Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 6, 2010, 04:46:46 PM
Volcarona

Default Very Random Question

Does a disassembly of any Pokémon game exist? Like, a file containing all the game's code before it's assembled? Because if there isn't, I'll try to make one.

EDIT: Basic documentation can be found here

Last edited by randoguy101; May 6, 2010 at 07:23:50 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 04:54:06 PM
Rayquaza

I don't think there is.
Old May 6, 2010, 04:58:12 PM
Volcarona

If that's the case, which game is hacked the most? I kind of want this to be useful to a majority of people.
Old May 6, 2010, 05:08:33 PM
Zoroark

the game thats hacked the most is most likely Chaos Black. Its a fan-made game and I play it on the VBA
Old May 6, 2010, 05:10:23 PM
Volcarona

No, I mean, which Pokémon game do people use to hack the most?
Old May 6, 2010, 05:24:11 PM
Haxorus

I think that they're Pokemon Emerald/FireRed.
Old May 6, 2010, 05:42:46 PM
Rayquaza

It's usually fire red.
Old May 6, 2010, 05:45:08 PM
Kyurem

FireRed is most stable, but Emerald has the benefits of the real time clock, among other things. Chaos Black is a piece of **** regardless.

As for your question, I'm not entire sure what you mean. Do you mean the source of the game or the binary code or...?
Old May 6, 2010, 05:49:34 PM
Volcarona

The source code for the game, and I'll try and make it easily patchable as well, but that'll be difficult.

Basically, like SMW's all.log
Old May 16, 2010, 01:41:03 PM
Volcarona

I've run into a problem. I can't find out where the game's header ends. Anyone happen to know?
Old May 16, 2010, 01:47:34 PM
Regigigas

It's usually FireRed/LeafGreen or Emerald.
Old May 16, 2010, 02:00:45 PM
Volcarona

Plz read entire thread before posting kthx

Anyway, I should probably explain what a header is before posting about it.

A header is the part of a ROM that is ignored by the assembler, but read by the console. It contains data such as what version the game is, the name of the game, the area released in, etc.

My ROM seems to have a header, as I found this:
Old May 17, 2010, 03:24:10 PM
Haxorus

Yeah, I don't know why, but Fire Red is the most popular victim for hacking... Mercury is being made from Ruby, cause I don't like hacking Fire Red for one.
Old May 17, 2010, 03:47:57 PM
Volcarona

Updated the RAM and Graphics Documentation a bit.
http://randomvids.net/romhacks/pokem...umentation.txt
And I really need help with the header problem before I can start the project.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:22:24 PM
Volcarona

I'M ALMOST COMPLETELY SURE-ISH MAYBE THAT THE HEADER ENDS AT 0800:0800 PLEASE TELL ME IF I'M WRONG

ALSO, I'M BEGINNING TO ACTUALLY DISASSEMBLE STUFF

</CAPS>

EDIT: Hahaha, wow, ARM7 is pretty confusing with it's hexadecimals, but the opcodes are quite similar to the 65816. I'm gonna list down all of them and try to find a pattern in the hex.

Last edited by randoguy101; May 18, 2010 at 07:32:56 PM.
Old July 19, 2010, 12:36:55 PM
Volcarona

2 months, and I still haven't figured it out D:

I suppose it would be smarter to start with the GB/C games, as those are generally simpler in code and set basics for the rest of the series, so I'll be able to recognize things like catch rate when I begin to disassemble the GBA (and possibly DS) games.

Also the GB/C's proccessor isn't as confusing.

tl;dr I'll start the project with Pokemon Yellow, then move up to Crystal, then Emerald, then maybe Platinum.

e: incase the above statement didn't make it clear, I'm doing the third game of each gen because those work better than the first two

Last edited by randoguy101; July 19, 2010 at 12:37:46 PM.
Old July 19, 2010, 11:23:51 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by randoguy101 View Post
2 months, and I still haven't figured it out D:

I suppose it would be smarter to start with the GB/C games, as those are generally simpler in code and set basics for the rest of the series, so I'll be able to recognize things like catch rate when I begin to disassemble the GBA (and possibly DS) games.

Also the GB/C's proccessor isn't as confusing.

tl;dr I'll start the project with Pokemon Yellow, then move up to Crystal, then Emerald, then maybe Platinum.

e: incase the above statement didn't make it clear, I'm doing the third game of each gen because those work better than the first two
Take my advice as you will. Learn from it and stand by it, or simply discard it.

First of all, how recent is your Hex editor? Most older Hex editors [Like mine xD] aren't made to be patched; most Hex developers typically make them once, and begin another with more options, better programming dissection, ect... If you're fairly good with your Hex editor, I wouldn't recommend kicking up to a new program, keep with what you know.

As for moving from one game to another, that isn't necessarily the case. I wouldn't recommend moving from GB/C, then to GBA, and forth. While yes, the layout and embedding is similar, the overall coding isn't any more difficult nor diverse. It'll kinda be like playing Grand Theft Auto III to warm up for a round of Halo. Sure, they're both recent-gen games, but that doesn't make them any more similar.

If I were you, I'd simply stick to breaking Emerald open, and reconfigure what is able. The best way to find proper code for any individual value is changing it's color, in my opinion. I like adjusting the contract, hue, or transparency to find physical code, and breaking apart code to find un-accessibles.

Think of it this way though: if you are in fact the first person with this specific goal in mind, you could always post it in a few ROM forums, and coin the disassembled coding of Pokemon. :3

I'd take a crack at it, but quite frankly, I love these games to much to justify going all Technomancer on them. :c
Old July 24, 2010, 06:39:33 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by .name//Technomancer View Post
First of all, how recent is your Hex editor? Most older Hex editors [Like mine xD] aren't made to be patched; most Hex developers typically make them once, and begin another with more options, better programming dissection, ect... If you're fairly good with your Hex editor, I wouldn't recommend kicking up to a new program, keep with what you know.
VBA has a built in disassembly tool as well as a memory viewer; one of the main reasons I started the project was because I knew of an easy way to read the game.
As far as actually editing the game... I think I'm fine using xvi32.
Quote:
As for moving from one game to another, that isn't necessarily the case. I wouldn't recommend moving from GB/C, then to GBA, and forth. While yes, the layout and embedding is similar, the overall coding isn't any more difficult nor diverse. It'll kinda be like playing Grand Theft Auto III to warm up for a round of Halo. Sure, they're both recent-gen games, but that doesn't make them any more similar.
While I can certainly agree that moving from one platform to another will drastically change the way things are done (and can be done), the basic formulas of the game are repeated throughout the series in the sense that catching a level 5 Pidgey with a Poke Ball in Gold/Silver is the same as catching it in Ruby/Sapphire.

Besides, I feel there isn't enough information out there about Gen I and II!
Quote:
The best way to find proper code for any individual value is changing it's color, in my opinion. I like adjusting the contract, hue, or transparency to find physical code, and breaking apart code to find un-accessibles.
This is a very good idea that I may utilize.

Quote:
Think of it this way though: if you are in fact the first person with this specific goal in mind, you could always post it in a few ROM forums, and coin the disassembled coding of Pokemon. :3
It'd be nice if I had a little headway in the project before I get serious about it, though a little help would be nice...

owait
Quote:
I'd take a crack at it, but quite frankly, I love these games to much to justify going all Technomancer on them. :c
D: