Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 28, 2012, 02:59:03 PM
Volcarona

Finally got to see the new Disney movie "Brave". It was a pretty darn cute movie if I do say so myself. The humor was silly and I just LOVED the animation and the colors and just... aaahhhh~ The animation studio did an amazing job on this movie, it's definitely worth watching for sure. And for once, it's a NON-Love story from Disney!
Old December 28, 2012, 04:48:19 PM
Volcarona

During break, I watched Rise of the Guardians and The life of Pi. I also watched Wreck it Ralph for the second time because I love it.

The life of Pi was a big disappointment for me because it wasn't like I pictured. The scenes with the shipwreck and the lifeboat is visually pleasing and it feels like you are on a journey with the main character. I end up getting a little bit dizzy (and I was watching in 2D). The rest of the scenes were boring to me and I feel the movie tried to cramp several things the main character has experienced in his childhood and tying with the journey (religion, faith, etc). Because of it, I couldn't get the message of the whole movie. I never read the novel, but I assume that most of the things were cut to make into a 2 hour film. I felt cheated out of the movie despite the fact the journey from shipwreck to getting home is very entertaining and amazing. The reason I felt that way is because the film is build around the journey and making it epic as possible and the rest of the materials of the film were slapped as though the producers don't really care.

Rise of the Guardians was better than I thought. To be honest, I didn't expect much of the movie. The film managed to entertain me for the whole time with creative retells of childhood beliefs (though I never believe the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny in the first place) and the humor. One of the few things that bug me in the film is all of the sudden, Sandman is alive with no explanation (on how he got out from the villain's spell) and helps out when the rest of the Guardians are in trouble. The movie is still good, it's the flaws that is hard to look over in my opinion.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:20:13 AM
Haxorus

Saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Today. I really enjoyed it, and I would recommend it to anyone but be aware, it is over 2 hours long. I wont give anything away about the plot but there are loads of breathtaking sights in the film (I think it was filmed in New Zealand) and it gives you a little bit of a backstory to lead into the film.
Sadly, I couldn't see it in 3D but 2D was still very good.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:54:52 AM
Kyurem

I made Wreck-It Ralph the one single movie that I have to watch before the year ends. Hilariously engaging, that one. Well worth the really expensive ticket.

Also, digital cinema is the norm in Singapore, and I got to experience the full glory of cinema-grade DLP projection! Finally, no jitters, film grain, and even brightness, colours, and frame rate! And the entire thing looks like... crispy stuff.

Funny thing about it is that before the proper movie showing, there are a bunch of ads, PSAs, trailers, and the Pixar short. Cue 16:9 and 21:9-in-16:9 content... and you can see the black bars at the sides. :3 Even funnier are ads that are only in SD... interlaced and chroma-subsampled. Yeehaw, blocky reds in a cinema! Good thing the short and the movie itself are pretty much uncompressed and progressive.

And their projector's deinterlacing blows, but then again, it wasn't designed to.

Last edited by Twiggy; December 31, 2012 at 05:55:55 AM.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:05:17 PM
Giratina

I saw Wreck-It Ralph for like the... eh, whatevereth time. I lost count. I can't wait for the DVD so I can start memorizing the lines and start quoting it everywhere I go.
Quotes... hehe, "Children of the candy corn."
And because of that quote, I decided to watch Stephen King's Children of the Corn. Oh God, that was extreeemely creepy. I'll be afraid of children named Isaac for the rest of my life. I don't even know how to spell... Malaki? Close enough.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:11:39 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
I'll be afraid of children named Isaac for the rest of my life
Somehow, I doubt that.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:03:45 PM
Volcarona

My family dragged me downstairs last night to watch a movie with them called Abduction. It was one of those movies where you're trying to sit there and figure out what the HECK is going on all the while freaking out because these kiddos are running into trouble constantly. It starts off SUPER slow and I almost got up and left my family as they watched it but then the action started, and it hits like a freight train. Not the best movie I've seen but not the worst, I'd suggest checking it out. It does remind me a lot of the movie Hanna too at some points.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:10:29 PM
Giratina

We got the Dark Knight Trilogy DVD a few weeks ago and at such a good price (a 3rd of the original ;D) So, a week ago we saw Batman Begins again, even though we remembered none of it from the first time besides the fact that there's a dude with a mask. The we saw the Dark Knight Friday night, remembering why the Joker was like the greatest villain of all time. So sorry, Heath... And we closed it out with the Dark Knight Rises today. I swear, Batman is the only DC hero that I feel any respect for.
Plus, I finally saw "The Omen" on Fearnet (New favorite channel~)
Old January 26, 2013, 03:42:34 AM
Kyurem

I'm out to do some banking today...

And I might as well as watch a movie for today.

