Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Announcements

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 1, 2012, 06:01:08 PM
Administrator

Default Signature guidelines

Why and what?
Many forums allow users to put large images, both in resolution and data size, in their signatures. I'm not terribly fond of signatures being significantly larger than the contents of the posts to which they are attached, especially when scrolling down long pages.

The following tags are not allowed in signatures:
[img]
[youtube]
[youtubewide]
[div]
[float]
[span]
[list]
[code]
[php]
[html]
[table]
[ani]
[avatar]
[audio]
[spoiler]

In addition, your signature may have no more than five lines and 750 characters of text including BB Code (550 excluding BB Code). The maximum font size is 3.

Uploading an image
Users are permitted to upload a single image for usage in their signature. The constraints of this image are 100 KB and 600×100 pixels. Animated GIFs are permitted as long as they aren't overly distracting. To upload an image, go to the signature editor and locate the image uploading panel below the box.

VRAC pets
The previous method of embedding pets is no longer appropriate here on Victory Road. In lieu of it, we have prepared a mutable BB Code specifically for its use, so if it is necessary to change the structure, we can do so to all on-site embeds. The new image is much smaller and compact, allowing for greater flexibility. Note that this tag only works on Victory Road, so please use the standard BB Code and HTML embed methods as appropriate elsewhere.

Option 1
Code:
[adopt]####[/adopt]
Manually replace the #### with the ID value of pet(s) you want to embed.

Option 2
Visit the My Pets page on VRAC while logged in. Tick the boxes to the left of all pets you wish to embed. At the bottom, choose "Embed codes > Get VR" to generate a single line of pets to embed in your signature.

Disclaimer
Administrators and moderators will replace signatures with a warning if they are found to be a disruption or in violation to these rules. If something has been removed from your signature by an administrator or moderator, you may not put it back in.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 30, 2014 at 11:37:29 AM.
Old May 2, 2012, 01:00:52 AM
Administrator

The signature guidelines will be posted sometime on Wednesday, then I'll remove that notice atop the forum and merge this post with the previous one. The guidelines will include information on inserting a signature banner and fixing your adoption links as well as the new limits. Again, please don't really bother with your signature for now unless you plan to keep it simple.

Thank you,
Cat

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 2, 2012 at 01:01:24 AM.
Old May 2, 2012, 05:20:37 AM
Kyurem

I kinda doubt that my signature will be affected.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:36:58 AM
Administrator

The guidelines have been posted above. If you have any questions, please ask.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:25:38 AM
Volcarona

Well that completely broke my signature. I have updated it to the new guidelines.
Old May 2, 2012, 01:22:01 PM
Regigigas

Really, Cat? I didn't really see any problems with the signatures. They were organized, easy to use, and nobody ever complained about them.
Yeah, the Youtube codes weren't used a lot, and div was entirely banned, but why, in the name of all common sense, would you remove IMG and Spoiler? Those were easily the two most-frequently used codes on the site, and especially in signatures. This sudden change is an inconvenience to everyone that uses the signatures, moreso than the previous signatures. Also, a few hundred-kilobyte images? Big deal. I know the servers aren't powerhouse war-machines, but I think they can handle images that are a bit larger than a handful of kilobytes.
In addition, this signature adaptation has essentially derailed the various signature-creators and spriters of Victory Road's community, due to the new one-image-per-signature rule. At least increase the limit to 3 images per signature, or just re-allow the IMG code with a few small modifications. I know you don't want 3000-pixel images in signatures, but come on. Nothing more than 600x100? Are you insane?
In a nutshell, I don't like the changes, and I think I speak for a lot of VR when I say that they don't, either. I suggest that you either revert back to the original version (the one before this) with a few updated rules (no abusing images, X amount of spoilers, etc.) and a new moderator for keeping watch on signatures (if this option occurs, I nominate NismoZ), or just simply re-allow IMG and Spoiler.

Edit: Don't cite something like "brevity is wit" or "low sig-limits give you a challenge for putting what you want in there". Every forum I've ever seen with this explanation has either gone belly-up or never got off the ground.
Excluding deviantArt, because they invented it! And then they perfected it so that no other website could best them in the ring of honor! they make it work.

