Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Blogs

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 21, 2012, 04:48:14 AM
Giratina

Default Quad's Blog

What to type, what to type... might as well post what's on my mind and what's been happening with me recently. That's the point of a blog, right?

October 21st, 2012
Life's just about to settle down a bit seeing as marching band just finished. Only thing left now is a little expo to recruit middle school band students and a little party in celebration of the ending of the season. It's my last season in marching band because I'm a senior; I don't plan on marching in college (that level of marching is ridiculous). I'm a little sad it's over, but more happy than sad to be honest. Going to competitions and football games always put me in a depressed mood and I think it's because I never felt like I never fit into any group of people in the band.

In a less depressing way, I'm happy it's over because now I will have time to look for, apply to, and keep a job. Hopefully I'll have a source of minimum wage income soon. Trying to save up for some nice computer parts which will cost just over $1000. I'm getting tired of this computer I currently have. It's a little outdated with its parts and the GPU I have in it right now constantly makes noise because the fan is slightly out of its socket, but it won't fall out. Definitely not a bad computer, but nowhere near good. Hoping to get a job at my local Gamestop or really anywhere that's within easy walking distance of my house so I don't have to work my schedule around my mom's just so I have a ride to work. Plus, not having to pay anything related to a car for awhile means I can keep whatever I make. If I did my math correctly, it will take me a little over 2 months of working minimum wage at 20 hours a week before I have enough money. Not exactly sure how much will be taken out for taxes though, so it could be 3 months of working until I have enough money for all the parts.

What I need to focus on right now though is my team for the gym league. The league opens up this week and I don't have a single member ready for challenges. I blame my bad management of time for this. There's also my inefficient way of raising a team which was to wait until you have the level 1 Pokémon of your team before you raise any of them (i.e. If I planned on using Gyrados on my team, I wouldn't train a Magikarp until I have every other member of my team ready for training). Now I'll have to hatch eggs while EV training other members that need to be raised. Thankfully, I'm the 7th gym so I will have some time before my first challenger arrives. I just hope that the leaders before me will do a sufficient job of defeating challengers so I have the ability to raise my team in a short amount of time.

I should probably wrap up this post. I need to get to raising my team ASAP. Still need to get a female Vulpix from the Dream World, and I won't be able to find Vulpix until I have 10K DW Points and I currently have 4K points (and I can get about 500 in a day if I'm lucky). Time to go.

-Quad

Last edited by Quadcentruo; October 21, 2012 at 05:54:42 AM.
Old October 22, 2012, 05:23:24 PM
Giratina

October 22nd, 2012
Can't manage to really focus on school work. Something about being a senior makes me really unmotivated to do work, especially seeing as I've already been accepted into two colleges now so all I have to do is pass my classes. I think my grades might tank in the next couple of weeks. I'll just do what I can.

I planned on raising up my gym team a bit. At least, I wanted to raise them, but I got distracted by Torchlight 2 which my friend gave me today on Steam. I'm paying him back this Thursday or Friday when I sell my 360 to my brother's friend. Torchlight 2 is something that's going to be a huge distraction in the near future; it's just too much fun. Leveling up and exploring have this satisfying effect about them that makes you want to do it again and again for hours. I had to force myself to stop playing so I could get a bit of training done.

Other than that, not much has happened. I should get back to MC and work on my hidden base (which isn't so hidden right now), also inb4lolMC. Torchlight 2 is definitely something that's going to keep my occupied, especially because I've been wanting to play a game like Diablo for awhile and Torchlight 2 is essentially a cheaper and more polished version of Diablo 3. Definitely recommend it to anyone who is a PC gamer.

Probably should stop wasting time by typing this blog and get to my 3DS for training. Till next time.

-Quad

See you space cowboy....
Old October 24, 2012, 05:26:42 PM
Giratina

October 24th, 2012
Darn it, I don't feel like making today's blog post. I accidentally hit tab and then backspace, causing my browser to go back one page and erasing everything I typed up. Losing progress is incredibly frustrating, no matter what it is or when it happens.

Short version of what I had typed up - I sold my Xbox 360 and games for $70, going to pay back my friend for Torchlight 2 and then buy Black 2, had a band concert today that was Halloween themed - I dressed up as James Bond because my band uniform slightly resembles James Bond's suits, next year I might visit dressed up as Solid Snake - I need Black 2 for some move tutors to teach my gym team some moves, off to play Torchlight 2.

-Quad
I need more time in the day
Old October 27, 2012, 06:51:51 PM
Giratina

October 27th, 2012
Been an easy day, as most Saturdays are. Plenty of time to slack off and do whatever I want. Played some Torchlight 2, managed to squeeze in some TF2 along with a bit of L4D2 with a friend, and even worked on my gym team. Getting close to having one member ready - just 29 levels and 1 move away from being ready with that member. I also decided to start recording videos again today. I managed to record two episodes of Torchlight 2. In fact, the second episode is being rendered at the time of this post. The recording session doubled as a test run for both Fraps and Virtual Dub. Seeing as VD probably is taking up all my computer's resources, I'm typing this on my phone.

Nothing else really happened except I found out my close friend isn't actually mad at me. I try to avoid getting too personal about my life, but all you need to know is I thought she was mad at me because of how she reacted yesterday when I tried talking to her. She's not mad, so everything's fine now.

Just waiting on Torchlight 2 episode 2 to finish rendering then I'm heading off to sleep. Gonna try to record more tomorrow.

-Quad
Fun fact: my phone, the Samsung Stratsophere, does not support Comic Sans
Old October 30, 2012, 04:46:51 PM
Giratina

October 30th, 2012
I'm getting frustrated with raising my team. It's not that things are too slow or I'm getting unlucky with raising them, it's that I don't have Black 2 and therefore don't have access to some move tutors with moves essential for my members. If someone would be so kind to take my team members and teach them some moves real quick, that would be appreciated. I really need to head over to Gamestop some time and get a copy of Black 2 and speed my way through it.

In Torchlight 2 news, I managed to get my fourth episode recorded and rendered. Now I'm in the process of uploading episode one to my channel as I type this. It's going to take 5 hours to upload . Guess I'm sleeping with my computer on again (as much as I hate leaving it on overnight). It feels good to record videos, even managed to get some semi-decent commentary on the fourth episode. I do want to do something other than playing a game real soon though. Possibly discussing Final Fantasy VII and how it's not as great as everyone says, but not as bad as some people make it out to be; go in-depth with most aspects of the game. I don't want my channel to be populated with only LP style videos; that gets boring after awhile.

In my real life news (which I try not to talk about), I asked out a girl yesterday. We're good friends and we would stick up for each other whenever we need to. In fact, she even defended me from slander coming from my ex (it was ugly). My friend said she would think about going out with me and I'm just waiting for her to make a decision. Hope she says yes....

Time for some shameless advertisement (I know how much you people missed it): It would be extremely helpful to me if you subscribed to my YT channel and watched my videos and possibly give some constructive criticism. It'll help me improve the quality of my videos. If you subscribe, thanks for your support! If you haven't yet, what are ya waiting for?

-Quad
I really want to get back to TF2, but Torchlight 2 is sucking all the game out of me.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; October 30, 2012 at 04:48:58 PM. Reason: BBCode
Old October 31, 2012, 03:32:55 PM
Giratina

October 31st, 2012
Obligatory happy Halloween to those reading. I don't celebrate Halloween - haven't been into the Halloween thing since I was a kid. Maybe if I had a disposable income so I could make my own costumes. If that were the case, I would make a Solid Snake costume and sneak around the neighborhood with a cardboard box. But seeing as my budget is between $0 and pocket change, I can't do anything for Halloween.

Today has been a rather boring and unusually stressful for me. I got an answer from the girl I asked out and she said I'm too much like her brother and it would be awkward for her. It discouraged me when school ended, but that just means I should change a little. Problem is I don't know what her brother is like, so I don't know what kind of person he is, but apparently I'm very much alike my friend's brother. Maybe things will change in time (just hope it changes for the better before June 1st).
Other than being rejected, I made the mistake of uploading Torchlight 2 Episode 2. It's a mistake because it, too, is going to take 5+ hours to upload. I started uploading around 4 pm EST and it still has about 220 minutes left in the upload at the time of this post. I think what I'll do from now on is upload right before I go to school rather than when I get home so I'll have the ability to record more episodes and not cause my system to kill itself by trying to manage uploading a 2GB video and recording a 55GB video at the same time. Don't have the RAM or CPU power for such a thing.
Part 3 of 3 of my stressful day was I started the essay I have to type up for my AP English and Literature class today. It has to be between 1800 and 2200 words describing Achilles as a character, along with describing his growth as a character and describing the methods Homer used to show Achilles' growth. The essay is due Friday and I only read half of the wrong version of The Iliad. I'm struggling to keep my grade above the D range in AP English right now and this essay is only going to hurt me. I feel like things will be easier once we get out of the Iliad and the Metamorphoses discussions. Which reminds me that I need to start reading The Odyssey....

Trying my best to keep positive about life. School life, social life, gaming life, and recording life. Not exactly the easiest task, but so far I'm managing... sort of. Things will get better soon though. Hopefully I'll get closer to my friend and she won't think of me as being like her brother... enough about my real life.

Visit my channel real quick and see if you like it (please?). Every bit of support is appreciated.

That's it for today. Time to figure out what to do for the next few hours.

-Quad
More excited for Thanksgiving than I am for Christmas.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:53:21 PM
Giratina

November 1st, 2012
Woo-wee. Finally hit November. October seemed to drag on a bit too long then it should've. Or maybe I just need a break from school. The 2000 word essay I had to type up for AP English IV wore my fingers out, but at least I have it done and I can now look forward to the weekend.

But something I really wanted to talk about right now - I figured out the approximate experience you get from walking and running in Gear Station while a Pokémon is left in the day care center. So these are the rates:

-One revolution around Gear Station at two steps away from the stairs (so when you enter Gear Station, take one step toward the center) is about 60 steps. You will never run into an NPC or anything else at this spot.
Walking
-It takes about 17.25 seconds to walk one full circle at two steps away from the stairs.
-You earn about 210 EXP every minute at this rate.
-12,600 EXP every hour.
-302,400 EXP every day.

Running
-It takes about 8.75 seconds to run one full circle from the mentioned spot above.
-At this rate, you earn about 414 EXP every minute.
-24,840 EXP every hour.
-596,160 EXP every day.

Remember that this has to be constant, so no stopping for anything. If only you could use the bike in Gear Station....
So if you're trying to train a Pokémon via day care and you have the ability to make your character constantly running, go for it because this is the most efficient way to earn EXP because you are constantly earning EXP, as compared to trainer battles which are start-and-stop EXP. Take note that, at constant running speeds in Gear Station, it would only take a little more than a day for a Pokémon with "Erratic" EXP growth to go from level 1 to 100 and a little more than a day and a half for a Pokémon with "Fast" growth to go from level 1 to 100.