It was Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. I don't know whether the movie is supposed to be genuinely good, or so bad, it's good, but one thing I know is that it doesn't take itself seriously. That's a good thing to me! xD
Old February 10, 2013, 05:12:58 PM
Giratina

Today I saw Django *chk chk* UNCHAINED. (Oh no, now I'm doing that, too.)
The whole thing was hilarious and a good old fashioned American adventure. The only problems I had were the music just cutting off instead of fading out or something and the blood looking toooo fake.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:31:23 PM
Haxorus

I saw Django. Also Gangsta Squad. Both great . Django was hilarious, and GS was all actiony with being too cheesy. And Emma Stone
Old February 14, 2013, 05:12:15 PM
Giratina

Yay, someone else posted so now I can say that I've seen WRECK-IT RALPH TWICE ALREADY. ONLY NINE HUNDRED NINETY EIGHT MORE TIMES TO GO. I SWEAR BY THE TIME THE DVD COMES OUT I WILL HAVE MEMORIZED EVERY SINGLE LINE. And I looooove Vanellope so much~<3
Old March 4, 2013, 01:38:37 AM
Kyurem

Watched Skyfall last midnight. Made up for not watching any movies last month by buying two movies outright, on DVD, from the nearest shop.

It's awesome when you can use your own ear buds to listen, huh? Everything is now controlled by yours truly!

This is actually the first Bond film I've watched. Sometimes, old stuff works best.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:22:57 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Watched Skyfall last midnight. Made up for not watching any movies last month by buying two movies outright, on DVD, from the nearest shop.

It's awesome when you can use your own ear buds to listen, huh? Everything is now controlled by yours truly!

This is actually the first Bond film I've watched. Sometimes, old stuff works best.
Last week I tried to watch all of the Bond movies. I stopped after The World Is Not Enough because I couldn't find Die Another Day or Quantum of Solace. I'm planning on watching the other Daniel Craig ones this weekend, though.

Also, I saw Twelve Angry Men last night. Absolute classic.
Old March 13, 2013, 05:35:10 PM
Volcarona

Just saw The Great and Powerful Oz this week! I went in with, well... low-ish expectations and no idea of what to expect. But I came out absolutely bewildered! It was just a spectacular work of art! And it makes SO much more sense of things that happen in the original Wizard of Oz movie. I highly recommend seeing it for sure.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:18:16 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaDialga View Post
Just saw The Great and Powerful Oz this week! I went in with, well... low-ish expectations and no idea of what to expect. But I came out absolutely bewildered! It was just a spectacular work of art! And it makes SO much more sense of things that happen in the original Wizard of Oz movie. I highly recommend seeing it for sure.
Have you seen the play Wicked? I've seen both Oz the Great and Powerful and the play, and I would personally say Wicked's better, but that's just my taste. Compared to Wicked, Oz is good and sticks to more of the original point, but I thought the play took much more fun with everything and transitioned over to the viewers.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:30:48 PM
Volcarona

Watched Les Misérables. It was a good movie, but for some reason, I expect more. The movie was really long and I was really sleepy toward the end. Go check the movie out if you are a fan of musicals.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:20:50 PM
Charizard

I watch, um, what was it... Jack the Giant Slayer, I think it was, a little while ago. Though I'm not to excited for movies based off of things like Jack and the Beanstalk, they put a very interesting twist on the movie. It's enjoyable, to say the least.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:32:40 PM
Shaymin

The Secret of Kells. Love the celtic feel of it. And it's art style is interesting.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:27:53 PM
Volcarona

I just got back from watching Warm Bodies! Haha, yes... don't judge. It's a romance movie, HOWEVER, it's an amazing one. Why? Because I don't like girly things and this movie had so much awesome Zombie humor. It was one of the most adorable movies I ever saw and I can relate to the Zombie, does that mean I'm a zombie? Horraaaay. But like, there were guys in there laughing just as hard as me and my other two fellow giggling cousin and sister were~! So it's quite an enjoyable movie. :3
Old March 17, 2013, 09:11:09 AM
Volcarona

Watched The Notebook with my friends. I have a love and hate feeling toward the movie. I love the emotions at the end and how much the couple wanted to be together, but I hate that the movie portray romance as a cliche and sometimes not realistic. For some reason, I hate when hollywood creates an idealistic view on relationships. Which is why I am really picky about romance comedy movies.
Old March 18, 2013, 03:25:31 PM
Volcarona

Man I am on a roll with this movie watching thing! On Sunday, well yesterday night, I went and saw Burt Wonderstone. While it was a silly movie, and it having Jim Carrey meaning there were parts that were most likely unnecessary to have, it was still enjoyable once you focused on the story-line at least. It was better than what I thought it would be, and I was able to enjoy it a lot more since I went with a spcial friend~! So yay. Fun times... now I cannoooooot wait for May 10th (an amazing movie comes out that day)~! DD
Old March 19, 2013, 01:51:35 PM
Keldeo

Megamind, awesome movie with a great story and personally I can relate well to which is great. I will have to watch it again to see how much mini stuff I missed.
Old March 31, 2013, 04:12:29 PM
Giratina

A few weeks ago I saw Oz the Great and Powerful. It was a lovely story and a great explanation of the events that lead up to the Wizard of Oz. But the only thing I didn't like was that Oz was too much of a player. From one girl to the next on and on.