Last edited by Velociraptor78; May 2, 2012 at 01:58:59 PM. Reason: Brevity is Dumb
Old May 2, 2012, 01:29:02 PM
Floatzel

Man, well, sorry to anyone in VRIM if I made a fuss about it earlier. Kinda stinks for me though, but I'll get used to it and adapt. I'm sure of it. If anything at all, I had no plans on making my signature bigger than it already was. For those who did plan on it... Well I don't know what to say. And if it's true no one complained about it before, then people could be complaining now. I choose to not make such a fuss now I know what's going on. Just getting my opinion out there. This is neither a pro nor con but it can be viewed as either nonetheless.

Still I did like it when I could at least have my Zoroark banner, my Brawl Card (which I made myself), and some other things in my signature that were actually O.K. to have in there. And they were small not to mention, some things contained by Spoiler tags. Regardless, I will abide by the rules no matter my opinion... Even if I think some things should be return that were fine. I can't argue with the Cat now, he makes the decisions here. Though I should say returning the spoiler plus img tags and hiring a new mod to hunt down those who abuse it would be a better thing than completely removing tags. I remember back at Pokécommunity (which I am a deserter of) they did stick ya for having too large a signature... Last I checked.

I do like the mini icons instead of the large ones for the adopts I will admit. That is good though, and a well needed change for those who need them smaller in their signature rather than at the size I liked them. But why not an option on the size of the icons? Like normal or small icons while still on "one line"? Just a suggestion. Sorry for the mouthful folks, just trying to be helpful and look at both sides of things.

Last edited by Wulf Cines; May 2, 2012 at 01:43:57 PM.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:12:06 PM
Kyurem

I would like to be polite here, but there's no ignoring the elephant in the room: banning IMG and spoiler is absolutely ridiculous. As for uploading anything, it tends to ruin the quality of it, and a couple hundred KB isn't much compared to the resources VRIM's eating up. Spoiler - although it does use up a good 25 pixels - is pretty useful in that you can have a big signature and collapse it all.

Now, I know, my signature is never more than a couple lines of text, and long signatures do tend to piss me off, but I'm speaking on behalf of everyone else. I know that back when I tended to have a long sig, strict signature rules were very annoying, and you've just taken it over the top. At least Bulbagarden allowed 160 pixels.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:25:24 PM
Kyurem

There's a big problem. I know why you're thinking of banning the [img] tag, but doing it like this means that signatures are really, really bound to a single image, and if I'm not too wrong about it, no image slicing the same image to generate more links. Well, there goes my signature.

It does make scrolling in mobile platforms a whole lot easier, though, so I guess that somewhat counts as a bonus, but as many others have said, it's unusually restrictive compared to other forums.

Last edited by Twiggy; May 2, 2012 at 02:29:45 PM.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:47:33 PM
Administrator

To be honest, I never wanted images in signatures, even back to 2008. The biggest problem with the [img] tag is that it is difficult to control the maximum size allowed under the rule. It allows embedding an external file that I cannot use mathematically (like to get a file size or dimensions) to automatically determine the dimensions. One key problem with moderators is that they have differing views of the width and their concept of "too tall." Some mods use a 1920x1080 monitor, while some are often on a mobile with an 800x600 screen. Text and images wrap differently on different monitor widths. Images are too much of a pain to moderate. Also, vBulletin only allows uploading a single image for the signature. I really am sorry. I'd like to ask for more suggestions, though. Maybe I can find some way to please most of the folks here.

Also, signatures are not supposed to be larger than the majority of user posts! They are a signature.

I can put the [spoiler] tag back on the list of allowed BB Codes without issue, however.

(FYI, none of the thirteen staff who were online spoke up about the proposed changes during the meeting last night. )

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 2, 2012 at 02:48:13 PM.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:57:22 PM
Kyurem

The removal of [img] tags was distressing, but it won't kill me. I'll just have to conform...as much as the smaller sig bugs me right now...
Old May 2, 2012, 02:58:07 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
(FYI, none of the thirteen staff who were online spoke up about the proposed changes during the meeting last night. )
Off-topic: I was lying in bed feel like I'm going to die last night. I couldn't say anything regarding this information.

