Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 3, 2010, 03:47:36 PM
Joltik

Default Do you like how the anime portrays the Pokémon world?

Somewhat is my answer.

I like that Pokémon are not just numerical values, with an absolute stat and calculation for battling. Pokémon have willpower, determination, hope, and such to increase their battling ability. So, the "tiers" aren't nearly as rigid as they are in the games.

I dislike character incarnations, though. For example, Jun (Barry/Pearl). I love his in-game personality: hyper, determine, but genuinely kind-hearted. In the anime, he's just a power-oriented fanboy. Not as bad as Shinji, but still. Also, even if I do enjoy seeing lifelike battles instead of just math equations, it irritates me how moves like Whirlpool are powerful in the anime.

What do you think?
Old December 3, 2010, 04:09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poketto Kunoichi View Post
I like that Pokémon are not just numerical values, with an absolute stat and calculation for battling. Pokémon have willpower, determination, hope, and such to increase their battling ability. So, the "tiers" aren't nearly as rigid as they are in the games.
This I agree with. The battles make more sense in the anime. And when I think of a Pokemon, I think of a 2d animated cartoon drawing with intelligence and emotions. The game's data and sprites portray much less vivid and less detailed creatures.
...But I guess because of that, the games exercise one's imagination more.

I'm indifferent when it comes to the humans.

Last edited by PokeRemixStudio; December 3, 2010 at 04:29:16 PM.
Old December 3, 2010, 04:10:59 PM
Shaymin

I do agree how moves in the anime seem more powerful than in game. I guess it's just more entertaining. I also like the idea that determination may be a better thing to have than tiers. Maybe thats only because I hate having to think about tiers. :c

Last edited by Fubab_107; December 3, 2010 at 04:12:54 PM.
Old December 4, 2010, 11:46:32 PM
Volcarona

Yeah, the anime portrays the world quite nicely IMO. I like how the numbers and values of games hardly have any meaning in the anime, and battles are based on determination and tactics.
Old December 5, 2010, 09:43:37 AM
Kyurem

There's too little strife in the anime world for me - I always feel that the villains are weak, the characters no less so, etc. The mechanics of it all I'm okay with, but I can't help but think Pokémon Adventures is better on the whole.
Old December 5, 2010, 02:45:50 PM
Volcarona

I like that pokemon can become strong by training and their strength isn't preset by numbers. Also that it expands how pokemon and humans coexist. The stories in the anime are more often more interesting than the storyline in the games because the games they have to follow the formula and creativity isn't that important in the game for stories.
Old December 7, 2010, 02:47:36 AM
Volcarona

I've been reading the Adventures manga lately. Its pretty cool, but different from what I expected. The Elite Four being evil and the Pokemon League being held once every 3 years were quite strange to me. But Satoshi Taijiri himself even said that the world in Adventures was the world he was trying to portray.

I have my own opinion on how the world should be portrayed, it combines the harsh reality of Adventures with the lore of the anime.
Old April 20, 2011, 06:09:51 AM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathemA View Post
I've been reading the Adventures manga lately. Its pretty cool, but different from what I expected. The Elite Four being evil and the Pokemon League being held once every 3 years were quite strange to me. But Satoshi Taijiri himself even said that the world in Adventures was the world he was trying to portray.
I like the Adventures manga. I've also read the Pokemon Pocket Monsters (it's funny, not to be taken seriously). Now there's the reBURST, but I've never read it.

But I don't really like how they portray the Pokémon world in the anime...I know there is a target audience, but Pokémon has a wider target audience, and Nintendo should know that (Gamefreak does.)

I think they should release another Pokémon anime, with different issues that aren't covered in the anime, but are hinted in the games: How wild pokemon eat and hunt for other pokémons, if humans eat pokémon, relations between humans and pokémon that are not always friendly (like muk's acid body, ponyta's fire body, tyranitar's and gyarado's raging nature). It has good plot material for villains too. Team Rocket (if taking seriously), Magma/Aqua, even team Galactic...Team Plasma too, their ideals and reasons for doing what they do is really interesting.

But I guess another Pokémon anime is not on the plans.
Old May 14, 2011, 04:25:22 AM
Mudkip

bunch of 10 year olds wandering around in the wilderness for days and weeks at a time. who needs school or parental supervision?
WE HAVE POKEMON.

Last edited by McMasters; May 14, 2011 at 04:29:24 AM.
Old December 17, 2011, 07:29:53 AM
Pikachu

ANime Rocks
Old December 17, 2011, 03:03:02 PM
Mudkip

Wink Anime vs. Games

The games make it sound pokemon are all about stats and the anime makes all the pokemon like living,breathing creaturs with feelings. As for the Gym Leaders, they portrayed them pretty well. Kepping in mind that I am male everybody, that they matched the Sabrina from the game and the the one from the anime pretty well. That might be the closest that the anime came to the games.

Last edited by Reshiram5; December 17, 2011 at 03:04:19 PM.
Old December 17, 2011, 05:14:13 PM
Giratina

Seeing as the Pokemon games came out first, I'm going to assume the Pokemon world is the video games, so no, I don't like how the anime portrays the world.

The reason being is the anime makes it seem like the Pokemon world is incredibly vast with Pokemon centers being placed in the most bizarre places.

But this is just my opinion.
Old December 20, 2011, 10:34:40 PM
Cyndaquil

I like it for the most part. I always sit there watching it with my boyfriend and we're like "I wish it could really work that way in the games" because they defy the impossible to win and they do it in such an awesome way!