Later I saw Men In Black III. It was soooo... cool, gross, and touching at the end. I loved it so much I watched it two more times when it came on cause it was a marathon

And today while I was cleaning my room I saw The Beatles' Yellow Submarine. That was so surreal I don't even really know what was going on during the movie. Everything was flashing and changing colors and growing and the art style is so weird. It's definitely something made in the late Beatles era. I don't recommend it to anyone who wants to keep their sanity.

I plan to see the Fullmetal Alchemist movie The Sacred Star of Milos and the Phil Spector movie soon. REAL soon.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:59:55 AM
Giratina

No one's done anything in like a month? That's lame.

It's a good thing I saw good ol' Robert Downey Jr. Ma-, uhh, I mean, Iron Man 3 today! Oh man that was the BEST! I don't want to spoil anything, but he owns Iron Man. You can no longer separate that perfect man from the character. The ending was unexpected but that made it all the more perfect.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:48:37 AM
Mudkip

I saw the Hobbit movie last. It will change your ENTIRE LIFE!
Old May 5, 2013, 04:54:37 PM
Joltik

Is it sad if the last movie I watched was "I Am Legend".... for the first time.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:58:10 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDemon View Post
Is it sad if the last movie I watched was "I Am Legend".... for the first time.
I saw this on AMC a couple of days ago. My mother had a big argument with me and my brother over how it was about what will become of humanity if we don't stop doing stuff, but we were just like "dude, it's a movie."

I also saw The Breakfast Club on AMC with those little StoryNotes things that tell you behind-the-scenes stuff. This is the best high-school movie.
Old May 6, 2013, 03:59:29 PM
Administrator

We have a copy of The Breakfast Club, and my mom has told me repeated times to watch it, but I haven't done so yet.

I did recently see Kung Fu Panda for the first time, which is a lot funnier than I was expecting and the main reason why I didn't see it to begin with.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:34:20 PM
Haxorus

I saw Lords of Dogtown for a second time on Sunday. It's funny at most points, but it's also very vulgar...
Old May 10, 2013, 05:15:10 PM
Regigigas

I saw the woman in black last weekend it is as scary as people claim it to be... Never again
Old May 10, 2013, 06:44:38 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-li View Post
I saw the woman in black last weekend it is as scary as people claim it to be... Never again
I hate that ending probably more than most people should... *shiver*
Old May 10, 2013, 07:31:23 PM

I went and saw Iron Man 3 in theaters on Thursday. Pretty awesome movie, but then again it IS Iron Man. Out of the three movies, this was probably my second favorite, with the first one still firmly at my number one spot.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:56:24 AM
Zoroark

I saw Iron Man 3 too. I thought it was freakin' amazing, but I still think the first one is the best movie, and 2 is juts bad.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:43:17 PM
Shaymin

Last Wednesday I saw Iron Man 3. For some reason, I was the only one of my friends who didn't really have an issue with it. Aw well, I ain't picky.

As for last Friday... Well lets just say we went through a crap movie marathon.

It turned into us all yelling and judging the logic of any and every thing... That was a good evening.
Old June 12, 2013, 12:36:17 PM
Haxorus

Saw Wreck it Ralph finally.

What a film, I never really have been a fan of animated films, but this one was completley different. All the different game references made me smile, and it was good to see characters from games I have played. It is definatley the best Disney film I have ever seen, with Toy Story and Monsters Inc coming just after.
Old June 26, 2013, 09:34:28 AM
Charizard

I watched "This is the End."
Wow. Movies are rated something like "Adult" or "Restricted" for a reason- I see why this one was.
Though, it seemed to try to be funny a bit too hard. I guess it was entertaining.
Old June 26, 2013, 02:31:28 PM
Giratina

I saw Now You See Me and Monsters University. Probably some other movies too, but eh.

Now You See Me was GREAT. Always had you thinking "How do they do?" and had really good twists.

Monsters University was also pretty good. The ending was kind of... I don't know how to feel about it just yet. It just didn't feel like a perfect authentic cadence. But it made some sense as a prequel.
Old June 29, 2013, 05:55:14 PM
Haxorus

Monsters university- Great film, I ended up very happy and satisified with it. It did have a sudden change in direction I didn't see coming about 5/6 through the movie, but whatever. I'm glad it didn't turn out as bad as it could have been, I'm more likely than not buying it on blu ray.