On-topic: I don't mind the limited signatures. With the unlimited siggys, everything was cluttered and scrolling up to the Control Panel would get frustrating at times because I'd run into someone's signature and get caught for a moment while I click away from the said signature. Everyone is just going to have to treat the new signature rules like the new Youtube Channel layouts - complain all you want for the first few weeks then forget about the old way after a month or two.
Old May 2, 2012, 03:05:10 PM
Administrator

Oh, and Vel, Freeze's plugin still was annoying. I just decided to revise the rules at the same time as I removed the plugin.

Oh, and I know of a few forums that don't allow any images whatsoever, including smilies. As for the PokéCommunity "fix your signature" thing, that's what we used to do here.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 2, 2012 at 03:06:55 PM.
Old May 2, 2012, 03:13:21 PM
Kyurem

Considering that Opera Mobile will grow any boxes within a box with a max-height and overflow: scroll set, I think I do see why it could be annoying.
Old May 2, 2012, 03:26:14 PM
Shaymin

Like a lot of members, my signature has been completely redone because of this. I am sure a lot of members like the other guidelines better. I do because they could be divergent the previous way. Now that has changed and I see signatures that are alike, but different (if you see what I am saying). The pros to this is it will probably make the loading of a thread for some users much easier, and it is great that you tended to the problem. Personally I don't like this but I will, as will everyone else, have to live with it. So this actually seems like a challenge, one that provokes you to make your signature different than others (as I claimed that many sigs will have similar qualities). So for now there isn't any questions. And thank you for your time.

-Plaz
Old May 2, 2012, 03:27:21 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
To be honest, I never wanted images in signatures, even back to 2008. The biggest problem with the [img] tag is that it is difficult to control the maximum size allowed under the rule. It allows embedding an external file that I cannot use mathematically (like to get a file size or dimensions) to automatically determine the dimensions. One key problem with moderators is that they have differing views of the width and their concept of "too tall." Some mods use a 1920x1080 monitor, while some are often on a mobile with an 800x600 screen. Text and images wrap differently on different monitor widths. Images are too much of a pain to moderate. Also, vBulletin only allows uploading a single image for the signature. I really am sorry. I'd like to ask for more suggestions, though. Maybe I can find some way to please most of the folks here.
Remember the [fix] tag? I feel like this could be very useful right now. Though obviously, we should change "Youtube videos" to "overabundance of signature space" or "multiple images".
I know we're not supposed to use it for decorative purposes, but I feel it could be a good refresher:
Your signature is unsuitable.
Your signature has been removed by an administrator for being inappropriate, in violation of the rules, or not up to our current standards. The most common reason for this is placing too much content in your signature. Please take care of this immediately, as you may receive warnings for not doing so.

Once it has been fixed, remove the "fix" tags from your signature. If it is still inappropriate, your signature will be blocked again.

Please read the signature rules. Usage of this tag for decorative purposes is not allowed and may result in serious consequences.

On a more positive note, I am liking the smaller adoptable images.
Old May 2, 2012, 05:36:40 PM
Haxorus

Well...I'm gonna miss my old siggy! :< But I guess I have a new project to do now. I kinda got upset that my siggy had to be changed but I guess I haz a project to do then!
Old May 2, 2012, 06:16:09 PM
Volcarona

To all users:
Do you want some cheese with that whine.
Do you hear that? That's the sound of no-one caring
--That is all--

Last edited by KingOfKYA; May 2, 2012 at 06:21:47 PM.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:01:21 PM
Administrator

I might restore the IMG tag too, but I will be a bit strict on it this time.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:14:41 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
I might restore the IMG tag too, but I will be a bit strict on it this time.
I'm thinking of around 4-6 images at most, with a combined size of 100 KB.

Time to get home and do pixel art...
Old May 2, 2012, 08:46:24 PM

I actually kind of like the new, smaller signatures. I believe Cat alluded to how these are supposed to be signatures, so I'd expect them to be small and neat. I will admit that I will miss having larger space, but I never made any use of it anyways, so it doesn't hardly affect me.

