Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old February 23, 2014, 11:51:44 AM

Default Toughest Champion?

We've seen 6 generations of Pokemon as of now, each one having a champion (unless you count Ghetsis as one from B/W). Which one do you think was the toughest to beat? Ranking all of the champions in terms of toughness also works.

1. Cynthia from DP: A level 66 Garchomp!? There's no doubt she got into the Salty Spitoon. There was such a huge level jump from the 8th gym leader to the Champion (I think it was from 49 to 66). My Pokemon were around level 59 when I fought her. All of her Pokemon have 31 IVs in EVERY stat. I nearly lost to her the first time because I had to spam over 30 revives to keep my Pokemon alive.

2. Wallace from Emerald: His Milotic wasn't the problem for me, it was his stupid Ludicolo. His Ludicolo in particular has Double Team, Leech Seed, Toxic, and Surf. This thing was so annoying; it spammed Double Team and I didn't have anything with Shock Wave to hit it. It was the ultimate Toxic-seed staller. I literally had to wait until it used Struggle to kill itself.

3. Lance from GSC: So many dragons... This mostly applies to the first time I played through Gold version. I mostly used Lapras in my fight against him because it had Ice Beam. What made this fight so tough was that my Lapras died against his last Dragonite when it used Hyper Beam. The only Pokemon I had left was Togetic and its strongest attack was Headbutt; which was just enough to take off the tiny sliver of health Dragonite had left while it was stuck recharging.

4. Iris from BW2: She wasn't that tough, but that Haxorus of hers can be devestating if you let it set up Dragon Dances. I found her to be a lot tougher than Alder.

5. Diantha from XY: She was quite easy to defeat, her Pokemon are either too slow to do anything or too frail to take hits. The only reason she isn't at the bottom is because of her Mega Gardevoir

6. Gary from RBY: I just found his team to be very easy to beat. His team would've been better if his Pokemon had better moves. I remember sweeping his whole team with Clefable.
Old February 23, 2014, 12:30:50 PM
Administrator

I particularly remember having a LOT of trouble with the Ruby/Sapphire champion when you found him in a cave in Emerald. (I THINK that was Steven.) As for champions that came after the Elite Four, I had trouble with Lance, and that was mostly due to my lack of knowledge about Dragon being weak to Ice. I think the biggest thing that made any of the champions troublesome was not having a balanced team, or rather not having been lucky enough to raise a team with the right Pokémon (assuming you didn't research the champion first).
Old February 23, 2014, 01:14:50 PM
Giratina

For me I'd have to say Sinnoh Champion Cynthia. Not only do I love her more than any other Pokémon character(<3), she was the first champion I ever faced and the very reason I didn't beat Diamond for like an entire year. Part of the reason was because I didn't have any fighting Pokémon other than Infernape. The rest were sacrifices for my Revives. Platinum was a better chance since I had a better idea of her team and trained 6 Pokémon individually. Aside from my personal problems, her team was built of perfect Sinnoh representative powerhouses with maximum potential and probably deviously EV trained. She's a threat to a novice and a challenge for a veteran.

I don't remember the others too well, but I'd give mentions to Steven Stone and Lance. I can't remember it too well, but I'm pretty sure Steven Stone wiped out 10 Pokémon when I first fought him, and each time I replayed Ruby he retained difficulty. Lance was crazy, he had 3 underleveled Dragonite. I thought the worst was over when I took one out, but then he pulled out ANOTHER so I just had to give up. On my Japanese HG I had Ho-Oh to help take him out, but on the English one it was a bit more of a struggle (that's when I developed my no legendaries policy.)

Green was cool for his time, buuut ranking him he'd definitely come last. Plus, his team is ultra predictable because you've been fighting him all game (and then he was demoted to gym leader.) Wallace is underserving. I can't stand him. All who I didn't mention I rank as being neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I particularly remember having a LOT of trouble with the Ruby/Sapphire champion when you found him in a cave in Emerald. (I THINK that was Steven.)
Duh, OF COURSE it was Steven Stone. Who else would it be? Wally?

Last edited by TurtwigX; February 23, 2014 at 01:15:18 PM.
Old February 23, 2014, 01:16:59 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
1. Cynthia from DP
2. Wallace from Emerald
3. Lance from GSC
4. Iris from BW2
5. Diantha from XY
6. Gary from RBY
I notice a lack of Alder/Ghetsis and Steven Stone on that list?

1. Cynthia
Cynthia didn't just power creep my team, she had a legitimately annoying team without resorting to Double Team and whatever. Milotic, Togekiss, Roserade, Lucario, Garchomp and even Spiritomb are all really good Pokémon even when I'm not facing them with an in-game and even when they don't have perfect IVs.
Oh, and did I mention Garchomp? Perfect neutral coverage sucks when your opponent has it.

2. Lance
Lance, on the other hand, is exactly what dev advisers tell you not to do with a video game. For those of you who don't know, Johto's level curve was basically the opposite of Kalos' so much that you could fight every NPC trainer and be Level 35 when you entered the Elite Four anyway. Meanwhile, Lance is packing three underleveled Dragonite in the mid-to-upper 40s. Somewhat of a disappointing Champion, yes, but one that's really hard to beat nonetheless.

By the way, Lance? Kingdra exists. And Kingdra is a hell of a lot harder to fight than Charizard.

3. Alder
I can't quite put my finger on this one. None of his Pokémon except for Volcarona and maybe Escavalier are terribly statistically impressive, but they counter in-game really well. Druddigon and Bouffalant have just enough defense to drive you crazy, Vanniluxe has just enough SpA to hurt you with Blizzard and Flash Cannon.