Last edited by Eagles; June 29, 2013 at 05:57:10 PM.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:06:47 PM

I saw Man of Steel last week. I've heard it got mixed reviews, but I thought it was a really good movie and I didn't seen any huge flaws.
Old June 29, 2013, 08:37:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Now You See Me was GREAT. Always had you thinking "How do they do?" and had really good twists.
I forgot to post about this movie! I went to see it, and it was amazing! I was always questioning things, and they wrapped up practically every mystery in my mind. I know the critics don't like it, but they're narrow-minded and only care about new themes.
Old June 30, 2013, 01:46:25 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I forgot to post about this movie! I went to see it, and it was amazing! I was always questioning things, and they wrapped up practically every mystery in my mind. I know the critics don't like it, but they're narrow-minded and only care about new themes.
I really want to see this film, two of my favourite actors (Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman) are in it and also I love these sort of films about capers!
Old July 5, 2013, 07:50:34 PM
Giratina

And now I have just seen The Watch. It was so retarded yet slightly enjoyable at the same time. Is combined Suspense and Comedy effectively.

Okay so, The Lone Ranger. It was a great comedic action blend with Johnny Depp at his finest. It might've started off slow but it got were it needed to be quickly. Even though some jokes are recycled, they come back better each time.

Last edited by TurtwigX; July 6, 2013 at 06:24:47 PM.
Old July 17, 2013, 12:00:29 PM
Rayquaza

I just saw Pacific Rim, oh man it was really awesome I'll probably post a video review of it on blog later.
Old July 17, 2013, 03:01:22 PM
Regigigas

Monsters U it was awesome the references brought out my inner child
Old July 20, 2013, 06:51:25 PM

Just saw Turbo tonight. Kinda have mixed feelings for it, I loved the 3D animation, but the characters kinda felt....eh, I don't know...forced? Not sure if I even have the right words to describe what I'm trying to say, the characters weren't BAD...and by "characters" I mean the snails other than Turbo/Theo, not the human cast. Pretty much nothing in the film happens that surprises you or comes out of left field, but that's not a huge problem since the story itself kept me interested til the end. Overall a decent film, glad I saw it, just nothing I'll be yearning to see multiple times.
Old July 20, 2013, 07:41:08 PM
Zoroark

I saw Scott Pilgrim vs. The World about a week ago. It was hilarious. So many game refrences in it. I feel bad for not seeing it sooner.
Old July 20, 2013, 08:16:02 PM
Regigigas

The Lone Ranger.. It was funny silly but funny also had good action
Old July 21, 2013, 04:11:25 AM
Shaymin

Pacific Rim.....

All I can say is right when they started describing what Jaeger was, I fell in love with the movie.

Like seriously, I want to see it again, but my wallet ran dry this week.........

Seriously, I want this movie now.
Old July 29, 2013, 07:02:46 PM
Zoroark

I just walked out of the theatre and saw the Wolverine. It was really cool. And it has ninjas. Nuff said
Old July 29, 2013, 07:11:48 PM
Haxorus

Saw Pacific Rim yesterday. So much destruction and awesome alien fights. I felt like 5-year-old me watching Godzilla flicks again o.o
Old August 3, 2013, 09:56:09 PM
Floatzel

Now You See Me. My god, that movie was awesome! I loved the biblical reference of the Four Horsemen, and of the four people I saw it with, I was the only one who predicted who was behind it. I also predicted it about 45 minutes in.
Old August 4, 2013, 12:38:29 PM
Regigigas

I saw 42 it was a really good movie and had amazing actors
Old August 5, 2013, 02:57:46 AM
Regigigas

Oh man, I haven't been here in a while.
  • The Big Year (2011)- Jack Black, Steve Martin, and Owen Wilson look at birds for an hour and a half. It's better than it sounds.
  • Escape From New York (1981)- New York City is a run-down shamble led by various miscreants. It's like that in the movie, too. A criminal is offered freedom if he can go into NYC, which is now the largest prison in the US, and save the President, whose plane crashed within its walls.
  • What About Bob? (1991)- Bill Murray visits psychologist Richard Dreyfuss to cope with his OCD, but then becomes obsessed with his shrink's family. Hilarity Ensues.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)- It was as good as everyone says it is. Depp's character is exactly the type of person I like in movies- gutsy, don't-care-attitude, and dangerous.
  • Robin Hood: Men In Tights (1993)- Everything Mel Brooks touches is gold. I'd definitely rank this among my top three of his films.
  • The Producers (1967)- Also in my top three Mel Brooks movies. Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder conspire to make a guaranteed flop on Broadway and rake in the cash from investors. Hilarity Ensues.
  • Me, Myself and Irene (2001)- Jim Carrey is a Rhode Island cop who develops two personalities- a nice guy and a total jerk- who both go after the same girl.
  • Kick-Ass (2010)- A total loser becomes a real-life superhero. I'm pretty sure you've all seen this by now. If you haven't, why are you still here? Go watch it. s'Good.

