Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 7, 2014, 12:41:17 PM
Kyurem

Default Microsoft changes how Internet Explorer is supported from 2016

Looks like there's a big change to how Internet Explorer is supported starting from early 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Capriotti
For customers not yet running the latest browser available for your operating system, we encourage you to upgrade and stay up-to-date for a faster, more secure browsing experience. Beginning January 12, 2016, the following operating systems and browser version combinations will be supported:

Windows Platform Internet Explorer Version
Windows Vista SP2 Internet Explorer 9
Windows Server 2008 SP2 Internet Explorer 9
Windows 7 SP1 Internet Explorer 11
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Internet Explorer 11
Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11
Windows Server 2012 Internet Explorer 10
Windows Server 2012 R2 Internet Explorer 11
At least IE8 won't stay supported until just slightly after 2020; it's now 2016. IE9 looks like will be also killed off after Vista and the original release of Server 2008 are EOL.

Pretty much they'll be supporting only the latest version of IE supported on an in-support OS; pretty similar to what other browser makers are doing.

I must say I'm getting really excited.
Old August 7, 2014, 01:22:02 PM
Keldeo

I'm resisting the urge to make smart remarks about how it's mid-2014 and people still use IE.

Well, this'll be interesting, to say the least. Hopefully the people that do still chose to use it will see some decent improvements.
Old August 7, 2014, 02:51:15 PM
Administrator

I still use Internet Explorer, with Firefox as my backup browser. It's quite speedy on Windows 8 and 8.1.

I do not trust Chrome, especially with some of the privacy problems they deem normal. (I personally never turn on the Suggest feature in any browser.) In addition, stored passwords are incredibly easy to "hack" in Chrome, and anyone who signs into the browser pretty much gave up the keys to their privacy long ago.
Old August 7, 2014, 03:47:05 PM
Keldeo

Well, that's fair enough. I honestly can't say I've used IE since the days of Windows XP, so I don't really know how well any recent version works.
Old August 7, 2014, 04:50:05 PM
Giratina

When Chrome first came out it was cool and we all downloaded it on every school computer because it was so fast and so much more customizable than Internet Explorer. Then with each upgrade they just added all this unnecessary stuff that boggles it down and now it's like I can't even open the damn thing anymore and... that's the past. Long been uninstalled.

My primary is Internet Explorer. I use it on every device, and I wish it was on more mobile platforms, but why the hell should I care? I have a Windows Phone. IE11 is fast, secure, simple to use, and safe. What more could I want from a browser? Memory eating gimmicks? Haha no. Like Cat I also have Firefox as my secondary, but I haven't even opened it in months. I only keep it around for other people to use in case they need to use the internet, IF I let them use my computer.