Download helps P2 have slightly better offensive presence. Tri Attack deals solid damage and Ice Beam wrecks the ever common Landorus I/T, Gliscor, Garchomp, and even Dragonite. Thunderbolt + Tri Attack allows P2 to not be walled as hard by Steel types and Tbolt + Ice Beam provides the coveted boltbeam coverage.

Dragalge @Choice Specs/Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Sp Atk/ 8 Sp Def
Nature: Quiet
-Draco Meteor
-Sludge Wave
-Focus Blast/Scald
-Scald/Dragon Pulse

This thing is a monster with Adaptability. Choice Specs is the preferred item as the extra power allows Dragalge to maul nearly everything that isn't a Fairy Type. The issue with Dragalge is that its dual STAB Dragon/Poison is completely ineffective against Fairy and Steel respectively, causing unnecessary mind games on which move to use. Life Orb helps fix this problem, but as I mentioned earlier, this team is easily worn down by the likes of entry hazards and lack of reliable recovery on 60% of the team members. Without Dragalge, the team is very weak to Specs Keldeo, which is another reason I feared taking Life Orb recoil over Choice Specs. When using Dragalge, you're mostly going to be mindlessly clicking Draco Meteor and sometimes Sludge Wave. Dragon Pulse can help sweep but Focus Blast and Scald add nice coverage and allow Dragalge to get a solid hit on teams with Fairy and Steel cores.

Cofagrigus Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Sp Atk/ 8 Def
Nature: Quiet
-Trick Room
-Nasty Plot
-Shadow Ball
-Destiny Bond/ Will-o-Wisp/ Dark Pulse

The offensive Trick Room user of the team. +2 Cofagrigus is pretty scary as normal type is uncommon in OU bar Chansey. Cof can reliably set up Trick Room once a game and put some offensive pressure on opposing teams with Nasty Plot + Shadow Ball + Destiny Bond. Destiny Bond is the preferred option in the last slot as it has gotten me many important KO's on unprepared opponents. Also, Mummy can be a surprisingly useful ability against the likes of Scizor, Azumarill and many Megas such as Altaria, Pinsir, and the uncommon Glalie which are all greatly hindered by the Mummy ability.

Conclusion

So there's the team! Once again, I am not claiming that it's a great team, or even a good one. It's just a fun team and play style built around one of my favorite Megas that can hold its own and catch players off guard. I'm not sure if I will use this team much any more, but regardless, feel free to leave any feedback you'd like as I'd love to improve this team for my own use and mainly for anyone else who may have any interest in using it! Really hope you enjoyed.

-Oh yeah, Aegislash is being retested for OU and it's not just an April Fools prank this time.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; April 18, 2015 at 05:59:51 PM.
Old April 20, 2015, 10:11:17 AM
Kyurem

I wonder if aegislash will actually stay OU or not this time.