Last edited by Velociraptor78; August 5, 2013 at 02:59:03 AM. Reason: My favorite Brooks film is Spaceballs, btw. (Hi Saber and Cat, I know you like reading these)
Old August 12, 2013, 08:05:18 PM
Giratina

My friend made me see the anime movie Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki. Oh my God, if I wasn't on a plane I would've been crying my eyes out. It was so beautiful and told the story of a single mother in a strange yet perfect way~ Recommend to everyone~

Then there's Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. If I give it anything, it's better than the first movie. But they still ignored many larger parts of the book and made up their own continuity, so I give it a low score. Just not as low as the .5/10 I give the first movie.
Old August 23, 2013, 02:12:28 PM
Administrator

Today I went to see Elysium, and I went to see The Lone Ranger a few weeks ago. Both of them are excellent movies. (Anybody squeamish at gore should be careful with the first one, though.)
Old August 24, 2013, 10:34:57 AM
Giratina

I just saw The Beatles' Help! (Even though I said I was gonna watch Wreck-It Ralph for today.) Yet another movie you must be a good fan for, it had a nice cutesy little plot and real acting, unlike A Hard Day's Night. 3 Beatle movies down, 2 to go.
Old September 24, 2013, 06:10:14 PM
Giratina

It's been, like, a month.

I saw a couple movies in the past two weeks.
1. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos. I first tried to watch it back in the 11th grade. I fell asleep in the beginning and woke up in the middle of some spoiler-heavy ending. (I'm a bad fan...) Now I've actually seen it and it was amazing. There are so many plot twists that I can barely keep up with the pace. Every time you feel you get it "POOF! That's not the case!" My favorite part is when a character becomes Jesus~ Lovely~<3

2. Insidious 2. To quote Egoraptor, "This is a sequel, this is a ****IN' sequel!" It wrapped up every cliffhanger, unresolved plot point, and confusing moment in time. The things that happen go beyond the normal scary movie. It's just... it's not gory at all, just thrilling, so I'd recommend it.
Old September 29, 2013, 08:08:28 PM
Charizard

My brother got me to watch MacGruber.
I was pretty sure movies don't get that bad, but this disproved that. I might not be giving it enough credit, but I didn't like it.

Still waiting for that third Madoka Magica movie to be released, though.
Old October 5, 2013, 09:03:12 PM

Just got back from seeing Gravity.

All I can say is...wow. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney were great in this one. I'll try to explain without spoiling anything - the movie wastes no time and immediately starts in outer space, and the movie doesn't take long for the suspense and action to begin. And once it begins, it is nonstop suspense until the very end. The atmosphere the movie creates is beautiful...but also very disturbing (in an entertaining way). I stayed on the edge of my seat, never knowing what to expect next.
Old November 4, 2013, 11:12:57 AM
Haxorus

Just saw Gravity this weekend, and to be completely honest I don't see all the hubub around it. I mean yeah, it's decent, it has all of the stuff a film should have, but there's really not a whole lot of meaning to it. It's pretty much an astronaut's survival to get back home from outer space, which most would probably isn't very realistic in the first place.
*Possible spoilers, just in case*    
Maybe(and probably) it's just me, but I don't exactly get thrilled when I see someone float around in space and almost lose grip to what they're holding onto; you know they're more than likely gonna live, they're the main character, and if they didn't live then the movie would've felt pointless.

The music also seemed generally overdramatic to me. But whatever, I can see why people like it, it's got its "intense moments" and "beautiful scenes", but I just didn't feel like the film actually had much substance in reality.

Last edited by Eagles; November 4, 2013 at 11:14:28 AM.
Old November 5, 2013, 11:25:57 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
Just saw Gravity this weekend, and to be completely honest I don't see all the hubub around it. I mean yeah, it's decent, it has all of the stuff a film should have, but there's really not a whole lot of meaning to it. It's pretty much an astronaut's survival to get back home from outer space, which most would probably isn't very realistic in the first place.
*Possible spoilers, just in case*    
Maybe(and probably) it's just me, but I don't exactly get thrilled when I see someone float around in space and almost lose grip to what they're holding onto; you know they're more than likely gonna live, they're the main character, and if they didn't live then the movie would've felt pointless.