4. Iris
Dragon spam doesn't work quite well in new Unova as it did in Johto. That, and the Pokémon League levels seemed lower in this game comparatively than they did before, or maybe that's just because we get the Lucky Egg. Regardless, I applaud her Focus Sash/Dragon Dance/Hyper Potion strategey.

5. Diantha
Wait, she was the Champion?

Currently sitting around 7 Badges in Hoenn and I probably won't ever play a Kanto game.
Old February 23, 2014, 01:25:48 PM
Celebi

1. Cynthia D/P/PT: THAT GARCHOMP....and If it wasn't Garchomp it was her Lucario destroying my Team. My Extremely Bulky Dusknoir burned it and was Easily 2HKO'd. So I had to Stall out everything. End results being 17 Full Restores.

2. Lance G/S/C: One thing and one thing Only. 3 Lvl 50 Dragonites. Bulky. Strong. Annoying Dragonites

3. Iris B/W2: Well. Not tough the 1st time. But her Rematches with her Dragon Dancing Haxorus of Doom With Focus Sash, after 2 Dragon Dances can sweep your team entirely

4. Gary R/B/Y: Well mostly in Red and Blue. He wasn't difficult although his team was VERY Balanced, but when Lance is Harder than the champion....yeah.

5. Diantha X/Y: Aegislash Plus any Dragon Destroys her team. Even with Mega Gardevoir, it goes down really REALLY easily
Old February 23, 2014, 01:26:24 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
I notice a lack of Alder/Ghetsis and Steven Stone on that list?
Ghetsis shouldn't be on that list. Champion is short for Pokémon League Champion, something that he certainly is not. He's just the final boss. If anything, N's the champion cause he crushed Alder. Alder himself could also be argued from a story perspective, since he was built up as the champion you were gonna face but then boom goes Team Plasma, but he's recognized by the PWT as a champion. Can't argue with that.

Steven Stone's absence is unacceptable and unforgiven. Shame.

Quote:
5. Diantha
Wait, she was the Champion?
That's pretty much how I felt when I beat her. And when I entered the room it was more "Umm, but who are you?"
Old February 23, 2014, 01:43:55 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Ghetsis shouldn't be on that list. Champion is short for Pokémon League Champion, something that he certainly is not. He's just the final boss. If anything, N's the champion cause he crushed Alder. Alder himself could also be argued from a story perspective, since he was built up as the champion you were gonna face but then boom goes Team Plasma, but he's recognized by the PWT as a champion. Can't argue with that.
That's debatable. The main game in Black and White ended with Ghetsis.
Old February 23, 2014, 02:20:24 PM

1. Lance (G/S/C), because even though I had the knowledge of Dragons being weak to Ice, that didn't change the fact I either had very low leveled pokemon with Ice moves...or no Ice moves/Ice types at all. His three Dragonites was murderer's row for quite awhile. His Charizard wasn't fun to handle either. I think I lost to him two or three times at first before finally winning.

2. Gary (R/B/Y), yeah yeah yeah....typical nostalgia-influenced selection. But for first time players like me, when you were 6 years old playing Pokemon Blue for the first time ever, beating Lance and thinking you were finally done...only to be notified that Gary was waiting for you...I can still remember my initial aggravation. It's no surprise why Gary is the original troll of the Pokemon universe. His actual team wasn't THAT hard, but it was more or less the endurance of having yet another battle to overcome after the false sense of victory.

3. Iris (BW2), by this time in my life, I know all the ins and outs of playing pokemon and all the type advantages and stuff. So, I came with as good of a team as I can to prepare with all sorts of type coverage and all that jazz. That didn't change the fact her team was annoying as heck, and was a bit higher leveled than I anticipated. I still managed to beat her my first time, but it wasn't without struggles and a couple tense moments.

4. Wallace (Emerald), all because of one pokemon. Milotic. On my first playthrough of Sapphire, I had chosen Torchic as my starter and had no electric or grass types on my team. I had something with Shock Wave, but that was pretty much it. Taking down this tank was the only troublesome part, as I pretty much coasted through the rest of his team. Still won my first time, but that Milotic is a pain.

5. Cynthia (D/P/Pt), this might be a shock to see her very low on my list, but I surprisingly had next to no problems with her. Cynthia's team is diverse, which many regard as being difficult, but since I too had a diverse team, I simply countered her every move. I had a pokemon ready and waiting to take down whatever she had next. Garchomp? Say hi to glaceon's Ice Beam. Roserade? Infernape Flare Blitz'd it to ashes. The only pokemon on her team I wasn't able to KO almost immediately was Spiritomb, but even that did little to make the battle a hard one.

6. Diantha (X/Y), More or less the same to me as Cynthia, but only this time with even less of a challenge. I had an almost perfect battle against her. Not even Mega Gardevior scared me, because after I was able to take a Psychic, all it took was one Sludge Bomb from my Mega Venusaur to take it down.

Last edited by Cyrus; February 23, 2014 at 02:22:51 PM.
Old February 23, 2014, 02:55:18 PM
Giratina

Quote:
That's debatable. The main game in Black and White ended with Ghetsis.
Debatable, but only if you look at it from a story's perspective. If you see the champion as just the last trainer of the main story, then Ghetsis ripped the title away from Alder. A Pokémon League Champion is the head of the regional league in rank who either inherits the title or earns it by defeating the Elite Four and previous champion (if there is one.) Every player character applies, but they turn it down to continue their adventure (Except Red, apparently.) That doesn't apply to Ghetsis who didn't fight anyone but the player character, so he is the endgame boss. N would be more qualified but he was also defeated. Plus, while you can only battle Ghetsis once in each game, Alder can be fought infinitely, and N has seasonal rebattles in BW2.