That's really the highlight of my day and that's all I feel like sharing for today. Enjoy that little bit of info.

-Quad
I really need to find a paperweight for my B button....
Old November 2, 2012, 04:52:45 PM
Giratina

November 2nd, 2012
Nothing too notable happened today. I wanted to train my team, but I felt incredibly discouraged. I managed to record another episode of Torchlight 2, but I need to record a bit more. I also need to record something other than Torchlight 2 and that something will probably be a discussion video on Final Fantasy VII. I wouldn't mind recording more tonight, but I also wouldn't mind sleeping either. Both sound like very viable options and the second one would be more likely to happen because TL2 part 5 is in the process of rendering right now.

Nothing else to mention. Remember to go here because I could really use some feedback. Thanks for your support in advance.

-Quad
I feel like getting back into MC.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; November 2, 2012 at 04:53:28 PM.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:41:48 PM
Giratina

November 5th, 2012
Happy presidential election day eve to those in the US. To all others, happy regular day to you too. I don't know what it is about Mondays, but they always seem to be the longest and most agonizing days of the week. I've had a minor headache all day and I haven't been able to relax much until just now. I had to go to parent-teacher conferences today and all of my teachers said rather the same thing except my AP English teacher who said the only thing keeping my grade down is the reading journal for a book I never read. I had to awkwardly explain to him how my mom ordered the wrong book (and the same book at that) twice and I also had to explain to him how I had the wrong version of The Iliad. It wasn't pleasant.

I seem to be falling behind in my gym team and in Torchlight 2 recordings. I don't have an episode ready to upload tomorrow and I only have two members of my gym team that are mostly ready for battles. To top things off, I still don't have Black 2 for the move tutors and I don't know who I could contact for assistance. I'll just have to speed through Black 2 for the move tutors (I hope finding all the shards won't be too terrible (I also hope I'll have enough shards for every move)).

As for Torchlight 2, I'm having a difficult time finding interesting commentary for each episode. Which is what I was afraid of from the very beginning. I wish I was able to have interesting commentary every episode to the point where I have a decent amount of subscribers without resorting to foul language. It can be done (see examples: Etho and possibly Chuggaaconroy), I just need more practice in doing so. I still need to get started on my FFVII discussion video. My plan is to playthrough FFVII while analyzing it to the best of my abilities so that way I don't sound like an angry/ignorant gamer while trying to discuss the game.

As for my real life, I'm tired of my friends not being there for me. I try my best to be the best friend possible, but they all make it difficult when they don't respond to me. Either that or my phone is plotting against me by not receiving any messages other than the ones from my mom.

I'll leave you guys with one last thing that I really wanted to write on the board in my precalculus class today because some people were mocking a video telling the story of the origins of numbers, counting, and arithmetic:

If you don't appreciate knowledge, you deserve to know nothing.

-Quad
Old November 7, 2012, 06:00:35 PM
Giratina

November 7th, 2012
After a day off from school due to the elections, I found school to be rather easy today. Didn't really have to do any work in any class. In fact, I'd say I did more work in band class then I did in AP English IV today. It was encouraging to have an easy day. Although, I'm still struggling with classes and objects in Java programming, but I'm starting to grasp the way to use it a little bit.

After school was the best part of the day. A friend of mine asked if I wanted to go to her house so she could teach me how to bake cookies. I'll admit - it was a bit awkward when I stepped into her house for the first time and even more awkward meeting her mother, father, then unexpectedly meeting her grandpa and grandma within 20 minutes of each other. Baking the cookies was fun. After we baked the cookies, we played some games in her basement for a couple of hours - some Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. I'd like to hang out with her again soon to be honest, I'd like to go out with her sometime.

I'm currently in the process of rendering Torchlight 2 episode 9 and downloading Blacklight Retribution on Steam after seeing a guy I'm subscribed to play it for a little bit. It's a Free-to-Play game, so, you know, lucky me, but I'm probably going to be chewed at for awhile for being F2P, assuming it's like TF2 on how it was once a game you had to purchase, but then converted into a F2P game. Thankfully, I'm rather quick to learn game mechanics, so BL:R shouldn't be too difficult for me to pickup - hopefully it'll have some sort of training mode or offline practice so I don't have to jump right into a server with people who are probably experts on the game.

I really wish my English class would be past the Odyssey already - I have a reading quiz on Books XIII - XXIV on the 12th... and I'm on Book XIII right now. Plus, I really really need to work on my gym team a bit more. Just found out I need to rebreed a Pokémon for an egg move that I missed, but I don't have the father for the move I need... then I need to breed for nature. Maybe I'll just get a father with the proper nature and have it hold an Everstone while it's in the daycare center.

That's it for today. Nothing witty or too special to say here, except maybe one sentence I wrote near the beginning of the school year when I was feeling a bit down. It goes a bit something like this:

Even if you lose everything, you still have the ability to rebuild.

-Quad
I hope the girl I like shares the same feelings for me - loneliness is starting to eat at me more intensely now.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; November 7, 2012 at 06:00:53 PM.
Old November 11, 2012, 05:23:20 PM
Giratina

November 11th, 2012
Let me start off the post with a forehead-to-keyboard moment.

jsetglrbd

I would say "that is all" but it's not.
Like I said in the last post of mine, I have a reading quiz for the last 10 books of The Odyssey tomorrow. Since that post, I have not read more than 10 pages of the Odyssey from where I was. I wonder if I'll be able to speed read the remaining ten books by my 6th hour tomorrow... doubt it.

I also think I forgot to do some Pre-Calculus homework, which is pretty bad considering I have a B- in the class right now. I don't know what it is with math classes, but I'm never good with them... which is especially bad considering I want to get into the video game programming and design fields, the first being rather math heavy. What's also pretty bad about how I want to get into programming is I can't work with parts of code called "Classes." For those who don't know what classes in coding are, they are essentially things that have specific functions in a program. A good example of this would be a battle in an RPG.

On the brighter side of things, I managed to get around 700 DW points in one go today. I don't know how I managed to do it, but it worked. I know that every mini-game you beat is an additional 20 points and you only have one hour a day to get as many points as possible. I think the best way to get 500+ points is to play the mini-games only to the necessary completion level so the game doesn't waste time going through post-game stats. Also, make sure to completely avoid any Pokémon that wish to blow out candles with you - that games wastes the most time out of anything. Even the "Search for Pokémon" game can take about 5 seconds if you know what you're doing.

While browsing through some video game music earlier, I found one that stood out so much to me and had such an impact on me that it is now my favorite final boss theme. For those who have seen my post in "Your favorite video game track in history" (or whatever it's called exactly), you should know what I'm talking about. That track is the Elder Princess Shroob Battle from Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. The piece is one of the most dramatic pieces I've ever heard, even topping "Demise of the Ritual" in my opinion. It tells you just what sort of struggle the Mario Bros. are facing and how futile of a struggle it is, but they have no choice but to fight on till their very last breath to save the Mushroom Kingdom from the invasion of the Shroobs. I've been looking for a piece that has the sad and dramatic, yet still faster paced feel to it and this piece has certainly nailed it square on the head.

Last bit of good news - the TF2 economy and Blacklight: Retribution, along with listening to video game tracks have kept my mind preoccupied and I don't feel that lonely now. Oddly enough, I would really like to write my thoughts down in my notebook, but I haven't really felt like opening my backpack all weekend. I should probably do my precalc homework before it's too late... senioritis awaaaaaay.

-Quad
If the blade makes the man, then the man is just a simple tool of war.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; November 12, 2012 at 01:10:23 PM.
Old November 15, 2012, 05:23:09 PM
Giratina

November 15th, 2012
Well, well, well - it seems October overstayed its welcome, but November just can't wait to get its hat on and leave the scene. I don't blame it - everyone's too excited for Christmas already when the US hasn't even hit Thanksgiving yet. Just thinking about Thanksgiving dinner is making me hungry, but it's probably not a good idea to eat an hour before I sleep I might get cramps, you know.

Haven't recorded anything Torchlight 2 related recently or posted in the blog in the past few days because of two big games right now - Team Fortress 2 and Pokémon Black 2 (big surprise there, huh?). I've been taking a break-but-not-really from the TF2 Trading business until the price of keys drops a bit like everyone says they will and I've been working my way through Black 2. So far, I'm enjoying Black 2 more than I did Black 1. Could be the medals, could be the fact that I'm using Lucario at low levels, could be Hugh's battle music, could be all of the above plus some. Point being, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I really need a break from school. Weekends are not a sufficient break from school. Thankfully, Thanksgiving break is just next week and I get Wednesday through the weekend off. I plan on getting through Black 2 during that time, along with working on my gym team even more (I really shouldn't have slacked off so much. Glad the other leaders are good battlers) as well as working on the FFVII video, which I haven't started yet. I have, however, restarted FFVII so I can analyze the aspects of it from start to finish so I have a relative idea of what I'm talking about, rather than trying to speak from memory which is the worst thing I can ever do.

Last thing I can say is that I'm feeling much better than I did a few days ago. By no means am I completely happy with how things are, but I'm not entirely bleak on the outcome of things anymore. Best thing I can do is not think about the current status of my social life because that only picks at the wound.

Oh, and something interesting I've noticed about myself - it seems that I have better dreams when I keep my computer on at night, despite the fact that it makes loud noises due to the GPU's fan. For the past week, whenever I have kept my computer on, I've had rather pleasant dreams, but when my computer is off, the dreams get a bit weird to disturbing to unpleasant.

Enough of this post, back to Black 2.

-Quad
As of right now, I'm working on a poem about Roxas from Kingdom Hearts where all the text is written backwards.
Old November 17, 2012, 03:05:39 PM
Giratina

November 17th, 2012
Dang it, I coughed all over my monitor. I hate it when I do that and I don't have anything to clean it up on hand. Makes my monitor look disgusting, even though it's infinitely better than my old monitor.

Anyway, onto a real post. Nothing happened much in the past two days. I believe I bombed a precalculus test because I completely forgot the material of one section of a chapter that we were tested on and I'm falling a bit behind in both my Accounting and Webmasters classes. I'm used to it in Webmasters and Accounting, but not precalc. Just gotta start pulling my weight a bit more.

As for my non-school life (aka everything that goes on at home), I've decided to start working towards being good enough to be on a Highlander team for TF2. For those who don't know (and I'm sure most of you don't know), Highlander teams are composed of 1 of each class in TF2 and they are pit against each other in various maps (so 9v9 matches); those maps are not necessarily official maps from Valve. Highlander teams are usually looked at as having some of the best players in TF2, but the people who say such things are probably referring to the Platinum ranked Highlander teams, which is the highest rank. The ranks are; in order from lowest skill to highest; Iron, Steel (because this rank is so large, there's Steel A and Steel B), Silver, Platinum. These ranks also have their own European, South American, Asian, and Australian/New Zealand divisions. I hoping to get into North America Iron just to start out, then I'll work my way up to Steel, then Silver, then eventually Platinum hopefully. Maybe even be considered one of the best TF2 players to ever play.