And if according to Cat having smaller signatures means that scrolling through threads is easier, then I'm all for it.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:23:01 PM
Floatzel

Quote:
Oh, and Vel, Freeze's plugin still was annoying. I just decided to revise the rules at the same time as I removed the plugin.

Oh, and I know of a few forums that don't allow any images whatsoever, including smilies. As for the PokéCommunity "fix your signature" thing, that's what we used to do here.
Huh, well I didn't know. Still, I can't argue with you. I've gone as far as accepted the rules. And if you are willing to take suggestions, I've given all I can think about for now about the user signatures. The whole icon thing is a nice idea isn't it, the thought of being able to select between either small or normal sized adopt icons for your signature? Not to repeat myself or to just gain an extra post by saying this again. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfKYA View Post
To all users:
Do you want some cheese with that whine.
Do you hear that? That's the sound of no-one caring
--That is all--
You got that right (other than the don't care part, I do happen to care); we don't need to hear any whining and bickering about this whole signature deal. It's either accept the fact and move on, or accept the fact and make suggestions. Something other than complaining. We're free to have opinions, but that doesn't change the fact Cat laid down the rules for signatures. Read them well. Gee, I sound like an admin here.

Last edited by Wulf Cines; May 2, 2012 at 11:33:53 PM.
Old May 3, 2012, 06:48:16 AM
Haxorus

Yeah, I agree 100% with all of you. While others continue to whine about the new signature rules, I've already built a bridge and gotten over it. X3
Old May 3, 2012, 07:19:04 AM
Kyurem

I think I'm liking my new signature more, so... I guess there's no real harm in that.
Old May 3, 2012, 07:59:05 AM
Kyurem

I'll just point out a flaw with this right now: five lines of adopts and a 100px image is technically legal, even though it adds up to 365 pixels.

Last edited by NismoZ; May 3, 2012 at 07:59:36 AM. Reason: I reverse accidentally a word
Old May 3, 2012, 09:02:13 AM
Administrator

I know, but I also know mods still have something to look after.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:44:51 AM
Linoone

Not too pleased, but I can live with it. I always thought my sig was too long anyways
Old May 3, 2012, 09:50:13 AM

I like the new signature rules. Pages load almost instantly now, even at 30 posts per page.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:04:21 PM
Administrator

I've gone through every user with at least 50 posts who still had either either the image or spoiler tag in their signatures and updated them to the new rules. Surprisingly, I only found five users who had signatures too intricate to convert to the new format. Those users have been sent PMs. The biggest usage of the tag was to embed VRAC pets (or VictoryBattles...or in some cases, folks still holding onto the original Floatzel.Net Pokédoptables). A lot of folks had small banners or sprites that had no problem being uploaded.

Also, if you need yet another reason why I just don't want to allow [IMG], some signatures had little 50x50 animated GIFs in them that were over 200 KB!

If your signature has been [FIX]'d or hasn't been updated, please update it.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 4, 2012 at 04:04:33 PM.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:45:36 PM
Floatzel

Quote:
I've gone through every user with at least 50 posts who still had either either the image or spoiler tag in their signatures and updated them to the new rules. Surprisingly, I only found five users who had signatures too intricate to convert to the new format. Those users have been sent PMs. The biggest usage of the tag was to embed VRAC pets (or VictoryBattles...or in some cases, folks still holding onto the original Floatzel.Net Pokédoptables). A lot of folks had small banners or sprites that had no problem being uploaded.

Also, if you need yet another reason why I just don't want to allow [IMG], some signatures had little 50x50 animated GIFs in them that were over 200 KB!

If your signature has been [FIX]'d or hasn't been updated, please update it.
Oh my goodness! I know kb's are small but if we're talking mb's of stuff in signatures, that's not good! I mean, who really needs a load of junk piling up and infinitely scrolling sigs possibly? I don't, as I said before, even need such a huge signature.