The music also seemed generally overdramatic to me. But whatever, I can see why people like it, it's got its "intense moments" and "beautiful scenes", but I just didn't feel like the film actually had much substance in reality.
Personally, I loved Gravity. Movies generally aren't meant to showcase truth or "what would actually happen"- they show us things from our wildest fantasies, from "What if toys came to life," to "What if there was a world ruled by an empire that was then taken down by a group of rebels," to "What if terrible CGI birds attacked a small town of terrible actors". Gravity gets a few things wrong on the scientific end, I'll admit that, but that's not the point. The point is the suspense, the drama of it all. The real theme of Gravity isn't about space, it's about isolation.
here be spoilers: whoops the ending    
I really didn't like the ending, though. It would have had a much more intense effect on me if Sandra Bullock's character died upon re-entry.
Old November 5, 2013, 04:45:29 PM
Haxorus

I understand that's the point of movies in general and that the point of this one was to give the feel of suspension and isolation, I'm saying I wasn't able to really feel all those emotions that I was supposed to have. Maybe I just personally needed to have more of a connection to Sandra Bullock's character, but I just didn't feel totally shocked when she yet again barely manages stay alive yet again by trying to grab whatever she could. My real complaint isn't about the realism, it's about how I didn't feel immersed in the world because of how nothing really special happens in the movie,
Spoilers again    
besides her ability to stay alive(Which even if she had died it wouldn't have mattered, I'm saying I could've cared less what happened to her, her daughter died, so what? We never see how that truly affected her, we're just told it's supposed to matter because it has to deal with loss. Her staying alive is a little interesting, but only because the viewer gets to see the next chapter in her survival, none of it is really relevant outside the adventure, which to me just felt like repetive suspense, nothing in the middle really to cool down or make any connections beside that one soliloquy and that part with the "illusion" of George's character. TLDR; Too much suspense, didn't feel like much reason to care for characters) and her relationship with George Clooney's character, which is to me the strong point of the movie where he motivates her and helps her become stronger. What I might be rambling on about is the second half the more I think about it actually, but that's just my tastes.
so it didn't really feel like much of a story or survival tale to me, but rather endless suspense that all felt the same in the end. That's just my two cents, though. There are plenty of reasons to like it, I just never got fully immersed.
Old November 10, 2013, 09:48:12 PM
Giratina

I saw Pitch Perfect today, and because of that I also saw The Breakfast Club.

Pitch Perfect was a great story, and it really opened me up to the idea of what I'd like in college. It was also hilarious and I couldn't help jam to my song, Don't You (Forget About Me.) Which just so happened to be the theme of

The Breakfast Club. THAT was an AMAZING movie. From the beginning I didn't think that I'd like it so much, but oh was I mistaken. The characters were memorable and the way that it all tied up was just beautiful. A movie isn't just about the ending, it's about the journey the characters take to get there.
Old November 10, 2013, 10:32:36 PM
Volcarona

Last I watched was Equestria Girls about 2 weeks ago...lol
Plotline was shallow. Good Moral, good character development, and awesome TF scene. Would recommend to those not put off by MLP.

Also, I'm watching Thor 2 on thursday, so excited!
Old November 11, 2013, 09:41:22 AM
Giratina

Of course I saw Thor 2 today. It was better than the first, indeed. With each new Marvel Movie the special effects just seem to get better and more extravagant.
Oh, and when I saw all that Dark World stuff and blah blah blah, all I could think about was Yveltal's Dark Aura

"If you even THINK about betraying him, I'll kill you."

Last edited by TurtwigX; November 11, 2013 at 09:42:11 AM.
Old November 11, 2013, 10:01:28 AM
Haxorus

Well a bit late but I saw Rush a while back. For those who don't know, it's a film about Niki Lauda and James' Hunt rivalry in the 1976 F1 Season, directed by one of the greatest directors, Ron Howard!

Best film ever no doubt in my mind about this! Maybe I am a little biased because I am a huge motorsports fan but aparently it was so damn accurate! I can't wait til it gets a DVD release, just going to watch it again and again. (Like you Turt with Wreck it Ralph XD)
Old November 12, 2013, 12:31:08 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
"If you even THINK about betraying him, I'll kill you."
"Eve-dentally, there's going to be a line."

But yeah, Thor 2 was a really good movie in my opinion. Actually didn't get bored even during most of the talking scene like I do with other movies.
Old November 17, 2013, 08:00:16 PM
Shaymin

My sister and I bought our tickets for Catching Fire's pre-screening on Thursday at my local theatre. She's completely pumped, and I won't lie, I'm pretty excited. I've been waiting for this movie for at least two years!
I have yet to see Thor 2, but it's on my list as Natalie Portman is high on my list of favourite actors/actresses.
But seeing as this thread is about the last film we watched... well... I watched Kenneth Branagh's rendition of Hamlet and was promptly impressed. The acting is actually super great, and they are all so captivating... Much better than I thought it would be.
Old November 23, 2013, 11:08:18 PM
Giratina

I don't watch Doctor Who, but the 50th anniversary special was very nice. I think I might be more open to the series, but I was excited because bringing so many Doctors together sounds like a good in-universe crossover.