But that's just another dream of mine. In the mean time, I still have to finish up my Gym Team (thank you Reun for slowing down in the League to give me time to finish my team). I haven't worked on my team directly for about a week. I've been trying to get through Black 2 at the moment so I can get to the move tutors. Until I get to the proper move tutor with the right amount of Blue Shards (I need way too many of them by the way), my team will not be fully ready. There's also the matter of getting a certain DW Pokémon. Meant to go to the DW today before I uploaded the latest TL2 episode this morning, but seeing as I only just recently adjusting my 3DS' clock for Daylight Savings, I have to wait until tomorrow just to use the DW. Getting closer to the 10K points I need though. I only need 3,210 more points and I can get a little bit over 500 points a day. The past two times I've gone on the DW, I've gotten about 600 points, so at that rate, it'll take me 6 days minimum to get to 10K, plus one day because they are doing maintenance on the 20th. This is assuming I go on the DW everyday.

Nothing else worth noting. Just been excited to get to Highlander training. Was going to earlier, but I wanted to wait until I ate dinner so I wouldn't be interrupted mid-game. Plus, I wanted to say that I've decided to work towards a Highlander team, so I decided to post here.

That's it for tonight, except for some shameless self-promotion: Go here. The past two episodes of mine have had some rather interesting commentary if you haven't been watching, especially the Black Ops 2 rant two episodes ago. Thanks in advance if you clicked the link, if not, what are you waiting for? A personal invitation? (Just kidding, feel free to hit the link whenever if you want.)

-Quad
Anybody else miss "Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy"?
Old December 7, 2012, 05:16:19 PM
Giratina

December 7th, 2012
Been a little while since I've posted. I've been preoccupied with other things in my life, so blogs posts were not my first priority. Where to start, where to begin....

I suppose I could start with the main reason why I've been preoccupied and that would be due to the fact that I've gotten into a Highlander team for Season 9 and I've been playing a ton of Team Fortress 2 as a result. I can see myself get better each time I practice with the team.

Another reason would be that I've been hanging out with a friend of mine every now and again and when I hang out with her, time gets wasted. We've always managed to do stuff when we hang out. On top of playing games, we've baked cookies together, made pancakes, and even made peanut butter cookies together. Last time we hung out (which was last night), I showed her Pokémon Snap! which, to my surprise, she's never heard of. I let her play a bit, even got her to play the final level despite the fact she had only played one level before that, and it was all good times. We even figured out how bad we both are at the original Super Mario Bros. - I got the furthest before getting a game over and I got to World 1-2.

School has been going... swimmingly, if you consider a fish floating dead on the water swimmingly. I'm not failing any classes, but I certainly am slacking when it comes to homework. Never was a fan of doing homework... nobody is, but others are better about doing their homework than me. Like my friend that I mentioned above who is a straight-A student and gets perfect scores on every test and does all homework assigned. Thankfully, my school has changed its grading policy a bit so now a majority of your homework is based off test scores rather than being mostly split between homework and tests. Kids will have to actually know the material to pass school now. *gasp* They can't copy off their friend's homework and pass the class anymore. -cheers-

Now for non-school, non-internet related interests of mine, I've really been wanting to express the creative side of mine and music really isn't cutting it for me. Sure, I can play trombone rather well and piano is solid, but I'm not proficient enough in either to play whatever I want to in a timely manner. Rather, I've been trying to write poems or create some nice looking drawings. I'm no artist, so I have to default to poetry or writing stories. Poetry is a bit hard to create if you can't think of a topic to write about, whereas writing stories comes rather naturally to me, so I've been trying that. I think I will start a story of mine in the Literature section of the forum pretty soon. Already have the background story of a character and even a plot line ready to be written out.

One last thing - Steam: Big Picture mode - outstanding. I just wish Windows wouldn't think Steam is from the XP era and get out of compatibility mode when I try to run it so it would be a bit more stable when I switch to Big Picture Mode.

That's it for the night. I'm going to try to get more TL2 up soon. Maybe tomorrow when I feel like playing it - haven't had much motivation to do much recently.

-Quad
I just noticed that I type faster and more consistently when I have music playing in the background
Old December 16, 2012, 06:36:37 PM
Giratina

December 16th, 2012
10:30 at night with school in the morning? Who needs sleep? Actually, ever since joining a Highlander team, that seems to be the normal for me.

But enough chit-chat. Onto real things. I started getting into a show more heavily ever since my friend showed it to me a few weeks ago - just finished watching the first season today, in fact. It's called Sword Art Online. The writers of that show did an excellent job of character development and plot development. I couldn't help but cheer for the main protagonists in the boss fights, I felt genuinely scared when things were looking dire, and I even nearly cried quite a few times throughout the course of the first season. Can't say that about any other show I've watched. JD will know what I'm talking about.

I've been list- oh sorry, it would be more appropriate if I typed it out like how Rucks would say it.
Kids been listenin' to a whole lot of Bastion music. 'Can't get enough of it,' he says, though it makes sense; those tunes are the finest 'round the land.
Rucks is definitely one of the greatest narrating characters I've seen in games. Voice acting is flawless and he never interrupts gameplay.

Minecraft. Just Minecraft. Need I say more? Sure, why not? In my single-player world, I have a rather decent living going on. I have a potato, wheat, carrot, pumpkin, cactus, and cocoa farm. I wouldn't mind expanding those farms though - I don't get much on a full harvest with the exception of potatoes. Plus, I have lots of room on my island still. Trying to assign a double chest to hold a specific item is a bit of a pain. Not so much storing it, but labeling it with Item Frames, mainly because I don't have nearly enough leather for such a thing. I do have plenty of iron though and that's thanks to finding seemingly endless caves every time I find a new cave. Seriously - I've found 5 different caves and they've all eaten up at least an hour of my time and I still haven't discovered all there is to each cave.

Last thing I could probably talk about would be my story I'm currently working on. I like the way it's developing so far. In fact, that last post where Bryar has an emotional overflow was inspired by the main character of Sword Art Online when he has his emotions boil over whenever the people around him get harmed. If you haven't checked out my story yet, feel free to do so if you want. Might be worth reading, especially when the plot starts to thicken.

That's it for tonight. Time for some sleep - last week of school before winter break... and I still haven't found the Dream World Pokémon I need....

-Quad
Old December 17, 2012, 04:46:02 PM
Giratina

December 17th, 2012
Today was one roller coaster of a day, I tell ya. In fact, I could probably describe it as if it were a roller coaster. The climb to the top was the dream I had... I can't remember what happened in it, I just remember it was a good dream. I think it had something to do with Sword Art Online. The fall down happened when I woke up - when I tried cracking my elbow like I usually do to make it feel good, I did something wrong and nearly broke it or something and it's been hurting all day. The bottom of the hill, the worst part, was the last half of school today - I couldn't focus in the slightest and my head was killing me. I think Sword Art Online tapped feelings I've repressed for so long and it ended up hurting me... I'm feeling better now - the climb back up. Having emotions isn't so bad after all... is it? Sword Art Online... it's cheesy, but I'm glad I've started watching it. Helped me figure out a bit about my emotions.

The time I spent today not focusing on schoolwork, I spent thinking about my story and where to go from where it is now and where it will hopefully be in the near future... the future thoughts about it really hit me in the feels. Probably wouldn't have happened if I didn't watch SAO. Every time I thought about that show, it hit me hard in the feels. Especially one character's death... JD, if you're reading this, remember what Sachi did after she died, with the song, I mean? Every time I thought about it, it made me tear up a bit.

Nothing else of significance happened today. I didn't get home until 6 today because I had to stay after school for a rehearsal for a concert the band, orchestra, and chorus is having tomorrow, meaning I probably won't be on for very long tomorrow. I think I'm starting to get a cold... right before the winter break, too. If not Thanksgiving, then it had to be Christmas, didn't it?

I'll leave you with some words of wisdom:
There's no reason to linger in the past - you can't change it. All you can do is step forward into what's next in life.

-Quad
Old December 25, 2012, 06:10:22 PM
Giratina

December 25th, 2012
Obligatory happy holidays from your neighborhood mope... well, wouldn't say that, but it's how I identify myself most of the time, even if I'm not moping. Today has been a rather pleasant, but drawn out day. Could've been pleasant most likely due to my story. I'm wanting to type out more and more of it every time I post another part of it. I guess I just want to get my thoughts pinned down as quick as possible.

As for the holidays, I got everything I asked for - money, a computer chair, and Paper Mario Sticker Star. I'll start with my favorite one first - the computer chair. After spending over an hour assembling it last night, I'm finding it much easier to stay seated at my computer for longer periods of time. The cushion is much more comfortable and the hydraulic system in this chair is much more fine-tuned than my old chair. The best part of the chair though probably has to be the fact that my lower back no longer aches from sitting down so long.

On to the money - $330. What could I possibly do with it? Save it. I'm saving up to buy enough parts for a nice computer, but college is coming up soon and I need all the money I can get. So conflicting. I need around $1,100 for all the parts and I need around $56,000 for four years of college... such a tough decision.

And now Paper Mario Sticker Star. I heard good things from some of the members here, so I decided I might as well get it for Christmas. I played a little bit of it so far earlier today and to be honest, I'm not liking it so far. I haven't gotten too far, but the most apparent problem this game has so far seems to be it fails to engage me from the get go like other games can. It's heavily story based in the beginning, so it starts off real slow, which is a flaw it has. Plus, getting stickers all over the place almost feels like a grind. Can't make a final verdict yet, though. Not until I get further into the game.

I also got some money to spend on Steam - about $55 or so. With it, I bought Braid ($5), Borderlands: GOTY Edition ($15), Just Cause 2 ($9), "Closure" for a friend ($5), and some keys for Team Fortress 2 (whatever I had left). A friend of mine (the one I bought Closure for) even gave me Castle Crashers for Steam. When I started that up, it said "We recommend using a controller!" When I saw that, I laughed Castle Crashers and used my keyboard. Only problem I find with CC for Steam - it uses controller buttons for instructions (for example: If it tells you to use the jump button, it'll say "A" instead of what the jump key is mapped to). It seems like Behemoth Studios just copied the code from the XBLA Marketplace and pasted it into Steam with just some minor tweaks to the menus. Still fun though.

One last thing - Cat, Shade, whoever updates the MC server, if you're reading this: Let's go vanilla. I know security is a big issue in vanilla, but isn't that just another part of SMP that players need to worry about? Also, if anyone or if a large group of people request a map change for no adequately explained reason - tell them to leave the server if they don't like the map. I would really like to resume work on my house, but I can't because the server is not in 1.4.6. Just my thoughts, anyway.

That's enough for tonight. Enjoy the holidays while they last for the year. Also, how about that end of the world? It's like it never even happened!