Last edited by Wulf Cines; May 4, 2012 at 07:46:23 PM.
Old May 4, 2012, 09:40:32 PM
Haxorus

I remember how annoying it was to try scroll-wheeling through the forums before the signature guidelines were revised and enforced. Now that the revisions are in place, scrolling through the forums has never been faster or easier since I joined last year. :3

Last edited by Seiji J. Konokama; May 4, 2012 at 09:42:59 PM.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:53:09 PM
Administrator

With that specifically, I have always found myself actually grabbing and dragging the scrollbar rather than using the scroll wheel due to often catching the signature box.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 4, 2012 at 10:53:21 PM.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:59:33 PM
Regigigas

Welp, looks like I have to re-do my signature. I guess I'll get used to it.

So, is this difficult to browse through?

Last edited by DashArmy; May 5, 2012 at 01:05:38 PM.
Old May 5, 2012, 01:18:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashArmy View Post
So, is this difficult to browse through?
No, that looks fine.
Old May 5, 2012, 01:24:29 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
No, that looks fine.
Except that it goes over the limit because bbcode counts.
Old May 5, 2012, 01:44:55 PM
Administrator

It does? It doesn't look like it to me. What is it saying the limits are? I may have done something wrong.
Old May 5, 2012, 02:47:41 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
It does? It doesn't look like it to me. What is it saying the limits are? I may have done something wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashArmy View Post
looks like I have to re-do my signature
I got the error message once I attempted to preview the changes (the last changes were before the update)

I'm not sure if it was still working, but attempting to edit it the slightest pretty much breaks it.
Old May 5, 2012, 03:55:59 PM
Administrator

Oh, the vertical limit. It should be five lines or four character returns (presses of the Enter key).

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 5, 2012 at 04:04:47 PM.
Old May 6, 2012, 01:08:32 PM
Kyurem

So how do i put a image in my sig if the [img] and /[img] is taken off?

Last edited by kakashidragon; May 6, 2012 at 01:08:43 PM.
Old May 6, 2012, 01:09:30 PM
Administrator

Upload it, then use the [sigpic] tag.
Old May 6, 2012, 01:36:50 PM
Kyurem

Where does it show [sigpic]? Its in the text box below right where it it has all the tags like the spoiler tag and the youtube one.

Actully i dont mind the new rule, its just now i have to figure out how to make a single sig that i will keep in my sig and be small enough to not go over the max limit.

Last edited by kakashidragon; May 6, 2012 at 01:54:27 PM.
Old May 6, 2012, 05:18:30 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
Where does it show [sigpic]? Its in the text box below right where it it has all the tags like the spoiler tag and the youtube one.

Actully i dont mind the new rule, its just now i have to figure out how to make a single sig that i will keep in my sig and be small enough to not go over the max limit.
As soon as you upload a picture for signature use, it should show up automatically. You don't have to think hard on the limits this time around, since you can have 5 lines at most, and the maximum size for text is 3.
Old May 7, 2012, 03:31:51 PM
Kyurem

Is my sig good now?

Last edited by kakashidragon; May 7, 2012 at 03:34:28 PM. Reason: picture for Sig isnt showing???
Old May 7, 2012, 07:28:22 PM
Administrator

I don't see anything.
Old May 7, 2012, 07:42:40 PM
Kyurem

If the [sigpic] tags are not showing up, insert it manually. The tags need to be immediately closed, with nothing in between the tags.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:21:34 PM
Kyurem

I like the new adoptable size. Although I'm not a big fan of the 600x100 pixel limit however.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:36:51 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirtle102 View Post
I like the new adoptable size. Although I'm not a big fan of the 600x100 pixel limit however.
Clarification time: the 600x100 limit is for the sole signature image only. You can have four more lines of adopts, text, or any combination thereof.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:36:30 AM
Kyurem

So i can still have this sig picture and still have my adopts above it?
Old May 8, 2012, 09:43:47 AM
Administrator

Yes
Old May 8, 2012, 10:29:52 AM
Kyurem

cool, i think i'll add some now
Old May 27, 2012, 05:58:05 PM
Giratina

Question: Why is this sig not working?
Old May 27, 2012, 06:08:15 PM
Administrator

The filesize is too large. Due to the gradiants and color contrast in that, you should use a (high quality, at least 98%) JPEG.