For an actual movie, I saw The World's End. I heard about it from a YouTube commercial that didn't say much, but it sure piqued my interest. I don't think it's better than Shaun of the Dead, but it rivals Hot Fuzz. It's strange to see Simon and Nick switching roles, the former being the screwball and the latter being the serious one. But it still has that familiar British charm mixed with apocalyptic intrigue.
Old December 3, 2013, 12:16:02 PM
Shaymin

Saw Frozen last night.

That beginning was way to sad! Seriously, it ripped my tiny little heart to pieces. All and all the movie was really good.
Old December 4, 2013, 11:46:01 AM
Rayquaza

I just saw Frozen, I was the only one in theater but its now probably my favorite Disney film.
Old December 9, 2013, 09:16:27 AM
Volcarona

I know I might be late on this but Thor 2 was a great film, surpasses it's first film by a long shot. Better action, better story, funnier, etc.
Going to be seeing The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug and Catching Fire pretty soon here too.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:36:40 AM
Haxorus

Saw Catching Fire! Pretty good film + Katniss was looking good as always.
Old December 16, 2013, 05:36:33 PM
Haxorus

Billy Madison, a classic~
Old December 19, 2013, 02:46:03 AM
Charizard

The Emperor's New Groove... HILARIOUS!
Old December 21, 2013, 04:31:24 PM
Haxorus

Just saw Shawshank Redemption!

One of the best films I have ever seen, it's an old film!
Old December 22, 2013, 06:26:00 PM
Haxorus

Saving Mr. Banks: SUCH a good-feel movie... So Happy.
Old December 24, 2013, 03:41:43 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
Saving Mr. Banks: SUCH a good-feel movie... So Happy.
That was on my list, guess it's time to raise it higher.

I saw The Purge and rewatched Now You See Me.

The Purge was pretty okay. It made sense in a way if you thought about it sideways, but the whole concept of the legal crime thing is quite insane. It was also pretty racist, but it's a very good picture of what humanity's really like.

Oh my goodness, Now You See Me was even BETTER the second time! It's true what they say, you haven't really seen a Mystery/Suspense film until your second time. Now that I was looking out for the hints of the ending it made a lot more sense and was a lot more fun for me~ But now I have to see The Illusionist, what my mom says the movie was remade from.
Old December 28, 2013, 02:17:10 PM
Giratina

During that vacation in North Carolina I saw bits and pieces of Forrest Gump. I never saw the movie before.

Now that I'm back I watched the entire thing. It's... well there's not much I can say, everyone already knows what it is. It's damn good. And the soundtrack is everything~
Old January 30, 2014, 08:40:40 AM
Giratina

I finally saw Frozen. Everyone kept talking about it and it IS Disney, so I thought it'd be worth my while. The movie didn't explain some things I wished it would've touched on, but it was marvelous all the same. Wasn't as sad as I thought it would be, either. All the magical ice power display was awesome.
Old February 14, 2014, 09:42:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I finally saw Frozen.
I just got back from the theater seeing this movie. I thought it was a pretty good movie, especially by Disney's in-house standards. The only thing I thought was disappointing was that the beginning felt rushed.
Old February 16, 2014, 03:13:04 PM
Volcarona

Lego Movie, awesome film.
Old February 16, 2014, 06:29:21 PM
Keldeo

Watched Robocop with my dad yesterday, lot less action then I expected and a better story line.
Old February 16, 2014, 08:07:03 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
The only thing I thought was disappointing was that the beginning felt rushed.
Definitely. The beginning left too many questions for me, but the pacing got a whole lot better after "Do You Want To Build A Snowman?".

I have recently seen Paul McCartney's Give My Regards to Broad Street and Akira.

The former I only decided to see because it featured Paul's song No More Lonely Nights. It was a day in his life as he tries to produce an album. The master tapes got lost as he trusted them to an ex-felon who went missing and he needs them back by midnight. As a musician I could somewhat relate to the movie, but it was still bad. The music, however, was astounding, especially the song I came to the movie for.

The latter I saw because it was being shown at Katsucon. I first saw it a long long time ago, but I didn't remember the details too well. It remains one of the most interesting animated works I've ever seen, and it aged well. To think that the psychic apocalypse is only in 5 years!
Old March 9, 2014, 09:24:48 PM
Haxorus

I saw The Wind Rises... It's so beautiful. Highly reccomended
Old April 6, 2014, 08:22:25 PM
Giratina

I saw The Internship and Identity Thief last night. I'm not a comedy person, but I've never enjoyed one quite like those two before.
Old April 13, 2014, 12:02:36 PM
Administrator

Rio 2

In my opinion, it was a decent movie. While keeping the animation quality top-notch, it was filled with one-off puns and frivolous scenes throughout a sub-plot that makes you roll your eyes because of how annoying it is to see a movie ruined by the "threat of mankind on the rainforest" motif like in FernGully and Once Upon a Forest with the...
Spoiler Alert:    
obvious parts of the "wise" animal thinking all men are evil, the hero becoming an outcast and banished, the hero returning to save the day, and all the animals learning that the wise animal had a bad experience and that some men are beneficial to nature.
However, the film manages to keep you watching because you can't be sure how that ending will come (even though you'll know exactly what happens only halfway through).