-Quad
Old January 6, 2013, 05:44:22 PM
Giratina

Default We need a dispenser riiiight here...

January 6th, 2013
Really? I haven't posted here since Christmas? Now that's just not right. Not like anything's happened in that time, though. Everyday has been more or less the same, but it's not like stuff hasn't happened... at least, stuff's happened for me.

First thing's first - the one I'm most excited about - Season 9 of TF2 Highlander starts up soon. The first match of the season takes place on the 21st of this month. It'll be my first real match in a competitive TF2 setting. All that time I spent scrimming with my team and all the time I've spent in Soldier Jump maps will finally start to pay off on the 21st... hopefully, anyway.

Over to something you, the reader, would actually be interested in (unless you're Cyrus) - the wonderful world of Minecraft - not too long ago, I got fed up with waiting for Cat or whoever to update the MC server, so I ended up downgrading myself by installing MultiMC just so I could play on the server and I must say - it's almost like I'm playing on Single Player because nobody is ever there. There's no real reason to be on a multiplayer world if nobody's ever on. The only reason would be to work on my house and I could easily make an underground house on my single-player world.
Shade, I promise the moment the server gets updated, I will build a King-of-the-ladder tower in the server and I will setup a KOTL event so we can all play it.

Next order of business - recording videos. I've been wanting to get back into recording videos for YT again, but I haven't really been in the mood to record due to some personal issues. To be honest, I'm not really sure if I want to continue on with the Torchlight 2 Let's Play, it just doesn't seem worth continuing at this point. There are two things I really want to record at this point in time - Team Fortress 2 commentary (sort of like STAR_) and the absolute worst idea for a run through of Megaman X4 imaginable. My idea for a MMX4 runthrough is to beat the entire game as X without using a charged shot unless necessary to get something, so just pew-pew-pew through all levels and all bosses.
A couple weeks ago, I ranthrough MMX4 while limiting myself to the Buster-gun only because before, every time I would play that game I would use the weaknesses of the bosses to rush through that game and I have to say - Buster-only definitely makes the boss battles seem like actual battles. The Buster-Only run gave me an idea of what I would be facing when I limit myself to not charge my shots. My only concern if I were to record this playthrough would be finding interesting commentary. Running through the actual level parts of the game should be no problem, but the boss battles will be the hardest part to find commentary for because nothing new will be put into the video so I have to think of something on the fly while fighting. If there's anything I've learned from watching STAR's Live-Commentary TF2 videos it's that you should not try to act intelligent all the time - in fact, it would probably be best if you were to act subtly stupid most of the time. Know what you're doing, but don't say it and don't act like it until you need to.

There was something else I wanted to talk about... oh right, my story. I haven't been typed much up recently, but that's for the same reason why I haven't felt like recording anything - personal issues. Just been feeling lonely and the girl I like doesn't share the same feelings for me, so that's a bit disheartening, but we are good friends, so hopefully that will change in the near future to the point where we are more than just good friends. Every time I think about her I just let out a sigh. Been hard to do literally anything in this mood. Haven't even felt like playing a ton of TF2 in this mood.

Last thing for the night - the first semester of my senior year in high school ends at the end of the week next week. It's a good, bad, and scary thing all at once. Good in the fact that next semester I'm being placed in a drawing class, bad in the fact that the drawing class replaces my piano class so it'll be harder to learn this piece, scary in the fact that college is getting ever so close. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that.
Cat, if you're reading this, tell me if college is as bad as I think it is.

You know, I wish life were more like the lives of the characters I create. Life would be much more interesting and people could feel like they mean something to more than just the ones immediately around them without having to be considered a sell-out amongst society. Which kind of brings me to the topic of another story I have in mind. It's still in the works a bit, so I'm not really going to say anything too detailed about it. The most I'm willing to give out about it is it involves three protagonists and swordplay.

*listening to "Dearly Beloved" arr. by Kyle Landry* Ah... so beautiful. Welp, that's enough for now. I'll post again when I feel like I should. G'night, good day if you're reading this some other time that isn't night. I'm going to try to make this blog more interesting somehow.

Oh, if you're wondering, I have one New Year's Resolution this year - to be more social. Never a bad thing to want to be.

-Quad
Old January 19, 2013, 04:21:01 PM
Giratina

January 19th, 2013
I really need to update this more often, but I never know what to say without feeling like I'm just spilling my personal life onto the internet for everyone to see. I mean, it's not like anything bad could happen if I tell about my personal life unless I leak my Social Security or something... bank info maybe? I dunno.

I suppose there are about three different things I could talk about. Those three being Team Fortress 2, Touhou (and maybe how just that name reminds me of Saber), and my personal life. In no particular order, let's begin - Touhou. For some unknown reason, I've been playing a rather heavy amount of Touhou. It's not a bad thing, but I just decided to play a little bit of Touhou 6 one day and suddenly it's like I've fallen in love with Touhou. I even decided to change my desktop background to a fan-made picture of Sakuya Izayoi (not the best quality due to picture resolution upload restrictions). I don't know why I'm playing a lot of Touhou recently, but I honestly don't care because I'm having fun.

Next order of business - personal feelings. I've been in a rather good mood compared to how I was feeling a week or two ago. Haven't felt lonely, despite actually being alone. I might've gotten over it just from willing myself to get over it or it possibly could be due to the fact that I'm trying my best to keep my mind occupied at all times. If I don't give myself time to think about my personal life, it can't depress me. Plus I think what really boosted my mood was knowing that the girl I liked and spilled my feelings out for and I are still friends. It's always a good feeling knowing that you can still be friends with someone even after an awkward spell of uncertainty.

Last order of business possibly - Team Fortress 2 (I know how much people love TF2 on VR after all). Highlander season 9 starts in just two days! Our Medic, who I refer to as one of the leaders of our team to other people, has told me that I will be playing in the first match of the season, despite being a backup Scout for the team. Don't think I mentioned that (as if someone actually cares about the status of my Highlander career) - after playing a scrimmage as a Scout, the leaders of my team decided that I'd probably play a better Scout than Soldier, especially because of how well our backup Soldier has been doing in scrimmages. I don't mind - I'm actually having fun playing Scout in Highlanders. What more could I ask for?

I suppose another thing I could talk about is drawing as it is about to be more relevant to me really soon. I'm gradually getting better at drawing in general. I'm still not too great at it, but I'm getting better. Just the other day I was actually able to draw a face with an emotion that isn't just dots and lines, nor do the eyes look all messy; this is a first for me and I'm proud of that. I can only get better at this point because I start my Drawing I class on Tuesday, which replaces my Piano Keyboarding class. I'm going to miss playing piano every morning (and I'm sure my piano teacher is going to miss me being there), but I'm glad I'll be taking a class that I believe I'll thoroughly enjoy.

Last little bit - hockey is back! My favorite team, the Red Wings, are playing St. Louis tonight (in fact, the game is in progress as I type this). Hopefully they'll have an amazing shortened season and end up winning the shortened Stanley Cup. Good luck to everyone's favorite team this season, unless your favorite team is playing the Red Wings. *raises glass*

Gotta go. My team is having a scrimmage in just a little bit and I need to get ready for it. We're playing a team that is one division above us (oh boy). It's sure to be a tough scrim, but there will be no hard feelings if we end up losing. After all, it's only a scrimmage and they are one division above us, so they are the favorite to win.

I'd like to say something wise here, but I have nothing. I guess the wisest thing I could say is no matter how hard your life is, if you still have a roof over your head and food on the table, there's at least one other person in the world who'd rather be in your situation than in the one they are in right now.

-Quad
Old January 20, 2013, 04:58:08 PM
Giratina

January 20th, 2013
Two days in a row, I'm on a roll. The only problem with updating a blog twice in two days is that it's highly unlikely that a significant amount of events worth posting about have occurred, but I suppose I can find things to put here.

One thing I'd really like to talk about is how my team's scrimmage went last night. It went rather well, better than expected. We actually managed to win against the other team, so that's a sign of how far we've come as a team. Our Soldier (not our main, someone was filling in) had connection issues near the end of the second match, though, so we ended up dropping two rounds, but we considered that a win because they had an unfair advantage on us. Although, I didn't feel like I contributed much to my team last night. It didn't help with the fact that our frame rates kept dropping due to server faults, so my aim was a bit shaky. Tomorrow's match will hopefully be better.

Next order of business would have to be my stories and the status of them. I honestly feel like I'm rushing the stories a bit; not giving anytime for any major things to build and have a great impact. I can change that easily in Secrets of Swordplay because it's still early in the plot, but The Right Versus the Good is going to be a bit harder to change because I'm already half way through the plot I've developed in my mind. The best way I can change that would be to add sub-plots so there's more stuff worth reading. An interesting bit - when I type up the stories, I think about as if it were a show like FMA: Brotherhood or something like it. Not sure why, but it helps me visualize the characters and the story.

Things are getting a bit boring around my house. I never feel like I have something to do when that's false in every way possible. I have a few ideas of what I could do to occupy time. One of those ideas is to get back into recording. I actually recorded two different clips of TF2 not too long ago, the first one being somewhat of a test and the second went perfect... until I played the video back to find out that I had my mic off the entire time. I'll record again when I feel like it (and I will make myself feel like it soon).
Another idea is to start a Nuzlocke Run of Blue Version. I thought of doing this after finding out Reun is doing a Nuzlocke Run of Platinum and the fact that I actually really want to replay Blue Version. Reun, if you're reading this, I'm deeply concerned on your choice of starters. Personally, I would've gone with Chimchar just so I would have Fire and Fighting for the later parts of the game, but I'm sure you have your reasons for choosing Piplup and best of luck to you.
Last thing I could probably do is a mixture of what I've been doing and what I want to do - recording Touhou and giving live commentary (nobody saw that coming, did they?). Why would I do such a thing? I think it would be interesting to have commentary on a game like Touhou. The only issue I see is Touhou isn't exactly the most popular series, so it might not get a ton of attention. Although, if I can make interesting commentary, it doesn't matter how popular the series is, people will watch the videos over and over and tell their friends about it. Popularity will grow simply by word-of-mouth.

Have I mentioned how difficult it is to make nice looking eyes in drawings? No? Well it's rather difficult, at least for me it is. I've decided to watch a few episodes of Sword Art Online and pay close attention to the eyes to see what I can do to improve the look of my drawings' eyes. One thing I really want to draw is a female Scout. It's been done plenty of times before, yes, but that's not the point. The point is drawing something I want to draw and making it look nice. That drawing class will definitely come in handy pretty soon.

I could go off about something right now involving Minecraft, but I think I've typed up enough for today. I'll rant about Minecraft some other time. For now, I think I'm going to play some Team Fortress 2 and work on my aim as a Scout so I'm prepared for tomorrow's match. Season 9 starts tomorrow.