However at times, it's just like "wait...what?" And times where they learn moves when normally they can't learn them or they learn them way before they could. They are more powerful then they should be. Pikachu still loses on occasion. And, Ash is still freakin' ten years old! Explain that to us please. That's why each generation has new characters!
Old December 22, 2011, 06:01:17 PM
Servine

Quote:
that they matched the Sabrina from the game and the the one from the anime pretty well.
Sabrina in the anime was outright crazy, but the game Sabrina was humorously contradicting...
"I had a vision of your arrival! I have had psychic powers since I was a little child. I first learned to bend spoons with my mind. I dislike fighting, but if you wish, I will show you my powers!"
Note the whip.
And how she is known for completely beating down the rival Fighting Gym in Saffron with Psychic advantage.
---------
More on topic, I wish the anime's story tied more often to the game's, though I'm not really familiar with anything outside Kanto's and Unova's anime. It's completely notable they could've done most of Unova's anime by now without Ash and Pikachu. So much for a COMPLETE reboot.

I often say, if N appears in the anime eventually and he's dumbed down for kids, I will punch the inside of an envelope and mail it to the writers.
Old December 22, 2011, 06:05:36 PM
Pikachu

I love how the anime represents the show. I feel sometimes the anime can be alittle but better then the game. 1 thing in the anime make friends who will join them on the heroes journey, i would love it if the games Brock and misty were there to help me. I also love how they add other characters who only appear once with 1 Pokemon they own that is special to the day. The only thing I hate are the way moves are learned. Powerful moves can be learned by Pokemon who the trainers just caught. Also weakened are taken instead of strong moves like pikachu learning electro ball and replacing volt tackle. Also Pokemon that can't be caught in the wild appear which is misleading to people who watch the anime first then buy the game. Overall I still love it
Old December 24, 2011, 12:45:40 AM
Cyndaquil

I kinda like but dislike when they started involving the abilities into the anime. It made sense to add it in but sometimes they were just overly obnoxious about it. Best Wishes got a bit better when Dent would say how his Ishizumai had a specific ability when he was fighting and he used it strategically. But before, they would be annoying about it.
Old December 27, 2011, 04:48:35 PM
Joltik

I like how it portrays Pokemon mainly, but not the people really...

Like, I don't get how Ash can be this great Pokemon trainer who's fought legendary Pokemon, saved the world, beat tons of gym leaders and all (and at age 10) but yet no one recognizes him.

I think it'd be cool if he aged and when he traveled, people were more like "whoah, that's the guy who beat a bunch of gym leaders and helped professors!"

I guess I'm just picky though, or something...

I do like the parts where the Pokemon interact, mainly. I was watching the beginning of the movie with Victini and the black Unova Pokemon, and really liked the whole thing with the ice bears.

I forget their names though...

Really, I'm a fan of everything but the main characters.

I love the backstories, the backgrounds for places, all that in the movies and the show, but I don't like Ash that much.
Old January 16, 2012, 02:16:00 PM
Zoroark

Absolute fridge logic: what do Ash and co. eat? I know they had fish in one of the early episodes, but they haven't shown any real-life animals since. Does that mean that they...eat Pokemon?
Old January 22, 2012, 05:27:25 PM
Giratina

They actually eat rice. Whenever the group camps out, I always saw a ball of rice for each person.

But they wouldn't show something as little as them eating. It should be implied that they eat.
Old August 11, 2012, 07:15:47 PM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashing Leaves View Post
I like how it portrays Pokemon mainly, but not the people really...

Like, I don't get how Ash can be this great Pokemon trainer who's fought legendary Pokemon, saved the world, beat tons of gym leaders and all (and at age 10) but yet no one recognizes him.

I think it'd be cool if he aged and when he traveled, people were more like "whoah, that's the guy who beat a bunch of gym leaders and helped professors!"
I concur. You might appreciate something that I found not long ago. My mind has still not recovered and collected the pieces from being blown.

The "Ash is in a Coma Theory". I'm interested what others think of this.
Old August 11, 2012, 08:28:19 PM
Regigigas

It could be a lot better but it shows the way the pokemon and towns and dungeons really well.
Old August 12, 2012, 12:45:08 AM
Administrator

I like how the anime portrays the world and most battling (anything without Ash's cheating ). I'm not too fond of the bonehead characters that have been around forever. I'd love to see new stories with completely different characters while keeping the same style otherwise. Chronicles was nice, as was that recent BW2 promotional anime special.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 12, 2012 at 12:45:14 AM.
Old August 12, 2012, 10:30:41 AM
Shaymin

I think they portray the pokemon pretty nicely. Some characters I could do without, but overall it's not bad.
Old August 12, 2012, 06:08:12 PM
Haxorus

I think it's a nice enough portrayal. My favorite part of it would have to be the Pokémon themselves, and my least favorite part would be the Tournaments.

The five-part "Pichu Bros. in Party Panic!" from Pokémon Channel falls into the former. In part one, the Pichu Bros. meet up with their posse and come across an Aipom and a Smeargle who tell them that there may be some fruit nearby. You eventually figure out the story as it comes together. But with the limited vocabulary of the Pokémon, I like how you have to not only guess exactly what they're saying in English, but also how the dialogue is coming off to you. It could be an Emmy-award winning spectacle, or it could be childish and poorly written.

This episode falls into the latter. It felt unbelievably rushed and thought it had to speed through Round 1. My explanation for that is that some trainers (most likely, the ones we have no idea who they are and aren't given any reason to care) brought low-level Pokémon, thinking that all the other Pokémon entered into a tournament must be weaker. Did none of these trainers see a young girl with a Dragonite? But, I do have to give credit to all of the other trainers that moved on to the Quarter Finals...except the aforementioned girl. She doesn't seem to care about Dragonite's disobedience as much as winning a battle.

Last edited by GTP_NickSkyline; August 26, 2012 at 09:17:46 PM.