From what I heard from a friend who saw the first one, the movie was good, but the plot was a cheap grab into the cliché bag just to put out a sequel to the first movie, which had a more unique plot.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; April 13, 2014 at 12:04:34 PM.
Old April 13, 2014, 03:09:36 PM
Rayquaza

I just saw Game of Death on IFC, it made little sence since Bruce Lee died before it was finished but it was still really enjoyable.
Old April 16, 2014, 05:10:42 PM
Volcarona

Anchorman 2

Honestly, I didn't like it all that much. Compared to Anchorman 1, the humor slowly got worse as the movie progressed. Except for the one hilarious fight scene they had where it ended up ripping from the first film, as well as many other elements from it. And the humor got stale at times where it was SUPPOSE to be funny. Great beginning, boring middle, crappy end. If you don't see it, you're not missing out on much.
Old April 27, 2014, 08:59:12 PM
Giratina

I FINALLY saw The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug last night. It was cinematically extraordinary and it once again painted out the scenes as I imagined them when I was reading. It cut many parts of the book out, but they were pretty insignificant little narrations that I could forgive, but this part deviated a lot more from the book than the last one. Like, for starters, who in the hell is Tauriel and why is she there? Her presence bothered me so much that it distracted from the actual movie. I can't stand warrior female types than only serve as a love interest and one of those fakey "role models for young girls!"
Old April 29, 2014, 10:54:27 AM
Mudkip

Recently saw Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I've read the play, but I didn't realize how good the show was until I actually saw the performance.
Old May 1, 2014, 05:06:40 AM
Charizard

Super Mario Bros.

First movie to be based on a video game and...

RIP Bob Hoskins ;_; (he played Mario btw)
Old May 4, 2014, 01:21:51 PM
Giratina

I saw The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and I loooooved iiiiit~!

"But Turt, I thought you hated this Spider-Man series?"

I still do, because I only liked it for one spoiler-heavy reason, my faaaavorite part~
There are two types of Spider-Man fans:    
The Gwen Stacies and the MJ Watsons. I'm definitely the latter, so I say it with gusto that GWEN STACY HAS DIIIIEEEEED!!! Yeah!

But aside from that part the movie was so slow and boring that I almost fell asleep. It took forever to start and when it finally did the actually hero vs villain fighting was cut to a minimum. The best part was from the villain team up to my favorite part, but that was only like a 20 minute chunk out of a 144 minute movie. But I would gladly pay the price just to see my favorite part again and again and again~ Ahhhh...

Last edited by TurtwigX; May 8, 2014 at 06:48:35 PM.
Old May 4, 2014, 03:07:01 PM
Haxorus

Watching the whole Star Wars Saga for Star Wars day.
Old May 8, 2014, 07:00:49 PM
Giratina

Decided to watch Spider-Man 3 again even though I don't like it, just to compare it to The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I liked a few parts, just like with TASM2, mainly the scenes involving dark Peter and everything with the Sandman (lovely character<3). Others just didn't feel as whole as the other two movies and I feel like they tried to fit too much into 1 movie (and I REALLY can't stand it when they kill off villains in their introductory movie.) TASM2 also tried to fit in about 3 different focuses with their own complexities and so the general pacing felt... off.

I also had to compare actors. Kirsten Dunst and Emma Stone play their roles excellently. However, Tobey Maguire will always be more of Spider-Man than Andrew Garfield could ever hope to be.
Old May 9, 2014, 06:40:39 AM

I saw Cinderella Man with MattyBrollic and Cowboy a week ago. It was a good movie!
Old June 6, 2014, 08:20:09 PM
Giratina

Last week I saw Monty Python and The Holy Grail for the first time, surprisingly. I thought I would've seen the movie a long time ago. It was just as incredibly hilarious as I thought it would be, if not more. Now that I've done that I have to go on to the Life of Brian and keep a close eye out for Georgie H, I KNOW HE'S IN THERE.
Old June 21, 2014, 05:55:54 PM
Mudkip

A Million Ways to Die in the West.

My dad's work paid for it all, food and everything, but it was actually pretty enjoyable. c: I liked it. A bit vulgar, but nothing I haven't heard of before.
Old July 18, 2014, 11:16:19 PM
Charizard

Watched Hot Fuzz again. After 7 years it still hasn't got old. The more I watch it the more I love it. So sad Edgar Wright does not get much success in the USA.