-Quad
See you, Space Cowboy...
Old January 30, 2013, 03:14:01 PM
Giratina

January 30th, 2013
Things haven't really gone as planned in the above post. I've only recorded one thing of TF2 and I didn't exactly like that recording so I'm not going to bother editing it. I have yet to start the Blue Nuzlocke I said I'd start, mainly because I haven't bothered to grab my GBA.

Trying to remember what it was I was going to rant about in Minecraft... I think it had something to do with enjoying it. You see, this might seem pretty obvious but, the only way you can enjoy Minecraft at all is giving yourself something to do in the world and I seem to be failing at doing that. Not only have I not given myself a project to work on in MC, but every time I see the rows of chests for my organization plans, I get a bit discouraged because I'm not sure how to organize everything. One project I considered was building a watchtower on my island, but then I remembered I'm a pretty terrible builder of structures in MC. I guess it's just a matter of experience. You don't start off being a building master like Arkas (ever seen his MindCrack house?) or Etho. You have to work for it, like everything else, but that's a problem for me because of one glaring fact - I'm impatient. If I'm not immediately good at something, I tend to quit if I'm able to, but I need to kick that habit square in the face. I just need to start by making small projects, even if they don't serve a real purpose, then work my way up gradually to full-sized structures. The more you do something right, the more you'll figure out how to do better.

Gonna make this quick because I know not a lot of people care, but TF2 Highlander week 2 match was on Monday (which was the start of the Regular Season). My team did very well and we ended up winning the match 4 rounds to 1. I even surprised the captain by how well I did for this being my first season in Highlander, let alone first time being Scout in Highlander. Apparently, one of the TF2 match casters (commentators) that has cast plenty of matches in Highlander in higher divisions is going to be casting our match soon, which is impressive considering we're just a Steel team (remember - division orders are Iron -> Steel -> Silver -> Gold -> Platinum).

As of right now, I have two goals that I have set for myself, not including being the best Scout possible. The first of which is to beat Touhou 6 without using a continue so I can unlock to Extra stage. Not going to say much because I don't have much to say, but I am certainly getting close. How close? I'm able to consistently get to the final stage without using a continue (which is more than I can say two weeks ago).

The second personal goal is to become skillful in making videos in Source Film Maker. I remember the first time I downloaded and used SFM - I was able to load a map and a Sniper in a T-Stance, but I was lost on how to do anything else - and that was around the time SFM became available to everyone. Now I'm going back to it, but first I'm going to take a look at all the SFM Tutorials Valve has so kindly put up on YouTube. Sooner or later, I'll be able to make amazing SFM videos like this (which won the 2012 Saxxy Award for Best Overall. I can't watch this without tearing up a bit), or this (which I believe won the 2012 Saxxy Award for Best Drama), or possibly even this (which I think was a finalist for Drama). I need to watch the videos and literally write down notes because there is about 15 tutorial videos on SFM and there's no way I'm going to remember everything that is mentioned in the videos.

Recently got back into Cave Story+. By "got back into" I mean "I restarted the game". The main reason I restarted was because of one character that I failed to save the first time through and I was determined to save her this time. I believe I've done so this time through, but I have a save point right after saving her just in case there was something I missed.
If you decide to pick up Cave Story+ in the future, whether it's on the 3DS, WiiWare, or on Steam and you are determined to save this character, here's how (and this won't make any sense unless you've played the game):
To save some space...    
After making your way through the Labyrinth, you'll see Professor Booster fall down a ravine. Do NOT talk to him because he will give you the Jetpack, which will make it impossible for you to save Curly. Just move onto the next room and open the blast doors. Before talking to Curly (which starts the boss fight), head towards the back of the room and pick up the sparkling item in the water, which is a Tow Rope. After beating the boss and after Curly gives you her Air Tank, inspect her body - doing this will give you the option to tow her body on your back (assuming you grabbed the Tow Rope). Once she's on your back and you're out of the boss room, save your game because the next part is a bit tricky to pull off without the jetpack (even trickier if you don't have the Level 3 Machine Gun). Make your way through the Waterway like you normally would. Midway through, you'll be sent flying through the water by jet streams and there is a short period where you'll be sent out of the water then go back in with downward-streams. That moment where you are out of the water, there is a ledge you can stand on with a door that leads to a room with a bookshelf, a bed, and a computer in it. Time your jump right (or shoot downward with the Lv3 Machine Gun when you're out of the water) to land on the ledge and enter the room. Once you do that, rest in the bed, examine the computer, then examine the notebook. After doing this, you'll learn how to drain flooded robot systems, then examine Curly's body on the bed to drain her system. Congrats - you saved Curly... almost.

After you drain her system, take her with you through the Waterway. After beating the boss, she'll float away (it's okay, that's normal). Continue on until you get to the Plantation. Near the bottom of the Plantation, you'll see her in a bed next to some creature. She's forgotten her memories. Talk to the creature, then Curly, then the Creature again. He'll tell you there is a mushroom that can bring back memories. Head back to the Cemetery in Mimiga Village and look for a door that you can reach with the Booster that you get from Professor Booster in Arthur's House. Inside will be a mushroom you can talk to. Tell him you have business with him and every time he says something like "You sure you need this?" say yes and when he says something like "So you don't need this?" say no. He'll give you the mushroom badge after a few. Examine the badge to learn it's a fake and talk to him again. This will initiate a boss battle with him. Defeat him and head back to Curly and shove the mushroom in her mouth (no really, that's what you do). Once you do, she'll remember everything, including some things before you two got on the island. After she's done, talk to her again to get the Iron Bond item.

Now you've truly saved Curly and you are one step closer to the Best Ending.

I know this doesn't make any sense if you've never played Cave Story, but now you'll have a guide on how-to save the greatest support character (in my opinion, at least) if you ever decide to play-through Cave Story.

If you're patiently waiting for the next part of Secrets of Swordplay, don't worry - it will be worth the wait (hopefully). I have the framework for the next few parts planned out already and those parts will be setting up plots and sub-plots. If you haven't checked out SoS yet, why not check it out? Never know - you might end up enjoying it. /ShamelessPlug

That's all for this post. Oh, if you have any ideas for what I should build in my MC world, please tell me because I have no idea on what to build. I suppose I'm just clueless because of the upcoming Redstone Update (if you don't know, I'm not the best with Redstone and even that is an understatement). If you give me a build idea, I'll show you the final build when I'm done with it.

See you Space Cowboy... (Oh, forgot to mention I've been getting into Cowboy BeBop a bit)

Last edited by Quadcentruo; January 30, 2013 at 07:17:04 PM.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:29:32 PM
Giratina

February 6th, 2013
Oh look. Another blog post. What shall I type about today? There's just so much to choose from that I cannot possible choose them all. At least I can talk about a few, but what shall those few be?

The first I can talk about, I suppose, would be my AP English class. You see, my English teacher is most likely the smartest man I've ever met and he has the ability to make an AP class seem deceptively easy in the first semester, but viciously brutal in the second semester. The reason I say that is because I have around four things I have to do all at once in this class alone where in the first semester I was given little amounts of work at all. I have a 2500 word minimum essay on The Odyssey, describing why the timeline of the story is not in chronological order. I also have several assignments relating to one piece of poetry, which are to be done in the similar format as the Odyssey essay with just about the same amount of words too. There's also the reading assignment on a book I don't have which the first half of is due this week.
Oh, the Odyssey essay is due next week and the next part of the poetry assignment is due within the next two weeks. Neither of which I've started.

Okay, that's cleared off my chest. What next? Why Highlander of course! Two days ago, my team faced off against a supposedly strong team, they were the favorite to win according to the prediction tool on the UGC forums, and we ended up winning 5-0. Now we are #2 in the Power Rankings for our division, meaning we are starting to catch the eyes of the rest of the teams in our division. I said it last week (to my team) and I'll say it again - my team is a sleeper team and we will slap everyone in the face.

Oh, Fraps. I'm sorry I haven't been giving you enough attention, but it's hard to get any recording done when people tend to intrude in my privacy, especially when it's my sister. I have this brilliant idea to record Cave Story+, partly as if I were the main character and partly breaking the fourth wall at times (think Freeman's Mind if the fourth wall broke). Or at least, that was my original plan, but when thinking it over, it seemed like it would be better just to act like a clueless player of Cave Story+ rather than the character. Only problem with recording is privacy. Now that my sister has moved back in with my mom, she acts like the house is hers again and trying to record with her in the house would be a bit embarrassing because she would probably say something like "Uhh... what're you doing?" You see, it's things like this that make me not want to talk to my mom or sister whenever they say "You should try to be more social, you never say anything about your life." I never say anything because if I did say anything about my personal life to my mom or sister, I might as well have thrown up Rubix Cubes and told them to solve them all. This is going to sound like the rebel teen, but my mom and sister don't understand the things I'm interested in - recording videos for YT, Touhou, Highlander matches, computer hardware - it's all a foreign language to them (one of them literally being a foreign language without a patch).

What next? Oh wait, personal life? Partially...? If you haven't noticed (I almost didn't), my activity on the forum has taken a slight drop recently. I thought it was because I've been playing too much Cave Story+ and TF2, but that's not it at all. It's because I made the silly choice to join my school's pit for the musical. It's been making me rather tired when I get home. Since last month almost, I've been getting home around 5-5:30 on school days and it's making me exhausted. Once I'm done eating dinner and I settle down a bit on my computer, all I want to do is sleep, but that would be a great waste of time. It's only going to get worse until the Sunday after next, which is the final show day for the musical. After that, my activity should rise a bit and I should be feeling fine.

...and it's because of that musical that I've been getting worse at Touhou. Might sound a bit silly to get upset about, but it would be like if you were on the track team and you've been trying to get a lower time then suddenly you get hit with 100 school assignments and when you get back to track, your time has gone up since your last run. I was getting pretty close to beating the entire game without continuing, but last time I played, I couldn't even get past Stage 4 (of 6) without continuing. What I have to give up to be in the musical pit... is it worth it? I don't know. Haven't thought about it.

I just have too much I want to do and not enough time to do it. Play TF2, play Cave Story+, record Cave Story+, play Touhou 6, play Touhou 10.5, work on my drawing abilities, think of the next part in Right Versus Good, think of the next part in Secrets of Swordplay (think of how I can increase SoS' popularity without making it seem like I'm selling it out), work on my English assignments, clean my room. I guess this is why people make schedules. Maybe I should do that - make a schedule. That might mean I have days where fun is not allowed... when did the fun police confiscate my fun? Growing old is no fun....

I guess the first thing I should do is work on my English assignments. The last thing I'd want to do is get lazy right at the finish line of high school and make my college of choice have second thoughts on handing me the Dean's Scholarship.

In my free time at school, I think I should start writing down thoughts on a new story I thought of. Nothing's really developed yet, but it does have an interesting character where he is mute and he conveys his emotions through the music he plays over speakers. My free time will be spent with that or either writing down ideas for video rants for YT or just sketches I attempt. Still can't get heads to look nice, but I'm starting to get the eyes just fine.

