Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

View Poll Results: Which design do you prefer?
Previous 11 57.89%
New 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old March 10, 2012, 07:15:23 PM
Volcarona

Question What do you think of the new YouTube Layout?

On one hand, I hear that the new YouTube Layout is garbage, and that the old one should be brought back. On the other hand, I hear that the new Layout is just fine, and that it shouldn't be changed. What are your takes on this subject?
Old March 10, 2012, 07:17:00 PM
Volcarona

Here's my take:

The new YouTube layout is terrible. You have to sift through multiple pages to find everything. Say you're a big fan of Ryan Higa, and you want to see all of his newest videos, as it's been a while since you've last watched them.

Now let's say you have a bad computer. You go to his YouTube Channel, and you see his Feed Tab. Because you have no idea what you're doing, it takes you, what, 5 minutes just to find out that clicking the Videos Tab, takes you where you want to go? Not quite. Your computer is slow, remember? You then have to wait 3 minutes, before the page loads. None of the videos look interesting to you, so you try to go back to the previous page. Again, another 3 minutes. While you explore the entire channel, with all the times you change pages, it takes even longer. You can only imagine how painful the process is, and how the lag builds up.

You flash back to the old design. Remember how you could check through a YouTuber's Favourites while watching a video on their channel, and see their subscribers, all at once (keep in mind you can't do that anymore, with Channels that aren't your own; now they only number your subscribers)? Remember how you could watch your Favourites on your own Channel (and without loading ANOTHER page, might I add)?

It dawns on you; the old YouTube Layout was better for you, as it was more convenient. Everything related to the old YouTube Channel you could check out, as it was all on one page. (You could even see your background, thanks to the transparency settings!)

Now, you have to stake through every page and wait for it to load, as it sucks down your computers memory (thus making your computer slower), just to find information. Why can't we go back to the old design?

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 26, 2013 at 10:22:50 PM.
Old March 10, 2012, 07:31:38 PM
Landorus

Although I don't have a Youtube account, I have heard about it from my friend that they forced users to do the changes. I hate the new looks, I loved the old front page, the old tiny icon in the corner, just, I can't believe Youtube would do so a stupid thing. I mean seriously! It looks more stupid, worthless, and raging than ever! Now, I can hardly find ANYTHING at all on Youtube!
Old March 10, 2012, 07:47:26 PM
Administrator

I'll be a rebel and vote for the new layouts. I actually haven't had many problems with bugs or such on the new layout compared to lots of oddities on the old ones.
Old March 11, 2012, 08:17:51 AM
Haxorus

While I voted Previous, I think I'm gonna switch and say the newer layouts. This stuff always happens with the new layouts, because as people we just naturally usually don't like change. But after a while, you'll see all of the change's pluses and minuses, and then you can form your own opinion. IMO the older and newer layouts both have their goods and bads, but for the most part, I think Youtube did a fairly good job with the new layout, even though I have a few complaints, such as I can't "x" out a video once I'm done watching it, and keeping up with all of my subscriptions is a little harder than before. But my worst complaint is that Youtube has made it practically impossible to find smaller channels with this new layout. That is what really disappoints me with this one. But that's not to say the older layout didn't have problems, either. So yeah, I've accepted this new layout and for the most part, it's pretty good.
Old March 11, 2012, 04:37:48 PM
Giratina

I'm gonna have to say the newer layout.

From what I noticed, it's much more organized than the former layout. The tabs in the channels allow users to see the most recent activity and most recent videos much easier. Plus, playlists are much easier to navigate to and from. Moving out of the channel and going to the homepage, you can choose what subscriptions you want to see, rather than a big mess of uploads. Also, the Recommended Channels and Recommended Videos are now off to the side so they are no longer in the face of the user.

On top of all this, people always complain about a new YT layout. When the previous layout was introduced, people complained for days when they were forced to switch, posting many comments that were similar to "Thumbs up if you miss the old format." After a few months, everybody forgot about the old layout and moved on. The same thing will happen with this new layout.
Old March 11, 2012, 04:52:22 PM

I'm ambivalent about the new layouts.

I've noticed it's easier to find videos since you don't have to keep scrolling until you find the video you're looking for.

It's also easier to focus on what you want to see. I can choose to hide all the feed crap that I don't care about (what they like or whatever) and focus entirely on looking through their videos. The entire page is now dedicated to the content of interest rather than trying to display it all at once. It's more ADD-friendly.

But of course, the lack of customizability is a real bummer.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:15:12 PM
Rayquaza

In terms of layout, the new one is good and convenient. However, recently, Youtube has not been working well with Chrome, with a lot of errors while playing the videos. It seems they still can't fix it yet.
Old March 28, 2012, 03:50:07 PM
Volcarona

They didn't need to change it. It was fine as is and the very least they could have done is bring in the option to switch between different styles and looks. But that's corporations for you. Some people think they know better than the average user, but what they end up doing is screwing things up, both for themselves and the users.

The world certainly has some problems with this notion that the consumers' opinions don't matter as long as the profits remain high, and Youtube is no exception.

Last edited by Armed Floatzel; March 28, 2012 at 03:50:25 PM.
Old March 28, 2012, 04:54:50 PM
Giratina

Previous by far! It was a lot more convinient to view the messages on the profile. It looked so much more appealing, and I hate how they just forced it upon us
Old April 1, 2012, 09:03:36 PM
Giratina

Though I have no problems with the new one, I have to admit, I've always preferred the old version. It was easier to find videos, especially the oldest ones. But on the other hand, the new layout looks really nice and can be real easy to operate once you've toyed with it.
Old July 16, 2012, 12:43:24 AM
Mudkip

I like it. The old layout became slow-loading mess when you tried to look through a person's videos.

Also, I'm aware that I'm bumping the thread, so I'd like to know what people think of the layout now that it's set in for a few months? Have your opinions changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalliumGrant View Post
The new YouTube layout is terrible. You have to sift through multiple pages to find everything. Say you're a big fan of Ryan Higa, and you want to see all of his newest videos, as it's been a while since you've last watched them.

Now let's say you have a bad computer. You go to his YouTube Channel, and you see his Feed Tab. Because you have no idea what you're doing, it takes you, what, 5 minutes just to find out that clicking the Videos Tab, takes you where you want to go? Not quite. Your computer is slow, remember? You then have to wait 3 minutes, before the page loads. None of the videos look interesting to you, so you try to go back to the previous page. Again, another 3 minutes. While you explore the entire channel, with all the times you change pages, it takes even longer. You can only imagine how painful the process is, and how the lag builds up.
What if you wanted to look into to the middle of someone's uploads on the old layout? You'd be screwed, since the only options you had to navigate there were to trudge through all the newer or all the old videos first. The lag you'd experience there would exceed what you could possibly be subjected to having to switch through the new layout's tabs. Meanwhile, the new setup lets you skip around pages at a time, taking you to your desired destination in no time.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 26, 2013 at 10:23:57 PM.
Old July 29, 2012, 08:02:30 AM
Mudkip

I find the new layout very clean and user friendly so I actually prefer the new layout .
Old July 29, 2012, 08:08:05 AM
Floatzel

Better, much better. The old layout was slow and it didn't make any sense.