Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Announcements > News Archive > VictoryBattles

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 16, 2010, 01:54:53 AM
Kyurem

Default VictoryBattles FAQ

NOTE: This FAQ is not finished and is for a future product. Please take it with a grain of salt for now.

Gameplay
Q: I can't get into a building, location, etc.
A: Locations do not yet work. You can move within certain areas of the game, but in general this is just for demonstration.

Q: What are these trainer groups (e.g. Trainers of Kanto, Team Rocket, etc.)
A: They will be used later to determine gameplay. Like locations, they are purely demonstrative for now.

Q: How can I catch Pokémon?
A: You must first navigate to a city with a PokéMart and buy some Pokéballs. You can then go into patches of wild grass and fight (as well as catch) wild Pokémon.

Q: How can I adopt Pokémon?
A: First go to any Pokémon center, then choose "Adopt Abandoned Pokémon". You will be able to choose between eight different Pokémon - but beware, you can only choose one and the other seven will go away.

Q: What Pokémon can I adopt?
A: All non-legendary Pokémon can be adopted, but some Pokémon, like starters, are extremely rare. Make sure you are the first to get it, because it'll be gone pretty quickly.

Q: How rare are shinies?
A: There appear 1 in 100 times.

Q: How rare are starters?
A: Starters are very, very rare, appearing less than 1 in a 1000 times.

Q: How can I trade Pokémon?
A: To trade Pokémon you should go to any Pokémon center and choose "View Trades". At the bottom, select a Pokémon and a Pokémon you would like in return. Post it and wait for users to reply.

Q: How can I rename my Pokémon?
A: You must go to the Lavender Town name rater.

Q: How can I evolve my Pokémon?
A: Go to your PC, and for the Pokémon select "options", then "Evolve". You will then be able to confirm the evolution. At present not all evolutions are possible, however.

Q: How can I link my Pokémon?
A: Go to your PC, select "Options" and select "Link to Forum" or right click a Pokémon and choose "Embed". Copy and Paste the BB Code of one of the first two options. For VictoryRoad only, you can also use the [adopt]{id}[/adopt] code.

Q: Is it possible to get the link code for multiple Pokémon at once?
A: Yes. On the PC you can select Pokémon with checkboxes. Then go to "With Selected" and choose "Link on Forums" or right click and select "Embed".

Q: How do Pokémon level up?
A: Pokémon will level up when they are clicked by other people, when you battle wild Pokémon, and when you fight other trainers.

Q: How do EVs work?
A: The only way to increase your EVs is by battling other trainers and wild Pokémon. Clicking on them will not raise EVs.

Q: How does happiness work?
A: A Pokémon mainly grows in happiness when it is clicked. It does not when battling.

Preferences
Enable Styleswitcher: This enables or disables the style switcher. Disabling it may reduce bugs and load times, but is not generally recommended. (Default: On)

Style Choice: This changes your default style on both the forums and ZamFights. It also clears your defined style choice on ZamFights until you use the style switcher at the bottom of the screen again. (Default: Not Set)

Enable Browser Warning: This controls whether a warning displays if you are using an old browser. In general, it is fine if you turn this off, as it can increase page load among other things. (Default: On)

Force Screen Mode: This forces certain types of screen modes, usually simply to play around or for testing. You can choose auto-detect, which can in some cases be problematic (but is advised), "Force Standard Mode", which forces the standard layout even on mobile devices, "Force Mobile Mode", which forces the mobile layout even on standard devices, and "Force IE-7 Mode", which forces the Internet Explorer 6/7 hacks on all platforms.

Remove Ads: This removes the top banner ad. To remove it you must have both 100 posts on the forum and have adopted 200 Pokémon. If you do like it there you are free to keep it up.

The Finer Details
Q: How do I request X feature?
A: Post in this thread: http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=3749

Q: How do I report bugs?
A: Post in this thread: http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=3737

Q: Do I have to pay to use VictoryBattles?
A: Of course not! VictoryBattles is completely free in every way, and will remain that way for its lifespan.

Q: What software do you recommend I use to play VictoryBattles?
A: Opera 10.60/11.0, Mozilla Firefox 3.6, and Google Chrome are all good canidates. Mozilla Prism is also a good application for playing it. Additionally, if you are going to use Windows Internet Explorer, we strongly recommend using at least version 8.0.

Q: What are the system requirements?
A: You MUST have a JavaScript enabled web browser, usually Internet Explorer 8+, Firefox 3.6+, Google Chrome Latest, Opera 10+, or Safari 5+. You also must have cookies and AJAX enabled. Other than that, nothing specific. More detailed information can be found here.

Q: Can I play offline or without a web browser?
A: Not now, no.

Q: How can I contribute to VictoryBattles development?
A: There are a variety of ways you can contribute. One way it to invite friends to also play the game, or join our community and be active here.

Q: What software did you use to make VictoryBattles?
A: Most of the development was done with Ubuntu Linux. In particular, the KDE desktop environment with Konqueror and Kate were used for most of the coding, while The Gimp image editor and the KolourPaint image editor were used for image manipulation. Google Chrome was the primary test browser, and the application itself runs with Strict XHTML 1.0, PHP 5.3, MySQL 5, the FreeSans True-Type font, and the KDE Oxygen icons.