Haven't watched much Cowboy BeBop since last blog post. It's not easy to do so, but I'll find a way. Oh, I'm still looking for ideas for builds in MC so I can actually use Minecraft again. I haven't played it in awhile because I haven't felt the need to. So please - give me something to do in that game.

That's enough for the night. I'm too tired to want to do anything else.

See you Space Cowboy...

Last edited by Quadcentruo; February 6, 2013 at 05:34:49 PM.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:15:02 PM
Giratina

Default Dragging my feet into the front door

February 16th, 2013
Sigh. It's been a little while since I've posted in here. You can thank my school's musical for that one. After about a month of after-school rehearsals, we have five shows to perform in four days. Today was the fourth show. Tomorrow is the fifth and final show. I'm glad this thing will finally be over, it's eating up all my time that I could be using for playing TF2, working on my castle in MC, writing more of my story, or literally anything else. If nothing else, I did manage to make a friend out of being in the pit for the show (the pit for a musical is the group who play the music, in case you didn't know). That's a win for me.

I mentioned a story in that last block of text. Might as well elaborate on that. During rehearsals for the musical, I would get bored, so I decided to bring my unused notebook with me and write down characters for my story. Already got down a large portion of characters and I've already started writing the first chapter. The basic plot is about a teenager who is part of a rebel group to overthrow the man who took control of the world with his powers and the teen has been given a device that allows him to travel back in time. The teen is ordered to go back to the point of time where the dictator is just a teenager in high school and then kill him, only problem is the teen doesn't know who the dictator is in the past. The setting for the past is actually in modern times, where the present time in the story is fifty years from now. The story is about the teen trying to find and eliminate the dictator in the past while trying not to blow his cover in the past and fight with the rebels in the present.
Unfortunately for any of you who are interested, I will not be posting any of the story itself until I finish the entire thing.

Update on my recordings: I've decided I will not be satisfied with my recordings until I get a better microphone. Sure, my headset is decent, but it's not good enough for recording standards. What I'm looking for is a microphone that can be placed on a desk (so a microphone with a mini-stand) so I can place a pop filter in front of it, or even a microphone with a built-in pop filter would be nice. So far, I've found a few different microphones that have what I'm looking for, one that even has a built-in pop filter. However, good microphones are a bit expensive - one of the few I found being around $150 - but the one that has the built-in pop filter is on sale right now on Newegg for around $32 (plus shipping... darn it). Hopefully that deal will last a bit longer so I can take advantage of it tomorrow or on Monday. The one major flaw of being under 18 and having a bank account at my bank is I can't use my bank card as a debit card so I can purchase things online easily. If I can't get that microphone before the deal is up, I'll have to pay $80 for it....

Oh, and because it's been a little while since I've posted in this blog, I'll let everyone know that I have started my Blue Nuzlocke. I originally went with Bulbasaur, but restarted and went with Squirtle because I figured it would be better in the long run for having a decent water type. As far as I'm concerned, I won't need a grass type because the types it would be strong against (ground, water, rock) can easily be covered by other types that I'll use a bit more often (example: Squirtle can cover ground/rock and water won't be a big issue to begin with).
I haven't gotten very far yet. Only at Viridian City post-Oak's Parcel. My team so far is Squirtle (Frank, Lv. 9), Pidgey (Twitcher (I'm surprised this name fit in 1st Gen's limits), Lv. 3), and Rattata (Bah, Lv. 2). I was hoping to get a Mankey on the route west of Viridian, or even a Nidiran but Rattata had to show up. I'm hoping (but I highly doubt) I will find a Pikachu in Viridian Forest. That'll be the highlight of my Nuzlocke if I manage to find that one. As for the route right before Viridian Forest, I'm hoping for a Caterpie. Butterfree seems more useful than Beedrill in the long run. The one thing I'm worried about in this Nuzlocke is not having my team be high enough level to progress through gyms. You know what that means? Grindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrind breathe grindgrindgrindgrindgrind. Will it be worth it? Dunno, maybe.

Oh! Oh! Almost forgot! I managed to beat Touhou 6 without using a continue (Cue: M. Bison). I felt like I thoroughly stomped all six stages, but even so, the final battle made me tense. Had four lives going into it, had two lives at the end of it. Saved the replay of my completion (because Touhou has that ability for bragging rights I'm assuming). What does this mean exactly? Well, it means the Extra Stage has been unlocked for the character and spell card that I used to beat the game with. (For those who don't know, there are two characters that have two different spell cards each: Reimu and Marisa. I beat the game with Reimu A, which is the Spirit Sealing Sign spell card, which gives homing shots at the cost of a bit of power behind the shots fired. The player in the video I linked to is using Reimu B, which has more powerful and more rapid shots, but at the cost of range)

It's odd... when I started typing up this post, I was feeling really tired and wanted to go to sleep. I started typing this up about an hour ago from the time of this post. I started looping Balcony from Cave Story's OST and suddenly I feel awake and relaxed. Music is a pretty good medicine for a lot of things, isn't it? I think I'll go watch my completion run of Touhou 6 and call it a night.

Final words for this post: I'm enjoying Cowboy BeBop quite a bit ever since I got the complete series on video. Got through about half of it so far. My favorite episode would have to be either Ballad of Fallen Angels or Pierrot la Fou. Waltz For Venus is a pretty close second though.

Easy come, easy go
-Quad
Old March 5, 2013, 03:33:16 PM
Giratina

March 5th, 2013
Two weeks and no entry, huh? That needs to be fixed. Part of the reason for no entries recently has been due to my drop in activity on the forums. At first, it was me being busy with the musical, but that has passed. Now it's partly because I've been getting into the TF2 trading a bit more. Maybe a bit too into trading. Also, TF2 Highlander has kept me occupied a bit.

Oh boy, I have an excuse to talk about Highlander. The season is coming along nicely. We had our first lost last week, but it's not a big deal. We bounced back with a win last night and now we are sitting in 4th place for our division with a 5-1 record. I've been practicing quite a bit with some teammates recently and it showed last night. I have to get even better, though. Playoffs (which I will now be referring to as "playoofs") start in three weeks.

On to something that won't leave my mind - the stories I've been posting on this site. I feel kind of bad for not updating them because I've been creating more content for each story (more so Secrets of Swordplay), but I haven't bothered to post them. That's partly due to the drop in activity I've taken. I have started a new story in my notebook (like I might've mentioned before). That's coming along steadily, but I wish the pace would pick up a bit of me writing. I would write more, but I've been busy with trying to get my grades up.
Tip: Don't get lazy at the final stretch of high school. You'll regret ever contracting senioritis.

Other than those two things, nothing too noteworthy to type up. I have started taking notes on SFM tutorials. Currently I have one page of notes written down and that comes from two of the tutorial videos out of 12. I think I'm starting to be less lazy with this simple self-motivation:
"Find something to do. If you can't, do something productive."

I'll try to update SoS and TRvG as soon as I can. Maybe tonight, but that's still a tossup to decide. Sorry for the short entry, but it's the best I can do.

Adios, cowboy
-Quad
Old March 18, 2013, 05:13:36 PM
Giratina

Default Thoughts - Inspirational and Troublesome

March 18th, 2013
I've been thinking quite a lot lately. Mainly really deep stuff about the future. It sparked when I started thinking how close I am to graduation and how close college is. Every time I think about it, I tremble a bit in awe.

Possibly the biggest thing that's been on my mind is my career. It latched onto my thoughts awhile ago and now it won't let go. The career I seem to be settling into is computer science, namely software engineer (or "computer programmer"). However, the more I work in my Java programming class, the more I start to realize how I don't fully enjoy that kind of stuff. I like computers, but software was something I never truly enjoyed learning about. When it comes to computers, hardware is something I find more enjoyable, so I think I would enjoy being a hardware engineer more than a software engineer. I have sent the papers to my university of choice saying "computer science" for my major though, but I'm sure I could change that relatively easy. On the other hand, though, I think computer programmers are more in demand than computer hardware engineers simply because smartphones and tablets are starting to gain ground among the less tech-savy people. If I do end up as a software engineer, I might end up working for a phone company like LG or Samsung. Although, working at Samsung couldn't be too bad.

Despite all that, there is one thing that I enjoy even more than computer hardware and software - writing. I only just recently figured it out, but I enjoy making stories. Thought about that one night when I was thinking about where all of my stories are currently. It reminded of when I was a little kid where I would make up stories while trying to fall asleep. The only problem with being an author for a living is it's hit-or-miss: if a book you published doesn't sell well, your way of living might have to change until it either sells well (somehow) or you write another story that sells well. I'd imagine it would be stressful to be an author for a living if you aren't a well-known author.
Even with that depressing bit of info looming overhead, it's come to the point where I could probably create a setting, character, and basic plot from just staring at things I see everyday. That's how The Right Versus the Good came to be - after seeing just how terrible people at my school can be, I thought to myself "What if there was a character who killed people who just don't deserve to live, yet the law says they must?" (Reading that over, it's a horrible thought, but that's what happened) What I'll probably end up doing (if at all possible (and I don't understand why it shouldn't be)) is work as a computer programmer or hardware engineer (whichever happens) and write stories for a hobby.

Another less concerning issue that's been on my mind lately is my recording habits, i.e., they don't exist. Thank you "The Oatmeal" for your grammar comic on how to use "i.e." in a sentence.
Just recently, I got a nice desktop microphone with a pop-filter built into the device itself so my recordings sound nicer, but now I've run into a few different issues in regards to recording:
The first of which being time. This probably isn't very valid because a good hour of my free time at least is spent sitting at my computer desk wondering what to do.
The second reason, being more valid than the other one, is privacy. It's amazing how nobody that lives in my house can grasp the concept of people recording videos and placing them on YT regularly. I'd be one of those people if the fact that I'd get odd looks from my family wasn't always poking at me in the back of my mind.
Third reason, even more valid than the previous two, is content of videos. Knowing what to record is not the problem. Knowing what to put into that recording is. Any attempts at recording ends up with just too much silence scattered about or not very interesting commentary. Every time I have a bad recording and then watch some well-known commentator's videos, it amazes me how they've managed to create interesting commentary in every video. Guess it's just repetition to learn how to speak to yourself while not sounding crazy at the same time. I am reassured by this fact whenever I look at older recordings of well-known commentators because their older works are never as good as their newer works.
Forth and possibly the most detouring reason why I don't record is recording. Even though it sounds redundant, it really isn't when you think about it (or when I explain it). I decided to stop using Camtasia as a recording and editing program and rely on it solely for editing videos and Fraps for recording videos. However, there's an issue here - audio levels. One nice thing Camtasia did was their .camrec files, which allowed you to control the audio levels for different audio sources (meaning I could raise the volume of my microphone while lowering the volume of my system sounds), however this created heavy slowdowns in not only recordings, but editing as well. While Fraps isn't nearly as resource heavy as Camtasia when recording, it can only merge the audio sources into one sound bar because it records in .avi format. Because of this, game audio and voice audio would always sound jumbled up (I even had this issue back in my Torchlight 2 videos. I had to adjust the audio levels of the game to near silent just so I could be heard).
Thankfully, I have this handy-dandy program called "Audacity" which is a sound recording and editing software, meaning I can have two different audio files to edit when in Camtasia. HOWEVER! As of right now, I don't know of a way to start Audacity recording and Fraps recording at the same time, meaning I have to start one before the other and cut out the excess recording during editing, making it rather awkward to record and guess-and-check to edit.
I'll get this worked out sometime soon hopefully and get to that Cave Story hard mode runthrough I've been wanting to get through. Maybe on graduation day where half my graduating class will be off at a party hosted by the school and I won't be going; I'll just end up staying home and record all of Cave Story Hard Mode in one night. 10pm est to 5am est of nothing but recording and Cave Story+. One thing is for sure - I'll either hate recording or Cave Story+ by the end of it all.

Last thing I've been thinking about is myself. What my faults are and what I can do to improve them. Biggest fault I know of is you could describe me as being a reticent person, meaning I'm quiet, especially when it comes to talking about myself (you wouldn't guess it by this blog, would you?). As for ways I could improve this, I looked at a friend of mine who happens to be friends with everyone in the band (awesome guy). Whenever we're in groups in the lunch-line or something similar, he would always have something to say and I noticed a lot of what he says has something to do with a family member of his, a story he's heard about a family member, or something to do with himself. When I thought about this, I thought "Now what about myself could I talk about that would be interesting in conversation?" Unfortunately, the next card I drew had only one word on it - "Blank." I think one of the biggest issues why I drew a blank is because I have an irrational fear that everyone around me that isn't good friends with me secretly hates me and even then I think some of my good friends are not-so-good friends and secretly hate me too and only talk to me to not make me hang myself or something. Not in a very good position here, am I?
Another thing I've noticed that is a very easy topic to talk about it talking about others and what others have done - almost like gossip. I don't think I could stand to do something like that because I feel like a bad person whenever I talk about someone I feel neutral towards when the topic about said person is not positive (might not be negative, but I still feel bad).
I've also known for quite a while (simply by working it out in my head from previous experiences) that finding common ground is a great starting point for making friends. Only problem with this is finding common ground. One friend I made happened because I was talking with another friend about a certain video game and the guy next to us said "Oh, you like that game too?" and then a conversation had snowballed from there. When it comes to meeting someone new and having absolutely no knowledge of their interests, however, it seems you just have to throw yourself out there, along with a few of your interests, and hope you two share a similar interest somewhere along the line. When I think about this, I immediately think of "music" and how it's sad that I'm a band student of seven years and don't listen to music frequently like everyone else in the music program at my school (this is not including video game soundtracks. That shifts the topic from "music" to "video games" and video games only hit half the time).

When I think all of this over, what my future is going to be like most likely, what I have planned to record and how to record it, what my flaws are and how I can fix them, it amazes me that I can notice all of this and conjure up ways to fix those problems, but I somehow never succeed at fixing said problem. Maybe I just lack one key element.

Confidence - the ability to attempt something and not fear failure or rejection.

-Quad

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text. I had a lot to say today.
Old March 20, 2013, 05:13:04 PM
Giratina

Default The Least Stressful Stressful Situation

March 20th, 2013
You know, if I could walk into a thread dancing, I would, but in today's technology, I can't even walk in the internet, so dancing in the real world will have to do.

I'm in an unusually good mood right now. Maybe it's "Sing, Sing, Sing" getting to me (because I'm listening to it at the time of typing this up). I recently made a playlist for myself on YT with some songs to listen to that aren't from video game soundtracks with the exception of "Heartful Cry" from Persona 3. I did this mainly so I could shuffle songs and constantly listen to music while I do something on the computer without having to pause my work and load up a new song. It currently sits at 24 songs, but I'm sure that list will grow as I think of new songs or find new songs that I like.

When I think about it, I shouldn't be in a good mood today because of what's currently going on around me. To start off, I was given the disappointing news of being unable to work at a company where the owners are good friends with both my uncle and grandpa, making it near certain that I would've gotten the job, but the problem is they close at 4 and I don't get out of school until 2:30 or so. Because of that, the man I had to call said it wouldn't make sense right now time-wise and to call him back when school gets close to getting out for the year. Least I have a summer job waiting for me.

There's also the pressing issue of my AP English class. I have two assignments due Monday, neither of which I've started, along with a reading quiz on Monday on about 16 chapters (or rather "Cantos") of Dante's "Inferno." Currently at Canto XXII and I have to get to the end of Canto XXXIV by Monday. This also happens to be the only class that can deny me from graduating if I happen to fail it. Currently, I'm sitting at a solid D (about 65% in the class). Oddly enough, I'm not in the least bit stressed.

And graduation is coming ever so close. June 1st will be the day I will finally be done with high school, then I'm off to college in August. I'll be living on campus, so I'll have to take care of myself for just about everything. Don't have a job currently, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get a car to get up to the campus then find a job near the campus. Subsidized loans, maybe? Don't think I could get one for a car, though.

Then there's the (lesser) issue of prom quickly approaching and I don't have a date, nor is there anyone that I'd want to take. A friend of mine said she'll go with me as a friend (she asked me, oddly enough, being a sophomore), but I told her I'd rather go with a girl that I'm dating to make it more special and lasting in my memory. Plus, with tickets being at $60 per ticket, I need to make sure I'm going to enjoy prom. If I can't find a date (which seems pretty probable that I won't), I won't go. Simple as that.

And the cherry to top off the sundae is my headset, which has served me well for at least three years is starting to fault. The headphones part of the headset don't always project audio and will only do so if it's positioned properly, making it more frustrating to use. Gonna have to get a new one soon, but I can't afford to spend a whole lot of money right now.

Even with all this starting to swarm me right now, I'm not all that stressed. Could be the music getting to me. Maybe I'm just not taking the situation seriously enough, or maybe I know that things will work out for the better in the end. If you keep a negative attitude towards negative things, it'll only get worse, but keeping a positive attitude towards negative things will turn negatives into positives.
I know this, so I keep my chin up and my thoughts positive to keep things positive. Nothing good happens just because you want it to, after all. You gotta make it happen somehow.

-Quad
Old March 22, 2013, 03:05:16 PM
Giratina

March 22nd, 2013
Bit of an earlier post today, but I had a rough day yesterday and today was basically the fix to yesterday.

There were only two significant events yesterday, but they were pretty heart-aching to say the least. The first event has an entire story behind it:
There's a girl I'd like to take to prom, but we haven't talked at all, so my friend said to ask this one girl I've known for a little while who is friends with the first girl. I was going to when I saw her (which happened to be after school), but my friend stopped me and said (word for word): "Umm... I don't know how to tell you this, but... she said she doesn't know you so she said it would be awkward to go to prom with you."
My thoughts at this moment: "When did I say 'Ask her to prom for me?'" So there was some communication error there between me, my friend, and the girl who was going to talk to the girl I like for me.
All I could listen to last night was Creep because I found it to describe my feelings and thoughts pretty accurately.

The second event to put me in a worse mood was my mom had to be admitted to the hospital after feeling sick and having some bladder issues. I would later find out she had a kidney stone backing up her... well, you know, causing her kidney to swell and become infected. She went through surgery to have a device placed inside her that would help ease the swelling. No, they didn't have to cut her open, but she did have to stay overnight.

I was so low in hopes that I went to bed at 9, when I normally go to bed at around 10 or so. Didn't get a good night sleep and ended up not being able to focus for the first half of the school day (along with having an odd headache).

Thankfully, by the second day, I could focus and, after talking with a couple of people in my 6th hour about my situation with the girl I like, I decided to fix what was broken with the girl. During passing time, I went up to her and explained my side of the story, saying I didn't want to ask her to prom if I didn't know her too well and I'd really rather be friends at this point in time. She understood and seemed happy that I cleared up that ugly little situation.
I couldn't tell you how nervous I was to tell her all that. I would've been nervous even had I been friends with her. Remember - we have never talked before that, so having to get personal like that with someone I barely know was very difficult. I just told myself what I said two blog posts ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo
Confidence - the ability to attempt something and not fear failure or rejection
To be honest, the moment I saw her at her locker, I nearly said "Nope. Can't do it. Won't end well." I'm starting to think that people don't hate me, but it's my mind that hates people.

Also, my mom is just fine today. She was discharged from the hospital after making a fine recovery from surgery. She won't be going to work tonight, but she won't be in the hospital either.

I swear, I learn something new about myself all the time. Last night reminded me of why I never bothered to open up to people or show emotions. Made me think of how I got to that point and I traced it back to middle school. I also happened to trace my irrational fear back to this point and they are both from the same cause - trust issues. Back in middle school, I was picked on quite a bit and I was getting emotionally hurt a lot from a few different people after opening up to them (for example: an ex of mine from middle school started spreading rumors about me supposedly and wouldn't talk to me about it). There was also one kid who pretended to be friends with me just to spread rumors about me behind my back.
That was just where it started, too. Supposedly, people were saying bad things about me up until last year (people from the other high school were talking about me at least). My sister would say stuff along the lines of how people from the other school were always talking bad about me (because she went to the other school) and I had no way to confirm this, so I just didn't believe her. There is also my ex from last year who now has an irrational hatred for me and won't mature enough to realize she's a junior in high school now. I said some pretty personal things about myself when we were dating and now she is spreading rumors about me to her friends. I can't even look at her without her snickering to herself.
All of these things attributed to my trust issues throughout high school. Looking back, it made high school much less enjoyable and if I could, I would go back and find a way to make it better, but I can't so I'll just have to change the present to make the future better for myself.

It just goes to show you - middle school is the worst time in someone's childhood because kids don't know how to deal with bullies who mess with their emotions because kids don't know how to control their emotions most of the time.

-Quad
Old March 24, 2013, 04:49:16 PM
Giratina

March 24th, 2013
This weekend was rather dull. Nothing to do and I was too lazy to do anything productive. Saturday flew by faster than a kid on a slip-n-slide going down hill (to the point where I can't remember Saturday's events) and today was just me sitting at my computer playing Touhou and watching AVGN. Overall, I'd say good day. Ended up not blinking half the day because of Touhou.

On the other hand, I did nothing productive. The reading I had to do for AP English? The assignment I hadn't started? Didn't read and didn't start. Due tomorrow. Don't know why, just couldn't bring myself to do work today, or this weekend at all. It's a good thing my English teacher lets us turn in late work with no penalty to our grade. I just have to make sure to turn in that assignment before my last day so, or at the very least, not fail the class.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day, to say the least. Now that I've cleared up the ugly situation with the girl I like, where do I go from here? Do I try to talk to her in the halls or do I go about my days as normal with the occasional "hello" to her if I see her in the halls? I want to be good friends with her, but I don't want to make her think I'm some weirdo. If only I was like some other people I know who could talk to anyone and be friends with them (or at the very least, on friendly ground) in minutes.