Q: How old should I be to play VictoryBattles?
A: There really is no age limit, but always be careful when talking to strangers - they can be kinda strange.

Q: What and when will the next release be?
A: The next release will be Beta 5. The actual features are not yet set in stone.

This is tiresome, but it means things run a lot smoother, and that future features will be easier to add.

Copyrights and Credits
Q: Who owns VictoryBattles?
A: VictoryBattles is owned by Joseph Parsons, or FreezeWarp, and Scott Cheney, or Cat333Pokémon, as a part of the Victory Road community. Joseph Parsons has done most of the development.

Q: Who owns Pokémon?
A: The Pokémon trademarks, names, and in-game graphics are the sole property of Nintendo, GameFreak Inc., and Creatures Inc. These elements are in no way the property of VictoryBattles, nor is VictoryBattles in any way affiliated with any of the companies. VictoryBattles is a fan game.

Q: Who owns the Oxygen Graphics?
A: The Oxygen Graphics, used throughout VictoryBattles, are produced by the KDE Project, and licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License version 2. This means that the graphics are free to use by anybody for non-commericial purposes.

Q: Who owns jQuery?
A: jQuery, used often throughout VictoryBattles, is owned and produced by the jQuery Team.

Q: Can I affiliate?
A: Yes and no. We'd be glad to work with your forum or fansite if you want to link to us, but for now we won't be linking back.

Last edited by FreezeWarp; January 15, 2011 at 08:30:15 AM. Reason: Beta 4 Release, "Adoptables" -> "Pokémon"
Old July 8, 2010, 09:35:23 AM
Charizard

What does it mean if there is a star right next to the word "Adopt" on the adopt page?

Also, do the evolutions of Eevee or evolutions that require trades work? What about stone-based evolutions?

Last edited by OMGITSJAD; July 18, 2010 at 01:58:40 PM.
Old July 18, 2010, 06:34:26 AM
Floatzel

Is 'Trainers of Kanto' the only Trainer group one can join? Or will the other regions represent as well?
Old July 18, 2010, 01:41:15 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Guy 2 View Post
What does it mean if there is a star right next to the word "Adopt" on the adopt page?
The Pokémon is in the Pokédex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Guy 2 View Post
Also, do the evolutions of Eevee or evolutions that require trades work? What about stone-based evolutions?
Umbreon and Espeon evolve if the Pokémon is traded and its a certain time. The stone evolutions won't work until RC1, where you will be able to get them in Celadon and the evolution methods will be modified slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade Darkrai View Post
Is 'Trainers of Kanto' the only Trainer group one can join? Or will the other regions represent as well?
For now its the only "trainer" group: more will be added when additional regions are. Likewise the Rocket group will expand if/when Hoenn and Sinnou are added.
Old September 30, 2010, 07:31:33 PM
Zoroark

I've got a question, are there any EV-reducing items available for use, like the EV-reducing berries? (Qualot, Tamato, Grepa, etc.)

Or rather, will there be any time soon? It's unlikely they're in the game as of yet.

Last edited by pokemoneinstein; September 30, 2010 at 07:41:51 PM.
Old October 1, 2010, 12:36:37 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemoneinstein View Post
I've got a question, are there any EV-reducing items available for use, like the EV-reducing berries? (Qualot, Tamato, Grepa, etc.)

Or rather, will there be any time soon? It's unlikely they're in the game as of yet.
They should be soon, yes.

(If I get a chance I'll add them since weekend since it would be quite simple.)

Last edited by FreezeWarp; October 1, 2010 at 12:37:06 PM.
Old December 27, 2010, 08:23:40 PM
Haxorus

How do you get Yoshi? I've seen many people with it, and I'm wondering if it's a custom Pokemon or something.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:44:32 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekrom123 View Post
How do you get Yoshi? I've seen many people with it, and I'm wondering if it's a custom Pokemon or something.
You can get it via adoption, though it is somewhat rare.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:37:07 PM
Regigigas

How do you evolve pokemon by stone? Also, can you nickname pokemon?
Old January 15, 2011, 08:24:22 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
How do you evolve pokemon by stone? Also, can you nickname pokemon?
To evolve via stone, you must first get the stone in the Celadon Megamart, and then go to the standard evolution page.

For rename, you must go to Lavender Town.
Old January 15, 2011, 08:29:21 AM
Regigigas

I can't get past Pewter City. How do I get to those places?
Old January 15, 2011, 09:55:18 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
I can't get past Pewter City. How do I get to those places?
Are you sure there isn't a scrollbar at the bottom, like pictured?:

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot4.png
Views:	706
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1720
Old January 23, 2011, 11:14:52 AM
Zoroark

Why can't I search for generation 5 pokemon when trading?
Old January 26, 2011, 07:43:41 AM
Volcarona

Exclamation

the stars next to "adopt" it means you have adopted,right?
i really don't know why this happens but the star is disappeared.
now i adopt the same pokemon thousands times
Old January 26, 2011, 04:21:22 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucarioLOVER View Post
the stars next to "adopt" it means you have adopted,right?
i really don't know why this happens but the star is disappeared.
now i adopt the same pokemon thousands times
Its because of a bug in beta 4. It should be fixed reasonably soon.

(Along with the trade thing mentioned above.)
Old April 1, 2011, 08:06:27 PM
Magikarp

How do you get pokemoney?