Shorter post today because nothing really happened over the weekend, plus I have a scrimmage for Highlander to get to in a bit. I promise that by the end of the week, I'll have a much more interesting post.

Guess I can leave off with some words of wisdom:
Don't lie. Not to others and not to yourself because someone will start to notice inconsistencies between what you said and what they see.

-Quad
Old April 20, 2013, 05:24:32 PM
Giratina

April 20th, 2013
Nearly a whole month has gone by without a blog post, huh? Doesn't surprise me, really. Haven't been in the mood to talk too much, nor has my activity really been too great recently. My guess is life has gotten pretty real really fast and it only gets more real the closer I get to graduating.

So, about that one girl I mentioned in the last blog post - nothing has happened between us. Haven't talked to her since making things up with her, mainly because I don't know what to say and I feel like things would be awkward between us. I've pretty much given up on trying to talk to her because I don't things will work.

Awkwardly shifting over to the next topic: The current status of my friendship with a girl I like is in a bit of a weird state. We've been good friends since nearly the beginning of the year, but I'm starting to wonder if she trusts me at all and if she doesn't want to be with me only because her friends are telling her not to.
These thoughts stemmed back to one day where we hung out, it was on a Thursday I believe. She brought her computer over and we played some Minecraft together. After a bit, I stopped playing and started to watch her play instead, after I failed to set-up a LAN world. As I was watching her play, I started to cuddle with her. She didn't seem to be uncomfortable at the time, nor did she say anything about it the day after in school. It wasn't till the Monday after that one of her friends said "She isn't comfortable with that." I told her what her friend said and she said "Yeah, I told her not to be so harsh."
It wasn't until the day after, Tuesday, that she freaked out about what happened on the Thursday before, saying that she wasn't comfortable with that at all.
When I got home that day, I started thinking to myself "That doesn't make any sense. If she was that uncomfortable about it, wouldn't she have said something earlier?" It made me think that her friends are convincing her not to be with guys.
Gonna make a note here: Her friend that told me she wasn't comfortable with that is a lesbian and my friend is friends with this girl's girlfriend. My friend has also said she is pansexual, so my thoughts are her friends are trying to convince her to be with a girl over a guy. This is supported by the fact that she decided to go to prom with her friends (the lesbian, her girlfriend, and others) over me - which I'm fine with, but she told me her friends will only go if she goes with them and they already bought tickets. Sigh.
So there's that, but now for the trust issues - She won't tell me anything personal about herself. Most personal thing she has told me was that she's pansexual. I keep telling her personal things about me because I trust her, but now I'm starting to wonder if she cares about or trusts me.
It hurts. It really does.

Whenever I think about that or the fact that I have no other good friends like her and I can't even be sure that she trusts me, it makes me feel pretty lonely inside and discourages me from thinking about or doing anything else. The best way to combat this? Think about or do other things.
Kind of a paradox, isn't it?

Okay, so enough depressing thoughts -Cue "Scatman's World-
So, regarding my stories that I'm writing, all three of them - I've lost interest in writing them. I like the stories, don't get me wrong, but I lack the motivation to finish them. I have two other stories in mind that I find to be much more thought-out than the current ones. You see, the biggest problem I think my stories face is a lack of character development. The main plot is there, but the characters don't seem to grow or change much, if at all.

As for the two other stories, the first one is one that came from a few thoughts. First thought was: "What if everyone had suits that monitored their health and grew with people and could be upgraded based on what you did?" Second thought was: "What if there were large civilizations of people who lived underground and what if these civilizations were always at war with each other?" Third thought: "What if in the future, there was no left-handed people?" The main character of this story would be a "traditional man" as he would call himself - He wouldn't wear the bio-suits that everyone would be wearing, his dream is to see and explore the surface of the world, and he is a left handed swordsman that uses a metal sword, unlike most fighters in his time that used laser swords or blasters. He despises nearly all technology, saying it makes people lazy and is the reason why so many people keep dying.

The second story idea came from watching Sword Art Online and is somewhat similar to it. The basic plot is there is a tournament that is held every five years where the goal is to collect six pendants from the guardians of six dungeons scattered about the land used for the tournament. The participants would be swordsmen and spearmen. Each person would have their own special attacks - for example: One character (one of the main characters specifically) has the ability to set off various types of explosions using his sword by saying a mixture of words like "Blast - Long barrel!" Another character might say something like "Flash - Olympus Strike!" if they controlled lightning. Groups of up to ten are allowed, so it could be one man versus the nature and his competitors or a group of ten fighting the elements.
So far, only one character has been somewhat developed in my head right now. He has trained his entire life, learning the Blast techniques specifically for the tournament. He has a burn on the left side of his face that goes down to his neck, saying it was a "training accident." He decided to join the tournament as a one-man group, rather than grouping up with one of his friends that also signed up because he is afraid that he would hurt someone with the Blast techniques, despite the fact that if you die in the tournament, you don't actually die - you are teleported to a safe zone and are out of the tournament (although, something does go horribly wrong).

I just wish I had some spare notebooks with me so I could have one notebook for each story and work on them as I please rather than stressing out over all the ideas I have for separate stories and have no way to pin them down.

I don't have much else to talk about. I do have a video that you may or may not care to watch if you were used to watching my videos way back when:

That should explain why I haven't been making videos, what my plans are, and various other things.

By the way, something that crossed my mind:
Don't ever try to use a famous quote from a famous person to justify your actions or your stupidity or even your way of life. You should make your own quote and act and live the way you said you would.

-Quad

Last edited by Quadcentruo; April 20, 2013 at 06:39:23 PM.
Old May 7, 2013, 04:46:21 PM
Giratina

I recommend looping this while reading
May 7th, 2013
Gonna have to make this quick. Got things to do.
First thing I'd like to say is that I'm in possibly the best mood I've been in for a long time. I'm starting to become more social and as an obvious result, I'm talking to a lot of people I haven't before this year. Mostly people I only knew of in my grade, but now I'm starting to be part of conversations and not feel like I'm out-of-place. I'm even working my way to talking to that one girl again. We talked shortly yesterday in the halls; it was just some chit-chat, but small steps make long journeys. I can't slack though; I won't see her again for a long time, if at all, after May 29th, which is the last day for seniors in my school.
I will see her again. It won't be a "what if?" but a "remember when?"

Other than my growing confidence, I beat Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale today. Despite it being a rather short game, it was incredibly fun and the last week of repaying debts was intense. I had to get 300,000 money within two days of selling things and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it; It would've been bad if I didn't, too, because I didn't save at all that week. I managed to get all the money needed, though, and the ending left me in a happy mood because it was just so sweet and even a bit sad.

Thinking about it, it just makes me angry to think that there are people who don't see how video games can affect people. Video games aren't that much different than movies really - both have characters that grow from point A into a better point B, both have plots that can potentially leave people on the edge of their seats until the resolution, and both can even stick with people for a long time after it's over, even to the point where thinking back makes them weep.
Ahh... I'm going to be so glad once the Baby Boomer generation is no longer influencing anything - without them, video games would be treated just like any other part of the entertainment industry. It'll be soon and I'll be glad to see the day where I don't feel silly for saying that a video game made me a better person.

Like I said, keeping this one short. I just had to say something because of how good of a mood I'm in right now. It's making me think that no matter how much life kicks you, spits on you, and just hates you, you'll be able to stand back up and keep moving forward, showing just how much you can get the better of life, rather than life getting the better of you.

-"Not-so Mopey" Quad
Old May 14, 2013, 07:07:48 PM
Giratina

May 14th, 2013
Oh, Daft Punk, you cheeky lizards. You decided to release a new album and now that my friend showed my only the first song in the album, I feel compelled to go back to listen to stuff in your Discovery album. Where would the house genre of music be without you, Daft Punk?

Oh, right. My life, right.
Anyway, past week hasn't been the greatest, but it hasn't been so bad. I came down with a sinus infection and that's possibly the worst non-life-threatening disease the average person can get because it directly affects your nose and indirectly affects your lungs, throat, social abilities, and sleep schedule. Add that with asthma and suddenly my body has turned against me.
That little sinus infection made my short little vacation over the weekend less enjoyable because I couldn't sleep, I was blamed for everyone else being unable to sleep, and my nose turned red, flaky, and painful from all tissues I've had to use. Least I'm nearly feeling better.

But that one girl I've been talking to... as I noted in the "Admit Something" thread, I have an irrational fear where I think my peers dislike me if they don't make it clear that they don't mind my company and this girl really hasn't made it clear if she doesn't mind me being around. It's just the way she talks and word choices that have me worried. Maybe that's just the way she is because she did mention on the day I had to fix things that she isn't really great with speaking to people.
Gonna be an optimist here and go with the latter of the possibilities.
With that in mind, I think we're becoming better friends everyday that we talk... which is everyday that we're in school pretty much. I didn't go to school yesterday (due to sinus infection) or last Friday (due to it being Senior Skip Day, but also because I woke up at 2am and felt like I was dying) so I didn't get to talk to her then, but I felt like today was a good day for us. I get out in two weeks, though, so I don't have a whole lot of time to get close to her (I should probably invite her to hang out soon).

*16 Melodies playing* Ahh... I needed some relaxing music playing. Helps with everything - mood, stress, and overall well-being. Or at least, I think so.

With graduation day coming close, I really need to start playing Cave Story+ again if I hope to even have a chance at beating it on Hard mode in one night. If I don't remember boss patterns or practice Blood Stained Sanctuary at all, I won't have any chance at beating either with only 3 health, especially because literally every hazard and enemy in the Blood Stained Sanctuary does at least 5 damage to you and there's no save point or check point in the Sanctuary before the true final boss fight.
You know what that means, right?
It means I have to go through THE ENTIRE SANCTUARY without taking a SINGLE hit from ANYTHING, including the boss at the end. Won't be easy, but what's gaming without a bit of challenge here and there? *coughDevilMayCry3cough*

Two weeks left... only two things can deny me from graduating at this point - my AP English 4 class and a $3 book fee I didn't know that I had.
Yep.
I can't graduate if I don't pay the school $3 before the end of the year. Harsh, isn't it?

Done for this post. Only have one thing to say:
I wish I had some spare notebooks. One of the stories I thought of keeps developing and I only have some of the characters written down in my planner.

See ya 'round.

-Quad
Oh, by the way: I recently watched all of what's out for DBZ Abridged. Too funny and I hope Team Four Star continues the good work.
Old May 14, 2013, 07:50:27 PM
Giratina

Taking on the Sacred Grounds with only 3 HP? Someone's a little gutsy. I don't know where you are in the game if you even started it, but I definitely recommend the Snake. The ability to shoot through walls as a precaution is almost vital, even if it doesn't save time. (But who's thinking about time with practically 1 HP anyway?)